[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

i know this is a really old post, but just for reference, if anybody is wanting to resuse the old standoffs, they accept "switchbox" screws. im not sure of their exact specifications, but that is what they are called here in the UK. they are in between m3 and m3.5 with a tighter thread i believe!

just thought it would be good to add to the archives!!

haven't mounted the board. the m3.5 screws I got didn't end up fitting the G5 standoffs, so I have set of G5 case screws coming.

by the way ultimeus, here is a better explained version of the power switch/led wiring. good luck my friend, hope it helps you out!

Edited by ѕӎѳѳҭңӌ

The power button shares the firewire ground. If you have not connected the firewire up right, then the frontpanel wont work as it was intended to. You are not supposed to be using "pow switch -", the power switch ground actually shares the firewire ground. The cable labeled firewire ground needs to be connected to a ground pin on your motherboard. If your board has no firewire header, then running it to a usb ground pin might work.

I'm having problems wiring front, I follow this diagram, usb works but power led and switch doesn't work.

I try with ground and without.

Edit: I play with cables, I find how to boot using : Pow led - , power sw + , pow switch - , Pow led +

But led only works when pushing button

powermacg5frontpanelpe8.th.jpg

You can use the ground for the PowerSwitch, if you are not using the Firewire. So the Ground will be the PW+ and the other one would be PW- and you have one wire for LED

So I ended up buying 2 G5 Cases, 1 in good condition and beaten up pretty badly. However the one in bad condition has the dvd and hd trays which i successfully extracted and put into the new case. Any one have any suggetions on removing the power button piece. I got the usb,fw,and audio panel out. I just cant get that final piece on the power button that surrounds the actual button.

Waouw, it"s been a long I took it out, but I remember there is this tiny piece of metal which keeps the part in position. have to look for a picture in this same thread.

Edit : my memory was not correct. Just had a look to a spare part .There is indeed a piece of metal which hold the panel in place . It is an open circle , you have to lift it up to liberate the power button. Will add some pix later.

What i am trying to do exactly is remove the metal that holds the button in its place. Because I need to remove the button from one case and put it into another. The metal appears to be welded on here or something. It is the metal bezel that is viewable from the outside of the case, the stops the button from falling out. That is what I am tryng to remove.

What i am trying to do exactly is remove the metal that holds the button in its place. Because I need to remove the button from one case and put it into another. The metal appears to be welded on here or something. It is the metal bezel that is viewable from the outside of the case, the stops the button from falling out. That is what I am tryng to remove.

You mean the button you're pushing on to start the computer ?

Well first you have to liberate the green button panel, then you will acces to the piece which hold the button in place, just lift it and you button is free. BTW, we are talking about the G5 case ? I have to check, eventually, with my Mac Pro case if the button are identically kept in place.

About the screws, try any which fit the Drive holes.

Here some pix, difficult to do inside the case because of the brightness, I took the pix with the removed parts on the table . ;)

Left of the green panel, the light grey spot is the open circle which maintains the panel in place.

Right of the green panel, the bright grey spot is the metal piece under the green panel which maintains the button in place.

post-101875-1228894481_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1228894496_thumb.jpg

Once the panel button out,

post-101875-1228894237_thumb.jpg

you will see the metal keeping the button in place and underneath the button itself

post-101875-1228894267_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1228894290_thumb.jpg

Now you only have to put back the parts in the other case in the reverse order. :D

I use this to extract the parts :

post-101875-1228895996_thumb.jpg

Here some pix, difficult to do inside the case because of the brightness, I took the pix with the removed parts on the table . :)

Left of the green panel, the light grey spot is the open circle which maintains the panel in place.

Right of the green panel, the bright grey spot is the metal piece under the green panel which maintains the button in place.

post-101875-1228894481_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1228894496_thumb.jpg

Once the panel button out,

post-101875-1228894237_thumb.jpg

you will see the metal keeping the button in place and underneath the button itself

post-101875-1228894267_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1228894290_thumb.jpg

Now you only have to put back the parts in the other case in the reverse order. :D

I use this to extract the parts :

post-101875-1228895996_thumb.jpg

I have all of those parts you extracted, however my case does not have the housing on the front panel to hold all the buttons pieces together, any suggestions? If i were to put my button assembly in now it wouldnt stay together and would fall through the front. Your second picture shows it best, the housing that the actual button circuit board itself is attached too

I have all of those parts you extracted, however my case does not have the housing on the front panel to hold all the buttons pieces together, any suggestions? If i were to put my button assembly in now it wouldnt stay together and would fall through the front. Your second picture shows it best, the housing that the actual button circuit board itself is attached too

Could you upload a pix of the front of your case ? I am afraid to understand that there is a big hole in the front panel case ??

Which case is it ? G5 or Mac Pro ?

If look at your case from the outside with the button removed, u will see a little silver ring on the inside of the hole where the button fits in. I do not have that. And also if u look from the inside with the button removed, u will see like a little circle that the button pieces fits into..i dont haev that either Any suggestiosn?

Any idea what screws size works for the hd tray, or mounting the dvd drive?

edit: its a g5 case

What i am trying to do exactly is remove the metal that holds the button in its place. Because I need to remove the button from one case and put it into another.

And also if u look from the inside with the button removed, u will see like a little circle that the button pieces fits into

I think I start to understand. The easier way of the two possibilities is to cut out the front panel case and transfert it with the all button system from one case to the other. The less easier is to cut and transfert just the button system, because you have to cut both button system and use a special metal glue .

If you want to transfert the hole front panel I can send pix of separate panels showing where to unscrew and where to cut with a dremel. I used this way to transfert the back panel from one G5 case to another.

About the screws I don't know the size, but what is used to secure the PCI cards or to attach the Drives inside the G3 and G4 towers should fit. Will add pix.

well all i am waiting on now is my water cooling parts, some m3 rod, i need to sort out the g5 mobo and solder up the front panel and the one drive fan i saved.

i got my parts:

Intel Core i7 920 @2.66 (thus the PowerMac i7)

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3

LG GGC-H20L Bluray

1TB Western Digital WD1001FALS Black (OS X)

1.5TB Seagate ST31500341AS Barracuda. (time machine and windows)

Ati Radeon 4870x2 (for windows)

Nvidia 7300GT (for OS X)

i already have it set up and running leopard, and its a great system, much more powerful than my mac pro. will post some pictures when its in the case. its currently running "naked" on my desk.

also got a new monitor, i have been wondering whether to do it or not, but i bit the bullet and got a 30" dell. WOW, its fantastic. it leaves me speechless.

Geekbench score 8031! works mac pro only gets 4200 something, that has 10gb of ram, and a radeon x1900xt!! this is stock, i will be overclocking this as well!

Nice mod's everybody. Im doing a G5 mod with EFI-X compatible parts and unmodified back panel. Anyone know where I can get a short cheap firewire 9pin to firewire 9pin panel mount cable? And some G5 standoff screws? Went to my local hardware store and the have a lot of screws, but we didn't find a screw that fitted.

Also, Im trying to get the G5 front panel to work. Can anyone help me, and maybe make a little picture of this for me? This is the front panel plugs on the motherboard looks like:

pinout.png

I just need help with the power button and led, I think I can handle USB, Firewire and sound ;).

Thanks in advance! :)

Nice mod's everybody. Im doing a G5 mod with EFI-X compatible parts and unmodified back panel. Anyone know where I can get a short cheap firewire 9pin to firewire 9pin panel mount cable? And some G5 standoff screws? Went to my local hardware store and the have a lot of screws, but we didn't find a screw that fitted.

Also, Im trying to get the G5 front panel to work. Can anyone help me, and maybe make a little picture of this for me? This is the front panel plugs on the motherboard looks like:

pinout.png

I just need help with the power button and led, I think I can handle USB, Firewire and sound :).

Thanks in advance! :)

where abouts are you located? here in the UK "switch box" screws fit perfectly. the screws i mean are the ones that are probably holding your light switch panel to the body.

I dont need the standoffs, I just need some screws that will fit in the standoffs, however thank you. Im located in Iceland and I could not find a screw that fits, and tried many of them! I asked a employee and he didn't know what "screwbox" screws were. Okay, so for the front panel I just connect power led + and power button +? And they are marked MSG+ and PW+ on the image?

I dont need the standoffs, I just need some screws that will fit in the standoffs, however thank you. Im located in Iceland and I could not find a screw that fits, and tried many of them! I asked a employee and he didn't know what "screwbox" screws were. Okay, so for the front panel I just connect power led + and power button +? And they are marked MSG+ and PW+ on the image?

Yes but you still have to connect the ground. In the same post 702, nervouschimp said :

"The power button shares the firewire ground. If you have not connected the firewire up right, then the frontpanel wont work as it was intended to. You are not supposed to be using "pow switch -", the power switch ground actually shares the firewire ground. The cable labeled firewire ground needs to be connected to a ground pin on your motherboard. If your board has no firewire header, then running it to a usb ground pin might work."

And just solder them on?
Not exactly, on the front panel side you solder onto the wires and on the mobo side, the easier is to sold onto the original pc wires with plugs .

You can buy this header and the cables from frontx and look for install internal ports manual Or you use separates cables and headers or you use one big header and plug in the cables in the right holes like for USB or Firewire header.