GenericUSBXHCI USB 3.0 driver for OS X with source

928 posts in this topic

Ok thanks a lot Allan, I'll try that and let you know.

And by the way I've put back an old 10.8.5 system into my hack and, for several hours, and tried everything to make it freeze, it doesn't. So this is defintively a system issue not a hardware or bios or else problem.

I have tried USBfix with "-gux_defer_usb2" and "-gux_no_idle" flags but same thing, system freeze after 3 minutes "playing" with usb drives... arghhh !!!!

May be I should try with a fresh Yosemite install. Is it a good idea ? Is Yosemite worth or bettrer than Mavericks regarding usb stability ? Should I install GenericUSBXHCI.kext with Yosemite ?

Yes everything works ok. No glitch at all so far. But I came back to 10.8.5 because of a known bug with Yosemite and After Effects. On 10.8.5 I had to install GenericUSBXHCI.kext because the usb drives didn't mount without it. Since then 10.8.5 had worked without any trouble.

Just ot let know to others, it seems that there is random freezes with Cuda drivers and Yosemite. Personnaly I had one just after I installed Cuda on my fresh Yosemite system, after an hard reboot I used Yosemite for 1 hour or 2 and I had no freeze. Eventually I removed the Cuda drivers anyway because I don't really need it and I had no freeze on Yosemite then after.

On my 10.8.5 system Cuda drivers (6.5.18) are installed and I have no freeze at all. 10.8.5 is the more steady system with my hack to my experience.

So my conclusion is: DON'T USE MAVERICKS !!! NEVER USE MAVERICKS !! (at least with a config like mine). I hope it will help others :)

Thanks a lot Allan.

• Like 1

Anyone interested in my apple developer signed kext that works without kext-dev-mode=1 ?

If so i will attach it. No offence to Zenith of course. Just trying to be helpful...

Edit: For Yosemite GM candidate it is of course...

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone did / does have a signed kext that is working with the GMYLE BC628 on Yosemite (production release).

I am trying to get it working on a MBP 8,3 but having major issues...

Thanks

Hi Micky1979, 

Thanks for the message.

I have not actually tried kext-dev-mode=1 yet, mainly because I would not like to use this as a permanent solution - check this article: http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

Specifically the part which says "disabling the kext-signing to enable Trim is best described as taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and for most users it will not be worth it"...

This is why I would prefer the signed driver route if possible...

Thanks

Sorry but to sign a kext only need a $100 with a Apple Developper Account... or you want someone that paid it to sign GenericUSBXHCI.kext for you??? :P

EDIT

Trim Enabler is another story because it physically patch a kext, invalidating the signature by Apple 

Yeah I appreciate that, I was hoping either:

1) someone on here already has a signed driver that works (such as victor)

2) someone who already has a developer account could get the latest driver and sign it for us!

I am not just expecting someone to buy a dev account for me, although i would not complain!! :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Asus p8p67 Pro, I have tried GenericUSBXHCI.kext, usb 3.0 is working fine but I have an issue with sleep.

It goes to sleep and 1 sec after that it wakes up icon_wtf.gif
I have checked wake reasons, it is confirmed that it's usb 3 (when I remove kext it goes to sleep well).

I've also tried method with AppleUSBXHCI.kext editing, usb 3 is here in system profiler but my external HDD isn't detected.

Anyone ?

I have an Asus p8p67 Pro, I have tried GenericUSBXHCI.kext, usb 3.0 is working fine but I have an issue with sleep.

It goes to sleep and 1 sec after that it wakes up icon_wtf.gif

I have checked wake reasons, it is confirmed that it's usb 3 (when I remove kext it goes to sleep well).

I've also tried method with AppleUSBXHCI.kext editing, usb 3 is here in system profiler but my external HDD isn't detected.

Anyone ?

Try use:

-gux_defer_usb2 -gux_no_idle

Would be also interested in these .... depending on the chipset they support. Is that ASM1042?

​And after BOTH(!) my iPad and my iPhone were nearly bricked (I got a "Error: detected missing packet.") during iOS update, and only could be rescued using a "real" Mac, I am actually interested in ANY solution that's not GenericUSBXHCI. Let's face it, this kext SERIOUSLY needs some work, at least on my machine it is buggy, shaky and highly unreliable.

Any chance it will be further developed? Any idea what else I could do to finally solve my endless USB woes? is there any X79 Mobo with an USB3 chipset that is ​natively   supported in OSX? My impression is that as soon as you need an extra kext, you loose. And while I would totally hate it , maybe I even need an addiotinal card ...

​And finally, my reward offer is still valid! So I would be really really really happy about some help.

I am using Clover, and I think I have a pretty stable and reliable system with that - still some very minor issues here and there - but in general I am happy with my install ... except that whole USB(3) stuff of course.

Ok.

What version of OS X and GenericUSBXHCI are you using?

About USB3, you can use this boot arguments for help:

-gux_defer_usb2 -gux_no_idle

And try mark all this options in config.plist:

USB.png

• Like 1

Hi Allan,

​thanks for your hints! Unfortunately I have tried all of them, and nothing helped. Still having all those problems, esp. with my iOS devices.

​Am using 10.9.5, and Clover r3128, with GenericUSBXHCI I have tried all sorts of versions, currently I am on 1.2.8d9

Try this: GenericUSBXHCI.kext.zip

Or try add this patch in your USB3 entries in DSDT:

Device (XHC1)
{
    Name (_ADR, 0x00140000)  // _ADR: Address
    Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
    {
       0x0D, 
       0x04
    })

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
    {