[Guide] [Mavericks & Yosemite] AMD Radeon HD5450

Dr. Hurt

214 posts in this topic

According to your screenshot, the card works with full QE/CI. Vram is OK and your resolution seems to be at full. You can easily check that by clicking on the launchpad icon. If you can see translucy and the whole thing isn't laggy, it's OK. YouTube vid's sould be OK too. Radeon HD 5450 is not an high end CG but it has sufficient power to display that kind of stuff.

The only thing that looks weird for me is that you should have a translucent menu bar. Maybe you disabled that option in the System Prefs or maybe I can see it on your screenshot.

Try to download a 3D bench app to see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello dr, Thank you for creating this thread. I have hd 5450 but for me it is not working. Yet I have tried the DSDT method only. In a previous post there was someone without PEG0 section, so I have checked what you have done for his dsdt, and tried it as well with dsdt editor. (because for my dsdt it was the same: no PEG0 section was present). It seems that this myself-made-dsdt makes no difference whether I put it to /Extra or not. The graphics is recognised with 3mb memory.

Could you please have a look what I have done wrongly?

I am trying to make it work for OS X 10.10.1.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Dr. Hurt, i was wondering does the dsdt method work for 5450 mobility as well? Ok before upgrading to yosemite, i have full qe/ci by editing the kext from 0x68E01002 to 0x68E11002. But in yosemite i tried that and it doesnt work. Im not sure how to edit dsdt as mine doesnt have the PEG0 display bridge. I hope you can help me edit my dsdt. Thanks!

What's your bootloader ?

Post IOReg & untouched and fresh DSDT

Hi there my bootloader is chimera. Heres my ioreg. Regarding about my dsdt i extracted it but i couldnt save as aml as it was too buggy and lots of error. I reckon i shall search for each error on google and try to fix those error and upload to here for you guys to help me edit my dsdt since now i couldnt save it. Thank you very much.

I just remember a tool called dsdt fixer and i manage to extract the dsdt successfully. So on top of this post was the ioreg. Thanks a lot!

Compaq cq42.zip

cq42 dsdt.zip

Hello guys, thanks for help. Here is my untouched dsdt with its original name (F8 is the latest bios for the board), and my ioreg as well (my self-patched dsdt was in use when the ioreg was created). I used Chimera this time. 

This exact card was working with ML, but I do not remember how I did it 2 years ago.  :blush:

Edit: I just want to state that the kext editing method worked for me! Thank you all! :) finally have good resolution and fast yosemite 10.10.1!

Still I am Curious what I did wrongly in the DSDT method.

DJackson_ioreg.zip

DSDT-GA-P55-UD3R-F8.aml.zip

Ok guys, try this & report with IOReg :

Don't forget to install back original kexts and rebuild cache before use :)

Hi there thank for the reply. I tried the dsdt but still not qe/ci. Anyway heres the ioreg. Thank you for helping us! :)

CQ42.zip

Yes, it's needs framebuffer patching.

The other problem is that all 5450 are not the same regarding ports layout and the framebuffer needs to be patched specifically for every card.

There's no universal framebuffer patch :(

What van i provide for you, because i dont know how to patch for my PC, can you help me?

@Sen

This one should work (hope so… :) ):

What van i provide for you, because i dont know how to patch for my PC, can you help me?

I can only give you clues to patch AMD5000Controller.kext as I didn't successfully made a working editing by myself ;)

I gave up on this as HDMI audio is not not really a problem for me.

Not specicific to 5450 but the method is the same.

Some links :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/249642-editing-custom-personalities-for-ati-radeon-hd45xx/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273937-guide-getting-xfx-hd6850-connectors-to-work/

DSDT_patched3.zip

• Like 1

@Sen

This one should work (hope so… :) ):

I can only give you clues to patch AMD5000Controller.kext as I didn't successfully made a working editing by myself ;)

I gave up on this as HDMI audio is not not really a problem for me.

Not specicific to 5450 but the method is the same.

Some links :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/249642-editing-custom-personalities-for-ati-radeon-hd45xx/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273937-guide-getting-xfx-hd6850-connectors-to-work/

Hi polyzargone. Unfortunately it doesnt work too. Sorry to bother you. Thank you for helping me. Im not sure why 5450mobility doesnt work. I remember back in mountain lion and mavericks, i was able to have qe/ci by editing info.plist. But in yosemite it just doesnt work..

Oh Radeon 5450 mobility !

Well maybe it's because the fake ID injected by the DSDT isn't the same for this particular card. BTW, did you used original AMD kexts and rebuild the cache ? You can easily do this by typing sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions in a terminal window (Kext Wizard won't do the job in Yosemite) and reboot.

post an IOReg too with DSDT loaded.

Ok guys, try this & report with IOReg :

Don't forget to install back original kexts and rebuild cache before use :)

Thank you polyzargone. Meanwhile I have found the iMessage issue, and i am lucky as for me it works. Do you think I can try kext utility to put back the orig kexts for ati, repair permissions, and replace my dsdt as well, without having a new smuuid? because i heard that in such case imessage can logout or even must be activated again, and might not work with chameleon/chimera. I dont wanna risk that now, however i am very curious about the result! Thanks!

Thank you polyzargone. Meanwhile I have found the iMessage issue, and i am lucky as for me it works. Do you think I can try kext utility to put back the orig kexts for ati, repair permissions, and replace my dsdt as well, without having a new smuuid? because i heard that in such case imessage can logout or even must be activated again, and might not work with chameleon/chimera. I dont wanna risk that now, however i am very curious about the result! Thanks!

Assuming that you use Clover as the bootloader, changing DSDT and put back/rebuild cache/repair permissions of ANY kext won't affect iMessage at all. Clover IS the fix that make it works. So as long as your using Clover, you can do anything you want to with System caches and kexts.

Just remember that I'm not sure Kext Utility or Kext Wizard are able to correctly rebuid kernel caches. Prefer sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions to to do so.