10.4.9 Update - Common Questions and Answers

errandwolfe

134 posts in this topic

Yes the thread is : 10.4.9 Update - Common Questions and Answers, Hope this helps a bit...

My Common Questions and Answers are about 10.4.8 and natural update to 10.4.9

My question are common on GEFORCE 6100 and other hardware .

Sorry direct me to the right thread.

thanks for the support

Hi, and thank to all of you for the great work going on!

MB is P5LD2VM-DH w/ 6300 1.86 GHz, 2 GB RAM, MSI 7600GS (fanless)

Upated from 10.4.8 JaS SSE2/SSE3 W/ PPF1 using Koolkal's package (netkas kernel 8.9.1 from march 15)

everything went smooth, the system is functional and stable.

Improvements:

Previously, the ethernet connexion needed to be unplugged/replugged after every boot to have it correctly configured with DHCP. Now it is working just as it should.

Issues:

"About this mac" reports now 1.4 Ghz Intel core 2 duo instead of 1.86 previously. 2 cores working

xbench score (without disk) dropped from 146 to 106 which is about the same ratio.

the board was previously recognized as "ADP2,1", now it is "ACPI".

I suspect a FSB problem, maybe ACPI

Going to try the kernel on IRC.

Any hints appreciated... still a bit unfamiliar with osx internals.

VDG

Solved

Speed problem solved with a fresh (April 20) kernel (April 20) from IRC. Processor speed correctly identified again.

Then I added the security update 4/2007 while saving/restoring CarbonCore.framework & loginwindow.app as recommended. no problems there.

so (at least for this hardware configuration) the 19.4.9 upgrade was clearly a winner.

Groovy! :thumbsdown_anim:

I did not have any more luck with the Myzar release then the original tubgirl release. Both releases when going from a clean JaS 10.4.8 lock up right when the kernel appears to be loading. Have tried both safe and single user mode and am totally unable to boot. This is of course on my laptop with the infamous x200 chipset.

Solved

Speed problem solved with a fresh (April 20) kernel (April 20) from IRC. Processor speed correctly identified again.

Then I added the security update 4/2007 while saving/restoring CarbonCore.framework & loginwindow.app as recommended. no problems there.

so (at least for this hardware configuration) the 19.4.9 upgrade was clearly a winner.

Groovy! :thumbsup_anim:

You have nice hakintosh gruyere.

loginwindow.app from 10.4.4 original file have several bug security

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=49396

Hi Alessandro17,

currently I am running that update, it's marvellous. Beware though to download the IOUSB patch from Apple, otherwise after restart, the USB keyb and mouse will not work, only PS2 ones!!!

I followed this 10.4.9 update procedure-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=45283&hl=

It worked great- and a quick procedure! Just make sure to backup the specified files, and before restarting restore them! Loginwindow.app had to be backed up and restored as well after restart. You can then run the April 2007 Security Update through Apple.

System - Dell 4600 - Intel SSE2

:police: Thanks everyone! :thumbsup_anim:

no, you don't really need the update. if everything is working to your satisfaction enjoy 10.4.8. once you feel comfortable backing up your system and restoring, then you can experiment with 10.4.9 - nothing gained by upgrading.

Thank you ...Thats what I really needed to know.

I'm hoping 10.5 will be a bit easier to update to.. :hysterical:

Hi,

I installed a couple of month ago mac x86 v. 10.4.1 (I don't remember the right number, maybe the 10.4.2 - I think it is the first release of mac x86) on my Dell M90 (Intel Centrino Duo 2 - nvidia quadro fx2500). As with this version many devices don't work (ethernet card, wireless, usb, and video is poor) I was guessing if installing the last version could help me. Anyway I want to ask to forum's friends if there is an update patch to install or if I have to install the new version over the older one. Can someone also give me a link to download the patch or the 10.4.9 version?

Another question: I wish to install this version also on a workstation with 2 AMD Opteron 290, a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm video card and SCSI disks (the controller is an LSI built in the Tyan S2895 mobo). Does anyone know if I will find the drivers for all these devices? Can I eventually use the same release of the one I will use for my laptop (with an Intel cpu) or should I look for an AMD version?

Thank you very much!

federico

I installed a couple of month ago mac x86 v. 10.4.1 (I don't remember the right number, maybe the 10.4.2 - I think it is the first release of mac x86) on my Dell M90 (Intel Centrino Duo 2 - nvidia quadro fx2500). As with this version many devices don't work (ethernet card, wireless, usb, and video is poor) I was guessing if installing the last version could help me. Anyway I want to ask to forum's friends if there is an update patch to install or if I have to install the new version over the older one.
I would recommend that you install 10.4.8 from scratch to avoid complications. Yes, the newer versions is ages ahead of 10.4.2.

Can someone also give me a link to download the patch or the 10.4.9 version?

No links allowed in this forum. Search the bay of pirates or the little green demon.

Another question: I wish to install this version also on a workstation with 2 AMD Opteron 290, a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm video card and SCSI disks (the controller is an LSI built in the Tyan S2895 mobo). Does anyone know if I will find the drivers for all these devices?
Feel free to use the search functions and look into the hardware compatibility list:

http://wiki.osx86project.org (the lists are right in the front page for each OSX version).

Can I eventually use the same release of the one I will use for my laptop (with an Intel cpu) or should I look for an AMD version?
I recommend tubgirl's release for AMD PCs and JaS for Intel based machines.

Thank you very much!

federico

You're welcome,

hecker

I tend to disagree with that as I am using JaS's installDVD on my AMD with no problems.

anyway thats my 2 cents

:)

yeah... but aren't you running 10.4.8 (thats what sig says). This thread is only in regards to 10.4.9

If you are running JaS 10.4.9 on your AMD as described in specs I'd really love to hear more details on this, as I have a very similar setup (see my sig for my specs)...