Atheros AR5005(G)

motroxx

347 posts in this topic

Ok, got atheros 5005 MiniPCI working, also using 10.4.7 JaS.

edit: please note you have to have your wireless/airport device as en1, in my case my built in ethernet takes en0 so it works out fine. (make change in /library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist)

1. Download the official Intel 10.4.5 update from Apple (98MB) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...45forintel.html)
  2. Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
  3. Extract the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 update (using pacifist?)
  4. open finder to /System/Library/Extensions
  5. drag the kext from 10.4.5 update into the /System/Library/Extensions folder
  6. enter passsword when prompted
  7. open the disk utility (/Application/Utilities/Disk Utility), then repair permissions on your Startup volume (may take a little while)
  8. open up terminal, and switch to root (enter sudo -s, enter your user password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 IO80211family.kext
chown -R root:wheel IO80211family.kext

then list the contents

ls -l

make sure the IO80211Family line looks like this:

drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 IO80211Family.kext

check that the permissions propagated to subdirectories:

cd IO80211Family.kext/contents/plugins
ls -l

should look like this:

total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AirPortAtheros5424.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

then test that the extensions works:

kextload AirPortAtheros5424.kext

should give a extension loaded successfully message

then you have to go to System Preferences>Network

a message should pop up telling you you have a new AirPort. from the Show: box, pick AirPort. you can set the options here, i suggest you check the Show airport status in menu bar, make sure you click apply now.

There you have it, fully working native Atheros card! :P

Edited by matt-hieu ergosteur
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks a lot!

Finally get my wi-fi card work flawlessly

Hmmm I got a Module is not installed properly dialog, subsequently I get A.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions).

But I followed the instructions to the letter LOL

Any advice?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm I got a Module is not installed properly dialog, subsequently I get A.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions).

But I followed the instructions to the letter LOL

Any advice?

Thanks!

All I can suggest is that you run Disk Utility and repair permissions again, then manually double-check the permissions on each of the .kexts and the contents (ls -l). They should be 755

(_rwxr-xr-x). Dunno, sometimes the OSX does some weird stuff and gives errors where there should be none/changes permissions on its own :) .

Edited by matt-hieu ergosteur

• 3 weeks later...
All I can suggest is that you run Disk Utility and repair permissions again, then manually double-check the permissions on each of the .kexts and the contents (ls -l). They should be 755

(_rwxr-xr-x). Dunno, sometimes the OSX does some weird stuff and gives errors where there should be none/changes permissions on its own <_< .

Just curious denizenx, did you get it working? if so how?

thanks for the feedback guys :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

how do I change the en0 to en1.... en1 keeps changing back:P

!!!!update!!!: got it gotta change <integer>0</integer> to <integer>1</integer> too

Edited by djpc47

[*]Download the official Intel 10.4.5 update from Apple (98MB) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...45forintel.html)

[*]Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

[*]Extract the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 update (using pacifist?)

I did all that. Downloaded the 10.4.5 update but didn't find the IO80211Family.kext in it.

Where in the 98mb big file is it?

• 2 weeks later...
This work with the AR5006EG? It's the next big hack in my T4210 howto.

I would assume it would, as long as the pci-ids are similar. I believe the MacBook Intel has a 5006.

/library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist

I can't find this file, I've done all the things list here,

using the last zip instead of the original mac updates..

can you post here the config file?

sorry it's /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist, i think

I did all that. Downloaded the 10.4.5 update but didn't find the IO80211Family.kext in it.

Where in the 98mb big file is it?

if you open it with pacifist, it should be in /system/Library/extensions/.... or just get the one posted (i haven't tested that one though).

Hey guys,

I have an Acer 2482, with an Atheros AR5005G WiFi Airport, I followed the instructions, everything went well, only that I don't have the NetworkInteraces.plist where it should be...

Could someone please paste it's contents here? I'm totally new to everything concerning osx... And I really Really want to make it work. I started with WiFi, I'm going to take a look at the ethernet card now, until I get an answer... :)

.marius

http://www.wirelessisfun.com

"Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext"

what?????????????????

help!!!! i restarted the computer, and now he shows me panic message while he charges the system! no way to run other installers! not even the win xp one! :thumbsup_anim: :censored2: :rolleyes: !

i did all the procedure for the kext, i took it, overwrited the old io80211family.kext,repaired with disk utility, inserted the commands on the terminal, but he said that there was an error charging the extension

tried with -v, he says that there's an error on the io80211family.kext extensions, goes on charging, and then stops everything... i try to run the 10.4.5 jas on a dvd but he makes blue screen and stays like that

he works with -x i'm using disk utility to repair the extensions THANKS FOR HELP -.-"

rosetta went crazy all the apps that need rosetta can't be runned i think i have to reinstall osx

Edited by roccoo

"Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext"

what?????????????????

help!!!! i restarted the computer, and now he shows me panic message while he charges the system! no way to run other installers! not even the win xp one! :thumbsdown_anim:;) :censored2: !

i did all the procedure for the kext, i took it, overwrited the old io80211family.kext,repaired with disk utility, inserted the commands on the terminal, but he said that there was an error charging the extension

tried with -v, he says that there's an error on the io80211family.kext extensions, goes on charging, and then stops everything... i try to run the 10.4.5 jas on a dvd but he makes blue screen and stays like that

he works with -x i'm using disk utility to repair the extensions THANKS FOR HELP -.-"

rosetta went crazy all the apps that need rosetta can't be runned i think i have to reinstall osx

ummm... so is everything fine? i suggest you use a newer JaS dvd, maybe 10.4.7 or 10.4.8

Hey guys,

I have an Acer 2482, with an Atheros AR5005G WiFi Airport, I followed the instructions, everything went well, only that I don't have the NetworkInteraces.plist where it should be...

Could someone please paste it's contents here? I'm totally new to everything concerning osx... And I really Really want to make it work. I started with WiFi, I'm going to take a look at the ethernet card now, until I get an answer... :(

.marius

i don't know why you would need to edit it... i think that Acer has a Realtek 8139, like mine, so the ethernet should work without hacking and your Wireless should show up as en1 automatically.

the NetworkInterfaces.plist is in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. mine looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Interfaces</key>
<array>
	<dict>
		<key>BSD Name</key>
		<string>en0</string>
		<key>IOBuiltin</key>
		<false/>
		<key>IOInterfaceType</key>
		<integer>6</integer>
		<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>IOLocation</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>IOMACAddress</key>
		<data>
		ABbTSNWo
		</data>
		<key>IOPathMatch</key>
		<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCIB@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/LANB@7/com_apple_driver_RTL8139/IOEthernetInterface</string>
	</dict>
	<dict>
		<key>BSD Name</key>
		<string>en1</string>
		<key>IOBuiltin</key>
		<false/>
		<integer>6</integer>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>IOLocation</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>IOMACAddress</key>
		<data>
		ABbOATB3
		</data>
		<key>IOPathMatch</key>
		<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCIB@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@5/AirPort_Athr5424/AtherosInterface</string>
	</dict>
	<dict>
		<key>BSD Name</key>
		<string>en2</string>
		<key>IOBuiltin</key>
		<false/>
		<integer>6</integer>
		<integer>2</integer>
		<key>IOLocation</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>IOMACAddress</key>
		<data>
		AAEjRWeJ
		</data>
		<key>IOPathMatch</key>
		<string>IOService:/IOResources/com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic0/com_parallels_kext_PvsvnicInterface</string>
	</dict>
	<dict>
		<key>BSD Name</key>
		<string>en3</string>
		<key>IOBuiltin</key>
		<false/>
		<integer>6</integer>
		<integer>3</integer>
		<key>IOLocation</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>IOMACAddress</key>
		<data>
		ABAyVHaY
		</data>
		<key>IOPathMatch</key>
		<string>IOService:/IOResources/com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic1/com_parallels_kext_PvsvnicInterface</string>
	</dict>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

It worked, using your NetworkInterfaces.plist file :blink: thank you very much, I had a great wireless day ahead. My ethernet on the other hand, was not so happy because it's a Marvel Yukon Gigabit card. I seldomly use it, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

However, I tried installing my realtek 883 sound card, and now I get a kernel panic. I'll fix that soon :P right now, I need to get some *real world* work on.

Thanks Matthieu

.marius