[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

• Please log in to reply
1073 replies to this topic

CZ*DarkLight

CZ*DarkLight

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Smoothy Boothy: I have G5 PSU in its case, but no PSU bay cover like TribesMans one. I want to get original one, but if I must, I will fabricate it myself.

what about pins - I think somebody checked G5 PSU pinout and it was not useable for ATX because of different voltage etc. Anyway, check it and let us know :(

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:DUH!!
I have checked them out. It is not as simple as i thought but not impossibly hard. The g5 psu has 3 plugs. P1 and P2 go onto the mainboard somewhere, and P3 connects to a cable that leads upto the top section of the case. P1 is the larger of the 2 we are interested in (P1 & P2) where as P2 is smaller, and smaller than an atx 20 pin molex. P1 doesnt have all the pins needed for a atx 20 pin molex, it has 13 grounds where as an atx only needs 7, it doesnt have enough 3.3v's and some other differences. However P2 has the others needed, and still has enough for the other plugs needed by newer more power hungry boards. So both plugs have to be scrapped, and rewired into atx and atx 2.0.

I want to know how quiet the psu is before i put the time into this. I want a silent system, hence all the w/c kit hanging around my room.

**EDIT** I went back over it. There are 2 pins not accounted for. PWR_OK, a grey wire, and -5VDC a white wire.

Anybody got any idea on how to get these two from the apple psu. I dont have much experience with the actual details of the wires, just shrinking and putting on new atx molex plugs.

mspr

mspr

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Also, has anybody used the actual apple psu?

Hi, I have the original 600W PSU and at the beginning I would like to use the Apple PSU... but it has different pinouts and different voltages and ampere values so I preferred to modify my Enermax PSU and put it into the Apple PSU case...
I kept the original Apple PSU fans and the system remains very silent...
:)

Andune

Andune

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Seems like there is no good way of using the Apple PSU then really but im still interested in Smoothy Boothy's attempts to do it. But otherwise its just easier to get a 450W Supply rip out the internal components and just use the case?
Some more info on this would be intresting and if Smoothy succeeds or if anyone else have done it, a guide maybe?

CZ*DarkLight

CZ*DarkLight

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Andune: I am going to rip out interior of 450W Apple PSU and mod there ATX one, I dont want to risk any problems with power supplying of my brand new components. Anyway, use orig Apple PSU can be really interesting attempt :) Keep working Smoothy

Andune

Andune

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well your probably right DarkLight, i wouldnt like to damage anything in a perfectly new computer. I would appreciate some pictures tho when your done.

TribesMan

TribesMan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello again guys...

You might be interested in this little program my friend wrote today. It is used to eject CD tray in your G5 case under Windows using F12 key... Remember G5 case does not have eject button on the optical device, so this is quite handy when runing windows on your "G5".

Instalation is simple, just put the exe under startup.

Then press F12 to open or close the tray. (there is a little eject OSD animation every time you eject the tray, just like in OS X :D)

And please report the bugs :blink:

G5Eject.rar

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
Im still looking into it. Im getting some more hardware later this week. If i cant get the apple one to work and i source a cheapish, decent psu on ebay, ill be tempted to transplant it into the apple psu case. I thought someone would have already done this mod, but it seems not. Im not that experienced with psu modding, but ill give it a shot. Can someone tell me what the PWR_OK lead is used for?

CZ*DarkLight

CZ*DarkLight

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I figured out how to manually run Apple PSU, but it is still nothing when I can't use it for ATX mobo. But, maybe I will try to switch and mod wires to make it ATX useable, and test it on old mobo anc components where is some damage OK. But I am not sure with good result.

robin chou

robin chou

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
How did you get the LED front panel working? Which connector pins did you use because i noticed the pins for the front panel are significantly smaller than the pins on the mobo. Thanks!!

Nice job btw!

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
CZ*DarkLight, can you post instructions on how you got those top fans out? I need to get them out, the hdd rack and that topself. I cant figure it out and i dont want to damage anything doing it wrong.

CZ*DarkLight

CZ*DarkLight

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Smoothy: You think that default chassis fans near hdd rack, right? Well, you have to disassemble lot of things. It is longer story. I will make a photo-tutorial, ok? :D Or contact me on:

msn: jirka.komon@atlas.cz

and wel'll talk about it.

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Smoothy: You think that default chassis fans near hdd rack, right? Well, you have to disassemble lot of things. It is longer story. I will make a photo-tutorial, ok? :blink: Or contact me on:

msn: jirka.komon@atlas.cz

and wel'll talk about it.

Yeh i mean the top fans, the hdd rack and the top shelf. I need to remove them all to fit my mobo, then mod the shelf and the rack so they both fit back in. Ill add you when i get home. thanks :(

np_

np_

• Retired Developers
  • 339 posts
that very usefull thread !,

i own myself one of these G5 encosure totaly new - is till in his box

and waithing for mobo/cpu to arrive,

just my idea was to addapt full atx mobo without to cutt G5 case

i will let you about my progress when i have all to start

thanks !

ps: inside on top of case near HDD's there is smoll board come with case

some one know for what the hell is ?, temp sensor or what ?

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

that very usefull thread !,

i own myself one of these G5 encosure totaly new - is till in his box

and waithing for mobo/cpu to arrive,

just my idea was to addapt full atx mobo without to cutt G5 case

i will let you about my progress when i have all to start

thanks !

ps: inside on top of case near HDD's there is smoll board come with case

some one know for what the hell is ?, temp sensor or what ?

Good guess, i believe there is two in the case, there is also a little board below the hole for the air baffle prongs. This is a sensor that tells the g5 when the baffle is in place and puts the fans back onto auto.

robin chou

robin chou

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yay... very cool tribesman. Could you breifly explain how you got the LED front panel PWR button/USB to work? I am having trouble finding the right sized pin connectors/wires for it. Thanks alot.

Nice job.

TribesMan

TribesMan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
You can find the connection digram of the front panel conectors, light and button in the Apples PowerMac G5 service manual... There was a link posted few pages back.

CZ*DarkLight

CZ*DarkLight

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Guys, got photos from disassembling case to get out top floor. Do you want to make a "post" tutorial, pdf, ZIP containing html site with comments and photos, or.....? :)

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Guys, got photos from disassembling case to get out top floor. Do you want to make a "post" tutorial, pdf, ZIP containing html site with comments and photos, or.....? :)

I'd say posting the guide would be best, easier for people to see and follow :D. Thanks for doing this!

CZ*DarkLight

CZ*DarkLight

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Fine. Here is that tutorial I talked about, describing and showing how to remove top floor.

All what you will need is:

Crossed screwdriver, normal size, nothing special
Torx screwdriver, size no. 8 (for those Apple screws)
Small imbus (imbus = socket head) wrench
G5 case :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image
What do we have here? Torx and crossed screwdrivers in that case

Posted Image
Remove screw catching those chassis fans

Posted Image
We have to remove locking mechanism including that ledge to remove top floor. First, remove these small black flexible metal laminas, use just nail on finger. Remove all three along the ledge

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Fine. Take imbus (socket head) wrench and unscrew these screws holding sliding ledge

Posted Image
Unscrewed one

Posted Image
Put out all three doorlocks

Posted Image
One is out, two left

Posted Image
Now we have to remove small metal circle holding axis of ledge on lever.

Posted Image
Use knife with sharp spike. But be careful, dont lose that circle, you will need it back then.

Posted Image
Removed! :)

Posted Image
Remove axis, dont lose transparent underlays.

Posted Image
Fine, all gone. Now we will move out that ledge.

Posted Image
Put it to this position to put it out. Normally you cant do that beucase it is hold by lever.

Posted Image
Out! :)

Posted Image
Now unscrew the rest of torx screws holding top floor.

Posted Image
Ah, forgot for cables. Remove them from plastic "shaper"

Posted Image
Time to unscrew rest of screws... :compress:

Posted Image
Floor locks in opened position, close them.

Posted Image
Closed!

Posted Image
Now put floor by hand down. It will not go smoothly, but it will go.

Posted Image
Just a little bit. Now catch it and pull it up, just like on next pic.

Posted Image
Pull it up to get holes out of bases for screws. Pull it up above that bases and then pull to right, in direction of hole for optical drive tray.

Posted Image
Bases in zoom.

Posted Image
As you can see, you can't put it out smoothly beucase of no space on other side... You have to
a.) pull it to left as much as you can
b.) bend a little bit backside with PCI cards holes to make space for top floor to remove

Posted Image
Finally, it is out. Just pull it up out of case

Posted Image
And thats it!

Posted Image
Result, without top floor. Now is easy to remove hdd tray and those fans, if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy