Are Apple Users Stupid?

sHARD>>

77 posts in this topic

You know, every once in a while I feel as if Apple users are some of the biggest suckers on the face of the planet. Sure, they are some pretty smart and awesome applications on OS X, but when I see trash like Tubular, I really want to reconsider that thought.

To start, the application can be pre-ordered. For download. Wow, that's stupid. Let me see a *video* of an application, and then I'll buy it. No reviews, no third-party previews, no free trials. Just a freaking biased video. Can anyone say greedy bastards?

Then let's move on to the entire idea of this application. Making a website pretty. I mean, it really doesn't add much functionality to YouTube. It just adds integration. Which is fun and all, until they redesign the YouTube website (which they've been doing a lot recently), and it breaks the freaking thing.

In other words, the whole thing feels like a sham, something which, I dunno, could be kinda cool in the end, but has been completely hyped through an astroturf (that's a buzzword for fake grassroots) campaign on digg. So basically, it's fake hype for a worthless application with a purchasing scheme designed to sucker saps.

And that makes me angry. Why are users so stupid? Such suckers? I can't figure it out.

First, they should be doing something about the high level compression of the videos on their site. The quality sucks. As far as I see, the app is nothing to be offered commercially. It should be free.

Else, I see only one destiny for it.

:D:D

how does this make apple users f***ing stupid? im an apple user, and i consider myself pretty damn smart. i think you mean "are apple users who pre-order downloadable apps before trying a beta out or seeing it work on more than one video f***ing stupid?" i use open source freeware, thank you very much. i dont spend money where you dont need to soend money.

The title does it's job pretty well, which is attracting attention. It's called marketing. :D

In fact, there are at least 20 millions Mac users who buy Mac because it's so simple, and all they can do is launch iTunes and Safari.

And I don't blame them. They don't need to know "computer stuff" for their life. The same is that I don't need to know and I don't want to know why the hell is that Bugatti Veyron faster than F1 vehicle, i just accept the fact that it is and that the car is nice. I don't need and don't want to know more technology details, BUT cars fanatics could complain "Wow you're so fu*king stupid, you are missing the most important fastest-vehicle facts that the universe ever discovered".

So actually, comparing this "stupid" app to those millions users, it's actually pretty damn professional application for high-end users who know what is Youtube :D

Edited by Infamous

how does this make apple users f***ing stupid? im an apple user, and i consider myself pretty damn smart. i think you mean "are apple users who pre-order downloadable apps before trying a beta out or seeing it work on more than one video f***ing stupid?" i use open source freeware, thank you very much. i dont spend money where you dont need to soend money.

i agree (i don't think i'm really smart), but yeah, if you preorder downloadable apps you are pretty f***ing stupid

:D

The title does it's job pretty well, which is attracting attention. It's called marketing. :D

So is it ok then to entitle a thread "Swad is a whore" and then talk about something that is completely unrelated to the title of the thread? Because if so, I've got a lot of topics I need to start up (and a lot of people to call whores)

So is it ok then to entitle a thread "Swad is a whore" and then talk about something that is completely unrelated to the title of the thread? Because if so, I've got a lot of topics I need to start up (and a lot of people to call whores)

It wouldn't be much of a marketing, would it? Plus, I don't think the post and the title are unrelated. Obviously, it leads to "Does youtube and such think that we're stupid".

I think this could be a good topic to discuss about the harsh movements and policies against the Apple users. Sometimes I even end up thinking "Does Steve Jobs think that we're that stupid?". For example, look at what Apple is offering. Why isn't there an expandable mid-range mac? Why do we have to pay for .mac? Why does Apple's computers become so quickly obsolete?

This example of Apple could be extended to a lot of software companies. Why do they sometimes tend to think that we're such a stupid bunch of people to be ripped off so easily?

I think in every scenario, the "purpose" would be selling more and more macs.

Not that it's a major problem for me, until now I could find my way on top of things. But there are many complaints on that. I've seen many people hesitating to buy a Mac just because there's not a single machine that Apple offers with a proper price tag on it, which also is expandable. Most of them ended up buying PC's, which is obviously a loss for Apple. They can always reconsider their way of thinking. Hope that happens soon.

No, you didn't get it. The purpose is a stable tested machine and the operating system with very few but quality drivers. Average Joe who thinks he actually does know something about computers would put junk hardware to that "upgradable Mac", manufacturers would start producing the same {censored} drivers like they make for Windows and in the end, Macs would be just normal PCs with OS X (which would be less stable due to 734 millions of crappy possible configurations and 3 millions drivers).

Yes, there are thousands of geeks who wouldn't break it, but there are also millions of Average Joes.

Edited by Infamous

at least Mac users aren't stupid enough to buy a piece of {censored} PC brand like Dell and run a virus/spyware infested operating system called Windoze

No, we're stupid enough to buy a pretty, obsolete machine with a premium price tag and then "run a virus/spyware infested operating system called Windoze" along with our better OS10 with a little piece of code called Boot Camp. :(

I'm sure there are plenty of Mac owners that also buy PCs and run Windows on them. I love my Mac, I just wish that they weren't so expensive, and that the hardware was updated more often. One or two updates to the hardware are not enough to keep up with the continually evolving PC market. Apple needs to start offering more options in terms of price if they are going to be taken seriously in the computing market. How about a mini wiht an Intel Core Solo that has a price around $400? Actually, the Mini needs to be replaced with something that has a lower price and better specs. By now I think all systems should have a video card with dedicated memory.

The titile needs a change, it's a little inappropriate. Then again it's an admin that created it, so I doubt it's going to be changed.

Edited by rollcage

I've seen many people hesitating to buy a Mac just because there's not a single machine that Apple offers with a proper price tag on it, which also is expandable.

Have you heard of the Mac Pro? It is steal at $2500, cheaper than Dell's junk. I think it might be upgradable too. :(

If you want to {censored} about Apple's current Mac line, do it right. It is just absurd that they do not offer a Conroe based mid-tower (yet). That should should be the center of the line, not the "missing link".

Most of them ended up buying PC's, which is obviously a loss for Apple. They can always reconsider their way of thinking. Hope that happens soon.

I certainly agree with this part and I think it is bound to happen. Now that the x86 transition is almost over, Apple can actually start "thinking different' themselves. But they might not want to mess with their business model while things are going so well.

@Infamous,

You've got a good point about average Joe, but, my point is to have an option. Variety of choices is always a good thing in my opinion. Sure, there could be a lot of road apples produced by the industry, but there would also be a lot of fairly good products. The choice is up to the user. Nobody could blame Apple for a wothless third party piece of hardware. There already are plenty of choices available to Mac Pros. Some of them are really good ones and some of them receive complaints. One shouldn't need to buy a workstation-level computer in order to add some extra functionality. You can't even change or upgrade the video card of an iMac or Mac Mini. That alone is a cause of hesitation. You can't add extra internal HD drives to them. These are very basic things that people would expect from their computers. That is my point.

Edited by McSkywalker

How about a mini wiht an Intel Core Solo that has a price around $400?

I had the same idea back in August, before Core Solo. Apple should be driving market share growth a dirt cheap entry level Mac..

The titile needs a change, it's a little inappropriate. Then again it's an admin that created it, so I doubt it's going to be changed.

I think Shard is having a bad day or something. On the other hand, it is kind of funny to see a Mac site being running by a guy who doesn't really like Apple (probably because he has never really used OS X before).

The purpose is a stable tested machine and the operating system with very few but quality drivers. Average Joe who thinks he actually does know something about computers would put junk hardware to that "upgradable Mac", manufacturers would start producing the same {censored} drivers like they make for Windows and in the end, Macs would be just normal PCs with OS X

This is a variant of the "whole widget" argument, which is usually used to argue that Apple should not license OS X to Dell, Sony and HP. It basicly assumes that only Apple and Apple alone can make a computer that is well integrated with software.

I don't buy it, especially this version. From about 1987, when the Macintosh II came on the market, to about 1997, when Steve Jobs introduced the original iMac, a decade or so, almost all Macintoshes were expandable or upgradable to some extent. Except for perhaps one bleeding edge "floptical" (magneto optical) drive I used before CD-Rs came out, I don't remember any driver problems like you are suggesting.

(which would be less stable due to 734 millions of crappy possible configurations and 3 millions drivers).

Meet Mac Pro. Running at speeds up to 3GHz, Mac Pro not only completes the Mac transition to Intel processors but delivers advanced performance, workstation graphics, and up to 4.9 million possible configurations.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Have you heard of the Mac Pro? It is steal at 2500, cheaper than Dell's junk. I think it might be upgradable too. :whistle:
$2500 is still way too expensive to be able to perform basic upgrades like inserting a new video card or a non-USB sound card.

If you want to {censored} about Apple's current Mac line, do it right. It is just absurd that they do not offer a Conroe based mid-tower (yet). That should should be the center of the line, not the "missing link".
I'm not trying to {censored} about it, it was just an example and it grew to this. What's the should should thing? A song? :rolleyes: (j/k)

Conroe based mid-tower.. I'd definitely go for it. :)

I'm not trying to {censored} about it...

Conroe based mid-tower.. I'd definitely go for it. :rolleyes:

Well I the lack of Conroe mid-tower (or even any kind of a serious HTPC, now that Apple is very much pushing video) is worth bitching about. If Apple does not introduce something to fill the massive gap between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro (and the iMac does not for two obvious reasons), they are making a big mistake.

People have been screeming for a Conroe Mac for months and I had thought it would be introduced in September (with a 965 chipset). That had better be "one more thing" that Steve pulls out at MacWorld in January, or I think there is going to be some much more serious bitching, hopefully by AAPL stockholders.

Meet Mac Pro. Running at speeds up to 3GHz, Mac Pro not only completes the Mac transition to Intel processors but delivers advanced performance, workstation graphics, and up to 4.9 million possible configurations.

:)

Yes. "Possible configurations". Not pieces of hardware. But actually you can choose from 3 graphics cards, add more memory or use faster CPU.

You are not adding any junk peripherals...

But, of course, i understand what are you and everybody's trying to say.

Edited by Infamous

yeah i know what you mean. I need a 24 inch lcd screen with portait mode. So what choices do i have. I want also midrange machine with it. The imac 24 not portrait mode and when i want to upgrade i need a new lcd too. So this one we forget.

A minimac then? Its a nice computer but the specs are way to low. slow hd, no enough mem, graphics to slow and to less memory. no mm.

The powermac that an highend machine with a higend pricetag and its to bulky to my shuttle is way smaller and looks nicer.

Apple should make something like a midi mac, the performance of a iMac but without the lcd option and in a small box, a cube.

So until that i keep my pc with xp and osx.

i agree with mr.MCskywalker.

Apple must have multiple configurations of hardware so they can reach a bigger part of the market, until then they always be "cool but to expensive for me, and i can even do it an upgrade" come on !.

to Shard, i think the title its good enough.Mac users always seems like they were in love of Steve Jobs and his overpriced products.

greetings

lmao theres four breeds of mac user:

1. The normal person who uses osx because they prefer it over windows or *nix and are just normal people.

2. The full of themselves mac user, these bug me the most, they think they should try to force you to get a mac because they think its better or cooler.

3. Graphics professionals, they dont need describing but use apple because they have that market locked down because photoshop used to be only for mac (among other things)

4. The f***ing retarded ones who use mac because they were suckered into it and cant figure anything out, theyre in the apple store all the time, they bug me too, they have to go to the apple store just to ask how to put it into sleep mode or somesuch blatantly obvious thing....

this is aimed at two and four, and the sham will probably work on them too... but they are the minority (thank god.)