[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI

GhostRaider

2,093 posts in this topic

Im on 10.8.5

Using Ubuntu i found out my display is "enabled"

I installed the text files from the guide and modified my frame buffer using Giofrida's Intel HD Graphics Patcher

When I booted it was stuck on the apple logo

I deleted the kexts to get the system to boot, installed the kexts again but this time installed Natit aswell

When the system boots I now get this display

post-1214558-0-04086300-1380180765_thumb.jpg

Any idea how I can fix this??

Im on 10.8.5

Using Ubuntu i found out my display is "enabled"

I installed the text files from the guide and modified my frame buffer using Giofrida's Intel HD Graphics Patcher

When I booted it was stuck on the apple logo

I deleted the kexts to get the system to boot, installed the kexts again but this time installed Natit aswell

When the system boots I now get this display

attachicon.gifIMG_0571.JPG

Any idea how I can fix this??

Friend, your not suppose to patch the framebuffer kexts files in my QE/CI packages because they are already patched for you. Second, you need to determine whether your laptop uses DualLink. If your native resolution is higher than 1366x768 then you have to pick a DualLink framebuffer. If your native resolution is 1366x768 or lower use a SingleLink framebuffer. Then you have to pick which Link Width to use. If LW1 doesn't work use LW2, LW3, etc.

In some cases if the apple boot screen freezes then you may have to pick an alternative framebuffer. These have the plist files slightly modified. As I said to many people, its a trial and error situation.

• Like 1

Friend, your not suppose to patch the framebuffer kexts files in my QE/CI packages because they are already patched for you. Second, you need to determine whether your laptop uses DualLink. If your native resolution is higher than 1366x768 then you have to pick a DualLink framebuffer. If your native resolution is 1366x768 or lower use a SingleLink framebuffer. Then you have to pick which Link Width to use. If LW1 doesn't work use LW2, LW3, etc.

In some cases if the apple boot screen freezes then you may have to pick an alternative framebuffer. These have the plist files slightly modified. As I said to many people, its a trial and error situation.

Thanks for the reply

My native resolution is 1366 x 768 so I'll try the single link frame buffer now

---------------

SingleLink - LW1 worked!

THANKS!!

Do you absolutely need natit. Some users don't need it double check to see, because natit does some tricks of its own.

Also try editing natit's plist and disable dual link and such,also be aware of what extra video options your boot-loader adds.

Example: if i don't disable all boot-loader args to do with video i get messed up screen.

Lastly try different patch combinations.. like single link width 2, single link width 3 and so on.........Dual link width 1,Dual link width 3.

May sound stupid but i've done in for testing sake and results vary.

Hi 2bad0,

you're lifesaver, I've been trying all day to get it working, and always landed either with stuck, reboot or distorted screen. Once I've removed Intel injection from Clover I have working system with QE/CI (according to DVD "show supported features" info) :-)

p.s

@GhostRaider, you can update your excelent guide with note that if screen is distorted one may disable any graphics injections (at least for Clover).

RIght now I'm booting from Clover USB (FAT32 formatted) as I was unable to get it working when installed to HFS partition.

My hardware is Asus U30JC, Core i5-560M, HD Graphics with Optimus (Nvidia 310M - not usable under OSX).

--

best regards

fingerr

Hi 2bad0,

you're lifesaver, I've been trying all day to get it working, and always landed either with stuck, reboot or distorted screen. Once I've removed Intel injection from Clover I have working system with QE/CI (according to DVD "show supported features" info) :-)

p.s

@GhostRaider, you can update your excelent guide with note that if screen is distorted one may disable any graphics injections (at least for Clover).

RIght now I'm booting from Clover USB (FAT32 formatted) as I was unable to get it working when installed to HFS partition.

My hardware is Asus U30JC, Core i5-560M, HD Graphics with Optimus (Nvidia 310M - not usable under OSX).

--

best regards

fingerr

@fingerr Also an Optimus user here, also don't use the Clover Intel HD Injection. You should try to create your own patched DSDT as you can read in the guide (first post).

@others Anyone tried my tweaks? Results? :)

@fingerr Also an Optimus user here, also don't use the Clover Intel HD Injection. You should try to create your own patched DSDT as you can read in the guide (first post).

@others Anyone tried my tweaks? Results? :)

Hi beta992,

my DSDT is patched (nvidia not visible in ML), but I'm trying to make brightness slider to work. I can adjust brightness OOB but slider is not visible. I've modified DSDT and when I go to screen settings I can see slider but it just don't work (nothing happens when sliding). Can you have a look at my DSDT and check what can be wrong?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=129266

p.s.

I'll try your mods but first I'd like to make  AppleHDA.kext and brightness working.

--edit--

I've tried your kext's but AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (I've replaced all three kext's) is not loaded,and log doesn't say anything about it.

Can't say if there is any improvement because I have no idea if GPU throttling is working, and HWSensors doesn't detect my intel grpahics. Any ideas?

I'd probably would have to run some benchmarks but right now no time to play with this and I don't play games (no time for that :-( ).

--

thanks in advance and best regards

fingerr

• Like 1

I heard Apple released Developer Preview 8. Does the framebuffer patch work on Mavericks DP8? If so, then our 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics will be fully compatible with OS X Mavericks when it officially releases in October. Although Giofrida did not offically discover QE/CI, he did however found how to patch OS X 10.9. B)

Well there doesn't seem to be anything new for 10.8.5 in this thread but does VGA/HDMI out work on 10.9 or still the same?

Ghost, what're the performance impact of the maverick platform in our first gen HD... same, low or fast?  how about stability.

I will upgrade to mavericks for the battery savings but I want to know what about performance in these new version

Mavericks GM has released. Luckily it seems that there's nothing changed. The patcher still works.

But I sometimes face a problem which the screenshot shows after I work for a long time. The original kexts from GM is also provided below.

post-1184094-0-04696000-1380983342_thumb.png

post-1184094-0-29518800-1380984071_thumb.png

MavericksGMKexts.zip

A restart can fix the problem temporarily. But I want to know how to solve it forever.

Ghost, what're the performance impact of the maverick platform in our first gen HD... same, low or fast?  how about stability.

I will upgrade to mavericks for the battery savings but I want to know what about performance in these new version

I just recently installed OS X Mavericks GM and for everyone else who doesn't know, QE/CI works. As for performance, I think its about the same, maybe slightly faster. I haven't had time to play around with it but for the most part everything seems alright. Again every computer will have different performances but if your happy with 10.8.5 performance, it will be very similar in 10.9 GM.

As for stability, its good. 

I'll probably update the guide when Mavericks officially releases to the public. Don't have time at the moment but again if you guys want to jump in, you can patch the frame buffer using Giofrida's patcher. His patcher can also patch the plist file to Normal, Alternative, and Alternative 2 if you need it.

post-620531-0-72488900-1381122490_thumb.png

Thanks. :)

A bit, no much. But the ASUS cooling-part is really bad. To give you an example, I needed to create some holes on the back of the notebook to get some heat out, result: from 60C to 56C idle. :P

Now with tweaking (kexts, Clover, etc.) I managed to get around 50-53C idle. :)

To be honest, I also replaced the i3 with an i5-520M CPU, I don't think the notebook was made for a higher CPU, although it is working fine. :P

HI Beta992,

which AppleACPIPlatform do you use 1.3.x or stock one 1.8 from ML? If 1.8 tell me if you've modified your DSDT to show proper battery readings.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

fingerr.

Ghostrider, can you upload your intelhd kexts? I tried to patch the default FB from 10.9 but i get no luck, CI and resolution works but QE is not ;(. 10.8.5 and 10.8.4 works fine with kext from this topic and SingleLink+LCD FB.

BTW: Does anybody know how to set the default value for Brightness slider? (it returns to 100% after reboot)

HI to all,

i running 10.7.5 on a Acer travelmate 5744.

How can i enable the Intel HD Graphics on 10.7.5?

I try to install 10.8 but all the Machine does is rebooting on and on.

So i am stuck on 10.7.5

Thanx

Kaltenbecher

Try to use IntelHD patcher by Glofrida

I'm surprised nobody has said anything about VGA support. Well apparently it works in Mavericks just not the way its suppose to. I guess this is good for users who hate the Internal LCD display and prefer to use an external VGA display. You can basically convert a laptop into a mac mini. You can't extend displays so you have to pick between VGA or LCD.

I'll probably write about this in the Extras (Optional) section in my guide.

post-620531-0-89344200-1381541485_thumb.png

post-620531-0-79649400-1381541506_thumb.png

I'm surprised nobody has said anything about VGA support. Well apparently it works in Mavericks just not the way its suppose to. I guess this is good for users who hate the Internal LCD display and prefer to use an external VGA display. You can basically convert a laptop into a mac mini. You can't extend displays so you have to pick between VGA or LCD. You can probably connect an HDMI display as well but you'll need a VGA to HDMI adapter.

I'll probably write about this in the Extras (Optional) section in my guide.

Thx man will the HDMI work without any extra work or will i have to install extra kext