OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Trash this OzmosisDefaults, AND DON'T PUT SOMETHING IN EFI PARTITION BECAUSE YOUR BOARD IS BUILD FOR THAT REASON!!

If light are orange it does mean that the card isn't defective, use CloverConfigurator to generate SMBios values, and copy paste them in an OzmosisDefaults opened with PlistEdit Pro, but first go to the Official Z77MX-QUO-AOS wiki page from here at insanelymac and download the needed ROM, extract it's OzmosisDefaults.plist using CodeRush UEFITool as Body and save it as OzmosisDefaults.plist, do the things said earlier and insert it after modifications using .Plist or .raw and go flash your MoBo!

Download an fresh Yosemite.app from the App Store, there are links that you can search over Google to download it again from the App Store.

But to be honest, install windows on another drive without the need of the second card, and see if it will work!

Don't go far if you have windows on the hand, at least it is useful for that problem!

• Like 1

Thank-you Ammoune78 and IronmanJFF for your replies!

I finally found an Win8 installation disk, removed all of my PCI(e) cards/hdrives, and installed Windows 8 and now my MB LAN port works! Much thanks for that advice as I’ve been futzing with this issue for at least a year!!!

I’m thinking at this point my best bet is to take my bios all the way back to the QUO original, make sure my LAN port is working, install Ozmosis from scratch then Yosemite so I can rebuild my DAW machine and make sure there’s no problems lurking in the background. Does this sound like a sound plan?

Best and thanks- Hopkins

Another couple of question if you don’t mind?

1). I have multiple “legal” copies and installation usb’s of Yosemite I’ve purchased and downloaded from the App Store for various Hackentoshes and Mac Minis’ I’ve built and purchased. Is there any reason to download another copy or am I ok using the installation usb that I already have?

2). Which of the current Ozmosis bios download and machine emulation should I use if my goal is using this machine as a basic DAW to run Pro Tools on? Not sure if that’s even a salient question to ask but thought I’d ask since I get a bit confused trying to sort out the various iterations. I know the MacPro 3, 1 is the default but wondering if I’d bee better served using a different machine definition for the smbios stuff in my default plist?

Again much thanks for the guidance!

modbin X-MASS ROM and use this OzmosisDefaults OzmosisDefaults.plist.zip and change it's Serial number or leave it as is, for the Yosemite, if you already purchased it, you'll find it at the purchased app from AppStore on your account, just click on download, no purchase needed! Because you have problem with this current Yosemite.app on your QUO, my point here is just to be clean without any lag, re-download it, and make an new clean USB Installer to be sure!

• Like 1

Hi again and FYI, I’m still working on getting my Quo MB back up and running and seem to making slow progress. So far:

1). I had problems on Thursday creating a new Yosemite installer usb on both of my Mac Mini’s; namely both of them were refusing to unmount the usb drives after completing the installer creation routine...I’m pretty sure this was a result of whatever updates Apple was pushing that day as yesterday the routine created/unmounted the installer media flawlessly.

2). I also kept running into lots of weird errors like being unable to mount installer, no numlock on keyboard and still no LAN port showing up under OS X. So I’ve replaced my keyboard, stripped the MB back to no cards, rechecked all connections, reset CMOS a couple of more times and I now have numlock back and can mount my the new installer drive I’d created. Part of me is wondering if I had a “funky” keyboard or maybee the MB was being “deformed” in such a way to cause a “shortish” type of error like the memory issues that can result from having tightened a couple of mounting screws too tightly?

3). My copy of Windows was pretty old and out of date so I bought a new copy of Windows 10 and installed it to make sure I had an uncorrupted/licensed version up and running to ensure my system was working and stable, etc.

So I think I’m ready to proceed with installing Yosemite now that I fixed after fixing a few bugs - although I have another question in terms of workflow:

In terms of Ozmosis creating the EFI partition on the 1st HD when you flash it into BIOS, does it get erased OS X installation process if/when you reformat your root disk before initiating the operating systems’ installation? IF SO, would you need to reflash your Oz BIOS between formatting your Root drive and OS installation? I might be “overthinking” or misunderstanding something and thought I’d better clarify...

Best and much thanks for all the help/directions getting this far - hopkins

Hi again and FYI, I’m still working on getting my Quo MB back up and running and seem to making slow progress. So far:

1). I had problems on Thursday creating a new Yosemite installer usb on both of my Mac Mini’s; namely both of them were refusing to unmount the usb drives after completing the installer creation routine...I’m pretty sure this was a result of whatever updates Apple was pushing that day as yesterday the routine created/unmounted the installer media flawlessly.

2). I also kept running into lots of weird errors like being unable to mount installer, no numlock on keyboard and still no LAN port showing up under OS X. So I’ve replaced my keyboard, stripped the MB back to no cards, rechecked all connections, reset CMOS a couple of more times and I now have numlock back and can mount my the new installer drive I’d created. Part of me is wondering if I had a “funky” keyboard or maybee the MB was being “deformed” in such a way to cause a “shortish” type of error like the memory issues that can result from having tightened a couple of mounting screws too tightly?

3). My copy of Windows was pretty old and out of date so I bought a new copy of Windows 10 and installed it to make sure I had an uncorrupted/licensed version up and running to ensure my system was working and stable, etc.

So I think I’m ready to proceed with installing Yosemite now that I fixed after fixing a few bugs - although I have another question in terms of workflow:

In terms of Ozmosis creating the EFI partition on the 1st HD when you flash it into BIOS, does it get erased OS X installation process if/when you reformat your root disk before initiating the operating systems’ installation? IF SO, would you need to reflash your Oz BIOS between formatting your Root drive and OS installation? I might be “overthinking” or misunderstanding something and thought I’d better clarify...

Best and much thanks for all the help/directions getting this far - hopkins

Ozmosis doesn't format the EFI partition, it simply create it's own folder on Efi\Oz\ and other subfolders, if you've formated the Drive from within the USB OS X Installer, and then flashed your board again, it will just create these Folders, no more than that! I didn't understood all of what you said but, as I told new fresh Yosemite should be appreciated, and checking if virus are, also before downloading the Installer from the App Store to prevent it from being corrupted!

As I said just forget the Efi partition if you don't put something there, another point of Windope, you can still activate your Windows 10 edition with the previous KEY from the previous Windows version 8 or 7 maybe Vista also, you don't need to buy another one, I've already tested it on other machines, and it still work if genuine KEY! 

• Like 1

Hi and thanks ammoune78 and apologies to all for the length of this post!  I did download fresh copies of Yosemite and created fresh USB installers with no results.  I think my old Window keys were used up in old machine that had been updated and, as my Microsoft instructor friend reminded me, it’s probably best to have an up-to-date copy in my library…

After no success and some more phenomenological digging; I finally came across a trace in this thread where King identifies an identical LAN oddity for skwakk, back on page 70…

1)  In #1388 (#1388) King traces thru skwakk’s DDump files and:

Found the error:

Jun 11 23:39:03 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: 0x1fad9eef, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::start - NVM Checksum incorrect

Jun 11 23:39:03 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: 0x1fad9eef, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::validateEEPROM - EEPROM checksum is incorrect

Jun 11 23:39:03 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: 0x1fad9eef, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::start - failed to validate EEPROM

Did you tried to play with LAN eeprom(flash/update)?

You need to fix LAN eeprom checksum, if you don't know how, I will try to put an easy way for you to do it, let me know…

So I did a DarwinDump and found the exact same error lines and 

2)  followed the directions he gave skywalk in #1390 (#1390

OK, I see you have windows so here is what you need to do:

1. Create bootable FAT32 DOS USB stick with http://rufus.akeo.ie/

2. Copy all files from attached zip on the stick

3. Make sure in BIOS Legacy boot is enabled!

4. Boot from USB stick(legacy not UEFI).

Once on DOS prompt type:

eeupdate /nic=1 /d lan.eep

This will write new LAN eeprom without changing existing MAC address, if you want to be pir8:

eeupdate /nic=1 /d lan.eep /MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX

Where XXXXXXXXXXXX will be your new MAC address at your choice

After this type celo then enter

If it pass all tests then you are good to go on OS X for test.

Have fun! (Attached file QLAN.zip)

3)  But I think my results were different than skwakk’s as initiating the initial eprom reprograming command line resulted in a “Cannot open image file” reply from FDos…

After rechecking my typing and getting the same reply, I gave the celo command and learned that my Nic failed the eeprom test.

4)  I thought maybee the tools in King’s QLAN.zip were old, downloaded their current iterations from Intel, copied on to both my old FDos usb and a brand new one made with current FDos version and still get the same results.

At this point I think I need to sort out how to implement using an ethernet card without the issue of not being able to log on to the App Store?  Any thoughts/directions appreciated…best (and apologies for any autocorrect “oddities”) - Hopkins

Make sure you have lan.eep in the root of usb stick as the eeupdate.exe and celo.exe, do not mess with the stick or files on osx, it is known to kill fat content especial if you opened/edited the lan.eep on osx.

I think there is now the efi version of eeupdate and celo, you can try to find those and do the checksum fix from built in UEFI Shell.

• Like 2

Much thanks for the response King! At the risk of sounding both green and inept, I did some quick Google rooting around EFX eeprom programs and I think it’s a preboot utility that I need? If so, does anyone know of or can point me towards the “best” guide for using it?

The other oddity that I’m not understanding is why my NIC shows up and works in Windows but not in OS X and what’s the underlying relationship between the two? I’m kinda getting to the edges of my formal knowledge/understandings and any direction most appreciated!

Best - hopkins

Does anybody remember the last/best bios version for Mavericks “off the top of their head”?

I think I remember starting to have NIC issues after moving on to Yosemite and I’m curious to see if it’ll show up under a “Mavericks” installation...best and thanks-hopkins

Jut go to the official Z77MX-QUO-AOS_wiki page, download the needed ROM file, you can use  the H3B.898M or the H3C.1479 or the H2N.OZ1669M, or eventually try the H3B.894M and do the steps from the post #1390, maybe it will work under this version, because the success said by skywalk was under the 894M seen on he's signature. Just try you have nothing to loose ^_^  :wink_anim:  

• Like 1

Hi and thanks to all for the suggestions/help…its’ greatly appreciated!  

As an update, I have to say its' been trip again exploring the phenomenology of the intel 82574L; this time however,  I came across something new; namely the acronym LOM (LAN on motherboard).  From what seems to be coming into relief it would seem that none of the tricks I’ve been finding about resetting my NIC apply as their only for off-board NIC’s which probably why I’m not getting anywhere…

Given that I’ve been trying to fix my problem off/on for a years or so, I’m thinking its’ time to move on and try an Apple USB or Thunderbolt NIC and see if that gets me anywhere…doubt that it will but seems like something to try.  If that doesn’t work, then its’ probably time to figure out how to set a non-LOM NIC so that I can access the App Store, etc., 

Last ditch effort would be using TonyMacx86 tools?

Best…hopkins

I don't want you to feel offended but I will recommend you to find a more skilled person that has the minimum experience to follow the guidelines I posted for eeprom flash.

From the message you received on dos prompt it is clearly that you are not doing it correctly.

• Like 1

Hi and thanks to all for the suggestions/help…its’ greatly appreciated!  

As an update, I have to say its' been trip again exploring the phenomenology of the intel 82574L; this time however,  I came across something new; namely the acronym LOM (LAN on motherboard).  From what seems to be coming into relief it would seem that none of the tricks I’ve been finding about resetting my NIC apply as their only for off-board NIC’s which probably why I’m not getting anywhere…

Given that I’ve been trying to fix my problem off/on for a years or so, I’m thinking its’ time to move on and try an Apple USB or Thunderbolt NIC and see if that gets me anywhere…doubt that it will but seems like something to try.  If that doesn’t work, then its’ probably time to figure out how to set a non-LOM NIC so that I can access the App Store, etc., 

Last ditch effort would be using TonyMacx86 tools?

Best…hopkins

I made a guide specifically for this NIC just a week ago. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/332821-intel-82574l/

• Like 1

Hi and thanks for replies and thanks for kind answers and no offense taken as I am at the ends of my formal knowledge and any directions at this point...

If I’m understanding Pavo’s direction correctly, I should be using the Clover installer to fix my weirded-out LOM NIC and get things back on track?

Best...hopkins

@Pavo I have no idea why you scratch your back with a hammer...

The eeprom flashing guide is a permanent solution to change MAC address or fix checksum, that is @ Heideana problem or... change device ID of the NIC, hope you don't think Apple use special 82574L chip....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have issues opening up the Realtek HD Audio Manager after updating the drivers? I use to be able to access the panel, but now I can't and i'm unable to adjust anything. Are their specific drivers I need for this QUO in order for the onboard audio to work properly? Windows 10...

EDIT: Got it working by reverting back to 2.80 from 2.82

Edited by dwdrummer0

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dwdrummer0 said:

Was this needed to update? Just curious because I will be updating soon.  Thx!

For iMac13 SysDef

<key>BiosDate</key>
		<string>02/03/2018</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>IM131.88Z.0114.B00.1802030048</string>

Edited by IronManJFF