Apple Photo Booth universal binary!

autoy

21 posts in this topic

Apple's latest toy included in all new iMacs is a universal binary. The app seems to open, but i don't have a webcam to test it :huh: and so it quits saying I don't have one. I don't even know if it works with regular webcams or only with iSight, so if anyone can test it please tell us.

cheers.autoy

I hear frontrow is not an app but a feature embedded in the system, so I guess it will be included in an update. Anyway, Frontrow doen't make much sense without the remote.

Also could be interesting to know if Aperture will be universal too. Guess we'll know soon.

I hear frontrow is not an app but a feature embedded in the system, so I guess it will be included in an update. Anyway, Frontrow doen't make much sense without the remote.

Also could be interesting to know if Aperture will be universal too. Guess we'll know soon.

i'm hoping like you wouldn't believe that aperture IS a unibin! :blink: but I don't think we should get our hopes up... apple keeps just jumping through version numbers on itunes like you wouldn't believe too. By the time 10.5 comes out they'll be up to version 8 and it'll still be a goddamn ppc app!

Unlike the other software, iTunes is an extremely importany one for Apple since it's linked to iTMS. IMO, when $$$ and copyright issues are involved, Apple would want to be more careful and put it through more tests to ensure possible exploits generated via creating unibins are being reduced. Rather than rushing out a beta for the handful of developers out there, they'ld play it safe and introduce the unibin at the latest possible moment.

Unlike the other software, iTunes is an extremely importany one for Apple since it's linked to iTMS. IMO, when $$$ and copyright issues are involved, Apple would want to be more careful and put it through more tests to ensure possible exploits generated via creating unibins are being reduced. Rather than rushing out a beta for the handful of developers out there, they'ld play it safe and introduce the unibin at the latest possible moment.

It's not like they don't already do this... :(

I read it doesn't have any special requirements regarding cams (only an osx compatible one) or quartz extreme (works in older macs too). I will be trying later on with a logitech quickcam and post results.

Edit: nah, quickcam isn't even natively supported in os x, not even in ppc, as you have to use a 3rd party driver (macam) which is not translated to x86 at http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

anyone tried with a natively supported cam?

Front Row most certainly is an app. Many people have already managed to get it running on other Macs, and I'm going to try it out later today on OSx86. You can actually use some Bluetooth phones as remotes for it, and you can also use the keyboard to control it.

Thread about it at NeoWin: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=389514

As for iTunes, they might have to build (or at least do a lot of radical work on) it from the ground up again to make a universal binary. Or at least it will require a lot of work.

Why? I've got iTunes running on XP, and it is indistinghishable from the Mac version. Seems that they already have a codebase running on Intel for iTunes...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

probably krazubu meant to say photobooth, since photobooth has indeed been universal since it's release with the imacs.

whereas, as you mentioned, frontrow is available as a unibin and a ppc only, though we haven't got the unibin working on our frankenmacs.

• 3 weeks later...