OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Hello,

like a lot of users here, I was expecting that the QUO-board will work completely OOB with the stock bios, but I got OSX to run with the Ozmosis H3A 828M bios.

The only problem is that I need to do several resets (kernel panics) until OSX loads, but then it seems to run stable.

I haven't installed the kexts for the internal audio chip, as I am using a Firewire audio-interface, I think that should not be the problem?

The internal graphics run fine, although no chance to get my EVGA Geforce GT 640 2GB card running, but that's not so important for me... All I want is getting rid of that kernel panics...

Here is a dump as well as a photo of the kernel panic message. I hope that anyone can help me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15917045/DarwinDumper.zip

Greetings,

Roland

• Put your full system specs in your signature.

• Ensure you have an error free copy of the BIOS.
    • Create a Firmware/Patch flash drive
      • Format a second flash drive FAT32 and label it firmware
      • Copy the latest firmware to the flash drive
      • Compare checksum for consistency. Open a terminal window and type the following (replace INSERTFIRMWARENAME.ROM with the actual filename). Compare the notes to the checksum provided.:

mds /Volumes/firmware/INSERTFIRMWARENAME.ROM
  • Remove non-essential components
    • Remove all non-essential components, including your desecrate graphics. System should be CPU, RAM, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, primary hard drive, and motherboard speaker (Front Panel Header). 
  • Re-Flash your firmware
    • Plug your firmware flash drive in
    • Start your computer and enter the BIOS using the del key
    • Select Q-Flash
    • Select the desired firmware
    • Upon completion, system should reboot twice
    • On the second startup, you should be presented with the built-in shell (Only if you followed the previous step and have not connected your hard drive.) At the shell prompt type the following to confirm your firmware flash was successful:

bdmesg -b
    • Now restart and enter the BIOS.
    • On startup, press the DELETE key to enter the BIOS. Do the only the following:
      • Restore Optimized Defaults
      • If you have 1600 memory modules, you may adjust the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) settings​
  • Patch Audio
    • Download PatchALC892 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrhqpr74e44etqc/PatchALC892.zip)
    • Unzip and place the PatchALC892 folder in the root of your install partition
    • Run the following in Terminal. Press enter after every line:

sudo -s
      cd /PatchALC892/109
      ./PatchALC892.sh

• Restart and confirm working audio. (Certain updates will overwrite the patched file. You will loose audio and will need to run the patch again.)
  • If you are still experiencing kernel panics, consider uninstalling all files related to your firewire audio, as well as those non-apple kexts that I see you have installed. If the KPs stop, then that is your problem.
  • Like 1

I say try take out the memory modules very strange {censored} can happen if you have a faulty one. Just happen to me one hour ago. I have been working on a rig for a friend for a couple of days and it worked ever so smooth when I been testdriving it. Same moment I put in the last screw in the side plates it broke, the computer would'nt boot at all the screen was black nothing. Took me 15 really sucky minutes to find out what was wrong so.... The odds for something like that would happen with that kind of timing pretty much is not gonna happen ever, but it did! Its really fast job pull one out at a time and test.

Can anyone help?  I' a n00b & have a Quo flashed to latest 823M BIOS but can't get sound or iMessage working...  Between the all the TonyMac - hate & all.  Is there any SIMPLE disrtuctions on how to get (ALL) working?  I have tried several time but will take any help I can get (incl TonyMac)  Seems like w/ Quo we fall in the grey area between Mac & PC VS EFI.  Any input woulbe be greatly apreciated!

Current stats:  Quo w/ i7 3770k internal graphics & can DarwinDump the Sh*t for ya, just wat to get this system 100% before I conquor the spinng beachball of death on similar (no matter what on install) GA-Z77xudh5th.  Can I use the same BIOS???

Issues:

Can anyone help?  I' a n00b & have a Quo flashed to latest 823M BIOS but can't get sound or iMessage working...  Between the all the TonyMac - hate & all.  Is there any SIMPLE disrtuctions on how to get (ALL) working?  I have tried several time but will take any help I can get (incl TonyMac)  Seems like w/ Quo we fall in the grey area between Mac & PC VS EFI.  Any input woulbe be greatly apreciated!

Current stats:  Quo w/ i7 3770k internal greaphics & can DarwinDump the Sh*t for ya, just wat to get this system 100% before I conquor the spinng beachball of death on similar (no matter what on install) GA-Z77X-UD5-TH.  Can I use the same (Osmosis or similar) BIOS???

Issues:

- No sound via builtin but fine w/ USB

- iMessage/iCloud/iDGAF

- Bluetooh via USB recomended IOgear flakey... Works but can BT audio share from iPhone like I can PC

- Ethernet

Works!

- TB eth

- TB HDMI

@DHassel, you should probably start with the wiki page:  http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS

It has a download link for the Audio update (the only driver you need to add for the motherboard itself) as well as instructions for what you need to do to make iMessage work (it involves setting a "BaseBoardSerial" of the appropriate length so it looks like an Apple machine).

Would greatly appreciate you spreading the news on G+, FB, Twitter.

We are working on a TB expansion chassis as well, stay tuned.

"Would greatly appreciate to get " my THE CONNECTED BY DEMAND: project Q with Kick starter

so please take a few minutes to delivery your first clients.

• Like 1

Hi all. Waiting for my order to reach my post box, but on the meanwhile I and doing my reading.

What is the best way to dual-boot or even triple-boot with this board?

I want to boot into OSX, Windows 8 and Ubuntu - yes, I have good reasons for these needs.

Anyone dual or triple booting with this board? Which approach you going on about it?

Hi all. Waiting for my order to reach my post box, but on the meanwhile I and doing my reading.

I want to boot into OSX, Windows 8 and Ubuntu - yes, I have good reasons for these needs.

Anyone dual or triple booting with this board? Which approach you going on about it?

Hi.

If u want a nice gui for selecting OS u can install refind.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

I try it on ozmosis and it work great.

I am doing a reinstall and I would like to do it under UEFI following "Lanceomni" instructions in post #856. I am having trouble because the bios H3A 828 does not give me a "UEFI:" header for the installation USB drive. I formatted the USB drive with GPT and Extended (Journaled) and used the script: 

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

to create the Mavericks installation USB.  When I boot and select F12 I only see "Install OS X Mavericks." and the default name of USB drive like "Kingston Traveller.." but nothing with a "UEFI:" header for the USB drive.  The hard drive I am going to use for the installation does show up both as "P0 Hard Drive Name" and "UEFI: Hard Drive Name" so I know I have UEFI enabled in the bios. When I am in the boot priority section of the bios there also seems to be no option for selecting a boot priority for "UEFI: USB" in the menu. I have done some internet searches but I can't find any solutions. Can someone please let me know what I am doing wrong?  Thanks.

Edited by electroshock

See post #856

I am doing a reinstall and I would like to do it under UEFI following "akindly" instructions in post #856. I am having trouble because the bios H3A 828 does not give me a "UEFI:" header for the installation USB drive. I formatted the USB drive with GPT and Extended (Journaled) and used the script: 

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

to create the Mavericks installation USB.  When I boot and select F12 I only see "Install OS X Mavericks." and the default name of USB drive like "Kingston Traveller.." but nothing with a "UEFI:" header for the USB drive.  The hard drive I am going to use for the installation does show up both as "P0 Hard Drive Name" and "UEFI: Hard Drive Name" so I know I have UEFI enabled in the bios. When I am in the boot priority section of the bios there also seems to be no option for selecting a boot priority for "UEFI: USB" in the menu. I have done some internet searches but I can't find any solutions. Can someone please let me know what I am doing wrong?  Thanks.

Consider only plugging in the hard drive you want to install to and the USB flash drive.

Reflash to 828 to clear settings,

enter BIOS and restore defaults,

check version from shell.

See post #856 for information on the aforementioned items.

Anyone else have an issue with 828 and the thunderbolt display?
I sometimes get it to work, then sometimes I'll have a bios crash, I come home to find the 'No Sign' white screen (I think somehow linked to a Maverick boot failure; still a work in progress.. Intel raid for windows disks.. was going to install AHCIPortInjector.kext for that) anyway, after the white screen of death, reboot and all I get is a black screen on the thunderbolt display.

Anyway, not to mirror what BBugs was saying, but does anyone else experience these random hiccups?

Anyone care to share their bios settings for the Thunderbolt display?
I've just been using the IGPU as enabled, and as the Int Display,
I also increased the bios wait time to 10 (and previously any setting from 4-9)

Right now I get an image on the display with the intel raid enabled, the raid bios screen comes up, then nothing; tried an HDMI connection both to the mainboard and the 680gtx video card.
if I reflash using Bios flashback (to stock bios) the display will not work, I typically use HDMI so i can flash 828, change the same settings and sometimes it'll work great. I'm sure there is one setting I'm missing that makes it temperamental.

I'll update my sig with my build specs soon,
Motherboard: Z77MX-QUO-AOS (828 bios)
CPU: I7 3770K
GPU: MSI 680 Lightning
Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator 1600C9
Case: Modded 2010 MacPro

Anyone else have an issue with 828 and the thunderbolt display?

I sometimes get it to work, then sometimes I'll have a bios crash, I come home to find the 'No Sign' white screen (I think somehow linked to a Maverick boot failure; still a work in progress.. Intel raid for windows disks.. was going to install AHCIPortInjector.kext for that) anyway, after the white screen of death, reboot and all I get is a black screen on the thunderbolt display.

Anyway, not to mirror what BBugs was saying, but does anyone else experience these random hiccups?

Anyone care to share their bios settings for the Thunderbolt display?
I've just been using the IGPU as enabled, and as the Int Display,

I also increased the bios wait time to 10 (and previously any setting from 4-9)

Right now I get an image on the display with the intel raid enabled, the raid bios screen comes up, then nothing; tried an HDMI connection both to the mainboard and the 680gtx video card.

if I reflash using Bios flashback (to stock bios) the display will not work, I typically use HDMI so i can flash 828, change the same settings and sometimes it'll work great. I'm sure there is one setting I'm missing that makes it temperamental.

I'll update my sig with my build specs soon,

Motherboard: Z77MX-QUO-AOS (828 bios)

CPU: I7 3770K

GPU: MSI 680 Lightning

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator 1600C9

Case: Modded 2010 MacPro

You cannout use Intel Raid with OS X.

You cannout use Intel Raid with OS X.

Yep, OS X is just a single drive; no Raid

I'm in the process of switching my windows disks to a single drive; then I'll get rid of the need for the Kext.

The display is my main issue; I know there are a magic combination of settings in the bios to make it work each and every time; Right now I just mess with what I know worked in the past; but still no go.

Cheers.

Yep, OS X is just a single drive; no Raid

I'm in the process of switching my windows disks to a single drive; then I'll get rid of the need for the Kext.

The display is my main issue; I know there are a magic combination of settings in the bios to make it work each and every time; Right now I just mess with what I know worked in the past; but still no go.

Cheers.

I have no idea in what "language"you are talking...

Anyway there is no magic combination for tunderbolt display. it was explained here several times, I don't get why people can easy remember the sh** from this topic(i.e, what BBugs was saying) but not the good stuff.

I will explain for the last time what is needed to set in BIOS:

Set BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only

See post #856

Consider only plugging in the hard drive you want to install to and the USB flash drive.

Reflash to 828 to clear settings,

enter BIOS and restore defaults,

check version from shell.

See post #856 for information on the aforementioned items.

Thanks Lanceomni, reflashing the 828 bios and F7 did the trick. Interesting the option that came up was "UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive" and this option only appeared when I had a second USB plugged in that contained the flash bios. With the OS X 10.9 installation USB plugged in alone the options were "Install Mavericks 10.9" and "P2: Kingston Travaller".  Plugging back in the second bios USB brought back the "UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive" option. Selecting this caused the bios to find and load the Mavericks installation USB drive. This maybe an issue limited to Kingston USB drives?  I only mention this in case someone else sees the same boot options. In any case OS X 10.9 loaded fine after hanging up at the "installation complete in about 1 second" message for about 20 mins. The UEFI installation now allows the computer to fully shutoff when pressing the power button before under Bios the computer would shut down but then reboot after a couple of seconds forcing me to shutoff the power supply.

When doing the Windows 7 installation should I unplug the OS X drive and boot using Windows PE to format the separate hard drive to the GPT format? I believe Windows PE will then allow me to load the Windows image file off the DVD.  I don't see a UEFI option for the DVD drive so I am thinking this may be the best way to proceed.

I also corrected my post above to correctly reference Lanceomni rather than akindly.for post #856.

Thanks Lanceomni, reflashing the 828 bios and F7 did the trick. Interesting the option that came up was "UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive" and this option only appeared when I had a second USB plugged in that contained the flash bios. With the OS X 10.9 installation USB plugged in alone the options were "Install Mavericks 10.9" and "P2: Kingston Travaller".  Plugging back in the second bios USB brought back the "UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive" option. Selecting this caused the bios to find and load the Mavericks installation USB drive. This maybe an issue limited to Kingston USB drives?  I only mention this in case someone else sees the same boot options. In any case OS X 10.9 loaded fine after hanging up at the "installation complete in about 1 second" message for about 20 mins. The UEFI installation now allows the computer to fully shutoff when pressing the power button before under Bios the computer would shut down but then reboot after a couple of seconds forcing me to shutoff the power supply.

When doing the Windows 7 installation should I unplug the OS X drive and boot using Windows PE to format the separate hard drive to the GPT format? I believe Windows PE will then allow me to load the Windows image file off the DVD.  I don't see a UEFI option for the DVD drive so I am thinking this may be the best way to proceed.

I also corrected my post above to correctly reference Lanceomni rather than akindly.for post #856.

I have no experience with Preinstallation Environment installs. I would consider researching "Windows PE UEFI" for how to install. Just make sure that the install steps do not format your drive, if same is OSX install.