OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Okay, todays progress is as goes:

· Prep High Sierra USB

· Prep Defaults.plist file from original template.

· Move boot SSD to correct SATA port for it to be the first hard drive

· Place Defaults.plist file in EFI partition

· Reset BIOS "CMD + OPTION + P + R"

· Attempt to boot from SSD just in case it works (result is NO post and system boot loop)

· Attempt to boot from USB (same result, NO post and system boot loop

Why can't hackintoshes (or hackintoshs [what is the plural of hackintosh?? :worried_anim:]) just work?!

Is that installer 10.13.4? If so, maybe you'll not be able to boot from until placing some boot files on the root!

5ad23ab4e6946_USBBootFiles.png.631ea70bd7b776408fed8b050f65c033.png

Edited by ammoune78

21 hours ago, ammoune78 said:

Is that installer 10.13.4? If so, maybe you'll not be able to boot from until placing some boot files on the root!

5ad23ab4e6946_USBBootFiles.png.631ea70bd7b776408fed8b050f65c033.png

No, it's the 10.13.0 installer, I tested it on a friend's MacBook and the USB works...

2 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

If it does not POST, Reset CMOS

Hehe... :whistle: So, it seems that I must have messed something in the BIOS, because I tried without the RAID and it didn't post, so I reset the BIOS to default configuration and I got a post! :yes:

So now, I have to get a proper Defaults.plist file to work because the one I have doesn't see to be at the moment...

On 4/15/2018 at 8:53 PM, ammoune78 said:

iMac 13,2 Defaults.plist with working FirmwareFeatures & FirmwareFeaturesMask, just change SMBios values with yours

Defaults.plist

OH MY GOD, I feel stupid...

Basically, this whole time I have tried reinstalling using about 6 different USB drives, but (and please forgive me for this.... :blush:), I only used them on one port (my case's USB port :unsure:) which didn't work.

*Thanks for the default.plist file by the way @ammoune78!!*

But thats in the past now, I have installed macOS 10.13 without erasing my data (applications, extensions, and configuration...), but now I am confronted with 2 problems:

· I have no audio (grayed-out speaker symbol), which I have tried to fix with a kext patch, but no luck (could it have something to do with the Defaults file??). :unsure:

· I attempted to update to 10.13.14 again... And I'm stuck, it just won't have it:angry: 

Here's the Defaults.plist file that I'm using, just without serials:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
        <integer>23461898</integer>
        <key>BootEntryTemplate</key>
        <string>$label</string>
        <key>DarwinCoreStorageTemplate</key>
        <string>$label</string>
        <key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>
        <string>$label</string>
        <key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>
        <string>$label ($platform.$major.$minor)</string>
        <key>DisableAtiInjection</key>
        <true/>
        <key>DisableIntelInjection</key>
        <false/>
        <key>DisableNvidaInjection</key>
        <false/>
        <key>DisableVoodooHda</key>
        <true/>
        <key>LinuxDiskOptionTemplate</key>
        <string>initrd=$initfs root=UUID=$uuid ro</string>
        <key>LinuxDiskTemplate</key>
        <string>$label $build</string>
        <key>LinuxRescueDiskTemplate</key>
        <string>$label Rescue</string>
        <key>LinuxRescueOptionTemplate</key>
        <string>initrd=$initfs root=UUID=$uuid ro</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BaseBoardAssetTag</key>
        <string>Base Board Asset Tag#</string>
        <key>BaseBoardSerial</key>
        <string>*****************</string>
        <key>BiosDate</key>
        <string>02/03/2018</string>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>IM131.88Z.0114.B00.1802030048</string>
        <key>BoardType</key>
        <integer>10</integer>
        <key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
        <string>iMac-Aluminum</string>
        <key>EnclosureType</key>
        <integer>13</integer>
        <key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
        <integer>938803680</integer>
        <key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
        <integer>939459552</integer>
        <key>FirmwareVendor</key>
        <string>Apple</string>
        <key>HardwareAddress</key>
        <string>AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF</string>
        <key>Manufacturer</key>
        <string>Apple Inc.</string>
        <key>ProductFamily</key>
        <string>iMac</string>
        <key>ProductId</key>
        <string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>iMac13,2</string>
        <key>SystemSKU</key>
        <string>System SKU#</string>
        <key>SystemSerial</key>
        <string>************</string>
        <key>SystemVersion</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
    <dict>
        <key>boot-args</key>
        <string>nvda_drv=0 npci=0x2000</string>
        <key>csr-active-config</key>
        <integer>127</integer>
    </dict>
    <key>Timestamp</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>Version</key>
    <string>1.0.1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I don't get why people keep using those insanely long Defaults.plist file on a QUO board

All you need is (adjust for Serial Number and Graphics Card) 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Version</key>
	<string>1.0.1</string>
	<key>Date</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosDate</key>
		<string>02/03/2018</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>IM131.88Z.0114.B00.1802030048</string>
		<key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
		<integer>0xE00DE137</integer>
		<key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
		<integer>0xFF1FFF3F</integer>
		<key>ProductId</key>
		<string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>
		<key>ProductFamily</key>
		<string>iMac</string>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>iMac13,2</string>
		<key>SystemSerial</key>
		<string>INSERT SERIAL NUMBER</string>
		<key>BaseBoardSerial</key>
		<string>INSERT SERIAL NUMBER + 5 DIGITS</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
	<dict>
		<key>boot-args</key>
		<string>-v nvda_drv=1</string>
		<key>csr-active-config</key>
		<integer>103</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>
	<dict>
                <key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>
                <true/> 
		<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>
		<string>$label</string>
		<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>
		<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
		<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>
		<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

14 minutes ago, Casm101 said:

OH MY GOD, I feel stupid...

· I have no audio (grayed-out speaker symbol), which I have tried to fix with a kext patch, but no luck (could it have something to do with the Defaults file??). :unsure:

You had disabled it ...

<key>DisableVoodooHda</key>
		<true/>

Edited by IronManJFF
  • Like 1

Updated BIOS Image with APFS.EFI from 10.13.4 embedded (not required to install 10.13.4 but just to keep things tidy)

Note: I haven't tested the ROM image (I just replaced the APFS module in a working and tested image) because I am on pager duty atm and need a working computer just in case ...

10.13.4 QUO ROM Image

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Updated BIOS Image with APFS.EFI from 10.13.4 embedded (not required to install 10.13.4 but just to keep things tidy)

Note: I haven't tested the ROM image (I just replaced the APFS module in a working and tested image) because I am on pager duty atm and need a working computer just in case ...

10.13.4 QUO ROM Image

Thanks IronManJFF, 

The long Defaults.plist that ammoune78, was just to test if I could update to 10.13.4 without messing around to much, but didn't work to well. I hadn't realised that it had HDA disabled, I didn't really think to look either.

The new ROM you uploaded, I have flashed and seems to work just fine, although I'm a bit weary as to attempting the update, so I will do so tomorrow.

Also, rather than booting and seeing the kernel debugging, I see the normal Apple logo, but it takes forever to boot (maybe up to 5 minutes long on boot), I'll time it next time I boot

Anyways, I just can't wait to see what kind of "fun" lies ahead of us once 10.14 comes out later this year.... 

Sorry for that long Defaults.plist because i uploaded it for help, but i use it on my machines, and it work well, and i forgot the point of QUO, doesn't need some lines to be added 

12 minutes ago, Casm101 said:

Also, rather than booting and seeing the kernel debugging, I see the normal Apple logo, but it takes forever to boot (maybe up to 5 minutes long on boot), I'll time it next time I boot

Add -v to boot-args in Defaults.plist

13 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Sorry for that long Defaults.plist because i uploaded it for help, but i use it on my machines, and it work well, and i forgot the point of QUO, doesn't need some lines to be added 

No worries, it got my machine running, which is great by my standards! 

8 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

Ok, I'll do that now...

And man are you guys fast to answer!! 

18 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

Ok, this got rid of the Apple logo (not quite sure but -v is verbose mode, isn't it?), but it still took a while, although I was able to see that is was waiting because it couldn't find the AppleALC.kext (it looped 3 times, so 3 minutes waiting for the kext), then it dismissed it, and booted.

Can I replace the .kext file using kext wizard or something like that?

On 2018-04-16 at 6:09 PM, Casm101 said:

Don't know what you did there but you should not have done whatever you did ....

-v = Verbose

3 hours ago, Casm101 said:

Ok, this got rid of the Apple logo (not quite sure but -v is verbose mode, isn't it?), but it still took a while, although I was able to see that is was waiting because it couldn't find the AppleALC.kext (it looped 3 times, so 3 minutes waiting for the kext), then it dismissed it, and booted.

Can I replace the .kext file using kext wizard or something like that?

Remove AppleALC.kext from S/L/E or from ROM or from efi partition, you should only have VoodooHdaKext.ffs in the ROM or keep AppleALC in S/L/E or EFI partition or ROM and remove VoodooHdaKext.ffs from ROM!

In the case of ALC892 from either QUO or another board, it can be played from rom or hard drive by VoodooHdaKext or AppleALC or AppleHDA!

It's only a user preference

And by the way, as it seems that Intel CPU vulnerability, the image itself need to be updated for self security and without forgetting the OROM's, FakeSMC, the SMC it self according to the date in SMBios for the Mac version emulated 

Edited by ammoune78

Unfortunately, had a similar problem that one of the other users was having while updating to 10.13.4. Did those changes for defaults, NVRAM reset and got the error in the attached picture. Also used your new bios IronMan and NVRAM reset and still the same error. I knew what I was getting myself into and realized that the update may not work. 

Don't need my machine till Wednesday so either or, will get this working somehow or revert back to 10.13.3!

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: also tried restoring optimized defaults in BIOS with no luck

EDIT 2: oddly enough, I can boot into the 10.13.4 Recovery mode but still no go for main OS

EDIT 3 : Removed Sony Kext and still have the issue but now its just freezing at HID:Legacy shim 2

error.jpg

Edited by dwdrummer0

My system stops for about 30-40secs after about a dozen HID: Legacy shim 2 msgs - then it continues and finishes the boot. Is it worth leaving it for a few minutes when it stops?

Or is there an SSDT lurking around on the EFI partition? Try unplugging all but necessary USB devices?

Edited by ntsmkfob
Added info

5 minutes ago, ntsmkfob said:

My system stops for about 30-40secs after about a dozen HID: Legacy shim 2 msgs - then it continues and finishes the boot. Is it worth leaving it for a few minutes when it stops?

I wish that was the case but even if it was, it really shouldn't take that long to boot. I tried leaving it for 3-4 min and still only those 2 HID messages. Tried reverting back to 10.13.3 with a reinstall and my drive was converted to APFS so now I have to do a full restore after changing the volume back to HFS+. I just forgot that the reinstall would convert to APFS...

Edited by dwdrummer0

I'm having trouble booting into a clean High Sierra installation. (SATA SSD connected via USB3)

The apple logo appears with the progress bar then disappears and stops at a gray screen with the mouse cursor working but no setup screen to setup a new user. (clean install)

I installed High Sierra using the install app downloaded from the app store (10.13.4)

While booted into 10.12.6 on the internal SATA - I launched the High Sierra install app and had it install to the external SSD connected via USB3.

I'm using the ROM file posted by IronManJFF most recently and am using the Defaults.plist (iMac 13,2) that IronManJFF also most recently posted with the "nvda_drv=1" removed from the boot args and my serial number and BBS inserted. The defaults.plist is the same on the EFI partition for the sierra drive and the high sierra drive.

I verified that the Boot ROM Version is the same as what is specified in the defaults.plist (Sierra System Information)

Specs are: i5-3570K, 16GB DDR3, No PCIE cards (monitor 1080p connected to MB HDMI)

(specs below are out of date as I haven't figure out how to change them on this new message board)

Sierra continues to work fine, through multiple Cmd-Opt-PR and CMOS resets but High Sierra fails to show any windows or menu bar.

Any help would be appreciated in getting this High Sierra installation working. Thanks

Also, I apologize if this problem has been addressed before as this new message board isn't loading previous pages for me.

Edited by yoyostring