Installation Guide for 10.10 DP1 - USB

127 posts in this topic

OS X 10.10 Yosemite (DP1) Installation Guide

1. Requirements

b. An 8GB or bigger USB drive
c. Access to a Mac, preferably your current Hackintosh
d. (Optional) A separate partition to install the DP on, as it is not recommended to install this as you daily driver.

2. Obtain a copy of Yosemite 10.10 DP1 - there are multiple files floating around the internet or you can use your developer account on Apple's website.

3. Navigate to where the "Install Yosemite 10.10.app" file is located. Right click on it and select "Show package contents". Go to Contents/SharedSupport and mount "InstallESD.dmg".

3a. Go into Terminal and type the following, and a "BaseSystem" partition should mount on your desktop.

open "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg"

4. Using Disk Utility, restore the "Base System" to your MBR-formatted flashdrive.

5. After the restore is complete, you can unmount the "Base System" from the DMG file and rename your USB to "Installer" or similar.

6. On your newly-imaged installer, navigate to System/Installation and delete the alias to "Packages". Open the previously-mounted "OS X Install ESD" and copy the "Packages" folder to where you deleted the alias (System/Installation).

7. Fire up Terminal, and enter the following:

cp "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg" /Volumes/Name_of_your_USB/ 
cp "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist" /Volumes/Name_of_your_USB/

8. Copy any extensions you need for booting onto the drive. Everyone needs FakeSMC, many need NullCpuPowerManagement. Copy these .kext files from /System/Library/Extensions to System/Library/Extensions on your installer USB.

9. Unmount the installer USB, and install Clover if you do not already use it (Warning: If you are installing this OS over your current Mavericks install in a FULL WIPE, make sure to install Clover onto the USB key so you can use it to boot after the Install)

10. Boot into Clover, and go into "options". Change the boot-args to "-v kext-dev-mode=1" and anything else you need for booting, such as cpus=1 or similar. Exit back to the main menu using the escape key.

11. Select your installer USB and boot it in Clover. 

12. Install the OS, but do not reboot after it's done.

13. Open Disk Utility and identify your OS disk identifer: eg disk3s1, disk 1s2, etc.

14. Open Terminal and run the following:

mkdir /Volumes/HD
mount -t hfs /dev/<diskidentifer> /Volumes/HD

and copy your third-party kexts using CP as shown: cp /System/Library/Extensions/XX.kext/ /Volumes/HD/System/Library/Extensions/XX.kext

so, if I wanted to copy FakeSMC.kext:

cp /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/ /Volumes/HD/System/Library/FakeSMC.kext

15. Close Terminal and reboot into the Yosemite partition, using the same boot-args as before

16. Removed, redundant step.

17. At this point, the system should boot. You may now install anything else you need (kexts, drivers) and begin using the system.

17a. Edit Clover's configuration file to include any boot-args you need. It is located in /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. Editing info is here. You will, at the minimum, need to add kext-dev-mode=1

18. Note: This is a DEVELOPMENT operating system. Do not expect the same stability as Mavericks or any other stable release. Enjoy!

19. This is my first guide, so if anything is incorrect or redundant feel free to point it out and I will edit it!
  • Like 12

Great guide, read a few since yesterday and this is definitely the cleanest one. Thanks, I'll post results in little bit.

I'm able to boot into the USB drive, but I'm getting the error "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!". Any idea how to fix this?

In the past, I've found that this actually isn't an error message that causes the system to hang, it's actually just the last line that shows in verbose boot before switching to your GUI. What you might be having actually is a graphics issue.

My system reboots right when it reaches the installer when it should be switching to GUI. Suggestions?

• Like 1

I think that the best way to rebuild kernelcache is:

kextcache -prelinked-kernel /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.cache/Startup/kernelcache -K /path/to/kernel /System/Library/Extensions
  • Like 3

I think that the best way to rebuild kernelcache is:

kextcache -prelinked-kernel /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.cache/Startup/kernelcache -K /path/to/kernel /System/Library/Extensions

What is the path to the kernel on Yosemite?

I get this, and then a reboot: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1401917670.898508.jpg

That's what it does after rebuilding kernel cache. Next time around, you should be able to boot with cache and have it work, assuming all the kexts you need were in /S/L/E, loaded, and therefore now in cache.

I'm getting the Same error as you, hopefully someone will reply soon!

im getting this error after install "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!" any way to get pass this 

" looks like FakeSMC is not being loaded" comes back with can't load kext authentication problems

The Bluetooth "error" is not really an error - it happened to me as well. It's merely the last line the console displays - at this point, it should boot into the GUI.

My suggestion is to rebuild the kext-cache after mounting in single user mode, I'll add that to the guide right now.