recommended hardware buying guide $500 $1000 $1500 x79

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...

I see a big problem in the deluxe version havent checked the base yet. The Corsair builder series CX500 I would completely stay away from that psu. Google for Corsair and builder series and see what people say.

I bought the Corsair CX600 and it has caused me so much problems its not even funny. Im still picking up the pieces trying to get back where I was before it started mess with me.

On top of everything if Im unlucky Im also gonna to have replace my Sapphire pro 10 i/o soundcard cause of this psu, looks like it broke.

Please google for info about it like I said above its no news they are not the same quality any longer. Specially the builders series seem to suck. In my case it has caused me so much problems its not even funny so I dont care how many you sold through out the years I will say this anyway. Kick me from here I dont care but please dont tell people they are a good choice cause they are not.

Edit:

And yes I did check the reviews out after it broke. Who knows maby they sell other versions of it in some countrys but in Sweden where I live in that case they must have shipped a whole bunch of them that computer builders had problems with. These that said this are no computer newbies I tell you and from what I read it looks like Corsair change over to some other company for building these cheaper psus and then it was downhill.

So heres what happen to me:

I bought new hardware in the fall last year including this psu. The mobo is a GA Z77-DS3H and I have a i7 3770k cpu in it. The videocard is a Sapphire 5750.

The computer worked like a freaking Ferarri but all of a sudden over night it wouldnt start and I couldnt even get to the Bios/UEFI screen without replacing my videocard. It would still not boot up without going for safe mode but still it booted up. The videocard did work in another computer. It was very confusing for sure for a while before I realized it was the psu that was broke not the videocard.

I donht think this info would make any difference but Ok I gave it to you so do what you want with it but please dont recommend this type of psu.

OK - so as I understand it, you had an issue with this PSU. And you found others with issues with this PSU. I think describing this as a 'big problem' is a bit overkill. It's a potential issue. A big problem would be, for example, recommending an A6 CPU with a z77 motherboard - that would be big.

So the 6/8 pin was not providing enough power. Corsair PSU are Sea Sonic power supplies that are rebranded and are sold at the same price as the Sea Sonic Model. I am not trying to offend you I just want you to post the issue you say they have and you still have not provided a valid link.

What do you mean a valid link? A link to somplace wher they specify technical info for this psu? You dont know neither do I that it was that problem could be anything in the bootup process. If they print 600 wats and Corsair on the box I at least before this happen would have said thats a good one safe to buy.

Just change your recommendations for psu please got be lots and lots of psus out there.

So you state that you dont know, nor can somebody else know 'that it was that problem'. So now we aren't even sure if its an 'issue'. And you want recommendations changed based off a possibility that it might be an issue that you may or may not have had? I want to stress the word RECOMMENDATION here, because that is what this is. A guide, a recommendation, a suggestion, synonym, synonym, synonym.

Just as a side note, the CX500m was just reviewed in Computer Power User Magazine as a '... good option to get good value for a budget system. It has all the features necessary to provide reliability for years to come..."

A valid link to were other people are reporting issues. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

This is where it should have ended. RPD made a good faith effort to discuss this with you w/o arguing in the thread. No need to go for the 'last word'. If you have something further to discuss about this, with either RPD or myself, please PM us.

Now with regards to Google being my friend, this is the result I came up with when searching for 'Google is my Friend'. I can find anything on the internet. I can find lots of links to lots of people that love or hate various things. I personally hate Epson printers. I'll never buy one again. I have told a few people to stay away from them. However, I have owned ONE Epson printer. Did I get a janky one? maybe. Are all of them crap? Maybe, maybe not - my testing has been limited to ONE printer. When RPD asked for links, he didn't mean just any Google search links, he meant actual links with actual content from people who had actual problems with their PSUs and did actual troubleshooting. Telling people to Google something that generic is like telling someone to Google 'soup is hot'.

-------------------------------moving on----------------------------------

1.65v is Intel's max voltage spec but we will change this.

Changed!

swiftor

swiftor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm very much looking forward to the Ultra build!

I've been using a mac book bro for video editing and it's been very painful.

edgedev

edgedev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nice posts, can't wait to see the rest of the configurations. I like shopping through Newegg, Amazon, and TigerDirect. I try to shop around for the best price. I'm glad I have Amazon Prime.. that pays for itself; free 2-day shipping.

The great part about living in South Florida other than the Miami Heat is the fact that TigerDirect is based here, and the prices for their stuff beats out many of the other places. I rather pay a small 6% sales tax and have it now, than pay about 5% in shipping and wait a week (or two).

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,826 posts
Mr. D, wouldn't be better to recommend the Z77-DS3H (full ATX) instead of the Z77MX-D3H (mATX) for the Deluxe build? The D3H has Via sound, which doesn't compare favorably to the RLT 887 that comes with the DS3H under OSX (there's a lack of easy AppleHDA solutions for the Via VT2021, which in most cases ends up working with VoodooHDA, while patching AppleHDA for ALC887 has been trivial for years now).

All the best, and keep these builds coming!

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
Interesting... I'll bring this up with RPD and go from there. Thanks!

----------EDIT:----------

From Rampage Dev himself on the board choice:

I have used that MB before and I have a patched AppleHDA and DSDT for it and it works wonderfully. Bad idea to use such a old ALC and all the other boards at that price point only have 3 pin audio and not 6 pin. Board works flawlessly.

Also, see his reply below.

swiftor

swiftor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Awesome - thanks for putting up the Killer build - I'll be buying the parts later today unless someone has other interesting comments on it.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,957 posts

Mr. D, wouldn't be better to recommend the Z77-DS3H (full ATX) instead of the Z77MX-D3H (mATX) for the Deluxe build? The D3H has Via sound, which doesn't compare favorably to the RLT 887 that comes with the DS3H under OSX (there's a lack of easy AppleHDA solutions for the Via VT2021, which in most cases ends up working with VoodooHDA, while patching AppleHDA for ALC887 has been trivial for years now).

All the best, and keep these builds coming!

No! The VIA Audio chip have been much better in quality of audio for many years and is the more expensive audio for motherboard manufactures. Also AppleHDA does fully support this chip set. A quick look around and you would have been able to see this... Just saying. There is no need to use VoodooHDA with this system at all.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,826 posts
I stand corrected! Thank you for the info.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,957 posts

I stand corrected! Thank you for the info.

Too few people know that VIA is superior and if you read a lot of high end motherboard reviews many of them will take note of this and how they still use ALC8xx. Besides we should be open minded about making new things work. Thats why we are here right?

swiftor

swiftor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Quick note on the Ultra build - I was not able to mount the fans/radiator in this case because the left most set of ram modules were blocking it. At the moment I have the radiator fan portion of the cooling system hanging out of the case (ick) but maybe I'm just doing something wrong? I'll take a pic and update this post a bit later.

I did a small bit of searching and it seems others have had similar issues with the tall vengeance ram and a liquid based cooling system.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,957 posts

Quick note on the Ultra build - I was not able to mount the fans/radiator in this case because the left most set of ram modules were blocking it. At the moment I have the radiator fan portion of the cooling system hanging out of the case (ick) but maybe I'm just doing something wrong? I'll take a pic and update this post a bit later.

I did a small bit of searching and it seems others have had similar issues with the tall vengeance ram and a liquid based cooling system.

I have used this case before and all the systems I recommend I have hands on experience. Can you send me in a PM pictures of the issues you are having. Thanks.

Also have you tried mounting and exhausting it out the top? That is what I normally do.

swiftor

swiftor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys, thanks for the help, I've got the Ultra build up and running - and it seems super fast.

Although to get it to the desktop I had to use the Graphics Enabler = No option. But apparently doing that breaks functionality in video editors - like Final Cut Pro? Is there something I missed to get it to play nice with the 660 and still use video editor apps?

If this post is in the wrong place, by all means please remove it and i'll move it, thanks!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,826 posts
Post in the Hardware Support forum/Graphics/nVidia: i use GE=No and both FCPX and Premiere CS6 work fine. Heck, even Video Decode Acceleration, which is usually problematic, works without i having done anything.

All the best!

JaE-V

JaE-V

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
So great to log back in after a year or so and see threads like this, thank yo for this list...i'll grab a few parts from the deluxe list and upgrade my build :)

puckmarin

puckmarin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Question: I'm coming from a AMD Hackintosh and a situation where I've had to jump through a lot of hoops to get OS X running and stable. If I buy the "Ultra" set-up am I looking at another situation where I'm going to be spending a lot of time working to get OS X to run or will OS X 10.8 just install without issue?

necrophagous

necrophagous

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

i think FSP aurum is another good alternative for the ultra build mate, 80 plus gold and relatively cheaper than any other psu

i've been using it for one of my build for 2 years and it really is very nice

TheSmartGuy

TheSmartGuy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

No! The VIA Audio chip have been much better in quality of audio for many years and is the more expensive audio for motherboard manufactures. Also AppleHDA does fully support this chip set. A quick look around and you would have been able to see this... Just saying. There is no need to use VoodooHDA with this system at all.

Where can I find a DSDT or guide for enabling audio on the GA-Z77MX-D3H? Google doesn't seem to give any good results. It seems like all of the people with this motherboard end up using VoodooHDA.

• U87 likes this

Long Cat

Long Cat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Great lists... (I know they were posted in March/ April but even still...)

Would it be right to assume the 'Killer' list would feature a 3930K build with a GTX 670/80 and maybe some SSDs for about $2500? And then what about a 'supreme' dual Xeon build or something... we can all dream.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts

I bet we could make a list with price points every $500! - but I think, for now, 3-4 machines is a pretty decent level.

I have been asked thru IM about Haswell options. I think its a little too early to make that leap just yet. Perhaps when 10.9 is out when the iTrashCan new MacPro are out we can adjust. Right now these builds are at great price points and are as close to rock-solid stable as you're gonna get.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recommended hardware, buying guide, $500, $1000, $1500, x79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy