Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 2200B/2915

tuxx

383 posts in this topic

Is there really a need to update this thread with no development information? We all know everyone is interested, as most Intel laptops have this wireless chipset. It makes it very irritating to track this thread when everyone is just saying how much they want it. We all get it. The driver's wanted.

Let's try to focus on the development instead of how badly we desire a solution. They've already stated they don't need more testers. Just let them code and update us when they are ready!

I don't think it's necessarily dead. It's been less than a week since any project updates...

Hey guys. tuxx has been busy, and I need to know what is what befor eI can do anything productive on my own. I've been reading the dev docs in the meantime.

tuxx, can you msg me on irc/irq sometime to help me get up to speed?

sorry guys, I'm doing what I can right now. I now have more time from work, and I can start to spend 2-3 hours a night on this.

Hey Guys,

I would just like to say I would like to help with development of the driver. I haven't had much work with low-level programming with drivers, but i have had plenty of work with many programming languages such as C/C++/Objective-C and Java. I have also used Xcode before.

Hey Guys,

I would just like to say I would like to help with development of the driver. I haven't had much work with low-level programming with drivers, but i have had plenty of work with many programming languages such as C/C++/Objective-C and Java. I have also used Xcode before.

you should PM tuxx.

Man i so want this fast. Cmon dont give up......There are so many users with this wireless card. As soon as someone gets this working, I am dumping windows

Xerid:

Did you take over the project?

About an hour ago I spoke with tuxx. He is hell busy with {censored}, so he gave me a walk through, and for the time being I'm going to take over the development. I don't expect anything useful for two weeks. My first task is going to be porting everything that is needed. Once that is done I can start some builds. If you don't hear from me by the end of the month, just reply here. if anyone has any experience with any aspect of this, just email me at grover dot blue at gmail dot com.

With that said, I will start working on this tomorrow. I've had a long day at work and I need a mental break. There is good news, however. I have a week and half vacation that starts Saturday, so I will be reading/writing my ass off to at least get a base going.

I'm sorry if it's taking so long. I just didn't know where to start without a little guidance. Again, ppl with at least a bit of experience with this would be greatly welcomed. just email me at the address above.

later.

I am really eager to get this thing to work too. I'm a Computer Engineering Major and I learned C and Unix this quarter. If there's a crash course in porting, or driver development I bet I could help out with further hardcore programming.

I am really eager to get this thing to work too. I'm a Computer Engineering Major and I learned C and Unix this quarter. If there's a crash course in porting, or driver development I bet I could help out with further hardcore programming.

the source is open... go for it...

heeyyy!!! its rumoured to me that apple has provided the IO80211Family in 10.4.3!

there might be hope for this project afterall!!

tuxx

Its sorta a borked configuration though, and some report its missing in 8f111, but in the prior build. :)

heeyyy!!! its rumoured to me that apple has provided the IO80211Family in 10.4.3!

there might be hope for this project afterall!!

tuxx

Just confirming that this kext doesn't exist in build 8f1111. All wireless is currently removed I think, at least I didn't see any in IONetworkingFamily.kext.

As i understand it this project is spinning its wheels for lack of (documented) 802.11 functions provided by Apple. So if somebody were to port oh say an open source 802.11 stack (http://ieee80211.sourceforge.net/) would it speed things up? I'm not exactly clear on what this stack has to do but I imagine it encompasses the following:

AP enumeration and association

WEP encryption (or a wrapper of established crypto routines)

WPA encryption/key-sharing voodoo (probably hold off on this one...)

Reporting of link info such as SNR

Basically I imagine it has to provide the functions (then called by the iwi driver) to do everything necessary to provide a medium that the ethernet packets can traverse?

And another thing, can somebody explain how wireless configuration takes place? Does the iwi driver have to create/manage the dialogs for choosing SSID etc or does the OS provide those, and if so, how do we get it to see the 2200 as a wireless device rather than just an ethernet controller?

I guess what I'm asking is would it help if somebody delivered a seaworthy IO80211.kext or should I not even bother.

As you may be able to tell i have very limited programming experience and even less with ieee 80211 but I will help however I can :D I want to get this thing off the ground as much as everybody else!