New Parallels Beta Build 3036 Released

Colonel

109 posts in this topic

Great to see this kind of progress.

The weird thing is that I've already seen this (similar) thing before in 1996.

Back in those Windows 95 days RISC PC users were able to run Windows applications as if they were RISC OS applications. Those Win-apps appeared within the RISC OS windows using RISC OS menu structures, it even had drag-n-drop between Windows and RISC OS apps.

http://acorn.cybervillage.co.uk/pccard/sw.html

Show details of this thing called "Win, Risc!" (which I happen to have a copy of though I have no 2nd CPU card in my own RPC anymore)

Anyway it brings back fond memories of that era. Although I still think its not a good idea to run Windows apps on OSX (or any other non-Windows platform). I mean if you're so desperate for Windows apps then why run OSX in the first place?

It particularly shows how far advanced that particular platform back then was. A shame its gone.

Back to the future now...

Does this new vesion still has the problems with keyboard buffering? The first ever version behaved good. If I quited the program (whatever way), I'd go on using OSX. But later versions all had the same fault. If the VM quits (from a crash orso) or was being stopped, then suddenly all those OSX-windows popped up from keyboard presses made during the parallels-session. The last version I tried behaved much better but still occasionally has this windows popping-up (especially when quit without using the windows-shutdown)

Regards,

EPDM

So you're saying you got it to boot your native windows partition? I thought it needed a GUID partition scheme..

Who are you talking to? The guy above you said he's on a MacBook Pro and it does boot his native Windows partition because he is using GUID on his Mac.

Can you clarify?

I mean if you're so desperate for Windows apps then why run OSX in the first place?

Personally, I love using my mac. But I have some specific applications (like SQL Enterprise Manager) that just wont run on a mac, and I can't lug two laptops all over the country. Helps a lot for web development and some other things as well where you need cross platform capabilities.

I use KDE on my mac as well, as there are some great open source apps that require it. What I'm liking about this is that this is become the first real and true platform agnostic machine -- on any given day, at any given hour, I've got half a dozen apps running in Windows, OS X and KDE, all on the same machine. This way instead of trying to do some kind of weird hack to adjust to cross-platform differences, like having multiple machines (which I used to have), it's all there and all transparent.

yea, to clarify i am running this parallels on my macbook pro. it makes me mad that macdrive doesnt work now. well its a beta and hopefully it will be fixed in the final version. it doesnt bother me that it doesnt work in parallels but now when i boot native in boot camp it doesnt work either.

thanks, ill try it and see what happens. right now i am doing hw as usual, all nighter but its worth i guess its worth, even for something as intangible as a letter grade on a piece of paper. haha man im sick of school and college.

one more thing, i just booted my ubuntu linux to see if it works and it is working good excpet for one minor detail, i forgot my username so i cant login, is there a default one? man i feel dumb

EDIT- well i just remembered. lol i need to write it down.

The Parallels Forum identified problems with Macdrive and installing the Tools under Bootcamp. I dont think there's a workaround there.

As it's beta the fact that it doesnt crash (much) is pretty good. I think the reason they released this is to quiet the hubub about Fusion. And when it comes down to it, this blows Fusion to bits. I really like how they incorporated the seamless virtualization idea from the days of OS9 apps on OSX.

Once this program comes out of beta and has more solid seamlessness (ie moving apps around quickly doesnt show the windows desktop), ability to boot native partitions (like in VMWare Workstation), better disk access to shared folders (i find that a bit of a pain for speed), and hardware access to video (for 2d/3d accel -and hopefully access to my AIW tuner :idea:) this will be absolutely killer.

I'd say this will be the app to wait for in 2007. They got in the game early and just when people thought they were falling behind came out and kicked some ass. I love it.

As for complaints of Windows dirtying OSX (or the intel crybabies for that matter), i'm sure there's plenty of other boards to post to who care. Hackintosh isn't one of them.

IAN

I'm interested in trying Ubuntu under Parallels. Any further luck with that?

I would think a workaround could be installing it under Parallels 1970 build and then upgrading.

Haven't tried it myself, maybe tonight if i get a chance.

IAN

I've downloaded and doing a fresh XP install now, seems to be going pretty smooth.

Has anyone used VMWare Fusion? I found it pretty slow and clunky.. i'm hoping this Parallels Beta makes XP a little more usable on this machine than it was using Fusion.

Ok, installed and running, and I can say without a doubt, this Parallels KICKS ASS!

I know the VMWare Fusion Beta mentions it has logging enabled which can slow it down, but this latest Parallels totally smokes VMWare in the speed in which it runs XP.

Smokes it. Like.. Lamborghini Countach vs. Ford Pinto kind of action.

VMWare Fusion also really bogged down my OSX, too.

This 'Coherency' thing is pretty sweet, too.. especially if you put the Windows XP 'start bar' on 'Auto Hide'! Gives you a real seamless transition between running XP and OSX Applications.

It looks for a GUID partition scheme, so you need Bootcamp to do it. This is a limitation on Parallels which i'm sure they'll fix befor release.

Why would they do that? All supported machines are supposed to be using GUID partitioning anyway? You are asking them to go out of their way to dedicate official developement time to enable support for unsupported machines?

I fail to see why they would change it before release?

well i have can confirm that ubuntu works in the beta. i installed it in the 1970 build and i upgraded to the beta. runs well and a bit faster, i havent tried to isntall it on the beta and i probably wont, anyone care to try and post back. it works as an upgrade but i am not sure as a clean install from the beta.

It would make sense that they initially designed Paralells to read GUID rather than MBR partition tables as that is a standard Mac setup. However, as a number of 'legit' mac users have pointed out, booting an external hard drive with a non-standard partition scheme is supported by Mac OS and should also be supported by Parallels.

That being said, it is certainly up to the developers discretion. However more sales are likely to occur from wider compatibility.

IAN

It would make sense that they initially designed Paralells to read GUID rather than MBR partition tables as that is a standard Mac setup. However, as a number of 'legit' mac users have pointed out, booting an external hard drive with a non-standard partition scheme is supported by Mac OS and should also be supported by Parallels.

That being said, it is certainly up to the developers discretion. However more sales are likely to occur from wider compatibility.

IAN

I think a hack is going to be your better bet.

As long as Apple only supports booting Windows from an internal disk Parallels isn't going to go supporting configurations that Apple doesn't.

I dont own any current mac hardware, so i can't directly refute you (and i'm not trying to be a jerk, really) but this post seems to indicate otherwise.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?...=guid#post30074

Plus I can't really think of a way to hack it either (although would be happy to be proven wrong). I dont believe a PC will boot with GUID, and i highly doubt you can start messing around with Paralells to change that feature.

It would be sweet if we could boot our Windows installs, as Bootcamp users can, but that just doesnt seem realistic until they change Paralells to support this.

Some background on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

IAN

I dont own any current mac hardware, so i can't directly refute you (and i'm not trying to be a jerk, really) but this post seems to indicate otherwise.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?...=guid#post30074

I see what you are saying. Apple's requirement for Boot Camp is that the boot volume be GUID, and separatly required that a given Windows partiton be the last of the 4 available logical volumes on an internal drive.

Parallels does not support second-drive Windows installs, even if they are internal, and that may be your Hackintosh loophole to getting this to work. If they have to skip the GUID check for second volumes then you might have a chance unmodified.

Hmm... good catch.