43 posts in this topic

Mr. D, wouldn't be better to recommend the Z77-DS3H (full ATX) instead of the Z77MX-D3H (mATX) for the Deluxe build? The D3H has Via sound, which doesn't compare favorably to the RLT 887 that comes with the DS3H under OSX (there's a lack of easy AppleHDA solutions for the Via VT2021, which in most cases ends up working with VoodooHDA, while patching AppleHDA for ALC887 has been trivial for years now).

All the best, and keep these builds coming!

No! The VIA Audio chip have been much better in quality of audio for many years and is the more expensive audio for motherboard manufactures. Also AppleHDA does fully support this chip set. A quick look around and you would have been able to see this... Just saying. There is no need to use VoodooHDA with this system at all.

• Like 1

I stand corrected! Thank you for the info.

Too few people know that VIA is superior and if you read a lot of high end motherboard reviews many of them will take note of this and how they still use ALC8xx. Besides we should be open minded about making new things work. Thats why we are here right?

Quick note on the Ultra build - I was not able to mount the fans/radiator in this case because the left most set of ram modules were blocking it. At the moment I have the radiator fan portion of the cooling system hanging out of the case (ick) but maybe I'm just doing something wrong? I'll take a pic and update this post a bit later.

I did a small bit of searching and it seems others have had similar issues with the tall vengeance ram and a liquid based cooling system.

Quick note on the Ultra build - I was not able to mount the fans/radiator in this case because the left most set of ram modules were blocking it. At the moment I have the radiator fan portion of the cooling system hanging out of the case (ick) but maybe I'm just doing something wrong? I'll take a pic and update this post a bit later.

I did a small bit of searching and it seems others have had similar issues with the tall vengeance ram and a liquid based cooling system.

I have used this case before and all the systems I recommend I have hands on experience. Can you send me in a PM pictures of the issues you are having. Thanks.

Also have you tried mounting and exhausting it out the top? That is what I normally do.

Hey guys, thanks for the help, I've got the Ultra build up and running - and it seems super fast.

Although to get it to the desktop I had to use the Graphics Enabler = No option. But apparently doing that breaks functionality in video editors - like Final Cut Pro? Is there something I missed to get it to play nice with the 660 and still use video editor apps?

If this post is in the wrong place, by all means please remove it and i'll move it, thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question: I'm coming from a AMD Hackintosh and a situation where I've had to jump through a lot of hoops to get OS X running and stable. If I buy the "Ultra" set-up am I looking at another situation where I'm going to be spending a lot of time working to get OS X to run or will OS X 10.8 just install without issue?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No! The VIA Audio chip have been much better in quality of audio for many years and is the more expensive audio for motherboard manufactures. Also AppleHDA does fully support this chip set. A quick look around and you would have been able to see this... Just saying. There is no need to use VoodooHDA with this system at all.

Where can I find a DSDT or guide for enabling audio on the GA-Z77MX-D3H? Google doesn't seem to give any good results. It seems like all of the people with this motherboard end up using VoodooHDA.

• Like 1

Great lists... (I know they were posted in March/ April but even still...)

Would it be right to assume the 'Killer' list would feature a 3930K build with a GTX 670/80 and maybe some SSDs for about $2500? And then what about a 'supreme' dual Xeon build or something... we can all dream.

I bet we could make a list with price points every $500! - but I think, for now, 3-4 machines is a pretty decent level.

I have been asked thru IM about Haswell options. I think its a little too early to make that leap just yet. Perhaps when 10.9 is out when the iTrashCan new MacPro are out we can adjust. Right now these builds are at great price points and are as close to rock-solid stable as you're gonna get.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Any chance of reupping them pdf's? I might go for hackintosh in the autumn, as this Mini is about to give up...

Mr D : many thanks :) Setup reminiscent of 2012 spec mini would be my aim if I go for hackintosh... Sourcing suitable parts might be not too easy, but who knows.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If anyone has a minute to spare to give me for a build advice, I would thank you so much.

I am trying to make my first build, because all my Hackintoshes are laptops, so I wanted to do a desktop Hack .

I am trying to refurbish a 1996 computer, turning into a cheap audio production system.

It is gonna be a Haswell, not an Ivy Bridge, so this list is not up to date, plus my build seems to add up to like 250€ .... cheaper than Ivy?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311560-cheapest-build-advice/?do=findComment&comment=2227497

Any help is deeply appreciated