OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Update re: NVIDIA drivers and 650 Ti.

I keep getting a prompt from the NVIDIA control panel about CUDA driver "update required."

This apparently is a known issue amongst the Mac Pro community using NVIDIA drivers, and are awaiting another CUDA driver update.

When I revert back to OS X graphics drivers, I keep getting the same panic/error on startup/shutdown, so I will keep it on the NVIDIA driver for now, despite the annoying update prompt.  [when reverting back to NVIDIA driver it seems to require 2-3 attempts/reboots...]

Update re: NVIDIA drivers and 650 Ti.

I keep getting a prompt from the NVIDIA control panel about CUDA driver "update required."

This apparently is a known issue amongst the Mac Pro community using NVIDIA drivers, and are awaiting another CUDA driver update.

When I revert back to OS X graphics drivers, I keep getting the same panic/error on startup/shutdown, so I will keep it on the NVIDIA driver for now, despite the annoying update prompt.  [when reverting back to NVIDIA driver it seems to require 2-3 attempts/reboots...]

According to fantomas1for those who have the last nvidia web driver (this also concerns the previous releases)

and have the 'CUDA Driver update required' message with the last CUDA 6.5.18 driver version, here's the fix:

Go to /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/Resources then open Info.plist.

Find <key>NVDAResmanVersions</key> and add this:

<key>343.01.01</key>

<string>343.01.01</string>

• Like 1

According to fantomas1for those who have the last nvidia web driver (this also concerns the previous releases)

and have the 'CUDA Driver update required' message with the last CUDA 6.5.18 driver version, here's the fix:

Go to /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/Resources then open Info.plist.

Find <key>NVDAResmanVersions</key> and add this:

<key>343.01.01</key>

<string>343.01.01</string>

DarwinX:

That worked brilliantly!  

Annoying popup message on startup gone.

Thanks so much!

• Like 2

@toastie & @baldy_man

I guess the first thing for me to find out is if someone else on this board has iPhone <-> Mac AOS AirDrop working while the device ID is MacPro3,1.

Can anyone confirm that?

If that is the case then that tells me something - that maybe I don't have to change my device ID and need to look elsewhere for the problem.

@toastie I'm using the Iogear GBU521 and iPhone 5 also. It works for me. I'm using it with a BT trackpad, and I've tethered to my iPhone when I forgot to pay my cable bill and Internet got cut off. See below for SysRep including trackpad and iPhone.

I don't believe it's a hardware thing. My belief is that some software routine checks the device ID and say, "Oh, it's a MacPro3,1 from March 2009, it's too old to support AirDrop, therefore I will disable it" so that's why I'm asking if anyone else has changed the device ID from the default MacPro3,1 to something newer.

The Apple Support page at http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6510 says the requirement is for "Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)"

I can see where that could be a problem even though my AOS identifies as having AirPort Extreme and supporting AirDrop (I'm using the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800).

Here's what the SysRep says about wireless (note "AirDrop: Supported"):

Interfaces:
 en1:
   Card Type:	AirPort Extreme  (0x168C, 0x3112)
   Firmware Version:	Atheros 9380: 4.0.74.0-P2P
   MAC Address: --snip--
   Locale:	Unknown
   Country Code:	
   Supported PHY Modes:	802.11 a/b/g/n
   Supported Channels:	1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64
   Wake On Wireless:	Supported
   AirDrop:	Supported

And here's what it says about Bluetooth (including trackpad and iPhone):

Apple Bluetooth Software Version:	4.3.0f10 14890
  Hardware, Features, and Settings:
	  Name:	Mac Pro
	  Address:	--snip--
	  Bluetooth Low Energy Supported:	Yes
	  Handoff Supported:	No
	  Instant Hotspot Supported:	No
	  Manufacturer:	Broadcom
	  Transport:	USB
	  Chipset:	20702A3
	  Firmware Version:	v14 c4096
	  Bluetooth Power:	On
	  Discoverable:	Off
	  Connectable:	Yes
	  Auto Seek Pointing:	On
	  Remote wake:	On
	  Vendor ID:	0x0A5C
	  Product ID:	0x21E8
	  HCI Version:	0x6
	  HCI Revision:	0x1000
	  LMP Version:	0x6
	  LMP Subversion:	0x220E
	  Device Type (Major):	Computer
	  Device Type (Complete):	Mac Desktop
	  Composite Class Of Device:	0x380104
	  Device Class (Major):	0x01
	  Device Class (Minor):	0x01
	  Service Class:	0x1C0
	  Auto Seek Keyboard:	On
  Devices (Paired, Configured, etc.):
	  Trackpad:
		  Major Type:	Peripheral
		  Minor Type:	Trackpad
		  Services:	Apple Wireless Trackpad
		  Paired:	Yes
		  Configured:	Yes
		  Connected:	Yes
		  Manufacturer:	Apple (0x3, 0x31C)
		  Battery Level:	25%
		  Firmware Version:	0x0160
		  Vendor ID:	0x05AC
		  Product ID:	0x030E
		  Class of Device:	0x05 0x25 0x2594
		  AFH:	On
		  AFH Map:	00000F0FFFFFF7F
		  RSSI:	-75
		  Role:	Master
		  Connection Mode:	Sniff Mode
		  Interval:	11.25 ms
		  Host Connectable:	Yes
		  EDR Supported:	No
		  eSCO Supported:	No
		  SSP Supported:	No
	  iPhone:
		  Major Type:	Phone
		  Minor Type:	Smartphone
		  Services:	PAN Network Access Profile, AVRCP Device, Handsfree Gateway, Audio Source, Wireless iAP, MAP MAS-iOS, AVRCP Device, Phonebook
		  Paired:	Yes
		  Configured:	Yes
		  Connected:	No
		  Manufacturer:	Broadcom (0x7, 0x410D)
		  Firmware Version:	0x0700
		  Vendor ID:	0x05AC
		  Product ID:	0x12A8
		  Class of Device:	0x02 0x03 0x7A020C
		  EDR Supported:	Yes
		  eSCO Supported:	Yes
		  SSP Supported:	Yes
  Services:
	  Bluetooth File Transfer:
		  When receiving items:	Accept all without warning
		  State:	Disabled
	  Bluetooth File Exchange:
		  When other items are accepted:	Save to location
		  When receiving items:	Accept all without warning
	  Bluetooth Internet Sharing:
  Incoming Serial Ports:
		  Bluetooth-Incoming-Port:
			  RFCOMM Channel:	3
			  Requires Authentication:	No
  Outgoing Serial Ports:
	  iPhone-WirelessiAP:
		  Address:	
		  RFCOMM Channel:	1
	  Bluetooth-Modem:
		  Address:	
		  RFCOMM Channel:	0

Now that I have my QUO Yosemite system up and running, apparently flawlessly (thanks everyone!)....

...I would like to go for gold and try overclocking this guy.  It's been a while since I've overclocked, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Looking at older posts in this thread, "InteliMac Pro" (PM'ed) had a stable overclock at 4.3GHz.

My RAM (1600, CL11) will be a limitation, and I'm using just a Cooler Master 212+ CPU heatsink.

The XML profile1 in RAM settings may be a start?

@Cobra03 i use Applecations/ disk utilities . with 1479 bios i don't need to change anything. 

Can you do me a favor? goto: Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

And tell me what you have inside the .plist

Thanks

Toastie and others:  

I dove in and just got this quo motherboard setup.  1479 bios.  Vanilla 10.10 install.   Also with 650 Ti graphics card (with HDMI cable).

I was getting the same panic report on nearly every shutdown, just like you and Redtigerxx.

I was able to find the following drivers on the Nvidia website for Yosemite:

- Cuda driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-6.5.18-driver.html

- GeForce for Mac: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us

Installed both, then in the "NVIDIA Driver Manager" control panel in System Preferences, selected "NVIDIA Web Driver".

Reboot, and no more panic messages!  (for now)

Any of you using Trim Enabler by Cindori?

If so, any issues?

I know there is that kext security disable thing with Yosemite, but I figure it doesn't really matter to us.

Thanks.

Well I'll be damned this worked (so far)! It took a few tries to get the switch to web drivers to stick, but once it did it booted up with no KP. Great work! I also saw something I've never seen: The boot progress bar finished. It did disappear to a black screen for a second, but then came back and finished before bringing up the login window. 

BTW, I've got Trim Enabler and it's working fine. I never entered kext dev mode into NVRAM, as the patch apparently does that (or some equivalent of it) for you. Or maybe it's in Oz by default now? Either way, it works.

• Like 1

Just tried overclocking (thanks InteliMac Pro).

Limited bios options, but I set the CPU base clock to 40 (default 35) for 4.0GHz.

Also the X.M.P. memory settings to Profile1.

Geekbench 3 (64bit) results:

4.0GHz, X.M.P.-profile1

single-core: 3602

multi-core: 13959

3.5GHz, X.M.P.-disabled

single-core: 3684

multi-core: 14947

Not enough of a difference to keep it overlocked for my purposes on a regular basis.  
Probably see less of a difference because I kept turbo boost enabled (upclocks to 3.9Ghz).

Others have stably overlocked to 4.3 and even 4.8GHz with increased performance returns, but with watercooling.

Hey Everybody!

I have been having some odd behaviors with my Quo board as of late and was wondering if anyone else had seen anything similar to it the following: 

1. The BIOS disk booting order will not allow me to make save changes to the booting order. To clarify, I can make edits to the drive booting order, but when you save the changes, the original boot order goes back to its original order. Yes, it's a minor annoyance as you can hit F12 upon booting, but I would prefer to boot OS X initially instead of having to do this every time. I thought I had this problem once, but cannot remember how I have fixed it in the past for the life of me. 

2. I am unable to edit access iMessage on the board. I was able to rig things together using Clover with one of my existing macs serial, UUID, etc. Whenever I have tried to make edits to the NVRAM data on a Vanilla install, the original values stay in place upon rebooting the system. I would prefer to keep things Vanilla as the system runs virtually flawless minus this problem. This could be user error on my part. Are there any guides or such to help out on these edits? 

3. I have lost the ability to run both the video cards on a single OS X boot. In System information, I can only see one or the other when I have a monitor plugged into the DP or DVI (for integrated) or either of the DVIs (for the dedicated video). This problem just recently appeared. I had the full ability to show video on both cards without trouble.

4. Motherboard boot image (Quo...one board, etc) would show up with a distorted image or nothing at all. This is a minor problem, but usually is a safe indication that things are booting correctly. Sometimes upon booting, things just hang up on a black screen and seeing the boot image usually means that things are going to boot correctly. Has anyone experienced odd boots like this?

In troubleshooting these problems, I have swapped out OZ BIOS versions and OS X versions (Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite), I have removed all of the hardware and testing things one at a time, swapped monitors to see if that made a difference, tried each of the combinations of video ports, and read most pages from this forum and other site postings. I was running a Thunderbolt display with the board, but got tired of the headaches of flakiness on the boards thunderbolt firmware version.

I have been working with this system for about a year now and have been very happy with the system minus a few hiccups. Sorry for the very long post. I did not see anything relating to many of the items I listed above in this thread, but I have missed something. I apologize if I missed a previous post relating to this. Thanks in advance for an help you can give me. People on this thread have been really great about helping others. 

Ok back on 10.10 with the web drivers and reboot is good...

NOW. I'd like to get my SMBios set back to iMac 13,2, as well as add the proper values to ROM and MLB to get iMessage working. The only thing is I'd like to do this via defaults.plist rather than NVRAM so the changes stick through bios flashes. I've seen a few things mentioned about the defaults.plist, in the EFI partition i think, but I'm having trouble finding specific posts on how to edit it. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Awesome, thanks King. In reading over that post, I have a few questions:

1) The post says that the folder structure should be created on the first HDD with GUID partitioning scheme. My boot drive is on disk1, but the folder structure was created on the EFI partition on disk2. Not sure if this is a problem or not.

2) I figured I could use the defaults.plist in the post as a template, and switch values from iMac14,2 to iMac13,2, but there are several values I have no clue about, such as BoardVersion, ChassisAssetTag, FirmwareFeatures, etc. I'm assuming I should leave them alone but figured I'd ask for sure.

3) I changed BaseBoardSerial and HardwareAddress to the MLB and ROM from my Macbook Pro. My understanding is this should help get iMessage working and shouldn't bother anything with the iMac13,2 SMBios values. Is that correct? Also it was mentioned I could change the ROM to my board's ETH0 MAC address value to permanently fix iMessage. Or should I use my wireless card's (ETH1) value since that's how I connect to my network?

4) The other two values I'm wondering about are ProcessorSerial and SystemSerial. Seems like they should be changed to match my setup/SMBios as well but thought I'd get clarification there.

I'm sure I'm missing other obvious things as well.