• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Gotcha. Have you tried a completely flush backplate? I've been told the aluminum is .05" thick and that is a readily available thickness. Just curious if you or anyone has tried to make a completely flush backplate and how it went.

With the cost of producing new mesh, it would be cheaper to buy a second G5 and "donate" its mesh to the main G5. If you get a second one that works you could easily recoup the cost of it by parting out the things you don't need. I happen to have a second one. Hmmm.....

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts

Gotcha. Have you tried a completely flush backplate? I've been told the aluminum is .05" thick and that is a readily available thickness. Just curious if you or anyone has tried to make a completely flush backplate and how it went.

With the cost of producing new mesh, it would be cheaper to buy a second G5 and "donate" its mesh to the main G5. If you get a second one that works you could easily recoup the cost of it by parting out the things you don't need. I happen to have a second one. Hmmm.....

Yes, I did a flush one: http://www.thelaserh...n=viewtopic&t=2
It was a lot of work, but worth it.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...

Yes, I did a flush one: http://www.thelaserh...n=viewtopic&t=2
It was a lot of work, but worth it.

so that was YOUR mod... that is a nice clean mod - very seamless! if it wasn't so much work, I'd consider something like that for a redo on my G5... alas I am lazy.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
This is a neat and pro job. Congratz.

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I'm stuck at work so I cna't see the pics but I'll take a look at it tonight, thanks for sharing that.

EDIT: Took a look and that backplate is very very sexy. The holes are enough that it blends with the original design of the G5. So I'm guessing with just a few holes like that there wouldn't be any problem with warping while laser cutting?

This week ends my 5 weeks from Gehenna so expect actual progress now. I'm going to start fabricating the pieces I do have final designs for, the PSU holder, middle shelf, and start working on a top shelf.

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts

Took a look and that backplate is very very sexy. The holes are enough that it blends with the original design of the G5. So I'm guessing with just a few holes like that there wouldn't be any problem with warping while laser cutting?

Exactly right. A few holes close together is okay, start making a mesh design though and that's when you run into warping.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: g5, mod, modding, powermac, apple

Topic Stats Last Post Info

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy