can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

never had problems with maverick!

this thread is about Yosemite

No one said there was a problem with Mavericks. :) I honestly did have problems with Mavericks. And that because no one told me that booting in EFI won't bring the boot logo. But I was comparing the two of them, under the same circumstances, to see if there is any difference. And apparently there is. For example, I didn't know that, in order for this to work, you need to boot in legacy mode (MBR). Now that I know that, I will most likely use this as my primary booting method until someone finds a fix for Yosemite as well. To me, that's a very important step forward cause now I know that it would be useless to try EFI boot anymore since it won't work.

So don't worry. I know the thread is about Yosemite (even though it doesn't specifically says so on the title :P ). But I think a comparison with an older, but final version of Mac OS, might be interesting for some people in order to maybe figure out what's wrong with the newer one.

Cheers. :)

we are in post install / yosemite here :)

btw thanks for sharing your experience.

P.s.

i never had problems with maverick's boot sequence even in uEFI mode.

@arsradu,

Have a look at @apianti's post in the Clover general discussion thread

"You need to use CsmVideoDxe-64.efi driver in order for a non UEFI video card to function correctly, otherwise you only receive a few basic modes that must be supported in UEFI firmware such as 800x600 and 1024x768"

Edit

In legacy mode you won't need it.  Only try CsmVideoDxe-64.efi if you boot in UEFI mode and have video problems in that mode eg low resolution.

@arsradu,

Have a look at @apianti's post in the Clover general discussion thread

"You need to use CsmVideoDxe-64.efi driver in order for a non UEFI video card to function correctly, otherwise you only receive a few basic modes that must be supported in UEFI firmware such as 800x600 and 1024x768"

Oook...I'm not sure how would a UEFI video card look like, but I'll try to add that CsmVideoDxe and see what happens. In terms of resolution...I can't really say I had any troubles. The resolution is, with legacy Clover, the native one for my monitor. So...I'm not sure this is my issue. But nonetheless, I'll give it a try and come back real soon with an update on this. :)

UPDATE:

I tried with and without EDID inject, with and without Patch VBIOS and I did try with (and, previously, without) CsmVideoDxe-64.efi. Same result for all. No logo whatsoever, but I did get the usual one part black, the other part white, kind of loading. As in...the "bootloader" part is displayed on a black background, as it should, the OS part is displayed on a white background, but both with the same identical loading bar (white).

Anyone here having a: grey -> black -> grey boot sequence?

or: grey -> grey (with a mangled boot logo) -> grey?

Also. The AAPL,boot-display property will only be set on port 1. Here that is the DVI port. DP is port 0 and won't get it until I patch AppleIntelFramebufferAzul so it looks like a frame buffer issue. Oh wait I already knew that. Lets see if we can figure it out ;)

• Like 1

Hey guys, I promise no more slightly off topic stuff after this, I'm not trying to hijack the thread. I just wanted share my guide here to get the black boot screen on an unsupported Mac. Thanks @Pike and @VanillaCracker for your help. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19319629#post19319629

• Like 1

Anyone here having a: grey -> black -> grey boot sequence?

or: grey -> grey (with a mangled boot logo) -> grey?

Also. The AAPL,boot-display property will only be set on port 1. Here that is the DVI port. DP is port 0 and won't get it until I patch AppleIntelFramebufferAzul so it looks like a frame buffer issue. Oh wait I already knew that. Lets see if we can figure it out ;)

So what would be the setting for the HDMI port?

@arsradu

A UEFI GPU has nothing to do with the actual device, and what its supposed to look like. It's the firmware that is flashed to get the device-ready for UEFI booting without using the Compatibility Support Module to load your video bios that is not UEFI-Boot Compatible.

If you use the CSMVideo EFI Driver in Clover, that will unlock your VBios for (what you would hope to be) a native Resolution

There are plenty of places online that you can use to find ROM's to flash your GPU's Bios if that ever becomes an issue. I found a UEFI ROM for my HD Radeon 7870 (PitCairn arch) from few places on the net. Its up to you to find what will work for you. :)

• Like 1

@arsradu

A UEFI GPU has nothing to do with the actual device, and what its supposed to look like. It's the firmware that is flashed to get the device-ready for UEFI booting without using the Compatibility Support Module to load your video bios that is not UEFI-Boot Compatible.

If you use the CSMVideo EFI Driver in Clover, that will unlock your VBios for (what you would hope to be) a native Resolution

There are plenty of places online that you can use to find ROM's to flash your GPU's Bios if that ever becomes an issue. I found a UEFI ROM for my HD Radeon 7870 (PitCairn arch) from few places on the net. Its up to you to find what will work for you. :)

can't you just inject one of those uefi ROMs with cover rather than actually flashing it?

Why not just just flash it so that other OS'es can use UEFI GOP as well? 

Ok, but I've already gotten native resolution, with UEFI boot, in Clover, without that CsmVideoDxe-64.efi. The resolution is not the issue here. Or at least not in my case. The lack of the Apple logo and the two different background colors during the booting process, that's the problem.

Ok, but I've already gotten native resolution, with UEFI boot, in Clover, without that CsmVideoDxe-64.efi. The resolution is not the issue here. Or at least not in my case. The lack of the Apple logo and the two different background colors during the booting process, that's the problem.

I've managed to finally get 2nd apple logo with acceleration without using fake id. Even though I'm using LED Cinema Display connected by DP there is still a minor display blackout (0,5s) before the 2nd, WindowServer's apple shows up and I really don't know how to make it dissapear. Then, there is a nice transition to the desktop or login screen. Previously, after the black screen, I had this strange gray screen with a black progress bar (I think most of us know how it looks like). My GTX 660 TI already has UEFI GOP bios and I'm not using CsmVideoDxe. Apple logo transition was there even when booting Mavericks (previously blank gray screen). To achieve this I had to dump DSDT (already fixed by clover) and make some minor changet to it. My card was called PEGP, so i had to change every DSDT instance of GFX0 to IGPU (which I don't have- no connectors on the board). Then changed PEGP to GFX0. In my case the DP on the card shows in ioJones as NVDA-Display-@3, so this is the place where I made some corrections. I hope it will help. When booting with new DSDT.aml in patched folder you have to remember to disable all clover fixes.

Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Name (_SUN, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x1C)
                            {
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                "Slot-1", 
                                "name", 
                                "Display Controller", 
                                "@0,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@1,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@2,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@3,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@3,AAPL,boot-display", 
                                Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                                "@3,built-in", 
                                Buffer (Zero) {},
                                "built-in", 
                                Buffer (Zero)
                                {
                                    0x01
                                }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-2"
                                }, 

"built-in", 
                                Buffer (Zero) {}
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

You have two same "built-in" there... is that necessary? Btw do you have idea what exactly helped? The connector-type? Or the built-in? Or the name? If you remove anything from there, then you lose the apple logo?

You have two same "built-in" there... is that necessary? Btw do you have idea what exactly helped? The connector-type? Or the built-in? Or the name? If you remove anything from there, then you lose the apple logo?

One "built-in" is for the card itself, the 2nd one is for the display I'm using - as you can see it's "@3,built-in". I put it like this, because I thought that maybe I will be able to skip the "blackout" between boot.efi and WindowServer initiation. When I remove "@3,AAPL,boot-display",there is no logo at all - only gray screen with black stripe which looks like progress bar.

PS Do you guys know if there is a possibility to edit values from IOService? I'd like to add one value to NVDA, but it's not visible inside IODeviceTree - so I suppose I can't edit it inside DSDT.

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P2@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/GFX0@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA

One "built-in" is for the card itself, the 2nd one is for the display I'm using - as you can see it's "@3,built-in". I put it like this, because I thought that maybe I will be able to skip the "blackout" between boot.efi and WindowServer initiation. When I remove "@3,AAPL,boot-display",there is no logo at all - only gray screen with black stripe which looks like progress bar.

PS Do you guys know if there is a possibility to edit values from IOService? I'd like to add one value to NVDA, but it's not visible inside IODeviceTree - so I suppose I can't edit it inside DSDT.

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P2@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/GFX0@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA

I'm talking about these two:

"@3,built-in",

Buffer (Zero) {},

"built-in",

Buffer (Zero)

{

0x01

},

"hda-gfx",

Buffer (0x0A)

{

"onboard-2"

},

"built-in",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

Btw I have macpro3,1 smbios and I still get the black boot screen... Why is that happening if it's checks the board id? I have the proper macpro3,1 board-id (Mac-F42C88C8) injected into smbios.

None of this gets us the boot logo still. I see ppl say they hav it working with DP3 but none say how.

I have just now updated to DP3. Still no logo during the efi boot part.

Guys, please tell me how to get rid of 0,5 second blackout after efi boot part? The progress bar reaches 1/3 and my display goes off for a moment and then windowserver starts with visible mouse pointer and apple logo transition. It looks like resolution change, but it's rather impossible. I have native resolution during boot.

@nyolc8 You're right. The 2nd one is not needed ;)

@bider I get exact same thing

I think it may have something in common with NVCAP value. I'm not able to inject this variable through clover nor DSDT. I've found somwhere a post with a correct nvcap value which causes NVDA,noEFI string to dissapear. The system thinks that it's using original mac efi graphics card. Is there any other way to force nvcap?

Interesting stuff after upgrading to DP3 (besides it breaking my patched AppleHDA kext :)) ):

1. on shutdown/restart, there is a loading spinning wheel. Now it's on a black background. Before it was on a white or grey background. I don't remember. Anyway, I'm sure it wasn't black.

2. on startup, I don't get the dual color boot process (half on black background, half on white background) as I did before and the loading animation looks more fluent now. I mean, it loads half way on a black background (just like it did before), then it reloads the screen and, on the same black background (this is new), it continues to load until completion. And then it shows the login screen (if set).

Sadly..no Apple logo yet (for UEFI boot). I haven't tried booting in legacy mode... That seems to do the trick for Mavericks. Not sure if it will do the trick for Yosemite as well. But I'll try it.

I also noticed some icons changed (not big changes though). And some changes in iCloud as well... But anyway, I'll leave those aside since they are not related to this thread.

Mavs had not boot logo issue so not sure why u even mention Mavs. That 2nd stage of boot u speak of with the logo i get that too but for like 1/3 of a second so barely visible long enough to even see it and the bar is at 100% is dosn't move.

I have tried this on 3 systems now.

Mavs had not boot logo issue so not sure why u even mention Mavs. That 2nd stage of boot u speak of with the logo i get that too but for like 1/3 of a second so barely visible long enough to even see it and the bar is at 100% is dosn't move.

I have tried this on 3 systems now.

I mention this because I have no boot logo on Mavs, if booting in UEFI mode. I do have it if booting in legacy mode. So if you've got an idea how to get it to show in UEFI mode as well, please, let me know. You can ignore that part if you don't care about it. :) I mentioned it for comparison purposes. That's all.

And I'm not sure what logo are you talking about. I've got no logo whatsoever. Only the background color is changed and the animation resumes from where it left off. But that's all. I got no logo.

Really? wow your the first person I ever heard of not having a boot logo in mavs be it UEFI or legecy.

Yeah. Really. It's just a black screen. Not even a spinning wheel. Nothing, from boot to login screen.