[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI

GhostRaider

2,093 posts in this topic

hello

i succesfully install 10.8.3 on my acer 7741g (i3-380) with this guide

all is ok except sleep

after sleep and wake my system freeze and hard reset is necessary

the desktop is like before sleep 

only the mouse move but have no effect when i click and only the fn key for backlight have effect

i can acces to the share rep with another desktop but i can't access to the screen share

the wake reason is allways SLPB LID0

i suppose that it's a video problem with intel hd  that can be fixed in the dsdt

if someone can take a look in the dsdt i post

thank you for the help

7741g dsdt.aml.zip

Like others in this thread, I have QE/CI (i3 370M) working but I too have low OpenGL scores. ATI 5650 (Switchable graphics disabled. No problem) 

Now the interesting part:

1) My OpenGL Cube tests never give me above 60FPS in window mode no matter what edits I do in my AGPM kext. In full screen mode this test ramps up to 380FPS range

2) Iron fist Boxing King 6 FPS (windowed or full screen)

2) If I switch screens during the test in windowed mode (move from one workspace to other) my Cube score ramps up to 200 FPS range. No such behaviour in Iron fist test.

3) In my console, I find these lines

29/08/13 6:42:39.000 PM kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor8086Device0046
29/08/13 6:42:39.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 Initialized, Control ID 16
29/08/13 6:42:40.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(0, 0): fHwPstate = 3 fFB = 0xffffff801027f800
29/08/13 6:42:40.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(): state = 0. Calling fFB->setAggressiveness()...
29/08/13 6:42:41.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 0 from 3, ControlID = 16. SW occupancy updated.

We see that the GPU is booted into power state 3, then immediately, setAggressiveness tries to boost it to state 0 of High performance and it stays there.

But I see NO performance changes no matter what I do. Plus, the GPU never changes state after that till I restart to see the same message again.

My guess is that the GPU is unable to change states. So when Mac tries to change the state, it fails. But there is nothing in the console. Also, OpenGL performance and desktop performance are different stories. Desktop performance is Good but chess runs choppy, VLC full screen switch is choppy, etc. 

What could be the reason for this?

LVDS display(1366x768) AppleIntelHDGraphics and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB (not the alternate, the first one) No Natit (did DSDT patching)

Hey, just want to toss my 2 cents in here. I've been following this form for a while now (thank you very much to everyone and their hard work) and thought i'd create an account to post my own experience. My system is a Toshiba L655-S5155 With an Intel core i5 430m Processor and 1st gen IGPU. The Display is a LVDS connection and thus a pretty good candidate for enabling CI/QE. I followed this guide and patched my own framebuffer, but as soon as i would reboot i would get stuck on the boot screen with a frozen wheel. i was able to remote in and discover that 10.8.4 wasn't detecting my LCD.

The solution was very simple: I had to patch the framebuffer as VGA (Not LCD) then reboot with an external monitor attached to the VGA port. The computer would then boot into OS X, display on the built-in LCD panel, and fully detect it as a built in display with full CI/QE. After it fully booted i could then freely remove the external display and use the built-in display. It continues to work just fine after numerous reboot without needing to reconnect the external display..........so why it needed it connected that 1 time when i applied the framebuffer kext i don't know, but it works great. Just thought i'd pass that along if anyone else is struggling with the frozen boot wheel like i was for weeks. :)

That's an interesting workaround lol, but hey maybe it could also be a discovery. Has any user with an eDP display tried this and see what happens?

Does someone managed to got VGA out?

Well technically VGA output does work, but not in the way its suppose to. For example, for my Gateway laptop (should also happen to Acer laptops as well) if you patch the framebuffer with LVDS+VGA, and you restart your computer, connect the VGA monitor once the Apple boot screen appears and at one point, the VGA display will display the exact same thing as the internal LCD. However, the VGA monitor isn't detected at all and you can't change the resolution of it. In other words, the VGA output gets activated and transmits a picture, but never actually detects the actual VGA display.

No and, boy!, how i tried. Same for sleep, just as the guy posting immediately above.

While I do have sleep working, waking up is the issue that I haven't bothered fixing. Laptop wakes up but LCD, keyboard/trackpad and usb ports are dead. Maybe in the future I'll revisit this issue and see what else to do.

Like others in this thread, I have QE/CI (i3 370M) working but I too have low OpenGL scores. ATI 5650 (Switchable graphics disabled. No problem) 

Now the interesting part:

1) My OpenGL Cube tests never give me above 60FPS in window mode no matter what edits I do in my AGPM kext. In full screen mode this test ramps up to 380FPS range

2) Iron fist Boxing King 6 FPS (windowed or full screen)

2) If I switch screens during the test in windowed mode (move from one workspace to other) my Cube score ramps up to 200 FPS range. No such behaviour in Iron fist test.

3) In my console, I find these lines

29/08/13 6:42:39.000 PM kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor8086Device0046
29/08/13 6:42:39.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 Initialized, Control ID 16
29/08/13 6:42:40.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(0, 0): fHwPstate = 3 fFB = 0xffffff801027f800
29/08/13 6:42:40.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(): state = 0. Calling fFB->setAggressiveness()...
29/08/13 6:42:41.000 PM kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 0 from 3, ControlID = 16. SW occupancy updated.

We see that the GPU is booted into power state 3, then immediately, setAggressiveness tries to boost it to state 0 of High performance and it stays there.

But I see NO performance changes no matter what I do. Plus, the GPU never changes state after that till I restart to see the same message again.

My guess is that the GPU is unable to change states. So when Mac tries to change the state, it fails. But there is nothing in the console. Also, OpenGL performance and desktop performance are different stories. Desktop performance is Good but chess runs choppy, VLC full screen switch is choppy, etc. 

What could be the reason for this?

LVDS display(1366x768) AppleIntelHDGraphics and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB (not the alternate, the first one) No Natit (did DSDT patching)

I'm not sure if this is relevant (or necessary) but there is something that I did that I haven't explained in the guide and that was patching FakeSMC to support the native SMC version of MacBook Pro 6,2. FakeSMC uses an older SMC version that does not emulate a MacBook Pro 6,1/6,2. It did seem to improve the performance a bit, but not by much. I haven't tried emulating other SMBIOS so someone else can try that and report their findings. 

Discovered by Prasys:

http://prasys.info/2009/11/editing-fakesmc/

I am unable to run OpenGL Extension Viewer in Core mode. It crashes. Runs fine in Compatibility mode.

Is it the same with everyone here?

Umm I believe the Core profile is only for graphics cards or IGPUs that supports OpenGL 3.1+. The 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics IGPU only supports up to OpenGL 2.1 so that is why it only pops up in Compatibility profile. 

post-620531-0-05839400-1377923857_thumb.png

• Like 1

I tried the FakeSMC edit thing, it didn't help.

On further research, I found that when I select Apple Software Renderer instead of Intel HD Graphics, it shows "0Mb Video memory". I would like this to be confirmed. Is it the case with everyone else? Is it normal?

What I am concluding to now is that somehow, our patched frame buffers and kexts are not being used by *SOME* of the OS's engine to draw and refresh UI. Some applications which directly access the OpenGL are giving acceleration but not other such as Chess, clicking on reading list in Safari, the page moves choppily, VLC full screen switch is slow and finally, the OpenGL benchmarks are different in windowed and full screen mode which ideally must not be so. All this, I have found out by reading about the API page for OpenGL graphics implementation by Apple where there is tons of data that I didn't understand to be honest. :P 

I think I am getting on to something here. Please guide further. Is there any such thing like a plist file etc. where we can specify such stuff?  :unsure:

I tried the FakeSMC edit thing, it didn't help.

On further research, I found that when I select Apple Software Renderer instead of Intel HD Graphics, it shows "0Mb Video memory". I would like this to be confirmed. Is it the case with everyone else? Is it normal?

What I am concluding to now is that somehow, our patched frame buffers and kexts are not being used by *SOME* of the OS's engine to draw and refresh UI. Some applications which directly access the OpenGL are giving acceleration but not other such as Chess, clicking on reading list in Safari, the page moves choppily, VLC full screen switch is slow and finally, the OpenGL benchmarks are different in windowed and full screen mode which ideally must not be so. All this, I have found out by reading about the API page for OpenGL graphics implementation by Apple where there is tons of data that I didn't understand to be honest. :P

I think I am getting on to something here. Please guide further. Is there any such thing like a plist file etc. where we can specify such stuff?  :unsure:

The only way to confirm that this issue only happens to our hackintoshes is to find someone with a 2010 MacBook Pro and disable the dedicated graphics card. In other words, force the Intel HD Graphics IGPU to do all the rendering. If there is lag, then the Apple engineers did not do a good job in coding the kexts for our IGPU. That is something that we can't fix.

I've searched Google and there are reports that the Intel HD Graphics IGPU lags even on 2010 MacBook pros while others say they don't notice anything. Again that doesn't really confirm anything.

There might be better graphics support on the final release of OS X 10.9 Mavericks as Apple said their main focus was on battery life, and well IGPUs are known to conserve power. The DP releases are not final so its best to wait for the real thing. 

I'm not sure if anyone has ever noticed but let's say you have 3 application windows open.  If you keep pressing the Mission Control button (F3) or keep clicking on the Mission Control icon, you will notice that at some points it lags and then later animations moves smoothly. How's that possible?

Another example. Pressing the Dashboard button (F4) once opens Dashboard. Pressing it again goes back to the desktop. Now, press the the Dashboard button twice and then the Mission Control button (F4). At one point, the animations will feel smooth. So keep repeating it. Keep pressing Dashboard (F4) twice, mission control (F3) twice and repeat. Eventually you'll see what I mean.

In other words, that is basically telling us that something is controlling the Intel HD Graphics power. Some points it has full power, other times it doesn't switch fast and lag appears. Again that leads us back to the AGPM kext. Either we haven't played around enough with that kext, or something else is controlling the IGPU.

Guys, I want to share my working SSDT table of injections (SSDT-5.aml in my case), which is loaded from /Extra. Basically, the Internal Graphic device is called IGPU, so that mean that the name come from the DSDT, previously I renamed all his declarations from GFX0. And, that's all I need... no more GE=Yes (instead I have GE=No to disable the graphic injection from Chameleon), and also I don't need Natit.kext. Just loading from SSDT injection or DSDT injection (if you prefer that way). Of course + the patched FrameBuffer (AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext) installed in /S/L/E. I hope this helps.

SSDT-5.aml.zip

Hi, friends,

I followed this very good guide to enable CI and QE on laptop in my signature, I patched my AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext with giofrida's patcher, I installed it with others kext, but QE does'nt works, I can't see any video. I had to install natit kext or my laptop failed to boot. I think that AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext works because I have correct resolution (1366x768), so, what's wrong? the others graphics kext? I extracted my DSDT with DSDT editor, I optimized it but I can't fix the errors inside it. I upload my graphics kext, DSDT and intel_reg_dumper file, hoping some help.

Thank you

files AsusX52F.zip

Guys, I want to share my working SSDT table of injections (SSDT-5.aml in my case), which is loaded from /Extra. Basically, the Internal Graphic device is called IGPU, so that mean that the name come from the DSDT, previously I renamed all his declarations from GFX0. And, that's all I need... no more GE=Yes (instead I have GE=No to disable the graphic injection from Chameleon), and also I don't need Natit.kext. Just loading from SSDT injection or DSDT injection (if you prefer that way). Of course + the patched FrameBuffer (AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext) installed in /S/L/E. I hope this helps.

Does this SSDT improve your performance? How did you know that SSDT-5 is your official DSDT?

Hi, friends,

I followed this very good guide to enable CI and QE on laptop in my signature, I patched my AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext with giofrida's patcher, I installed it with others kext, but QE does'nt works, I can't see any video. I had to install natit kext or my laptop failed to boot. I think that AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext works because I have correct resolution (1366x768), so, what's wrong? the others graphics kext? I extracted my DSDT with DSDT editor, I optimized it but I can't fix the errors inside it. I upload my graphics kext, DSDT and intel_reg_dumper file, hoping some help.

Thank you

Umm... are you seriously using a corrupt DSDT? That's what you uploaded.  :huh:

GhostRaider

I didn't know it's corrupt. I extracted it and I tried to optimize and fix errors... Then I put it in my ACPI Folder. Are you saying that it does'nt work and that deleting it my laptop works in the same way? I'll try. In this case it's better to remove it?

Friend, you need to extract a clean copy of your DSDT, and then patch it again with the patches you need and with Intel HD Graphics patches (AAPL OS-info, VRAM, Model). Delete Natit since you don't need it at all. Natit was never meant to be used as a permanent solution. If you have time to patch the DSDT, then patch it. From the looks of things you need to patch the 10.8.4 framebuffer with LVDS and Link Width X1. (If the screen looks scrambled, then patching with X2, X3, X4 might help) It should work once you restart again. If not, then you probably need to disable some of the framebuffer features (editing info.plist). Again every information you need is in the guide.

I'm guessing your new to hackintoshing? Just make sure you have done everything correct and have done all other possible solutions. I think your making things too complicated. :wacko:

Yes, I'm a newbe oh hackintoshing. About Natit, at this moment I need it or my laptop does'nt boot. I will extract a clean copy of my DSDT from windows, start studying DSDT patches and try to applicate them. thank you

Edit: anyway, this is my clean extracted DSDT from windows

dsdt AsusX52F.zip

Yes, I'm a newbe oh hackintoshing. About Natit, at this moment I need it or my laptop does'nt boot. I will extract a clean copy of my DSDT from windows, start studying DSDT patches and try to applicate them. thank you

I looked at your DSDT, and there are a bunch of errors. I suggest you ask for help in the DSDT section. I mean if you want to learn more about patching your DSDT, ask the person that patches your DSDT what they did to fix it. Its good to know.

Anyways, I recently got my hands on Parallels 9 (a virtual machine to run Windows on OS X) and I must say its pretty crazy. It looks good and doesn't seem slow at all.  B)

post-620531-0-50656300-1378441480_thumb.png

The only time you would ever need to dualboot Windows is if you want to play Windows games or maybe you need to use the VGA/HDMI ports. Other than that you don't really need Windows on your PC.

1st Generation Intel Core i Series processors with Intel HD Graphics + Parallels 9 = No problems at all!  :)  

Hi. Try this dsdt.

Fixed and patched with:

_T_x rename

DTGP

EHCI

FN KEYS

FPED

IRQs

LPC

New HPET

RTC

SHUTDOWN

SMBUS

UHCI

dsdt AsusX52F.zip

Thank you giofrida!

But, what I do? I have to put this DSDT into my ACPI folder and delete the old DSDT and natit kext? And the others graphic kext?

Grazie, giofrida! Che faccio, sostituisco il mio DSDT con questo e cancello natit.kext? Le altre kext per la grafica restano, suppongo.

Vorrei impratichirmi alla modifica di kext e DSDT, concettualmente ho capito di che si tratta, ma le guide online sono spesso frammentate, parziali e danno per scontate molte conoscenze nella loro esposizione, chi parte da zero non è in grado di studiare bene.

GhostRaider

unfortunately my wife needs windows... I have to buy a laptop only for her.

Thank you giofrida!

But, what I do? I have to put this DSDT into my ACPI folder and delete the old DSDT and natit kext? And the others graphic kext?

Grazie, giofrida! Che faccio, sostituisco il mio DSDT con questo e cancello natit.kext? Le altre kext per la grafica restano, suppongo.

Vorrei impratichirmi alla modifica di kext e DSDT, concettualmente ho capito di che si tratta, ma le guide online sono spesso frammentate, parziali e danno per scontate molte conoscenze nella loro esposizione, chi parte da zero non è in grado di studiare bene.

GhostRaider

unfortunately my wife needs windows... I have to buy a laptop only for her.

Yes you have to replace your actual DSDT with that one. Do not delete the kexts.

Si, devi sostituire il tuo attuale DSDT con quello. Non eliminare i kexts.

Per quanto riguarda le guide di base, forse riesci a trovare info nella categoria DSDT del forum.

Altre risorse preziose (patches): olarila.com/forum/packs.php | olarila.com/forum/patches.php

Hi, giofrida (better explaned in Italian)

I'm sorry, but your DSDT does'nt work. I replaced it in acpi folder, but starting I see wath's in the picture I attach. The only way to start is with -x and I can see the desktop with no graphics effects. I deleted and installed again the video kext, but nothing change. Now the problem is that if I replace your DSDT with the old one or I delete them nothing change. I tried to create a new pandora installer puting your DSDT in it, but the installation fails. In the same way, replacing your DSDT with the old one or I deleting them nothing change also in pandora installer. The installation stops at "system updated in nanoseconds..." I know that adding the flags I could succeed, but I don't want put flags cause the firs time I installed ML (with pandora and the original DSDT) I did it only with -x -v. What I can do? I'ts better try to resolve on ML installed or to format it and try to install again? Thank you.

EDIT 11:51 PM

I created a new Pandora installer with the original DSDT. Starting with -x -v the installation goes until the language choise screen. I shutdown and replace the patched DSDT with the original one in Pandora installer. Starting with -x -v the installation goes until the language choise screen again. I shutdown again and wait for your instructions before proceed.

Ciao giofrida, mi dispiace ma il tuo DSDT non va. Il SO parte solo con -x, anche rimettendo il vecchio DSDT o cancellandolo proprio. Cioè, a partire parte, ma non si vede niente, come da foto allegata. Ho provato anche ad eliminare gli altri kext grafici, a reinstallarli, ma non cambia niente. Ho cercato di ricreare un'altra pen drive di installazione con Pandora mettendo il tuo DSDT per riformattare il tutto, ma si blocca l'installazione. Anche in pandora, sostituendo il tuo DSDT con quello vecchio o cancellandolo proprio non cambia niente, il sistema si blocca in "system updated in nanoseconds..." So che smanettando con i flags potrei arrivare alla schermata di installazione, ma vorrei evitare dato che la prima volta che ho installato mi è bastato cancellare da Pandora la cartella backup installation kext (o simile...) e con -x -v ce l'ho fatta tranquillamente. Oggi provo a riformattare la pendrive e a rifare un'altra Pandora con l'originario DSDT. Tu cosa mi consigli? di cercare di aggiustare il sistema operativo che ho già installato o è meglio cercare di installare da zero e poi aggiustare tutto? Ciao e grazie

EDIT 23:50

Creato una nuova pandora installer, l'installazione con -x -v procede fino alla scelta della lingua sia con il DSDT originale sia con quello patchato, al che spengo perchè non so che fare. Io penso che sarebbe meglio installare da zero con il DSDT patchato e poi installare le kext grafiche, ma attendo istruzioni.

DSC02080.zip

Alright friends, I just want to report that there are no issues in 10.8.5. All is well.  :) I will add the 10.8.5 CI and QE/CI download links soon. Again you can either wait for my zip packages or you can use Giofrida's Intel HD Graphics patcher to patch the 10.8.5 framebuffer. I will update as soon as they are available.

• Like 1

Strange, i reinstall Mavericks 10.9, patched 10.8.5 framebuffer, add in exclude list, install natit.kext, but QE don't works. A few month ago i had done the same thing and works without problems. If i can't do it, i will try 10.8.5 and new patched kexts. But there are possibilities to have a patched 10.9 Intelhd kexts? Maybe when Mavericks stable will be released? Thanks

Strange, i reinstall Mavericks 10.9, patched 10.8.5 framebuffer, add in exclude list, install natit.kext, but QE don't works. A few month ago i had done the same thing and works without problems. If i can't do it, i will try 10.8.5 and new patched kexts. But there are possibilities to have a patched 10.9 Intelhd kexts? Maybe when Mavericks stable will be released? Thanks

Do you or anyone else have Mavericks 10.9 DP 7 installed? Would you mind uploading the Intel HD Graphics DP7 kexts (clean kexts/not modified)? I kind of want to test out something.