OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Success .. Clean Install High Sierra Oz only on external SSD (no APFS conversion) with iMac 13,2 and Nvidia Web Drivers.

More testing needed like testing an upgrade from 10.12.6

Are you using the current sierra rom/defaults.plist?

The install seems easy with this guide but not sure if that works without clover, after reviewing it doesn't seem to be a clover specific guide.

Just google search:

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

Embedded APFS in ROM and made adjustments in Defaults.plist (I don't Clover).

Simplest way to avoid APFS conversion is to put your drive in an external enclosure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like Apple has removed Ivy Bridge native power managment from the HS Kernel ... Had to remove my SSDT from EFI when using HS.

• Like 1

Embedded APFS in ROM and made adjustments in Defaults.plist (I don't Clover).

Simplest way to avoid APFS conversion is to put your drive in an external enclosure.

Looks like Apple has removed Ivy Bridge native power managment from the HS Kernel ... Had to remove my SSDT from EFI when using HS.

When you get a chance can you share those files? So you had a CPU SSDT in your EFI for when you had Sierra installed and had to remove it for HS if so what currently handles the CPU PM? The SSDT I mentioned above was to add the EC device so the USB Bus Power properties is handled correctly. Not sure why EC is not in the DSDT rom module, it needs to be there to support the Apple USB Bus Power Controller to work correctly in Sierra and High Sierra on real macs as well.

Ivy Bridge power managment is handled by X86PlatformPlugin.kext, plugin-type injection was included in my SSDT. I had to remove my SSDT because X86PlatformPlugin.kext hangs on High Sierra (Everything was working up to HS DP9 included). I would be curious to know if it is even loaded on a real Ivy Bridge iMac with High Sierra.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi IronMan, i would use this pc for daw and video 4k. Is possible with this Quo ?  thank you 

If your going to use the computer for those 2 things and not game, Id go with an R9 280x or higher. Whatever is compatible now. You will be able to edit 4k no problem if your using FCPX. 

If your going to use the computer for those 2 things and not game, Id go with an R9 280x or higher. Whatever is compatible now. You will be able to edit 4k no problem if your using FCPX. 

Higher version ? Please write a example because not have knowledge about new version of Ati VGA.

Occur a reference version or a standard version ? 

Higher version ? Please write a example because not have knowledge about new version of Ati VGA.

Occur a reference version or a standard version ? 

Well there are 380's 380x's RX460s all the way up to 480s. To be honest, Id stick with the R9 280x. You can pick them up for super cheap and its plenty fast enough when I was editing 4K in FCPX (1-2 layers). You can pick them up for $100 or less now. I had the Asus R9 280x and it was plug and play. 

Hey I have a quick question.

My work has a QUO that thanks to IronManJFF is running El Capitan. We use it as a Premiere Pro editing workstation, but it has started having serious USB issues. Mouse clicks are not registering well at all using different mice or even a Wacom tablet. And especially right clicks often don't work. I have tried different USB ports, the USB 2 and USB 3 ports in the back and the the USB 2.0 panel on the top of the machine all seem to have the issue. Strangely USB 3 drives seem to work alright. I am able to run media off them and copy files to and from them no problem.

I am working at home today on my 5,1 MacPro and just noticing how nice it is to have fully working USB ports, so I really need to get this fixed.

I am going to try taking the machine apart and really blowing some air in their and cleaning it to see if maybe that will help.

And then I was thinking I could run an ethernet cable to the modem (have to drill a hole through a wall is why I haven't done it before) and remove the WIFI card and maybe put in a USB 3.0 PCI Express x 1 card and see if USB will run well off that. I am assuming I would need something like the Sonnet Allego to have it just plug and play.

Does anyone have any suggestions or does this sound like a plan?

Have you recently added some new usb bus powered devices .. Maybe you a simply requesting too much current from the USB bus ...

Other things you can try : Clear NVRAM, revome files in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

If you remove the Wacom tablet .. Do you still have issues with the mouse right-click and vice-versa ?

Sure it is :D

Boot into the build in Shell and use the 

bfcg boot add 

command to manually add an entry for HighSierra on APFS Volumes. Just make sure you find the correct volume by browsing your volumes with the FS Command. Once the correct Volume was found remember it´s identifier and complete your bfcg command with the required information. For example if your installation is on FS1 then just type

bcfg boot add 1 fs1:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "macOS"

after the boot Entry has successfully been added you may trigger a reboot and your HighSierra Installation should show up in your boot menu or OZ Gui.

• Like 1

bfcg boot add 

command to manually add an entry for HighSierra on APFS Volumes. Just make sure you find the correct volume by browsing your volumes with the FS Command. Once the correct Volume was found remember it´s identifier and complete your bfcg command with the required information. For example if your installation is on FS1 then just type

after the boot Entry has successfully been added you may trigger a reboot and your HighSierra Installation should show up in your boot menu or OZ Gui.

Interesting!  Last time I checked, it wasn't possible yet. Great! With these commands, are you able to do an install of Sierra? I think IronManJFF was saying something about having to install by using a external HD enclosure to bypass APFS. I think we still cannot boot APSF, right?

bfcg boot add 

This method supposed to make it work cause i tried it with adding Linux boot entry before i knew it could be possible to add the extfs as guided by The King But it doesn't work with apfs mac drive, it tell me cannot find file, also to let you know, I've embedded the apfs.ffs file into rom, and tried with loading the driver from disk that was pointed by crusher82 still no go, the only method that works is going to fsx and load the file manually by typing  

System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
this way the system will load and then i have to go to the control panel and startup and choose mac disk and reboot, I use the shell from latest Clover installed on a external USB disk.

@Tusskan you're right if you just use one instance of HighSierra and do not wish to add any other boot entries such like the recovery partition SystemSettings -> Startup Disk is by far the easiest way to do it and it will work nicely. If you need to add more than just this entry or like to add a more customised entry as macOS then the EFI Shell is a pretty handy tool to do it. To make it work APFS.ffs of course has to be part of your custom rom but once this is done you may proceed. Here is how I did it:

The only thing you have to do is find the right the location of boot.efi inside the APFS Container. Diskutil (the terminal command) is handy for that. Open up a terminal an type diskutil list you'll get something like that as the result

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         499.9 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +499.9 GB   disk2
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume Sierra                  325.4 GB   disk2s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 19.0 MB    disk2s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                523.3 MB   disk2s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      2.1 GB     disk2s4

As you see there is a physical Disk (Disk0) which holds the EFI Partition as well as the APFS Container and there ist a virtual (synthesized) Disk (disk2) which represents the the content of the APFS Container located on the first physical Disk. To add a boot entry via EFI shell all you need to know is the partition UUID of your OS Partition inside the APFS Container. To get the needed Information just type

diskutil info disk2s1 | grep "Partition UUID"

where disk2s1 of course has to be replaced with your Identifier. The command should bring up something like that:

diskutil info disk2s1 | grep "Partition UUID"
Disk / Partition UUID:    3C199D35-CB13-3164-9BF0-22821813CB91

Write down the UUID or remember it since we'll need it for the next step (This can also be done for the recovery Partition as well).

Now reboot your maschine into the build in Hermit Shell (or a different shell) and browse the available filesystems (use the fsX: and ls command where X has to be replaced by any number) until you find the one which holds a single folder that is named like the UUID you wrote down before. This filesystem represents the Filesystem which holds your HighSierra installation inside the APFS container (in my case it was fs3). Finally to add the boot entry type 

bcfg boot add 1 fs3:\3C199D35-CB13-3164-9BF0-22821813CB91\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "HighSierra"

where fs3 has to be replaced by your finding and that's it you're done. The created entry will last until you reset your NVRAM and of course it can be done that way for the recovery Partition as well. 

So I had some downtime and wanted to give myself a challenge so I went ahead and installed High Sierra on another partition. Basically, I was able to make a clean install on a real mac then install the drives I need (Nvidia, Apogee). Then I did a Carbon Copy Cloner of that partition and transferred that partition over to a new partition on my Hackintosh keeping the Mac OSX Extended Journaled file system intact (No APFS conversion). After restarting, I was able to boot the volume but I am receiving some errors. First one is "busy timeout (0),  (60s): AppleACPICPU" and then after that, I get a "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, Sm 0x0". Maybe something to do with my Defaults Plst or FakeSMC?

Anyone have any suggestions? 

Thank you!

Is there anything special that needs to be done when upgrading from 10.13.0 to 10.13.1?   I just run this command by Rehabman to avoid APFS conversion before I upgraded from 10.12.6 to 10.13.0.  Just not sure what else I may need to do before upgrading to 10.13.1?  There were reports from machines using Clover that the installer did not see certain files or some error messages occured.  Not sure if this will be the case for Osmosis boot loader?

/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense 

Thanks

Edited:

Per IronManJFF's post, I removed the SSD placed it into SATA to USB converter cable (StarTech product USB3S2SAT3CB), installed the update no problems.  The code above is only good on the full install downloaded from the app store so you have to upgrade before Apple lets you download the full version.

Have you recently added some new usb bus powered devices .. Maybe you a simply requesting too much current from the USB bus ...

Other things you can try : Clear NVRAM, revome files in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkIf you remove the Wacom tablet .. Do you still have issues with the mouse right-click and vice-versa ?

I tried zapping PRAM, but now it is booting directly to the EFI shell. I can hold down option and get to the system selector, but when i try and start from my hard drive, the system just shuts down. The same thing if I try for the recovery partition, or if i directly try and boot from the bios options.

I tried plugging in a backup system via USB 3, but the same thing happens. When I try and start from it the system just shuts down after the screen going black for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas. The system will not boot at all now.

The system is running El Capitan with the following defaults plist. It was working except the usb issues until i trued zapping the pram.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Version</key>

<string>1.0.1</string>

<key>Date</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>

<dict>

<key>boot-args</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>csr-active-config</key>

<integer>103</integer>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>

<dict>

<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>

<true/>

<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>

<string>$label</string>

<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>

<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>

<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

post-1089344-0-23222600-1510008091_thumb.jpeg

I've established that I can do a fresh install of 10.13.1 to a USB drive, using a real Macmini, and it runs on the Quo without problem. I've removed IronmanJFF's SSDT, although it did boot OK once prior to removing it and I believe I have the right firmware info in my Defaults.plist (attached). I can't get past the firmware error if I try to update 10.12.6, though and feel I need to be able to do this before moving my working system to HS. Has anyone managed to do an update as yet?

Defaults.plist.zip

I tried zapping PRAM, but now it is booting directly to the EFI shell. I can hold down option and get to the system selector, but when i try and start from my hard drive, the system just shuts down. The same thing if I try for the recovery partition, or if i directly try and boot from the bios options.

I tried plugging in a backup system via USB 3, but the same thing happens. When I try and start from it the system just shuts down after the screen going black for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas. The system will not boot at all now.

The system is running El Capitan with the following defaults plist. It was working except the usb issues until i trued zapping the pram.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Version</key>

<string>1.0.1</string>

<key>Date</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>

<dict>

<key>boot-args</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>csr-active-config</key>

<integer>103</integer>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>

<dict>

<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>

<true/>

<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>

<string>$label</string>

<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>

<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

What is the last thing you see when you try to boot the system ?

Sorry I am very late , @work been crazy lately

I've established that I can do a fresh install of 10.13.1 to a USB drive, using a real Macmini, and it runs on the Quo without problem. I've removed IronmanJFF's SSDT, although it did boot OK once prior to removing it and I believe I have the right firmware info in my Defaults.plist (attached). I can't get past the firmware error if I try to update 10.12.6, though and feel I need to be able to do this before moving my working system to HS. Has anyone managed to do an update as yet?

attachicon.gifDefaults.plist.zip

You can try these values, they work for iMac13,2 ... don't know if they will for MacMini

<key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
<integer>0xE907F537</integer>
<key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>

<integer>0xFFFFFFFF</integer>