Atheros AR5005(G)

motroxx

347 posts in this topic

I'm using a Netgear WG311T Wireless Card and have so far applied this guide to my Hacintosh (I'm triple booting, Ubuntu, Windows XP, and OSX). I used the first part of the guide to replace Kext and repair file permissions/settings. No results took place. Read further in for a section in which Mattieu said didn't work the second time but after he repaired Extensions.kextcache it did. So, I repaired the kextcache and low and behold I now have the Airport Logo top left finder bar, but there seems to be no interaction with it.

Help is appreciated.

Again, I'm using a Netgear WG311T Wireless Network Card

Sata HDD 30 GB reserved for Mac

P5B Plus Motherboard

E6600 Processor

sounds like you've got a problem with airport not being en1. try editing the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist, so that the Atheros interface is en1, and has integer value 1.

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbOATB3

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCIB@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@5/AirPort_Athr5424/AtherosInterface</string>

</dict>

Is there anyone who allready figured out the "atheros5424.cpp:480 loaded unsuccessfully" error?

All the kexts load fine in osx.

HWID

168c,13

Intel 855PM notebook

I got the same error. Do you have "soft-witch" to enable your wireless card? My spec in my sig.

Ok, got atheros 5005 MiniPCI working, also using 10.4.7 JaS.

edit: please note you have to have your wireless/airport device as en1, in my case my built in ethernet takes en0 so it works out fine. (make change in /library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist)

1. Download the official Intel 10.4.5 update from Apple (98MB) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...45forintel.html)
  2. Backup your /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
  3. Extract the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 update (using pacifist?)
  4. open finder to /System/Library/Extensions
  5. drag the kext from 10.4.5 update into the /System/Library/Extensions folder
  6. enter passsword when prompted
  7. open the disk utility (/Application/Utilities/Disk Utility), then repair permissions on your Startup volume (may take a little while)
  8. open up terminal, and switch to root (enter sudo -s, enter your user password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 IO80211family.kext
chown -R root:wheel IO80211family.kext

then list the contents

ls -l

make sure the IO80211Family line looks like this:

drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 IO80211Family.kext

check that the permissions propagated to subdirectories:

cd IO80211Family.kext/contents/plugins
ls -l

should look like this:

total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AirPortAtheros5424.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Feb  2  2006 AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

then test that the extensions works:

kextload AirPortAtheros5424.kext

should give a extension loaded successfully message

then you have to go to System Preferences>Network

a message should pop up telling you you have a new AirPort. from the Show: box, pick AirPort. you can set the options here, i suggest you check the Show airport status in menu bar, make sure you click apply now.

There you have it, fully working native Atheros card! :(

ok, i've tried and tried, but everytime i kextload, it wont load. i've done the following steps over and over. it shows the permissions are correct before i try to load it, but when i press enter, it just takes me back to the same command line, nothing about successfully loading the kext. i'm stumped

It seems working on my laptop, but when the "loaded successfully" comes, the LEDs on PCMCIA card are flashing, means it's looking for the wireless network, at this time my computer is freezing and doesn't work any more, when I unplug the PCMCIA card it will be fine and no problems.

PCMCIA wireless card: TP-WN510G with 168c:001a

cardbus: Toshiba ToPIC100

Anybody have the same problems? how to slove it? thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

HI

Im have an acer aspire 3680, and i just installed mac os x86 10.4.9 Jas (i dont remember the name of the original torrent) and i have spent hours trying to make my internal atheros work with x86 but all unsuccesful.... i have tried matt-hieu ergost... tutorial, and i got a succesfully loaded message but still i cant use the atheros. Also the sistem/library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist doesnt exists and i also search it on /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces. and still it doesnt exist. I also found another post of matt-hieu ergost saying "deleting the /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and then doing either a kextcache -e or kextcache -k fixed it". I dont understand what commands or where to put them. What can i do? i really want to use the internet on my lap!!!!!!

Please help me. I wolud like also to know if it is possible to use the built un ethernet.

tnx

HI

Im have an acer aspire 3680, and i just installed mac os x86 10.4.9 Jas (i dont remember the name of the original torrent) and i have spent hours trying to make my internal atheros work with x86 but all unsuccesful.... i have tried matt-hieu ergost... tutorial, and i got a succesfully loaded message but still i cant use the atheros. Also the sistem/library/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces.plist doesnt exists and i also search it on /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/networkinterfaces. and still it doesnt exist. I also found another post of matt-hieu ergost saying "deleting the /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and then doing either a kextcache -e or kextcache -k fixed it". I dont understand what commands or where to put them. What can i do? i really want to use the internet on my lap!!!!!!

Please help me. I wolud like also to know if it is possible to use the built un ethernet.

tnx

I have same acer model, but you maybe with different hardware. I have run "ioreg -l | more" in terminal (search for ethernet) and I can see my ethernet & wireless detected, but still can't recognize by System Profiler. So, still not working. I don't know what is going wrong, PCI-express bus or the driver itself. :D

• 4 weeks later...
I have an Atheros AR5007EG in my Acer Aspire 3680-2633 Laptop, I have not been able to get it to work at all. It has the vendor ID of 168c, and device ID of 1c. I'm trying to use it on a 10.4.8 Jas install, and have also tried using the 10.4.5 kexts. Can someone help me out? Thanks

you need to

1. download the IO80211Family.kext.zip file posted by TheTimster.

2. copy your original IO80211Family.kext file located in System/Library/Extensions someplace safe.

3. drag drop the new file into your Extensions folder.

4. open up the Terminal application and start typing the following lines.

5. sudo -s

6. (your password)

7. rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

8. rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

9. open up the Disk utility

10. hit repair permissions.

11. reboot.

it should work perfect 4 you now.

newbie here ... how do you change en0 to en1? I think this is the obstacle to stopping my AR5006x from working properly. I've done everything else, and no go.

in terminal, type:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

look for:

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbOATB3

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCIB@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@5/AirPort_Athr5424/AtherosInterface</string>

</dict>

so find the section that refers to Atheros (italics in this example)

and change the numbers in the string and integer sections (bold) from whatever number to 1. also make sure no other interface in the file has an integer "1" or string "en1".

I've accidentally replaced my IONetworkingfamily.kext with an old version from a backup folder. With this version there's always a error when I try to do that:

kextload AirPortAtheros5424.kext

How can I get the right version of IONetworkingfamily.kext back? I've got 10.4.8.

I've accidentally replaced my IONetworkingfamily.kext with an old version from a backup folder. With this version there's always a error when I try to do that:

How can I get the right version of IONetworkingfamily.kext back? I've got 10.4.8.

extract it from your 10.4.8 DVD or update pkg, copy it into /System/Library/extensions, repair permissions

newbie here ... how do you change en0 to en1? I think this is the obstacle to stopping my AR5006x from working properly. I've done everything else, and no go.

We have the same exact chip so the method that worked for me should work for you.

I had truble when I first tried it due to all my playing with it so I had to reinstall the original OSX 10.4.8 IO80211Family.Kext file, type in some commands (I forgot), fix permissions and reboot. I then installed the Timster's file, followed his instructions to the letter, rebooted and Vola it worked. Alturnativly you could format & reinstall OSX and try it from scrach. I see no reason why it should not work for you too after that.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=TheTimster

in terminal, type:sudo nano /Library/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plistlook for:so find the section that refers to Atheros (italics in this example)and change the numbers in the string and integer sections (bold) from whatever number to 1. also make sure no other interface in the file has an integer "1" or string "en1".
The problem is ... I do not even have a NetworkInterfaces.plist ... maybe this is my problem ... I am only running 10.4.6 JAS. Not sure if I mentioned ... my notebook is:Acer Aspire 5570z (5570-2067)
We have the same exact chip so the method that worked for me should work for you.I had truble when I first tried it due to all my playing with it so I had to reinstall the original OSX 10.4.8 IO80211Family.Kext file, type in some commands (I forgot), fix permissions and reboot. I then installed the Timster's file, followed his instructions to the letter, rebooted and Vola it worked. Alturnativly you could format & reinstall OSX and try it from scrach. I see no reason why it should not work for you too after that.http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=TheTimster
Tried this as well ... it didn't work. It may have something to do with the fact that I am running 10.4.6 instead of something newer.

The problem is ... I do not even have a NetworkInterfaces.plist ... maybe this is my problem ... I am only running 10.4.6 JAS. Not sure if I mentioned ... my notebook is:Acer Aspire 5570z (5570-2067)Tried this as well ... it didn't work. It may have something to do with the fact that I am running 10.4.6 instead of something newer.

Sorry i made a typo. it's /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Sigh.. I got it working but when i shut down.. and turn it back on.. Wifi just disappeared..

Installed a fresh copy of mac osx 10.4.8 again and followed all the instructions on this thread but no luck

I can't see any NetworkInterfaces.plist on the /Library/Preference/Systemconfiguration

can anyone help me with this

Thanks

Hi, hello everyone. Mac is amazing thing while run on a PC laptop!

i have the same AR5005 on my Toshiba M40x, ... finally my laptop works well on Jas 10.4.8 Mac OS X.

I did sth like some topics, but now it seems does not work till now... :o

Error info:

"About this Mac"

software->Extensions->AirPortAtheros5424

AirPortAtheros5424:

Version: 1.0

Last Modified: 2/2/06 3:30 PM

Get Info String: 1.0, Copyright © 2006 Apple Computer, Inc., All Rights Reserved

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext

kext Version: 100.21

Load Address: 0x1ed56000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext is modified

Anybody can tell me what shall i do next? thx a million!

i use the Atheros AR5005 connect with a wi-fi net, share from my neighbour.

Anyone tried it in Leopard ? beta even ? Because while i'm connecting to a wifi, it just makes my whole system freeze :)

I understand what you mean the FREEZE..!

Got it working!!! with SSE2 and Leopard GM

Just get "Wireless_fix_file.zip" search google, its from 10.4.10... install that, fix the 1a, 1c (168c) stuff, fix permissions/ownership. No need to delete kcache etc anymore, its automatic when you "reboot", it will say "updating boot caches".

As to the AirPort "not able to turn on", switch the En0 to En1 and En1 to En0, you will find some error message in the console log if it doesn't work. ie: SystemUIServer[112] Error: ACInterfaceCreate() no AirPort interface found for en1 (that means you need to swap the en ports as in file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

This string: "<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCIB@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@5/AirPort_Athr5424/AtherosInterface$

Will tell you that its the Atheros, and not the ethernet..

BUT signal strength indicator WILL NOT WORK ANYMORE.. don't know why.

you have to manually add your network in the network prefs... IT WILL ALWAYS SAY "Airport: Not configured" (even if you can go online after), so the icon becomes useless..

By default, sound, video (with 1 wire hack from 10.4.10), works on the Aspire 3620. Again expect System Profiler which crashes.. thats why its hard to figure out who is using en0 and en1 (built in ethernet)

you will notice in the console log:

kernel AirPort_Athr5424ab: Ethernet address xxxxxx

M kernel com_apple_driver_RTL8139: Ethernet address xxxxxx

since Airport is 'first', it will be en0, but I don't know why /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist detects it in the wrong order.

Does anyone have the AR5007EG (AR2425 chip) working? I recently got a new Acer 5570z with this card in it. I know that it doesn't work under linux, since it's incorrectly detected as an AR5006EG.

I understand what you mean the FREEZE..!Got it working!!! with SSE2 and Leopard GMBy default, sound, video (with 1 wire hack from 10.4.10), works on the Aspire 3620. Again expect System Profiler which crashes.. thats why its hard to figure out who is using en0 and en1 (built in ethernet)
how did you get Leopard on the 3620? I have a 3623, and I tried using a Brazilmac DVD with the SSE2 kernel from irc.osx86.hu inserted manually, seems to hang on boot.

I can't see any NetworkInterfaces.plist on the /Library/Preference/Systemconfiguration

can anyone help me with this

Thanks

I am also having the same problem. Is there a "SystemConfiguration" kext for download that can be modified to work with my card? Atheros AR5006X

I am also receiving the error when I boot up that is something like: extension AirPortAtheros5424 did not load properly. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Oh, I am running 10.4.6, and working on dLing something newer.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a way to get past the dependency errors some are having? I have quite a few (8), the airport icon is showing up, but I cant add or enable it without getting past these errors.