Patch for using NVMe under macOS Sierra is ready.

• Please log in to reply
835 replies to this topic

jeanchrijaz

jeanchrijaz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Provide a complete EFI with EVERYTHING inside of it (even if it doesn't work, put everything inside of the folder as if you were to test and run it). Otherwise, there's no way to trace the problem!

In other words, copy your current EFI to your desktop, place generated hackrnvmefamily.kext inside of kext folder, place generated ssdt inside of ACPI patched folder, provide an IOReg dump and place that inside of the EFI folder as well, then compress the EFI folder and upload it.

I did it
Download config 2 (just above)

I put back the link

Attached File  config 2.zip   2.58MB   7 downloads

mfc88

mfc88

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Full-Stack Web Developer (focus in Mongo, Express, React (w/Redux), Node)

I did it
Download config 2 (just above)

I put back the link

Missing _DSM patch!

_DSM methods at _SB.PCI0.RP01 and _SB.PCI0.RP01.PXSX.

Decompiled DSDT, renamed both _DSM methods to XDSM, renamed EHC1 to EHX1 and EHC2 to EHX2, then recompiled. Added to CLOVER->ACPI->patched  (since we're now using a modified DSDT, I renamed your USBs to EHX1/EHX2, so your USB injection should still inject to EH0/EH1, however, there's a chance your USBs may not work, so you'll have to test -- if they don't, use EFIv2).

Refactored SSDT-NVMe-Pcc for built-in class. Added to CLOVER->ACPI->patched.

Added drop tables in config.plist, removed DSDT patches, removed sorted order, removed Pike's external patch in KextsToPatch and moved HackrNVMeFamily.kext to kexts->other.

Try this EFI and see if it works.

Else, try EFIv2 and see if it works.

Report results.

Attached Files

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:skiing, software, classic cars

I did it
I start again....

Hoping I didn't make a mistake this time

No ioreg here, but...
You likely have a _DSM method at that path. But you don't have the _DSM->XDSM patch.

jeanchrijaz

jeanchrijaz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Missing _DSM patch!

Decompiled DSDT, renamed both _DSM methods to XDSM, renamed EHC1 to EHX1 and EHC2 to EHX2, then recompiled. Added to CLOVER->ACPI->patched  (since we're now using a modified DSDT, I renamed your USBs to EHX1/EHX2, so your USB injection should still inject to EH0/EH1, however, there's a chance your USBs may not work, so you'll have to test -- if they don't, use EFIv2).

Added drop tables in config.plist, removed DSDT patches, removed sorted order, removed Pike's external patch in KextsToPatch and moved HackrNVMeFamily.kext to kexts->other.

Report results.

thanks for your help...
I'm unlucky nothing works
with EFI & EFI v2 my system won't start

No ioreg here, but...
You likely have a _DSM method at that path. But you don't have the _DSM->XDSM patch.

I don't know how to do it :(

ok.... all work on my configuration
USB3, messages, airdrop, power nap, handoff apple store etc....
congratulation for your great work
but never mind for NVme speed transfers... I will stay like this
Thank you very much for trying to help me

now it gets too complicated for me and I don't have skills to solve the problem

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 2,912 posts

Missing _DSM patch!

Report results.

At least for jeanchrijaz-EFI.zip, HackrNVMeFamily was generated without --spoof.

This is one of those cases where you really have to pay attention to detail. If you get just one thing wrong, it doesn't work.

mfc88

mfc88

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Full-Stack Web Developer (focus in Mongo, Express, React (w/Redux), Node)

At least for jeanchrijaz-EFI.zip, HackrNVMeFamily was generated without --spoof.

This is one of those cases where you really have to pay attention to detail. If you get just one thing wrong, it doesn't work.

Didn't check if the HackrNvmeFamily was generated without spoof! My bad.

thanks for your help...
I'm unlucky nothing works
with EFI & EFI v2 my system won't start

I don't know how to do it :(

ok.... all work on my configuration
USB3, messages, airdrop, power nap, handoff apple store etc....
congratulation for your great work
but never mind for NVme speed transfers... I will stay like this
Thank you very much for trying to help me
now it gets too complicated for me and I don't have skills to solve the problem

Generate a SPOOFED HackrNVMeFamily.kext then place it inside EFI->CLOVER->kexts->other in either of the EFI or EFIv2 I've provided!

The one you provided me doesn't have spoof! You need spoof! More spoof! 

jeanchrijaz

jeanchrijaz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Didn't check if the HackrNvmeFamily was generated without spoof! My bad.

Generate a SPOOFED HackrNVMeFamily.kext then place it inside EFI->CLOVER->kexts->other in either of the EFI or EFIv2 I've provided!

The one you provided me doesn't have spoof! You need spoof! More spoof! 

i use EFI v2 now with a spoofed HackrNVMeFamily.kext my system boot fine !!!!
but.... always in 5Gb/s transfert.... grrrrr !!!!!

I don't understand ... under windows it was perfectly recognized
And speeds were right

my case is hopeless.... forsake

Attached Files

• Attached File  cap2.png   104.62KB   1 downloads

mfc88

mfc88

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 140 posts

Sounds like an OS issue...

jeanchrijaz

jeanchrijaz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

I have another pci card for wifi and bluetooth (Same to the picture)
I will try to unplug if it works better

What do you think?

EDIT : nothing change....

Attached Files

• Attached File  57.jpg   127.45KB   1 downloads

jeanchrijaz

jeanchrijaz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Sounds like an OS issue...

Tomorrow I try to do a clean install....

mfc88

mfc88

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 140 posts

Tomorrow I try to do a clean install....

Not a problem with the installation, but how the OS is working with your current hardware. 

If it were me, I'd test it in Sierra 10.12.2 and see if I get the same slow result (just set up a "test bench" harddrive and not something for daily-use). Since you've already tested it in Windows 10 and get full read/write speeds, Mac OS might need to be upgraded, or your BIOS might need an update....

...or come to the conclusion that, unfortunately, your motherboard/hardware doesn't configure a NVMe drive well in a Unix environment.

After reading through this thread, there are multiple people who have the same slow read/write issues as you do.

jeanchrijaz

jeanchrijaz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Not a problem with the installation, but how the OS is working with your current hardware. 

If it were me, I'd test it in Sierra 10.12.2 and see if I get the same slow result (just set up a "test bench" harddrive and not something for daily-use). Since you've already tested it in Windows 10 and get full read/write speeds, Mac OS might need to be upgraded, or your BIOS might need an update....

...or come to the conclusion that, unfortunately, your motherboard/hardware doesn't configure a NVMe drive well in a Unix environment.

After reading through this thread, there are multiple people who have the same slow read/write issues as you do.

I just tried a clean install and you are right, nothing changes...
I have a test disk and tomorrow I will try to install Sierra on it
If there is no change I will buy a PCIe card
and I'll probably need a purchase advice for not making a mistake

there is a new secutity update for El Capitan (Also called 10.11.6) https://support.appl...08?locale=fr_FR
Do you think I can do it? spoof may change
with it

Again thank you very much for the time you spent with my issues
Your EFI file with patched DSDT is perfect
I don't have enough knowledge to do it myself

And congratulations to RehabMan for his work
but he looks less patient than you lol (just kidding)

mfc88

mfc88

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 140 posts

I just tried a clean install and you are right, nothing changes...
I have a test disk and tomorrow I will try to install Sierra on it
If there is no change I will buy a PCIe card
and I'll probably need a purchase advice for not making a mistake

there is a new secutity update for El Capitan (Also called 10.11.6) https://support.appl...08?locale=fr_FR
Do you think I can do it? spoof may change with it

Again thank you very much for the time you spent with my issues
Your EFI file with patched DSDT is perfect
I don't have enough knowledge to do it myself
And congratulations to RehabMan for his work but he looks less patient than you lol (just kidding)

Any sort of updates, I always do to a test SSD. For example, I clone my primary to a test SSD, then update the test SSD. If it breaks the test SSD, then I know I can't update. It's a simple way to see changes without messing with my day-to-day tasks (for example, working on a web app where I can't afford the downtime of having to reformat, install, and reconfigure my environment from scratch). So, I reiterate, if you're going to update, do so with a TEST ssd. Not your primary.

Unfortunately, I can't help you out with the buying a correct PCIe card, as I don't use one. My NVMe is in the m.2 port on my motherboard. Only advice, would be to be careful about throwing in more money to make something work!

As for the EFI with the modified DSDT.aml, if it works 100% (meaning, you still get CPU PM and correct CPU frequency, USBs still work... everything is working and functional), then I'd recommend you use that file over EFIv2 (DSDT patches).

Since I changed your config.plist, you should check and see if you're getting CPU PM/Frequencies by running this command:

sysctl machdep.xcpm 

You'll want to focus on these results:

machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count: 1 // injected frequency vectors 0=>none, 1=>loaded
machdep.xcpm.bootpst: 37 // max turbo boost according to chip specs and/or overclock specs
machdep.xcpm.mode: 1 // xcpm stepping/pm, 0=>not loaded, 1=>loaded 

You can also see more info about CPU PM (in particular Min Freq/Max Freq, CStates/PStates, etc) by running AppleIntelInfo.kext via terminal (follow my guide here on how build/compile and run).

Other than that, best of luck. If you need more help, I'll try to help with I can, but no guarantees.

DMMA

DMMA

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

I am trying to use Plextor m8pe but without success. I tried changing pci vendor ids with rehabman's hackr kext with no luck. Tried also NVMeP both in 10.12.0 and 10.12.1 again nothing. Will try with -a but I don't think it will work. Any ideas. Can someone help?
Thanks

Couldn't make it work on Sierra, but running El Capitan on it, using NVMeGeneric.kext

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 2,912 posts
FYI...

Added a patch file in patch-nvme github for 10.12.3.
The patches are the same as for 10.12.2, but md5 sums changed.

magnifico

magnifico

The Special One

• Donators
  • 3,400 posts

FYI...

Added a patch file in patch-nvme github for 10.12.3.
The patches are the same as for 10.12.2, but md5 sums changed.

10.12.3 ? 

uhm ? 

Ops i see now that 10.12.3 it's out  :P 

7 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy