HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

Hello RehabMan ,

Recently I've successfully run both msata-ssd and hard-disk,In short detail,PC changes from AHCI (pci 8086,8c03) to RAID (pci 8086,282a).I've searched and found that AppleAHCIPort.kext's info.plist has pci 8086,8c03 but no 282a ,so I manually edited and added extra pci id.
My point is I want to change manual kext edit to a clover patch so that i don't have to remove ssd,clone it and then plug it again  :wallbash: ,

I tried few steps but I failed.

Manual kext edit (Succeed): 

<key>Intel8SeriesAHCI</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
			<key>Chipset Name</key>
			<string>8 Series Chipset</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI</string>
			<key>IONameMatch</key>
			<array>
				<string>pci8086,8c02</string>
				<string>pci8086,8c03</string>
				<string>pci8086,9c03</string>
				<string>pci8086,282a</string>
			</array>
		</dict>

Already tried clover patch-(doesn't work/failed)

<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
                        <dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Apple RAID Support</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
			</dict>

What am I missing MR.Awesome-Rehabman ? Any suggestion pls  :help:

Hello RehabMan ,[/size]

Recently I've successfully run both msata-ssd and hard-disk,In short detail,PC changes from AHCI (pci 8086,8c03) to RAID (pci 8086,282a).I've searched and found that AppleAHCIPort.kext's info.plist has pci 8086,8c03 but no 282a ,so I manually edited and added extra pci id.

My point is I want to change manual kext edit to a clover patch so that i don't have to remove ssd,clone it and then plug it again  :wallbash: ,

I tried few steps but I failed.

Manual kext edit (Succeed): 

<key>Intel8SeriesAHCI</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
			<key>Chipset Name</key>
			<string>8 Series Chipset</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI</string>
			<key>IONameMatch</key>
			<array>
				<string>pci8086,8c02</string>
				<string>pci8086,8c03</string>
			</array>
		</dict>
Already tried clover patch-(doesn't work/failed)

<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
                        <dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Apple RAID Support</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
			</dict>

What am I missing MR.Awesome-Rehabman ? Any suggestion pls  :help:

Build an injector kext instead. There are many ACHI/RAID injectors around, including one I did called HPRADInjector.kext (you can google it).

Many people have has problems getting the azurewave to work in el capitan.  The one with  Product Id: 0x3404 Vendor ID: 0x13d3. I want to thank rehabman for fixing that with the new release of BrcmPatchRAM2.

Combo effort between myself and the-darkvoid. I wrote all of the new code for BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (using IOUSBHostFamily instead of IOUSBFamily) a while ago. But it wasn't working until the recent GM release because the SDK in Xcode7 was out of sync with the other betas. And... the-darkvoid managed to make it work with minor fixes to my untested code once the SDK was in sync with the GM. I did a little cleanup and pushed the build.
  • Like 1

Build an injector kext instead. There are many ACHI/RAID injectors around, including one I did called HPRADInjector.kext (you can google it).

Combo effort between myself and the-darkvoid. I wrote all of the new code for BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (using IOUSBHostFamily instead of IOUSBFamily) a while ago. But it wasn't working until the recent GM release because the SDK in Xcode7 was out of sync with the other betas. And... the-darkvoid managed to make it work with minor fixes to my untested code once the SDK was in sync with the GM. I did a little cleanup and pushed the build.

Thanks @RehabMan ,Your HPRAIDInjector.kext is working  :thumbsup_anim: 

Can someone test IntelBacklight.kext on the Envy?

Because I'm going to switch the repo from ACPIBacklight.kext to IntelBacklight.kext (I believe it will work).

Details here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Intel-Backlight

The u430 repo shows the changes to the repo coming: https://github.com/RehabMan/Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch/commit/8d2bb0e8b7242b88e395925078d28ffdd281762f

• Like 1

Because I'm going to switch the repo from ACPIBacklight.kext to IntelBacklight.kext (I believe it will work).

The u430 repo shows the changes to the repo coming: https://github.com/RehabMan/Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch/commit/8d2bb0e8b7242b88e395925078d28ffdd281762f

Thanks working better then the old ACPIbacklight  on my Probook 4530s

Working on my Envy-15-J092nr too  :thumbsup_anim:

What does the backlight kext do? I got backlight without it.

Anyone tried El Captain? Did it work?

It works on 10.11. It does the same as ACPIBacklight.kext but is more efficient and does not require an elaborate PNLF patch.

Although AppleBacklight.kext will work (with the correct PNLF patch to initialize the backlight registers), it will not provide full brightness range and will not provide smooth transitions between levels (most noticed when using the brightness keys).

You can get full range with AppleBacklight.kext only if you build a custom AppleBacklightInjector.kext with correct data for your display vendor/device-id. In fact, my repo has a script that creates that injector, as we used it before ACPIBacklight.kext (now using IntelBacklight.kext) was fixed for 10.11.

I am just realizing that my laptop the Envy 17t-j100 has just one brightness for the keyboard. It is just on and off. My previous laptop had bright, dim, off and a proximity sensor. Is this the way these laptops arena made?

That's how my Envy/J worked. Test on Windows if you have doubts.

Did anyone get all the speakers working including the subwoofer ? I notice the lights on the finger print reader or leap motion are now on. How can I disable it? Why did it turn on?

Edit: FaceTime turned it on. Is there a way I can disable it? It is useless.

Rehabman, I was testing your repo for the Envy J series from scratch and notice the ./install_downloads.sh installs BrcmPatchRAM.kext instead of the BrcmPatchRAM2.kext for 10.11. Also what does the BrcmFIrmwareRepo.kext do as that installed as well? After removing just the BrcmPatchRAM.kext, my bluetooth worked again. Thanks.

Rehabman, I was testing your repo for the Envy J series from scratch and notice the ./install_downloads.sh installs BrcmPatchRAM.kext instead of the BrcmPatchRAM2.kext for 10.11.

Fixed. I was testing on 10.11.1, so I had some regex that assumed 10.11 would be 10.11.0...

In an upgrade scenario you will still see it install BrmcPatchRAM.kext, then say it is also installing BrcmPatchRAM2.kext. It ends up deleting BrcmPatchRAM.kext and leaving BrcmPatchRAM2.kext.

It is that way as I had to make an exception for filtered kexts (kexts in the download package that we don't want to install). Because I removed the FakeSMC plugins from the normal set of kexts, but if you still had them installed, I didn't want to delete them, yet they have to be updated in case the main FakeSMC is updated.

So... if you have FakeSMC + Plugins installed and you run install_downloads.sh, FakeSMC.kext and the Plugins will be installed (each one that is already installed).

If it was a fresh install, or you only had FakeSMC installed, only FakeSMC.kext is installed and the Plugins are excluded.

Also what does the BrcmFIrmwareRepo.kext do as that installed as well? After removing just the BrcmPatchRAM.kext, my bluetooth worked again. Thanks.

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext has all the firmwares for all the devices supported by BrcmPatchRAM.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext. They are separate kexts now, as we have two separate firmware store implementations. BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext.

The difference:

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext: does not work from Clover/kexts, but is much more memory efficient than the old way

BrcmFirmwareData.kext: works from Clover/kexts, but not very memory efficient

It is covered at the BrcmPatchRAM README and the thread at tmx.

--

BTW, what is the status of USB on this laptop? I have the injector and FakePCIID_XHCIMux commented out in the install_downloads.sh due to lack of feedback about which one is needed (both, none, one), or whether the port injector needs tweaks.

Edit: I had some feedback in another forum that the USBXHC_Envy.kext is needed, so I enabled it.

Fixed. I was testing on 10.11.1, so I had some regex that assumed 10.11 would be 10.11.0...

In an upgrade scenario you will still see it install BrmcPatchRAM.kext, then say it is also installing BrcmPatchRAM2.kext. It ends up deleting BrcmPatchRAM.kext and leaving BrcmPatchRAM2.kext.

It is that way as I had to make an exception for filtered kexts (kexts in the download package that we don't want to install). Because I removed the FakeSMC plugins from the normal set of kexts, but if you still had them installed, I didn't want to delete them, yet they have to be updated in case the main FakeSMC is updated.

So... if you have FakeSMC + Plugins installed and you run install_downloads.sh, FakeSMC.kext and the Plugins will be installed (each one that is already installed).

If it was a fresh install, or you only had FakeSMC installed, only FakeSMC.kext is installed and the Plugins are excluded.

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext has all the firmwares for all the devices supported by BrcmPatchRAM.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext. They are separate kexts now, as we have two separate firmware store implementations. BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext.

The difference:

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext: does not work from Clover/kexts, but is much more memory efficient than the old way

BrcmFirmwareData.kext: works from Clover/kexts, but not very memory efficient

It is covered at the BrcmPatchRAM README and the thread at tmx.

--

BTW, what is the status of USB on this laptop? I have the injector and FakePCIID_XHCIMux commented out in the install_downloads.sh due to lack of feedback about which one is needed (both, none, one), or whether the port injector needs tweaks.

Edit: I had some feedback in another forum that the USBXHC_Envy.kext is needed, so I enabled it.

Yep the USBXHC_Envy works been using it the last few weeks. One thing I noticed is when I do use the USBXHC_Envy.kext in IORegistry, I have 6 entries for SSP while without have only 1. I know that with the new way El Capitan works, if it exceed 15 ports, it won't map the rest, but even using the Injector and getting those back, I believe it is still missing some ports since on boot up get the message that it still exceeds the maximum.  Thanks for the explanation regarding how install_downloads.sh works now.

Edit: Attached is my IORegistry from both USB with and without the Injector with devices connected to each port on computer just to make sure everything looks good. All the USB 3.0 ports do work but just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt performance if one was still not being mapped on boot.

Archive.zip

Yep the USBXHC_Envy works been using it the last few weeks. One thing I noticed is when I do use the USBXHC_Envy.kext in IORegistry, I have 6 entries for SSP while without have only 1. I know that with the new way El Capitan works, if it exceed 15 ports, it won't map the rest, but even using the Injector and getting those back, I believe it is still missing some ports since on boot up get the message that it still exceeds the maximum.  Thanks for the explanation regarding how install_downloads.sh works now.

You should not get a message about exceeding the 15 ports when using the injector. There are only 14 ports defined on XHC, 6 on EH02, and 8 on EH01. The 15 port limit is per controller.

It would be a good idea to connect a device (both USB2 and USB3) to each port while looking at ioreg. That way you can determine which ports really need to be in the injector and which can be eliminated. Keep in mind that some ports are assigned internally, so if you eliminate a port, need to check that internal USB devices are recognized (touchscreen, bluetooth, camera).

Edit: Attached is my IORegistry from both USB with and without the Injector with devices connected to each port on computer just to make sure everything looks good. All the USB 3.0 ports do work but just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt performance if one was still not being mapped on boot.

Note how EH01 with the injector has more ports active vs. without. This is the injector adding ports that were otherwise excluded by DSDT.

I do see from the ioreg that I can remove the EH02 port injector as that controller is not active.

And if you have only one USB3 port, the other SSP2-6 can also be eliminated on XHC, similar to what was done for HS08-HS13 which appear to not be used.

You should not get a message about exceeding the 15 ports when using the injector. There are only 14 ports defined on XHC, 6 on EH02, and 8 on EH01. The 15 port limit is per controller.

It would be a good idea to connect a device (both USB2 and USB3) to each port while looking at ioreg. That way you can determine which ports really need to be in the injector and which can be eliminated. Keep in mind that some ports are assigned internally, so if you eliminate a port, need to check that internal USB devices are recognized (touchscreen, bluetooth, camera).

Note how EH01 with the injector has more ports active vs. without. This is the injector adding ports that were otherwise excluded by DSDT.

I do see from the ioreg that I can remove the EH02 port injector as that controller is not active.

And if you have only one USB3 port, the other SSP2-6 can also be eliminated on XHC, similar to what was done for HS08-HS13 which appear to not be used.

Thanks I did have a PS4 controller, a USB 2.0 flash drive, my Galaxy S5 and my USB 3.0 External drive connected to give a variety of which ones were USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 but I see how only connecting only USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 at separate times would affect the test.

Thanks I did have a PS4 controller, a USB 2.0 flash drive, my Galaxy S5 and my USB 3.0 External drive connected to give a variety of which ones were USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 but I see how only connecting only USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 at separate times would affect the test.

Let me know what your results are and I'll make the edits to the J-series injector kext.

Let me know what your results are and I'll make the edits to the J-series injector kext.

Yep deleting the EH02 and also SSP2-6 entries caused every port to still work. Not sure if it's every Envy j-000 series, but mine only has 4 Superseed ports to connect USB devices plus the internal ones that work the camera, fingerprint reader, bluetooth and the HD camera.

As you said the USB 3.0 can be configured to be detected as USB 2.0 since the controller has the other slot but at least with OS X and deleting those entries, everything still detects as USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices still work too. Thanks!

Yep deleting the EH02 and also SSP2-6 entries caused every port to still work. Not sure if it's every Envy j-000 series, but mine only has 4 Superseed ports to connect USB devices plus the internal ones that work the camera, fingerprint reader, bluetooth and the HD camera.

As you said the USB 3.0 can be configured to be detected as USB 2.0 since the controller has the other slot but at least with OS X and deleting those entries, everything still detects as USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices still work too. Thanks!

Confused. If you deleted SSP2-6, that would leave only SSP1. Yet you say "4 superspeed"...???

And you mention internal in the same sentence (these are probably high-speed, no?).

Please clarify.

FakePCIID_XHCIMux could be used to route the USB2 component of XHC ports to EHC, and then they would show under "USB 2.0". May require a port and/or hub port injector on EH01.

Confused. If you deleted SSP2-6, that would leave only SSP1. Yet you say "4 superspeed"...???

And you mention internal in the same sentence (these are probably high-speed, no?).

Please clarify.

FakePCIID_XHCIMux could be used to route the USB2 component of XHC ports to EHC, and then they would show under "USB 2.0". May require a port and/or hub port injector on EH01.

You said if we just have the one USB 3.0 we can delete it. Strange thing is this Envy series has 4 external USB ports, each one is a Superseed USB 3.0, but deleting those entries you mentioned still gives me USB 3.0 on each port and System Profiler is showing them under USB 3.0 Hub. I also tested each port then using a USB 2.0 device and each port is still working using USB 2.0 speeds. All of the built-in devices: bluetooth, camera, fingerprint scanner are still showing in system profiler.

You said if we just have the one USB 3.0 we can delete it. Strange thing is this Envy series has 4 external USB ports, each one is a Superseed USB 3.0, but deleting those entries you mentioned still gives me USB 3.0 on each port and System Profiler is showing them under USB 3.0 Hub. I also tested each port then using a USB 2.0 device and each port is still working using USB 2.0 speeds. All of the built-in devices: bluetooth, camera, fingerprint scanner are still showing in system profiler.

I would like to see an ioreg showing all 4 USB3 devices plugged in with only SSP1 active. It could be they are on an internal USB3 hub.

I would like to see an ioreg showing all 4 USB3 devices plugged in with only SSP1 active. It could be they are on an internal USB3 hub.

As of right now I only have my S5, and my USB 3.0 My Passport drive as the only USB 3.0 devices to plug in at once. My previous IOReg had my flash drive and a PS4 controller connected via USB 2.0 also.

As mentioned before, I did plug in just my USB 3.0 device and tried all ports with copying a file to see the speed, then tried a USB 2.0 device for the same test and both devices were recognized in all ports and copied the file in USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 speeds respectively. Now that you mentioned it, it probably is just one USB 3.0 hub for all those ports which is why everything is still working with only the one SSP1.