[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

Using AppleSMBios.kext from pc_efi v5.2 and 9.1.0/9.0.0 sleep sse3/sse2 kernel from #10.5, I edited AirPortAtheros.kext in IO80211Family.kext the same way like outlined in the first page... and now, I have been using my "Airport Extreme"

EDIT: after a restart, I had the same freeze problem. So, kexts from 10.4.8 are still needed.

Using AppleSMBios.kext from pc_efi v5.2 and 9.1.0/9.0.0 sleep sse3/sse2 kernel from #10.5, I edited AirPortAtheros.kext in IO80211Family.kext the same way like outlined in the first page... and now, I have been using my "Airport Extreme"

EDIT: after a restart, I had the same freeze problem. So, kexts from 10.4.8 are still needed.

I have ordered te same wifi card you have and will be receiving it tuesday. Can you upload the files I need to modify (or even ur modified ones?) and tell me what to do? I just want it to work when I plug it in :mellow:

Just to confirm that deleting all the device IDs except for mine worked as suggested.

I have the WG311t v3 working now in leopard and connecting to WPA network. I installed leopard from the flat image using hatchery. then installed 10.5.1 update and toh kernel.

rebooted

wireless was detected but

Connecting to WPA was causing a complete system freeze.

I removed all device IDs except for the correct one 168c,13 in the atheros plist

Now works perfectly.

incidently in about this mac in tiger and leopard it shows as so: Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x5A00)

I checked in windows and got ven168C DEV0013

Thanks for the pointers.

seems to be a little bit different with my IO80211Family.kext/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/contents/Info.plist: I need two (!) ID-strings in there, the one of my card pci168c,13 and, above that, pci106b,0086. Otherwise the card is not linked correctly to the PCI-bus, and the Sys does not boot all the way through but produces error messages. I have been able to reproduce that. So this is how the section of the plist has to look like here:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,13</string>

</array>

The difference here is that I have a PCMCIA card which plugs in to my lappy's Texas Instrument card slot. For that slot to work I also had to revert back to older PCI and ACPI kexts, which seem to require the first line in the plist to remain there. Also I can not use IONetworkingFamily.kext above 1.5.0 (which is not from 10.4.8 but from 10.4.3).

I AM FINALLY ONLINE VIA ATHEROS WLAN (PCMCIA) IN LEO - DARN .. :P

the solution for me was what Alucard69 had found out before: "I took all other device ids and only left mine in there and it worked fine" - referring to IO80211Family.kext/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/contents/Info.plist. Writing from Leo right now, connected to neighbours WEP-Net .. :P via my Netgear 511 PCMCIA card (Atheros Chipset, forgot which one).

Also I still have LAN and FW DHCP set to off, will switch that back 2 DHCP now.

The connectivity is definitely better than in Tiger, they have worked on that! But still not as stable as in Windows (whyever)..

The two working kexts IONetworkingFamily 1.5 and IO80211Family 1.5.3 are attached. The latter one needs to be edited according to your Atheros card's IDs.

For PCMCIA glitchman's kexts (see sig) are still working. In the IOPCCardFamily.kext you need to swap ADP2,1 with Mac if you have successfully applied Netka's EFI bootloader + his AppleSMBIOS.kext 1.0.12.

Need 2 hit the sack ..

Thanks dude, the kexts you posted has made my WG311t able to work.

Thanks!

I AM FINALLY ONLINE VIA ATHEROS WLAN (PCMCIA) IN LEO - DARN .. :blink:

the solution for me was what Alucard69 had found out before: "I took all other device ids and only left mine in there and it worked fine" - referring to IO80211Family.kext/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/contents/Info.plist. Writing from Leo right now, connected to neighbours WEP-Net .. :blink: via my Netgear 511 PCMCIA card (Atheros Chipset, forgot which one).

Also I still have LAN and FW DHCP set to off, will switch that back 2 DHCP now.

The connectivity is definitely better than in Tiger, they have worked on that! But still not as stable as in Windows (whyever)..

The two working kexts IONetworkingFamily 1.5 and IO80211Family 1.5.3 are attached. The latter one needs to be edited according to your Atheros card's IDs.

For PCMCIA glitchman's kexts (see sig) are still working. In the IOPCCardFamily.kext you need to swap ADP2,1 with Mac if you have successfully applied Netka's EFI bootloader + his AppleSMBIOS.kext 1.0.12.

Need 2 hit the sack ..

The attached IO80211Family kext has two atheros kexts in it. Which one should I edit to get my card working?

I've got a weird issue. I can't install Leopard as a fresh install (long story) so I install Tiger (macdotnub) and then upgrade to Leopard. When I boot up, I notice that I don't have a /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file. Is this common? Is there a fix to this? I am using a WG311T Wireless PCI card. It always worked fine in Tiger, just not Leopard. Can someone post their NetworkInterfaces.plist file or something?

Ok, so I'm completely baffled, maybe someone can help me before I pull my hair out. I've got a Dell E520 and a Netgear WG311T PCI Card. I've never had a problem with the Airport thing in Tiger (v10.4.10 macdotnub). After I upgrade to Leopard I'm getting problems. I've tried the original IO80211Family.kext & IOPCCardFamily.kext, BugsBunny's and Chipxsd's (original Leopard ones)... here's what I'm running into:

When using both BugsBunny's and Chipxsd's kexts and setting my NetworkInterfaces.plist to en1 I am getting the following:

• Built in Ethernet is showing "Not Connected"
  • Airport is showing "Off"
  • I cannot turn "On" airport
  • When I try to use assist->diag->airport->use airport, it just searches and never finds anything

Now, when using both BugsBunny's and Chipxsd's kexts and setting my NetworkInterfaces.plist to en0 I am getting the following (this is where it gets weird):

• Built In Ethernet is showing "On" (see picture)
  • Airport is missing
  • I have an option to "Turn Airport Off", eventhough it's not there
  • When I search for a network they show up (see pictures)
  • When I try to connect to my WPA Network, I get "Error in connection"
  • If I try to use "Assist->Diag->" I don't have an option for airport, just ethernet... and it doesn't work

Now, I KNOW I'M GETTING CLOSE because I can at least see my networks. However, I can't connect. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST ANYTHING? PLEASE HELP! It's 1:30am, time for bed.

post-54812-1195720635_thumb.png

post-54812-1195720644_thumb.png

post-54812-1195720661_thumb.png

Ok, so I'm completely baffled, maybe someone can help me before I pull my hair out. I've got a Dell E520 and a Netgear WG311T PCI Card. I've never had a problem with the Airport thing in Tiger (v10.4.10 macdotnub). After I upgrade to Leopard I'm getting problems. I've tried the original IO80211Family.kext & IOPCCardFamily.kext, BugsBunny's and Chipxsd's (original Leopard ones)... here's what I'm running into:

When using both BugsBunny's and Chipxsd's kexts and setting my NetworkInterfaces.plist to en1 I am getting the following:

• When I try to use assist->diag->airport->use airport, it just searches and never finds anything

is your ethernet supposed to be connected? Can you add another network interface? (the + button in the interface list)

Now, when using both BugsBunny's and Chipxsd's kexts and setting my NetworkInterfaces.plist to en0 I am getting the following (this is where it gets weird):

• Built In Ethernet is showing "On" (see picture)
  • Airport is missing
  • I have an option to "Turn Airport Off", eventhough it's not there
  • When I search for a network they show up (see pictures)
  • When I try to connect to my WPA Network, I get "Error in connection"
  • If I try to use "Assist->Diag->" I don't have an option for airport, just ethernet... and it doesn't work

Now, I KNOW I'M GETTING CLOSE because I can at least see my networks. However, I can't connect. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST ANYTHING? PLEASE HELP! It's 1:30am, time for bed.

post-54812-1195720635_thumb.png

post-54812-1195720644_thumb.png

post-54812-1195720661_thumb.png

Had exactly the same problem. I found that en0 was also found in the preferences.plist - changed the two incidences of it in here to en1 and connected on reboot without a problem. This is possibly the problem with the having to go thought the network assistant thing everytime too.

Hope it help some folks :(

I'm using the 1.5 kexts

Had exactly the same problem. I found that en0 was also found in the preferences.plist - changed the two incidences of it in here to en1 and connected on reboot without a problem. This is possibly the problem with the having to go thought the network assistant thing everytime too.

Hope it help some folks

I'm using the 1.5 kexts

DUDE!!! This worked (somewhat)! Basically I changed both instances of en0 to en1 in preferences.plist and made sure my NetworkInterfaces.plist has en1.

Now I can connect, but ONLY using the Assistant, which is quite annoying, but still better than nothing...and when doing so, I still get the empty airport icon in the system bar that says "Airport: Not configured". I also still get the "Connection Failed" if I try to just connect without the Assistant. Did you change anything else in preferences.plist? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen to me and not to azaraphale? It seems like we have the same config.

Thanks again!!

On another [somewhat related] note, say I want to get rid of wireless all together. Can anyone recommend a good 10/100 PCI card that will work good in Leopard without a ton of configuring? Can I just go out and get one that says it's Mac compatible? At this point, I don't really need wireless and would be just as happy using a wired network, in fact, my wireless seems to be extremely slow. Unfortunately the onboard LAN doesn't work with hackintoshes. Any suggestions?

Ok here's what I did - TOH Install - only post install change was using Natit for dual screen. My card is a dlink520+

1. Changed the IO80211Family kext/Atheros plugin for the card (changed <string>pci168c,1c</string> to <string>pci168c,13</string>) - card showed up in Profiler.

2. Changed the NetworkInterfaces.plist to en1 for Airport - the icon showed up but was blank.

3. Changed the preferences.plist to en1 too - the icon showed up and had signal. Stuck me pass in and was connected. On reboot I have to click on my preferred network, but I can live with that.

IO80211Family version is 2.0

IONetworkingFamily version is 1.6.0

AirportAtheros Version is 3.0.

Glad it helped :)

thanks a ton. A quick question: does your atheros file have only that one entry? Would you mind posting it with your kexts (or PMing them to me)? If I cant get the wireless working well I'll just use a wired connection, providing someone can tell me which card will work.

Thanks again!

Ok here's what I did - TOH Install - only post install change was using Natit for dual screen. My card is a dlink520+

1. Changed the IO80211Family kext/Atheros plugin for the card (changed <string>pci168c,1c</string> to <string>pci168c,13</string>) - card showed up in Profiler.

2. Changed the NetworkInterfaces.plist to en1 for Airport - the icon showed up but was blank.

3. Changed the preferences.plist to en1 too - the icon showed up and had signal. Stuck me pass in and was connected. On reboot I have to click on my preferred network, but I can live with that.

IO80211Family version is 2.0

IONetworkingFamily version is 1.6.0

AirportAtheros Version is 3.0.

Glad it helped :D

So where do I get the versions of all of those Kexts you are using? I am going through all of the attachments posted in this thread and I cant find them.

Ok I played around with it a bit just using the built in stuff. it scans, detects, but wont log in to a network without freezing (open or WPA). Gonna try the fun work around using the assistant.

Update:

Ok I found I missed one of the en0 in the preferances.plist and now it works better. Using the icon will still cause OS X to crash, but atleast now I can use the assist me assistant and log on. So now I have everything working, time to update my sig. ^.^

Update2:

Spoke to soon. I am now getting kernel panics after I tried to send some more trafic over the connection by syncing up my .mac account (yes I own macs too, this is just a saver so I can wait to get the new MacPro when it comes out). The only way to boot and get back into the OS is to use the safemode switch at boot -X, or break IONetworking kext. I found the IONetworking thing out when trying to apply a new one so I could use Time Machine.

Well getting the IONetworking in place with the patched one with those fixes in it was the root of the cause. It is something with the networking subsystem though. Taking that out with the bad permissions showed that since thats a dependency of the airport Athros drivers. I tried to see what is causing it in verbose, but that doesnt display. Gonna check logs next and post any I find relating to the crash.

All I am missing is networking and I will have everything working on 10.5 -.-