Too good to be true? Most likely...

17 posts in this topic

So I was searching for the best deal on Macbook pro's and Froogle spits out this site:

http://www.tescobox.com/ (do a search for macbook, the url that links to the product is ugly and long)

They are offering the full range of Macbooks at highly suspicious prices:

Macbook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo Processor / 512MB of DDR2 SDRAM / 60GB SATA Hard Drive / SuperDrive Double Layer DVD Writer / 13.3 Inch Glossy LCD: € 558.04/£375.62/$708.65

all the way up to:

Macbook pro 2.16GHz Core Duo, 1GB DDR2, 120GB, DVD±RW DL, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, 17 TFT: €1409.33/ £948.64/ $1,789.708

Is there any chance these prices are genuine? I decided to do whois check on their domain, tescobox.com is actually registered in the USA, despite the fact that they claim their head office is in London. Additionally the domain was activated on Sep 21 2006, pretty recent for a company that claims to have been around since 1985.

I smell a bargain, I could buy four macbooks and use them as coasters.. I also smell a rat..

Any thoughts?

Hi,

Just had a look, seems dodgy. Tesco are the largest retailers here in the UK (like WalMart) and they do sell electricals etc (see www.tesco.com) but there's no branding on the tescobox site, so I've emailed tesco a link to the site, I'll keep you informed if I hear anything back.

Andy

Having thought about it, I don't see how they can be legitimate at this price. I have scoured the internet looking for the best deal and nearly all Mac resellers match the price on the Apple site. It seems the only way to get a better price is to buy refurbished or 2nd hand.

Additionally, it seems that there is a shortage of macbooks, with many stores stating a waiting period of weeks. Why would anyone sell a machine so cheaply when there is clearly such a high demand?

I could not believe these prices and phoned my mate who works for the police doing highly technical work on computers usually on anti terrorist stuff etc, he likes a bargain.

He pointed out that the London phone number is a mobile, the company is registered in USA and the web site is hosted in Australia.

He will not be using this site, fell about laughing at the thought of it.

I almost jumped in. Narrow escape, I think.

FIrst of all, the company could of been using a different domain and might not of had a website before they got the domain you see. Also, US domain registartion is probably cheaper than in London, so they had it registred in the US instead, or maybe their servers are there for the best speed and their head office is in London.

I got a reply from Tesco:

------------------------------

Thank you for your email.

This has nothing to do with Tesco, thanks for letting us know.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at

customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES2533318X.

Kind Regards

Malcolm Gwynne

Tesco Customer Service

-----------------------------

I thought they'd have had it shut down by now, I was expecting some HUGE reward.