New Parallels Beta Build 3036 Released

Colonel

109 posts in this topic

I'm another one whose keyboard and mouse won't work. The mouse just moves down into the Lower Right corner when I move it anywhere, and they keyboard wont work.

But they will work if I don't install the parallel tools on the XP drive. And the malfunctioning kb/mouse work again after uninstalling the tools on XP.

I'm on AMD 3400+, 10.4.8 (Beta8)

I saw a solution to the mouse drift problem on the parallels message board. You need to turn up video hardware acceleration to full in XP. Go to display properties, settings tab, advanced, then troubleshooting tab. That's apparently fixed this problem for others.

I have Windows installed on a second hard drive and after installing the parallels tools on the windows partition the bootcamp selection on Parallels is still greyed out. I read the parallels forums and it seem like thtat is a known issue has anyone found a workaraound for that?

Current beta apparently requires a GUID partition map and the XP partition on the same drive as Mac OS X, like the Boot Camp repartitioner creates.

I assume they will fix this for Mac Pro users - and Hackintosh ones, too.

i tried uninstalling the tools in XP (booted native). parallels then couldnt boot at all.

so i reinstalled the tools, checked boot.ini and found that they're using a modified kernel and HAL, as well as a hardware profile (i think this is because Parallels doesnt support ACPI) i copied the relevant files, uninstalled the tools, then replaced the patched kernel, hal and boot.ini, and created a new hardware profile.

result - exactly the same - i can boot in parallels to desktop, but mouse and keyboard are nonresponsive.

tried a USB keyboard (got 5-10 sec message), tried USB mouse - could connect that ok, got the 'doo-ding' windows device connected noise, but no joy.

ANYONE got any ideas? this is driving me nuts! (doctor, my {censored} thinks its a steering wheel...)

does anybody know if -

1, Parallels can boot a Boot Camp Windows 2003 or 2000 install

2, Parallels can boot a Boot Camp Linux install? (if it will boot a Windows XP without the tools installed this suggests to me anything will boot, no?) Linux doesnt have the same restrictions on multiple hardware does it?

3, Lastly, can Parallels boot XP from a triple booted setup, or does it need to be a 'strict' Boot Camp setup?

cheers!

SO I will need the audio-in to be supported in my ALC888 using AppleHDA to get the sound working in Parallels but someone told me that it is EMULATED so it is not necessary to have that feature. I am confused here.

I want to ask question. Is it possible to use my XP partition to boot Parallels from it or that is only for users who have boot camp (Original Mac users) and how to do that?

Thanks in advance

I had to remove the installion check in the resources of the installation file and also had to remove the check in the info.plist. Anyone else had this 'problem' ? It said that my mac (hac) wasn't compatible. But it installed fine with the checks removed so I guess it doesn't matter right? Running semthex on AMD sse3 btw.

I had to remove the installion check in the resources of the installation file and also had to remove the check in the info.plist. Anyone else had this 'problem' ? It said that my mac (hac) wasn't compatible. But it installed fine with the checks removed so I guess it doesn't matter right? Running semthex on AMD sse3 btw.

Yes, I had. It simply checks if your hardware is compatible, but AMD and Intel are very similar, so if you delete check references from the Installer and you install Parallels, it will run fine.

Sherry Haibara

Yes, I had. It simply checks if your hardware is compatible, but AMD and Intel are very similar, so if you delete check references from the Installer and you install Parallels, it will run fine.

Sherry Haibara

Yeah I noticed it allready, runs great! It only crashed at the very end of my windows xp install, but reopened the program and it workes very great! Very nice piece of software.

i take it that it is not possible to boot windows from a partition using a custom mac? *cough* on AMD?

Not right now without a patch because it needs a GUID partitioned disk (AKA BootCamp).

Screw it...

Shared networking and host only are both greyed out and bridged doesn't work. Its pretty useless to me without networking.

And I can't get coherence to work either - its greyed out in the parallels tools settings.

I'll wait for final release I guess. *sigh*

EDIT: AHA! Figured it out! I had to open the Preferences then open Networking... select okay, hit apply now, then reboot. Now I've got shared networking and for some reason, coherence is working now too. This has to be the most amazing feature I've ever seen! I can't believe it. FULL integration with OS X! Simply breath taking. Now I can finally run Trillian in OS X!

EDIT AGAIN: Holy {censored} this is nuts. Its so fast that I don't even realize I'm using a virtual machine and I get confused once in awhile when I look down and see the OS X dock. I can do everything I normally do in Windows - and some things are actually faster, like installing programs! The only thing I CAN'T do is 3D and that's a known factor.

well have some bad news for the beta. i have found my first problem and it lies within macdrive and the parallels booting from boot camp thing. once i installed the parallels boot camp tools and used it in parallels my macdrive no longer sees my mac drive in my computer. has anyone else experienced problems with this or have any suggestions. i use macdrive alot to access my mac drive while in boot camp and i also use it to write to a nfts drive on my external becuase fat32 cant have files over 4 gigs.