PCGenRTL8139Ethernet v1.1.0 (8.4.1) & v1.2.0 (8.8.1) released

orByte

129 posts in this topic

Kalyway 10.5.2 runs without problems on my packard bell iMedia. But I want to know if I can get my wifi working.

Read thru this topic, but I didn't get much wiser :thumbsup_anim:

Maybe cause I been using OS X for just 1 singele day now (in my whole life!) :thumbsup_anim::hysterical:;)

Can anyone tell me if my wifi will work?

And what I have to do to get it to work?!

See screenshot for little more info.

I would also like to know if it can be installed to work with the on-board wireless adapter? I would like to b able to get it to work with wifi.

Please can somebody help.

• 2 months later...

anyone help....

my ethernet configuration actually show connected everytime i plug the cable... and its also able to get the IP address..but i dont know why safari still cant connect to internet..

i try both john and orbyte kext but still no luck...both kext able to get me the Ip address but i still cant get the internet...

• 3 weeks later...

KICK ASS

thanks... this has been giving me a headache for a few days

(sorry I came late to the party)

all my files are autoupdating and it amuses the HELL outta me to be running OSX on my pc-based laptop

now I just have to go after the pesky wireless

Imajica

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just speculating here, but it should work with your PCI RTL8139 chip. My RTL8139 is built-in on motherboard, but OS X recognizes it as a PCI device and it works with this driver. Give it a go, got nothing to loose and tons of internet pr0n to download....

On an unrelated note, I used this PCGenRTL8139Ethernet driver since OS X 10.4 days and popped it in when i first went to Leopard and it worked fine. However, when trying munky's boot method a few weeks ago, i used the opportunity to upgrade to this new driver specially designed for Leopard by some 'john stormdrake' avail from here. Do NOT use this! (At least if you have same or similar NIC as me, RTL8101L)

Although the guy claims he made it specially for Leopard from the orByte's PCGenRTL8139 source, he sets it to Disable Flow Control which causes problems once you download something for a long duration with many peers (eg. BitTorrent). My internet worked just fine at first for browsing for a few days, but once I put a 6 GB torrent to download, I started seeing "TX outbound packet transfer error" like crazy in my system.log and "corrupt chunks" errors from my BT program. I tried all how, all ways, and user suggestions given to fix it, but nothing worked. Many people decided to get a Wii USB Ethernet converter to replace onboard RTL8139 NIC. But in the end I came back to this ancient PCGenRTL8139Ethernet KEXT and my 6GB downloaded great without a single error in system.log or my torrent program.

It may be years old and unsupported, and not officially for Leopard, but I can deff say it solved my corrupt packet errors.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

fellow x86'ers,

I am running into the same problem as a few others i've read. i googled the topic several times but am unsure of the answer i'm finding.

RTL8139: :fixEnetFlowControl - Flow Control IS Disabled

Still waiting for root device

what do i need to do ? (barney style please, im a newbie)

please help me out, point me in the right direction please.

Hey Jake!

Pcwiz release is pretty slick, booting time is so damn fast (12 secs), i dont have problem with my own video card. Its just i cant get the green light of my Tp-link R8139d.I successfully applied the PPF1 to PPf5 but still no go. As soon i restart my connection died. Using Ideneb and iatkos 10.5.5 its working out of the box. Does upgrading to 10.5.6 affect my R8139D? Is there a way to fix this?

My Rig

Asus P5GCMX-1333

250 gigs HD Sata/150 gig HD Ide

Asus DVDRW

2gigs of Ram

Ich7 chipset

8500GT 512 video card

Option that I check

iPc base system

Voodoo kernel 9.5

NVdarwin 512

Intel Ichx Sata drivers

Alc883 address 2

Real R1000

Dual boot time sync

appleSmbios 667

Applying R8139

• 1 month later...

I have iDeneb 1.3 (OS X 1.5.5 with Vanilla kernel) working on a Lenovo 3000 V100, and the realtek card (RTL8139C) works if I select in the Ethernet drivers list the "RTL8201CL" driver.

When I update to 1.5.6 using iDenebUpdateCombo (rev1) the Lan card works the first system restart, then it always appears as "cable unconnected".

What can I do?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brothers

I am really new to the MACs!

I have a problem!

Well, I own a PCI Card with a Realtek 8139D chip!

I bought it cos I hoped me stupido would get it to work!

So far so good!

I downloaded this PCGenDriver here, removed the Apple Drivers in the Extensionfolder and in the IONetworkingFamily stuff!

Then I replaced it with the PCGen ones!I hope that was right so far!

But thats the point where my brain stucks!

I heard something about fixing permissions and stuff!

Well, I did the terminal part from the readme file, my PC rebooted, but nothing changed!

System profiler doesn't show any PCI Cards and Network Preferences do only show FireWire ( whatever that is ) and Built in something!

When I want to configure Ethernet, it says thePC doesn't have ethernet!

Can someone help me, I am freaking out!

Best regards ( sorry for my English, ... German education hahaha )

Hope you guys can help me real quick!

-Flo

I have iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6

• 1 month later...
/****************************** INFO BAR ************************************

Edit: Last Modified: 31/12/07, Leo Link Added.

FOR LEOPARD:

---------------------------------

Thanks to John Stormdrake, a driver for Leopard is now available here.

Files

----------------------------------

1. Darwin 8.8.1 - PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-1.2.0.zip

MD5 (PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-1.2.0.zip) = c2e4ac081c855e95ee4a3af52c2df63c

2. Darwin 8.4.1 - PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-1.1.0.zip

MD5 (PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-1.1.0.zip) = a7cec7c9ec113c41126de8ba877715b8

Compatibility Guidelines

----------------------------------

(10.4.9) = Reported to work with Tubgirl's AMD release - pls. see this thread.

For Kernel 8.8.1

(10.4.8) + IONetworkingFamily (1.5.1)

For Kernel 8.4.1

(10.4.6) + IONetworkingFamily (1.5.0)

(10.4.7) + IONetworkingFamily (1.5.0)

(10.4.8) + IONetworkingFamily (1.5.0)

Other configurations may work, but these are the ones I have tested.

******************************************************************************/

DISCUSSION THREAD STARTS BELOW:

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce the release of PCGenRTLEthernet8139.kext - another addition to the 'Generic PC drivers' project for Darwin.

This driver is based on the AppleRTL8139Ethernet-3 and AppleRTL8139Ethernet-4 sources and extends functionality to include ON-BOARD RTL 8139/810x Fast Ethernet Family devices, which were previously unworkable. The driver will continue to work for add-on devices. It should be backwards compatible with the Apple versions.

CHANGES

---------------------------------------------------------

10/01/07

* Changes on x86 based systems:

(+) Added MMIO access mode (adds support for on-board RTL8139/810x family devices)

(+) To override PIO mode, added ForceMMIOAccess (true/false) key to Info.plist, default false.

(+) Added hard chip reset if soft reset fails logic.

CREDITS

---------------------------------------------------------

- Thanks to Owen Wei for the original Apple Realtek code. This was invaluable.

- Thanks to cremes' OSX tulip driver.

- Thanks to Linux. In my case. Gentoo 2.6.17.

discussion

Problem: On-board RTL8139/810x devices are not detected by the AppleRTL8139Ethernet driver.

Cause: The Apple driver only used PIO access to speak to the RTL chip. But PIO access fails to initialize for on-board devices.

Solution: Using MMIO acces mode works for on-board devices.

Implementation Options Considered:

0. Make 2 versions of the kext using a compiler directive selecting PIO/MMIO at compile time (e.g. Linux).

Advantages: Simple to do.

Disadvantages: Two kext versions, user specifies which one.

1. Make 1 version of the kext using MMIO only.

Advantages: Simple to do, tested and works.

Disadvantages: Breaks compatibility with existing code base.

2. Make 1 version of the kext with run-time PIO/MMIO allocation.

Advantages: Single kext, retains backwards compatibility.

Disadvantages: Need to create fast coding model.

We could have done something like:

inline UInt32 csrRead32( UInt16 offset )
{ 
  if (ioAccessMode == kIOAccessModeIsPIO) return pciNub->ioRead32(offset, csrMap); 
  else return OSReadLittleInt32( ( void * ) csrBase, offset );
 }

But this is not true run-time allocation. Instead, this is a good case for using the features of C++ - in particular, the ability the cast a derived class to a base class. For interested parties, the details are in the code, but the final implementation is class based:

class ioAccessor : public OSObject
{

OSDeclareAbstractStructors ( ioAccessor )

public:

virtual void				csrWrite32 ( UInt16 offset, UInt32 value ) = 0;
   virtual void				csrWrite16 ( UInt16 offset, UInt16 value ) = 0;
   virtual void				csrWrite8 (  UInt16 offset, UInt8 value ) = 0;
virtual void				csrWrite32Slow ( UInt16 offset, UInt32 value ) = 0;
   virtual void				csrWrite16Slow ( UInt16 offset, UInt16 value ) = 0;
   virtual void				csrWrite8Slow (  UInt16 offset, UInt8 value ) = 0;
   virtual UInt32				csrRead32 ( UInt16 offset ) = 0;
   virtual UInt16				csrRead16 ( UInt16 offset ) = 0;
   virtual UInt8				csrRead8 (  UInt16 offset ) = 0;

protected:
virtual bool				init ( );

};

as the abstract base class, then

class ioAccessorPIO : public ioAccessor
{

};

class ioAccessorMMIO : public ioAccessor
{

};

which implement the appropriate access methods and variables.

Best

Hello,

I've installed a clean installation of Leopard 1.5.6 on a Lenovo 3000 V100. It works great, and I could fixed the problem with the ALC883 audio driver.

Now the Ethernet is my big problem. It's a RTL8139 on board controller. Which works good on Leopard 1.5.5, but there is no driver on iDeneb 1.4 for this card (don't know why).

I tried downloading and installing the "Leo 4 all" driver, but it doesn't work. Also, I run OSX86 Tools, which looks for drivers, and install them... It downloaded a "MACG2.zip" or something like that identifying my card as a RTL8139. But didn't work, my network card is not listed in "System Preferences".

What can I do? Which is the driver to install, or the modifications to do? My kernel is the Vanilla 9.6 (or 9.5.... the default on ideneb 1.4).

Thanks very much,

Ezequiel

• 4 months later...

Hi to all...

First of all, been searching a lot, so here's my problem.

My config is the one on my signature:

Asus p5kpl-AM

On board Realtek 8139 LAn.

IDeneb, now on version 10.5.8 (I accidentally updated it...) Darwin version 9.6.0

The Lan worked fine with the RTL8139 kext... after the accidental update, I lost connection. The nic appears as detected., but it says that the network cable is unplugged...

I'm a newbie, so I am attaching the system log and the network preferences screenshot...

Need help here, I've been reading a lot, and don't know what to do...

System_log.rtf

post-423944-1253136063_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any 32-bit version? I have to use 32-bit mode (GMA950 only works in 32-bit). However, this kext does not work in 32-bit mode.

Thanks.

this is for anyone who is having trouble in snow leopard its the 64 bit version and working perfect just install and fix permissions... ;)

Is there any 32-bit version? I have to use 32-bit mode (GMA950 only works in 32-bit). However, this kext does not work in 32-bit mode.

Most 64bit kexts work fine in 32/64 bit mode.

------------

[ OSX86 : ( http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live..../Snow%20Leopard ) (Drivers > Lan & Wireless) ]

Replace the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext from the Original IONetworkingFamily.kext with the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext from the OSX86 site.

Location : /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

And then

Put your modified IONetworkingFamily.kext into /S/L/E.

Run "Kext Utility".

Reboot.

I am using a 10a432 in 32/64 bit mode. ( ASUS P5K[iCH9] + Chameleon2 RC3 r658 )

RTL8139Family_64bit_10a432.zip

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much.

However, it still does not work for my onboard 8139. [Lenovo 3000 v100]

Most 64bit kexts work fine in 32/64 bit mode.

------------

[ OSX86 : ( http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live..../Snow%20Leopard ) (Drivers > Lan & Wireless) ]

Replace the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext from the Original IONetworkingFamily.kext with the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext from the OSX86 site.

Location : /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

And then

Put your modified IONetworkingFamily.kext into /S/L/E.

Run "Kext Utility".

Reboot.

I am using a 10a432 in 32/64 bit mode. ( ASUS P5K[iCH9] + Chameleon2 RC3 r658 )

RTL8139Family_64bit_10a432.zip

• 1 month later...

I would appericiate it someone helps me...Owners of Realtek 8185 has same problem...

MY 8185 shows up in Ethernet Adapters.. But in network utility it says disconnected.. The problem is that Mac doesnt boot up the card on reboot ..So i think what you guy used to make your card work might work for 8185 but i have no idea on how to do that..so i would appericate it if anyone helps me out..

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1818 and Im trying (in vain) to get the onboard RTL 8139 lan working in snow leopard. Ive been trying for days now using various kexts around but to no avail. Nothing I do seems to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Oli

• 2 months later...