x86 version of 10.2

Dragon

166 posts in this topic

I put Darwin 6.0 (jaguar) on a P3 the other day no problem (in fact it was the only thing that would bleeding well install - so much for it being picky about hardware! but thats another story). My understanding is that its the Mac bits that need SSE2

Well I dont think the whole GUI would require SSE2, it runs on G3s and they go back to the Pentium era so it cant be overly heavy on anything too advanced. If its just the SSE3 apps as well iTunes, Rossetta, etc. that I couldnt run I would still want some form of the Mac OS running on a PC.

cant exactly afford a new one, hence the sig.

hence the extra 3 pc's i don't have and the MACBOOK :(

yeah i'm sure it's possible to get OS X running at some state on a pc without sse2. we'll just have to figure out how :P

after scouring limewire, i found 2 things that caught my eye:

"cheetah_intel.toast"

"marklarpanther.iso"

cheetah_intel.toast is taking way too long to download. the speed is about 500bps and the file is 637 mb. it also keeps disconnecting from the host so dont get excited"

marklarpanther.iso wont download, its "looking for sources".

i doubt they are real, but you never know. if you want to try and find it on limewire, just put in "marklar" or "panther" and it should come up. but i had to wait like 1 minutes before i saw them because limewire slowly connects to each peer.

Cheetah is, from what i remember, 10.0 and Panther is 10.3.

Now off to google to look for those files.

cheeta is 10.0, puma is 10.1, jaguar is 10.2, panther is 10.3

i doubt apple would bind itself to only one x86 manufacturer (intel) by relying on vendor-specific instuctions, when they were keeping builds of marklar. AMD incorporated sse2 in their chips after apple had internally made the decision to go with intel/x86.

i doubt apple would bind itself to only one x86 manufacturer (intel) by relying on vendor-specific instuctions, when they were keeping builds of marklar. AMD incorporated sse2 in their chips after apple had internally made the decision to go with intel/x86.

Apple had been "planning" on going to Intel since Mac OS X 10.0.

you think they never considered using amd chips? Since the introduction of the Athlon amd was ahead of intel, until recently intel introduced the Core.

They actually did use AMD chips in early development kits of 10.2. I read an article about it a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up...

an excellent point :tomato: and if they did use AMD chips in some developer kits - we might be in business

hi people i´ve been reading this topic and i want to run OSX86 on my non-SSE2/3 athlon xp i´ve downloaded the myzar 10.4.6 patched DVD and i couldn´t install OS X (SSE2/3) i been looking a way to install OSX86 on my pc so i got the 10.4.6 install disc and i have the 8.0.0 darwin kernel is anyway to integer the darwin kernel to the system???

pd1:i have a doubt, when i downloaded the install dvd (.iso file) it was 4Gb but when i open it whit winrar there was only 8 files that are around 125kb so is it normal???

Nobody has it, except the apple developers in cupertino and I seriously doubt they would agree on handing it over. Tiger on SSE is the simplest solution we have in our hands considering the information, source and files on our hands. So is anybody interested? If not, i'll just shut up and continue dreaming over a 10.2 x86 being *given to us*.

Dragon

just mug one.... :thumbsup_anim: its probably sitting on someones harddrive somewhere....

Dragon is right.

Lets have a show of hands, who wants to try and get the ball rolling with Tiger on SSE only machines?

I'm in, despite my lack of programming knowledge I have testing machines ready and am eager to set to work.

@ndres, as im sure you've just read - it isnt possible to install anything on SSE only machines yet... hence calling it an SSE2/SSE3 DVD.