First Post. First Hackintosh. First Vanilla Install. Took a few tries but now the system is up and running smoothly and blazing fast. Love it.
Intel Core i7 4770k
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H (BIOS F7)
MSI GTX 660
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
All other peripherals pretty much standard. I already had Windows up and running on another HDD.
1. BIOS Settings
- Disabled all HDDs except the drive for Mac installation
- Ensured that SATA controllers were set to AHCI and not IDE
- Disabled Onboard Video (Monitors are connected to the GTX 660)
- Intel Virtualization Disabled
- XHCI Auto
- XHCI & EHCI handoffs set to enabled
- No other changes
2. Preparing the USB Installer
It is the best out there for a plain vanilla install.
Followed it closely but deviated from the process a bit while patching the installer (Step 2C onwards).
- Did not use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- Downloaded FakeSMC.kext v5.3.820 by kozlek with autoupdate disabled
- Copied all three files to /System/Library/Extensions/ folder of the USB drive [ Attached all three Kexts to this post - KEXTs.zip]
- Followed the remaining steps in Step 2C of the guide above.
- Installed Chameleon 2.2svn r2255
to make the USB drive bootable (Newer versions of Chameleon 2.2 caused issues for me so I would advise you stick with r2255).
- Used Chameleon Wizard
and used iMac 13.2 profile in it to generate my SMBios.plist
and placed it in the Extra
folder of USB.
- Created an Org.chameleon.Boot.plist file for the USB Installer with the following arguments and placed it in the Extra folder of the USB drive. [ Attached to this post Org.chameleon.Boot.plist-USB.zip ]
USB booted up and installation went smoothly.
Once it was complete, restarted and booted once again into the USB and launched the Terminal Utility of the installer to copy the above 3 kexts into the installation with the following commands:
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/“Your Mac Partition Name”/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelE1000e.kext /Volumes/"Your Mac Partition Name"/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext /Volumes/"Your Mac Partition Name"/System/Library/Extensions/
(If your Mac OS partition has a spaces in the name keep the quotes in the above commands).
Restarted system and this time booted into OS X installation. Ethernet and USB 3.0 working (Tested speeds). Audio not working.
4. Post Installation & Audio Fix
Installing Chamelon on Mac Partition
- Installed Chameleon 2.2svn r2255 to the Mac Partition using Chameleon Wizard
- Created a folder called Extra in the root of the Mac partition and copied into this the SMBios.plist file from the /USB/Extra folder
- Created an Org.chameleon.Boot.plist file for the OS with the following arguments.
You can customize this of course. Just make sure you specify the above two arguments. [ Attached mine to this post - Org.chameleon.Boot.plist-MAC.zip ].
To fix Audio I used toleda’s solution.
Go to your System Preferences and under Security ensure that programs from sources other than App Store can be installed.
Copy it into the folder /System/Library/Extensions of your Mac partition
Open shell and type the following commands.
cd /Volumes/"Your Mac Partition Name"/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 HDAEnabler1.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel HDAEnabler1.kext
You will be asked for your password at some point. Enter it.
Extract the zip in the downloads folder (DO NOT MOVE IT). Double-click audio_alc898-85_patch.command to execute it.
If you are asked for password enter it. If you get the following output then it was a success:
Prepare Desktop/audio_ALC898 ...
Install files ...
Patch binary ...
Fix permissions ...
Finished, restart required.
Restart computer to complete installation
The boot arguments for installer from here
were incredibly helpful.
Create a patched DSDT. Any advice on this is appreciated.
UPDATE: Sept 26 2013
Following issues come up frequently:
- Sleep/wake problem where the system freezes while waking up (no display either).
- Random complete system hangs where everything just freezes
- Prolonged waits and temporary freezes with the wheel spinning away to glory or the mouse not moving.
Repaired permissions and also ran kext utility. Issues continue. Chipping away..will update once I have a stable system.