OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I cleared the NVRam but that didn't do it.  I guess I should go back through the forum and try some different versions of the Bios. 

Your SATA lead for the boot disk needs to be in port 0 on the motherboard. If you look at the edge of the MB towards the SATA ports, that is the bottom right port. Anywhere else will not find your Defaults.plist in EFI/EFI/Oz when you do  Command Option P R. 

Hey Iron Man, thanks a lot for your help so far, so I installed your bios and I updated my Defaults.plist accordingly:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Version</key>

<string>1.0.1</string>

<key>Date</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>

<dict>

<key>BiosVersion</key>

<string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459</string>

<key>ProductId</key>

<string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>

<key>ProductFamily</key>

<string>iMac</string>

<key>ProductName</key>

<string>iMac13,2</string>

<key>SystemSerial</key>

<string>F5KLA770F9VM</string>

<key>BaseBoardSerial</key>

<string>F5KLA770F9VM12345</string>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>

<dict>

<key>boot-args</key>

<string>-v nvda_drv=1</string>

<key>csr-active-config</key>

<integer>103</integer>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>

<dict>

<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>

<string>$label</string>

<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>

<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>

<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>

<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>

<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

But when I restart the computer and do the NVRAM reset it just doesn't seem to take into account the Defaults.plist

Try this one 

Defaults.plist.zip

Your SATA lead for the boot disk needs to be in port 0 on the motherboard. If you look at the edge of the MB towards the SATA ports, that is the bottom right port. Anywhere else will not find your Defaults.plist in EFI/EFI/Oz when you do  Command Option P R. 

It was indeed the port that was causing the issue, my bad for not paying more attention in the other mentions of this in the thread. Going through the Sierra upgrade as I'm typing this ;)

Thanks IronMan and Ntsmkfob for your help on this!

It was indeed the port that was causing the issue, my bad for not paying more attention in the other mentions of this in the thread. Going through the Sierra upgrade as I'm typing this ;)

Thanks IronMan and Ntsmkfob for your help on this!

So now that the upgrade to 10.12 is complete I'm running into a new issue... upgrade to 10.12.4 ....

Indeed to be able to use my new GTX 1080 I need the new nvidia rivers that are only compatible with 10.12.4

So I downloaded the upgrade package for 10.12.4 but when I try to run it on my OS hard drive it says "macOs Sierra Update can't be installed on this disk.This volume doesn't not meet the requirements for this updated." And yet there is more than 50GB room on this drive so I'm a bit confused as what is the issue with my drive that prevents the upgrade.

Thanks for any help

So now that the upgrade to 10.12 is complete I'm running into a new issue... upgrade to 10.12.4 ....

Indeed to be able to use my new GTX 1080 I need the new nvidia rivers that are only compatible with 10.12.4

So I downloaded the upgrade package for 10.12.4 but when I try to run it on my OS hard drive it says "macOs Sierra Update can't be installed on this disk.This volume doesn't not meet the requirements for this updated." And yet there is more than 50GB room on this drive so I'm a bit confused as what is the issue with my drive that prevents the upgrade.

Thanks for any help

If you downloaded Sierra recently you should be at 10.12.5 .. And nvidia web drivers are available.

Maybe you should ask ElvieJo ...or post the BIOS you used cause i cannot guess what is in it

Thanks Ironman, sorry for not responding too I had to go out all day yesterday and most of today but back hacking away at this now and I am still very grateful for the help.  

The Bios version that is says I am using is Z77MX.QUO.AOS.H20.1512242359 The .rom file is Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.ROM last edited on january 27th 2017.   I put it on my dropbox here https://www.dropbox.com/s/rexfxj07070yg2w/Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.SIERRA.ROM?dl=0

A dumb question, what is it that i would need to find out from Elvie Jo?  basically what graphics card his Custom BIOS is set to use right?  It seems odd to me that this BIOS would work fine with my current build up until 10.12.5 and then stop working if the issue was just that this custom Bios was not created for a GTX.  I looked at the info for the latest Nvidia web drivers and it says that they are for various Imacs and Macpros but not macminis, is that what you are getting at?  Do I need to make my computer believe it is a macpro?  Anyway thank you once again for your help.  

HALLLELUJAH!!! So after a {censored} ton of extremely painful learning today I figured out what a defaults.plist was.  I was getting stumped because i couldn't find one on my computer but eventually i figured out that it doesn't actually exist on your computer and is a version of the com.apple.boot.plist that is added to the EFI partition.  Got download dumper, and Clover configurator.  Figured out I didn't need Clover but it did show me how to find the EFI partition.  Then I just took the Defaults.plist that IronmannJFF gave to Aparis put it in the OZ folder, cleared the NVRAM AND I'M BACK IN BUSINESS!!! I guess that was the trick.  The Nividia web drivers couldn't work because my computer thought it was a mac mini and the drivers are not compatible with mac mini.  Thank You Iron man for laying out the clues and tolerating my ignorance and providing that Defaults.plist.  I know this is probably pretty weak to everyone else here but i am pretty pleased with myself for getting to the bottom of this.  I now understand how this whole hackintosh thing works in a way that I never did before.  And not a moment to soon because i have a ton of work to catch up on.  So thanks again to Ironman JFF and everyone else here for making this possible.  Next i want to learn how to switch back and forth between windows and Mac OS but that will be a project for another day.  

If you downloaded Sierra recently you should be at 10.12.5 .. And nvidia web drivers are available.

So the combo update did the trick. I now have a 1080 running smoothly in Sierra with the Cuda mode activated. This is simply awesome! So much faster than the equivalent on PC!

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working from my previous build in Capitan is the audio that for some reason is not available at all and the front USB ports.

Do you guys know if there is some specific kernel I should play with to get these two back to working in Sierra?

Thanks

Front USB port .. Are they USB 2 ? If so connect to F_USB3 on the motherboard (why ? Read page 138 - 139)

Audio from the built-in port or from the GTX ?

What does it show in Sound control panel ?

Yes, USB 2, they are connected to the QUO OSX motherboard USB port that the most further to the right when looking at this side of the board.

For the sound I was able to get it to work after messing with the Audio Preferences (I had a Matrox Audio device installed in the system that seemed to have overtaken the preferences but I deactivated it and the regular audio options were back on).

Yes, USB 2, they are connected to the QUO OSX motherboard USB port that the most further to the right when looking at this side of the board.

For the sound I was able to get it to work after messing with the Audio Preferences (I had a Matrox Audio device installed in the system that seemed to have overtaken the preferences but I deactivated it and the regular audio options were back on).

connect your Front USB ports to F_USB3 right next to the PCIEX8 slot

Headers.png

I would do a pico/nano itx with 8/16 core xeon and 128GB of RAM, question is who pay for effort?

In all seriousness, I would def pay for one. But I could understand how it wouldn't be profitable on a large scale given the time and effort put into it.

ME! PM me if you are even a little bit serious

g\

In all seriousness, I would def pay for one. But I could understand how it wouldn't be profitable on a large scale given the time and effort put into it.

Usualy I am very serious, I was thinking on a sandwich design, CPU + Thunderbolt on top board, ram board on middle and motherboard down, such small design will require external thunderbolt graphics card...

I was not talking about who will buy such board, I know there are many who dream about such thing, but for who will pay the manufacturer costs, they are not cheap and they talk with you from 1k pcs (at best) and up, so do the math and figure the amount....

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Any1 try this one?

Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.HS-Ready.rom.zip

Here is a version which is compatible in theory with macOS HighSierra. Please note that this version is only for test purposes and far from being used permanently. The Rome contains, in addition to the OZ modified by cecekpavon, the following constituents, deviating from the original:

- SMCEmulator.kext with SMC version 2.22f16
- Suitable for the SMCEmulator the GPU, CPU and LPC sensors
- SMBIOS with iMAC 14.2 system definition and matching firmware features and firmware feature mask as well as matching bios version
- APFS driver

Especially the APFS driver is still more experimental and throws a bunch of debug messages directly after the system start Please do not disturb the messages, the system still works normally.
files
(4.54 MB, 19 times downloaded, last: Friday, 18:24)

Any1 try this one?

Here is a version which is compatible in theory with macOS HighSierra. Please note that this version is only for test purposes and far from being used permanently. The Rome contains, in addition to the OZ modified by cecekpavon, the following constituents, deviating from the original:

- SMCEmulator.kext with SMC version 2.22f16
- Suitable for the SMCEmulator the GPU, CPU and LPC sensors
- SMBIOS with iMAC 14.2 system definition and matching firmware features and firmware feature mask as well as matching bios version
- APFS driver

Especially the APFS driver is still more experimental and throws a bunch of debug messages directly after the system start Please do not disturb the messages, the system still works normally.
files
(4.54 MB, 19 times downloaded, last: Friday, 18:24)

Very interesting. Where did you find this?

No I haven't tried that even tough i made myself something similar ( anyone following the Ozmosis thread could also). All I did was replace Ozmosis with the one patched by CeCe and add APFS.ffs into ROM and a little update to Defaults.plist. I was not required to upgrade SMC with Sysdef iMac13,2 (ElvieJo has been doing it on SysDef MacMini 6,1). Who is hosting ( and/or supporting ) that ROM image ?

My other worries would be the SysDef choice of iMac 14,2 ... That does not match with our board which are made on the Ivy Bridge chipset and not the Haswell chipset.

DutchJan --> Since you seem have already installed it as iMac14,2, I would like to take a look at a IORegistryExplorer dump 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well iMac 14.2 is probably the best choice after MacPro 3.1 since it´s well supported in Sierra and above and as an addition it´s as flexible as MacPro3.1 was. The iMac 14.2 was delivered with an discreet NVIDIA GPU which opens up this SMBIOS for all NVIDIA GPU´s without the need to touch Apples GraphicsDevicePolicy in any way also you may use all AMD or Intel Cards as well as there are simply no restrictions about graphics at all.

Speaking about the CPU Type it simply does not matter whether you have installed an IvyBridge or SandyBridge the SMBIOS has no influence to it at all so you're good to go even if this particular SMBIOS is meant for Haswell (hint if you use IvyBridge CPUs consider to patch the kernel to use XCPM instead of AICPUPM it'll run better this way maybe you want to try cecek´s KernextPatcher?). 

I created this Rom and released it over at hackintosh-forum.de after some users I gave it to before I released it reported success with it. Please be aware that APFS Support is highly experimental at all. It will throw a bunch of debug Messages right after you powered on your Rig and there is no known way to suppress this if the APFS Drivers is integrated into the Rom (loading it from the EFI partition will work kind of but it won't kickstart at all so you have to enter the EFI Shell every boot and start it manual) cecek correct me if I'am wrong...

(hint if you use IvyBridge CPUs consider to patch the kernel to use XCPM instead of AICPUPM it'll run better this way maybe you want to try cecek´s KernextPatcher?). 

Why would you patch the kernel.. isn't there a -xcpm boot arg that can be added to com.apple.Boot.plist ?