[Success] Gigabyte Z87-D3HP -- first Haswell hackintosh?

• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

gaspimp

gaspimp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

I've attached my binary boot file for RevoBoot in a zip. I had some difficulty finding a good walk-through on RevoBoot, but here's what I did:

I installed Chameleon, and then I replaced its boot file at the root of my Mavericks install with the RevoBoot boot file. I also added -v as a kernel arg at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist since RevoBoot is fairly barebones and doesn't have a menu. You also need to have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and FakeSMC.kext in your /System/Library/Extensions for this to work. I don't believe /Extra/Extensions works with RevoBoot so I had a few other kexts like VoodooHDA and a Marvell Yukon injector that I also had to put in /System/Library/Extensions.

Note: these instructions may be wrong / inaccurate and RevoBoot might offer a better way to handle kernel args and extensions, but this works just fine for me. As I learn more about it I intend to clean up my install.

As for audio, I'd highly recommend the legacy VoodooHDA I added in my previous post. I'll try HDMI audio when I get a chance, but I think this will do. I'm not too eager to get AppleHDA injectors working if this continues to work fine.

Attached Files

• Attached File  boot.zip   33.01KB   281 downloads

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,784 posts

Hey, gaspimp and q64ceo!

Thank you guys for testing this new hardware, and congratulations for the results! Could i ask you a little favor? Test please if the HD4600 integrated Intel graphics of your CPUs are fully supported? 

All the best!

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

I don't know what to write here

• Donators
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:OSx86, female anatomy, electronic music, Clover EFI

I've attached my binary boot file for RevoBoot in a zip. I had some difficulty finding a good walk-through on RevoBoot, but here's what I did:

I installed Chameleon, and then I replaced its boot file at the root of my Mavericks install with the RevoBoot boot file. I also added -v as a kernel arg at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist since RevoBoot is fairly barebones and doesn't have a menu. You also need to have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and FakeSMC.kext in your /System/Library/Extensions for this to work. I don't believe /Extra/Extensions works with RevoBoot so I had a few other kexts like VoodooHDA and a Marvell Yukon injector that I also had to put in /System/Library/Extensions.

Note: these instructions may be wrong / inaccurate and RevoBoot might offer a better way to handle kernel args and extensions, but this works just fine for me. As I learn more about it I intend to clean up my install.

As for audio, I'd highly recommend the legacy VoodooHDA I added in my previous post. I'll try HDMI audio when I get a chance, but I think this will do. I'm not too eager to get AppleHDA injectors working if this continues to work fine.

It worked great and I {censored} love you. Timer issue now gone.

Problem is now that RevoBoot does not work with my GTX 660 making me -x everytime I boot. I think this has to do with the bootloader. RevoBoot was active in 2011, well before the 600 series was introduced. 

Oh well, much better than I was before :D

Hey, gaspimp and q64ceo!

Thank you guys for testing this new hardware, and congratulations for the results! Could i ask you a little favor? Test please if the HD4600 integrated Intel graphics of your CPUs are fully supported? 

All the best!

Sounds like a good project for tomorrow

Pike R. Alpha

Pike R. Alpha

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 159 posts

Guys,

RevoBoot is just my bootloader of choice. Something I use to get stuff done. To experiment with. But since I don't have time for support... I was hoping that other developers use my work for Haswell/Mavericks support, so that they can include it in the boot loader of your choice. It's not about me getting people aboard. I just use it myself and share my source code. Like any other open source developer.

By the way. RevoBoot was started by my father (called Revolution back in the days) in the Asus P5K PRO era but Sam took over and now it is my turn - I have a younger brother waiting to take over my work when I go on my honeymoon trip.

And no. RevoBoot will not search/read /Extra/Extensions for kexts. It does read /Library/Extensions, which is new requirement for Mavericks by the way. It will also not patch graphics cards, because we want you to set device-properties either from (example): /Extra/EFI/Macmini71.bin (which is what I am using right now) or from ACPI tables.

p.s. You need to figure out/set AAPL,ig-platform-id for the HDnn00/Iris/Iris Pro

I hope this help.

Edit: Fixed a typo AAPL,ig-product-id -> AAPL,ig-platform-id

kpkp

kpkp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

I have done some digging, based on the Pike R. Alpha info about Ids, and here is what I came up with (there might be errors...):

platform-Id
00 00 06 04	//Intel Haswell Mobile (GT1)		
00 00 16 04	//Intel Haswell Mobile (GT2)		
00 00 26 04	//Intel Haswell Mobile (GT3)		
00 00 16 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT2)		
00 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
00 00 26 0D	//Intel Haswell CRW Mobile (GT3) - ???		
00 00 26 0C	//Intel Haswell SDV Mobile (GT3) - Software Development Vehicle		
00 00 16 0C	//Intel Haswell SDV Mobile HD 4600 (GT2) - Software Development Vehicle		
00 00 06 0C	//Intel Haswell SDV Mobile (GT1) - Software Development Vehicle		
00 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
	00 03 03 03 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	
1@	00 00 10 00 02 00 00 00 30 00 00 00		
2@	01 05 12 00 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 00		
3@	02 04 12 00 00 08 00 00 82 00 00 00 		

03 00 22 0D	//8086 Intel Haswell CRW Desktop (GT3) - ???		
	00 03 03 03 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	
1@	01 05 12 00 00 04 00 00 87 00 00 00		
2@	02 04 14 00 00 04 00 00 87 00 00 00 		
3@	03 06 10 00 00 04 00 00 11 00 00 00		

06 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
05 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
	01 03 03 03	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	
2@	01 05 12 00 00 04 00 00 87 00 00 00 		
3@	02 04 12 00 00 04 00 00 87 00 00 00		

08 00 2E 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT2+)		
08 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
	01 03 03 03 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	
2@	01 05 12 00 00 04 00 00 07 01 00 00 		
3@	02 04 14 00 00 0C 00 00 07 01 00 00		

02 00 16 04	//Intel Haswell Mobile (GT2)		
	00 01 01 01 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	

04 00 12 04	//Intel Haswell Desktop (GT2) - empty		
	00 00 00 00 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	

I do not have Haswell, but this might help someone get started...

PS: the desktop GT2 (HD4600), does not seem to be supported at the time being, or better said, it appears it's not in Apples short future plans.

Kynyo

Kynyo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:

So I'm going to take a break for a few days on this. Couldn't get any ALC898 injectors or DSDT working - very likely it's something I'm doing wrong, probably due to my lack of experience with RevoBoot...I'm not even sure if my DSDT tweaks were loaded.

I do have some good news though! I dug up an old version of VoodooHDA from my old build and it works pretty well, no quality / noise issues so far. Night and day compared to the latest 2.8.4 build which had all sorts of noise and static. I'm using S/PDIF though so I can't vouch for analog outputs. I've attached it in case anyone wants to try it. Make sure to move AppleHDA in /S/L/E somewhere safe before using it - you can't run both at the same time with this board. 

Open your dsdt in a DSDT editor and look @ pin config. Mine was little modified till i change a little pin strings, then with a patched AppleHDA should work!

I've inspired from another similar motherboard and i've got the combination.

necrophagous

necrophagous

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

got almost the same system as you guys ... 

thanks a lot piker alpha and you lot! 

cheers

gaspimp

gaspimp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

I've been having two annoying issues which I managed to fix today.

1) SATA3 6gb/s SSDs are stuck at SATA2 3gb/s speeds in both OS X and Windows even after replacing cables.

2) Strange 5-10 second delay when booting OS X (after BIOS but before boot loader comes up).

Both issues have been fully resolved by flashing the latest beta bios found here (in my case, GA-Z87X-UD3H F6G): http://forums.tweakt...-beta-bios.html

As always, there are risks with flashing BIOS and a beta bios might break other things, but so far so good for me.

necrophagous

necrophagous

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

^

does QE/CI works in your setup?

gaspimp

gaspimp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

^

does QE/CI works in your setup?

Yes...as far as I can tell. Looks like they got rid of the Dashboard ripple effect in 10.9 but Safari Top Sites and screensavers work perfectly which I believe means QE/CI is working.

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

I don't know what to write here

• Donators
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:OSx86, female anatomy, electronic music, Clover EFI

Yes...as far as I can tell. Looks like they got rid of the Dashboard ripple effect in 10.9 but Safari Top Sites and screensavers work perfectly which I believe means QE/CI is working.

How did you get your graphics working?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,784 posts

Integrated graphics or discrete card?

c0ercion

c0ercion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I got everything up and running with revoboot. My only apparent issues right now are lack of recognition of the i217 ethernet controller on my z87mx-d3h and my gtx780 shows up as nvidia gk11x.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,784 posts

and my gtx780 shows up as nvidia gk11x.

Cosmetic issue that can easily be fixed by dsdt edits. GK11x is the chipset of your card.

All the best!

Pike R. Alpha

Pike R. Alpha

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 159 posts

I have done some digging, based on the Pike R. Alpha info about Ids, and here is what I came up with (there might be errors...):

I do not have Haswell, but this might help someone get started...

PS: the desktop GT2 (HD4600), does not seem to be supported at the time being, or better said, it appears it's not in Apples short future plans.

Can you please add a simple how-to (or a link perhaps?) so that people know what to do to get the data, or is this supposed to be common knowledge already?

@c0ercion,

Try adding the device-id to AppleIntel82580Ethernet.kext/C*/Info.plist

kpkp

kpkp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Can you please add a simple how-to (or a link perhaps?) so that people know what to do to get the data, or is this supposed to be common knowledge already?

@c0ercion,

I think people that have done any modification to the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext will know exactly what that is, if you do not have that experience, I would suggest a quick reading of this thread(it is basically the same table as the linked one, just mine is taken from the haswell kext - AppleIntelFramebufferAzul). If you have more info about haswell graphic, please share, since what i did is more based on the knowledge I gained poking around the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext and applying it here.

PS: but till the final release this table will most likely change when apple will add other PCs on their lineup...

Pike R. Alpha

Pike R. Alpha

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 159 posts

The problem is that I cannot locate the table, or the offset is wrong. So how did you get it?

Edit: Stupid. I forgot to change the name in Sam's script and thus it was still looking at AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS All ok now.

gaspimp

gaspimp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

It just worked - I didn't do anything.

Tried that...getting the following kernel output, any ideas?

AppleIntel82580::start - Built May 21 2013 02:28:36 -- running on device at b0d25f0

b0d25f0 start: NVM Checksum incorrectb0d25f0 start: resetHW failed

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,784 posts

It just worked - I didn't do anything]

So it's safe to say the Intel HD 4600 works oob under Mavericks, right? Or are you using a discrete card?

gaspimp

gaspimp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

So it's safe to say the Intel HD 4600 works oob under Mavericks, right? Or are you using a discrete card?

Sorry I was referring to my GTX 670. I haven't had a chance to try HD4600 yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy