Easy installation of El Capitan (10.11.5) in 5960X CPU!

297 posts in this topic

Yes, sleep is working

I use this kext to fix audio problem after wake up

EAPDFix.kext (found on other site i don't know if can named now! :-) )

Also voodoo kext is needed for my rig and for a correct wake up after sleep

I see in your sig that you have different OS X installation

I 'd try with only 10.11.6 disk enabled and then with -xcpm enabled and 3 kernelpatch that you can see in previous post try to run console app and see if you can see like my attached picture:

I 'd also verify if you have multiple nullcpupm kext installed

Thanks!

yes I have the 3 patches and in console i can see the same as you attached without -XCPM flag...strange

my audio OB is working without voodoo but with patch to AppleHDA kext

I will try the mentioned kext and see how it goes with current settings of mine...if not try voodoo :)

BTW,

10.12 sleep working fine, audio after sleep is good, wifi and BT also...10.12 I use voodoo for audio, NullCPU and kernel patches..getting higher GB results a bit

Wow it's not easy to follow your progress....I'm stuck still with 5960x....my budget is still too low to upgrade to a Broadwell cpu...but these are my problems :)

I want to ask Saijohn, Fabiosun and the Veterant to write a simple guide of everything you changed from the one of augustopaulo, a simple step by step guide so it will be more easy to follow and if someone else want to build a Broadwell system it will be easy to follow a guide instead of reading different posts.

Thanks in advance

@THENIGHTFLYER

Like I stay on purview post, from my side I have done nothing different from this guide. I follow this guide step by step to have my 5960X boot to EL Capitan on a X99 Deluxe ( The very first Deluxe version ) so after a success booting my 5960X clone the same Samsung 840 SSD to my Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD w/ CCC and I use this last one on my other X99 Deluxe II w/ my Xeon 2696v4 and configure the bios the exact same way my old Deluxe board, the only different on my xeon is that I,m not using (-XCPM) bootflag on config, on CPUfakeID I'm using the same as my 5960X, Deleted the ram option on clover config and thats all. I haven't deleted anything or omitted any step from BOA SORTE's guide. So if anyone owns any xeon v4 and want to give it a shot to this guide my only advice is to FOLLOW THE GUIDE STEP BY STEP and then double check the steps, thats my only and humble advice.

SUERTE!

• Like 2

ergot,

i deleted -xcpm clover flag and started with -f flag

Also in my xeon V3 xclm is loaded and registered...

So ..now I am lost! :-))))

Could you check with console app if you have this?

X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper

I can't resolve this error with frequency vector.sh....

I believe Xeon CPU's don't need this flag.

I also cannot registered x86platformShim, I also tried to use vector script but nothing helped no matter which SMBIOS i have chosen.

When I removed NullCPU and voodoo kexts from clover my GB results went down to 23k from 28K...

Audio fix after sleep seems not working...sleep is not working again :(

post-474300-0-44763500-1472172534_thumb.png

OK, I have put back NullCPU and voodoo kexts, removed EAPDfix and installed codecommander...Installing voodoo for Audio and removing patch from clover now i have audio after sleep...but sleep is sometimes not working well...just waiting for CUDA support in 10.12 and bye bye El capitan...:)

@THENIGHTFLYER

Like I stay on purview post, from my side I have done nothing different from this guide. I follow this guide step by step to have my 5960X boot to EL Capitan on a X99 Deluxe ( The very first Deluxe version ) so after a success booting my 5960X clone the same Samsung 840 SSD to my Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD w/ CCC and I use this last one on my other X99 Deluxe II w/ my Xeon 2696v4 and configure the bios the exact same way my old Deluxe board, the only different on my xeon is that I,m not using (-XCPM) bootflag on config, on CPUfakeID I'm using the same as my 5960X, Deleted the ram option on clover config and thats all. I haven't deleted anything or omitted any step from BOA SORTE's guide. So if anyone owns any xeon v4 and want to give it a shot to this guide my only advice is to FOLLOW THE GUIDE STEP BY STEP and then double check the steps, thats my only and humble advice.

SUERTE!

Thanks for your answer...i think the only thing you changed was VoodooTSC kext related to the new cpu, right?

Fabiosun, have you tried adding those 3 kernel patches that you found into my config.plist?

If yes, any difference in performance?

ok..

using @Saijohn config.plist system start

Same performance of the Veteran cpu..but we have to eliminate nullcpupowermanagement kext because performance could be greater

PS

Thank Saijohn, I inserted your file in windows mounting efi partition

Hi The Veteran

my Xeon 2696 V4 is on board :-)

Osx does not start only swapping cpu..but I am not using nullcpupowermanagement kext

I have immediately a KP

But for now I am happy

FABIOSUN

Don't know why but the closest advice that I can share is to place the Nullcpu kext on EFI clover kext and see if it works, thats where I have mine, Im not using the -XCpm boot flag, the CPUID Im using the same as the 5960X. Have you done any CB yet? let me know the results to compare them. In Bios under CPU power management set enable, C5,C6 disable and the last option leave it to auto and try that and post for results.

Got it, so might not be useful for me as well if I cannot boot without Nullcpu... Argh... So tempted to try... but dont want to waste time if it doesnt boot or help performance.... dilemma and contemplation.... 

I have to use nullcpupowermanagement kext.

In that case those patch are unusefull

The bad thing of nullcpuPM is that i can't reach turboboost for less of mine 44 threads, so single core benchmark is 30% slower if i could not have to use it..

my "old" cpu 2696 V3 without nullcpupm kext reached 3750 in geek bench for single core test

with nullcpuPm about 3100

My new cpu 2696 v4 /broadwell EP/ reaches 3100...

but for now it is mandatory to use nullcpupm kext

Actually, I have not tried without Nullcpu... I might make a backup of my current OS onto another drive and try it on that one when I have time.

@Saijohn

Can you boot your broadwellE cpu in el capitan 10.11.6 without instal NulcpuPM kext?

ok you answered no while i was writing

@ Fabio don't use XCPM use the NULL kext and the settings that I told to check in BIOS under power management and u still get the same performance but the CPU don't get stuck at 2.8 w/ out the XCPM flag it idle at 1.6 and 2.5 and so on, check it out and post results. The 3076 and 61228 its much like mine, thats all we can get for now until someone could help us generate a power speed step for our CPU. I will let you know if I find out anything.

Sorry The Veteran...

Cpu does not reach 2,9 3,0,,3,7  ghz steps if you are using nullcpu

As  I saw in your great video..

But maybe is necessary to use it to boot...

with xcpm and the three clover kernel patch you have all cores stressed at 2,8 Ghz

instead, when you are using less in test you see greater step 2.9 3.0,3.2...3.6 and so you have greater scores in opengl also

Yes FABIO single core I think on our case don't go any higher than 2.8, hey but look at it this way, we have a system that if Apple are going to configure a system like ours it cost close to 10,000 dollars from apple don't you think, so congrats and welcome to the XEON club of V4s.

Yes, but all we are here to have higher steps..

Powermanagement is essential for me..

With the diffusion of broadwellE/EP cpu, maybe some hackintosh guru will find the right kernel patch for our cpu.

For now..I am happy! :-)

going on to learn!

I'm going to give a shot to PikerAlfa and see if can give us a hand. 

Update sorry we need to wait to see if SIERRA comes w/ support on power management on the V4 Xeons, until then there it isn't to much to do

Hello,

I've been unable to get into installation. I am stuck at the OSxAptioFixDrv error.

I did replace the file with the "2" version.

I have verified and tried every other "fix" found in many forums, yet this problem persists.

Screenshot enclosed. ANY insight or help is appreciated. I've been trying to setup this system for 4 months. I'm even looking for someone to pay to just set it up for me.

t98ttz.jpg

@ Fabiosun hey guy have you done any GB test on Windows, I have and the different in scores are huge, so El Capitano its not doing so bad at all neither our Xeons CPU regarlees the unsupported status so far. I did a GB Test on Windows Single-2930, Multi- 50479, So despite the issue on OSX w/ our CPU they are not doing so bad at all.

Have you tried to set rt variables with different values?

I solved that problems with 0x67 and 0x03 values

If you use clover bootloader try also to use -f flag in boot arguments

I cannot even get into the install.

If you mean when I make the install ssd, with clover config, which fields within rt variables section should I put those values in?

Anyone else with my CPU or the C612 Chipset?

I cannot even get into the install.

If you mean when I make the install ssd, with clover config, which fields within rt variables section should I put those values in?

Anyone else with my CPU or the C612 Chipset?

You don't have an X99 mainboard...i think this is O.T. for this thread..

Hi Fabiosun,

So if I am interpreting this correctly, all you did was:

1. Remove nullcpupm.kext from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11

2. Enable -xcpm flag in clover

3. Replaced CPUid with 0x040674?

PS. if possible please attach/post your config.plist so we can compare with our own.

Thanks for taking your time to communicate with Pika & BTW great GB score! 

I am following the advice from Pikeralpha blog

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/08/12/xcpm-screenshots-of-i7-6850k/comment-page-1/#comment-6838

At this moment My Xeon Broadwell EP boots without nullcpupowermanagement.kext so I could achieve XCPM loaded and registered if I look with console app

All credits goes to Pike

temps seems to be lower

OH... dang it. lol.

Ok will wait a bit.

Hope you get you beast up and running again soon.

If Pika is reading this, thanks for all the hard work.

Might try to leave a message on the Pika blog.

I would like to advice to wait till pikeralpha update his blog with all tries I have done

I don't need to use clover -xcpm flag :-)))

I removed all kernel patch except that one for reboot fix, I have not tried to eliminate..

At this moment my system is in a KP mode because I have installed (like an idiot) AppleIntelInfo.kext with msr log activated..i  did it in a bad way and my asus has Msr locked

so I have to find a way to eliminate it and rebuild cache

:-(

I was very happy  and I did a noob error

I hope tha clover block kext option will work...

But now I have the clue that also with v 4 xeon my rig can work without nullcpupm with el capitan 10.11.6

Solved my error with a spare disk with old setup..

:-)

@ Fabiosun, congrats on your success. Hey guy would mind to share w/ me the config.plist of yours w/ me?, so I can do some change on mine also can you share the power SSDT.aml that you generate for your system to archived the 3.8ghz on a single core processor speed. Also on your BIOS have you enable back the Speedstep option? thanks for any answer or advice.

Hi The Veteran

I have started with config.plist uploaded by Saijohn,

Then I was using three patch found on this link

for me after some testing only this one is mandatory to have

reboot fix 10.11.6 © Pike R. Alpha

find 554889E5415741564155415453504189D64189F74889FB4585FF0F84

replace C34889E5415741564155415453504189D64189F74889FB4585FF0F84

thanks to maleorderbride to have done a simple summary

you have to install the latest clover and if you want a graphical interface for patching latest clover configurator

I generated a SSDT.aml with pikeralpha ssdtprgen.sh script

I put a new FakeCPUId 0x040674 (all credits to pikeralpha)

August 29, 2016 at 3:45 pm      

I deleted nullcpupowermanagement.kext from efi/kext/10.11 folder

Inside this folder I have only Fakesmc (posted by Saijohn) I think is the latest one released with Hw Sensors

Then, in my case system boots in el capitan 10.11.6

I am trying yet to understand what is mandatory or not in config.plist  I am using and for now I am using voodoTsync kext ( I think I can delete it but I have other optimisation to try)

It seems mandatory to have 5960XPatch by Brumbaer

If you try take an spare disk with a secure OS X boot or windows to mount efi partition and replace or put files that you have deleted or modified.

hope this help, when I will sure on my configuration files I will post, for now I don't want to fry or make damage to cpu different of mine :-)

Use this information at your own risk..i am not a mackintosh guru but I like to try things! :-)

Not worries I'm not a hackintosher either my self, at least you are ahead of me also I'm not afraid to try things around if I get some step by step explanation and details ones. I not a coder and I.m not intend to become one either, so we are pretty much alike. So before I begging my journey one question to ask, those three patches that you mention to get it from a link you posted, how and where do I place them or copy them and if any repair permission after I do need to do. Also could you guide me to the process on how to generate that SSDt.aml plist that I need to changed on the EFI/clover/ACPI/patched folder.

@ Fabiosun, Im in the process to install the latest FakeSMC then Clover bootloader update to 3726 then patch the config.plist w/ those to line that you show me save plist and reboot, do you think all this step sound to you like a winner? I will find out, another heads up, thanks I will post results.

remember fakecpuid..

and a spare disk to recover! :-)

Yes thanks I got that, but generating the ssdtPRGen.sh from the link you post, I open terminal COPY and paste the command line to download the script, curl -o ~/ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/Beta/ssdtPRGen.sh, then COPY and paste  chmod +x ~/ssdtPRGen.sh and last the command that you told me in which is ssdtPRGen.sh -p 'E5-2699 v4' -tdp 150 -turbo 3700 and after that I get -bash: ssdtPRGen.sh: command not found

ahahahaha my bad guy I have to reboot first w/ the changes on the config plist then last the ssdtPRGen.sh, I think, sorry learning process.

download the zip as I said

then in download folder you have ssdtprgen.sh script
drag and drop inside your terminal windows then add -p 'E5-2699 v4' -tdp 150 -turbo 3700

Sorry guy didn't see the download portion, but we are getting some kind of progress here, I did my first reboot and it was a success and that was w/ the config.plist mod w/ the patch strings that you post above on picture also update the clover boot loader and I forgot to update the FakeSMC but I will now the do another reboot, to last generate the SH. plist to place it on the EFI folder and post results.