994 replies to this topic

Espamac

Espamac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hello!

Thanks A LOT for your post. The last laptop I hacked was a Dell notebook and that was 6 years ago, so I'm basically a newbie regarding the latest procedures to get OS X running. Things have improved dramatically for what I can see and the community is now strong and really vast.

After a series of unrelated events I've ended up really fed up with Apple and want to experience other hardware and fresh air but need and prefer to use OS X. I need a stable reliable system that's why I like very much the UEFI approach, it's clean and elegant, congratulations on the work done.

I shall be looking for a relatively updated second hand laptop, and my eyes were set on a Thinkpad since they seem solidly built and reliable. Plus I like the rugged 80's look... I must be getting old.

It looks like the job is really advanced on the T420... Would it work similarly on a x220 or is it a completely different beast? I like the screen resolution of the T420 but prefer the size of the X220.

One more question, are the T430 or the X230 theoretically approachable with this method or do you foresee some hardware obstacles that make the hack impossible. I'm trying to get the most stable and functional Thinkpad that is possible.

Regards and again thank you for your work, really appreciated.

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

Hello!

Thanks A LOT for your post. The last laptop I hacked was a Dell notebook and that was 6 years ago, so I'm basically a newbie regarding the latest procedures to get OS X running. Things have improved dramatically for what I can see and the community is now strong and really vast.

After a series of unrelated events I've ended up really fed up with Apple and want to experience other hardware and fresh air but need and prefer to use OS X. I need a stable reliable system that's why I like very much the UEFI approach, it's clean and elegant, congratulations on the work done.

I shall be looking for a relatively updated second hand laptop, and my eyes were set on a Thinkpad since they seem solidly built and reliable. Plus I like the rugged 80's look... I must be getting old.

It looks like the job is really advanced on the T420... Would it work similarly on a x220 or is it a completely different beast? I like the screen resolution of the T420 but prefer the size of the X220.

One more question, are the T430 or the X230 theoretically approachable with this method or do you foresee some hardware obstacles that make the hack impossible. I'm trying to get the most stable and functional Thinkpad that is possible.

Regards and again thank you for your work, really appreciated.

He he yes I guess we are getting older cause I have a macbook pro but I prefer to use my T420 as my main hackbook computer :)
From the x220 spec I can see you will be good to go with the UEFI method (Sandy Bridge with Intel HD 3000) as for T430 and X230 I'm very optimistic cause I see more and more commits in clover that deal with Intel HD 4000 thus I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

To be honest I'm curious how will this work on other UEFI enabled ThinkPad's that is why I welcome all models specified below to join in and share their experience.

Welcomed ThinkPad:
E130, E135, E330, E335, E430, E435, E530, E535, L330, S430
L430, L530
S220, S420
T420, T420s, T430, T430s, T520, T530
W520, W530
X1, X1 Carbon, X121e, X130e, X131e, X220, X220 Tablet, X230, X230 Tablet

Espamac

Espamac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the answer! Count me in, I'm going to look for a decently priced second hand Thinkpad. I'll report back.

seraph1024

seraph1024

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The more information you give the better chance to resolve your issue.
- what OSX version you are trying to boot?

Update: Try disabling OEM table DMAR in Clover option during boot and report back

I have tried disabling OEM table DMAR. That went further. I got to as far as the screen where it's asking for mouse/keyboard (bluetooth) which i had and then KP. I think it's the recovery screen and I got as far as being able to partition a new drive before it KP once.

I am running on Lenovo T420, i7 with 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD drive. For the install media, I am using a 2GB standard USB stick formatted as FAT32 then Ran Clover with EFI option (not standard and both of the 64bit checked) on the latest clover. As for the OSX, I have a MBP 15" retina and I downloaded ML 10.8 on there thru the store. I made a 8GB boot USB with that.

Thanks for the help so far. Do you need any particular info. I am trying to get the message before KP but it keep rebooting before I can even write it down.

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

I have tried disabling OEM table DMAR. That went further. I got to as far as the screen where it's asking for mouse/keyboard (bluetooth) which i had and then KP. I think it's the recovery screen and I got as far as being able to partition a new drive before it KP once.

I am running on Lenovo T420, i7 with 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD drive. For the install media, I am using a 2GB standard USB stick formatted as FAT32 then Ran Clover with EFI option (not standard and both of the 64bit checked) on the latest clover. As for the OSX, I have a MBP 15" retina and I downloaded ML 10.8 on there thru the store. I made a 8GB boot USB with that.

Thanks for the help so far. Do you need any particular info. I am trying to get the message before KP but it keep rebooting before I can even write it down.

I see you have upgraded the RAM and HDD. Wait, you say 16GB of RAM is possible in T420!? Do tell more about the upgrade and what ram you are using.

You are getting closer... Dropping DMAR table will be essential for you cause you have new installer 10.8.2 (you will fix that later with AppleACPIPlatform.kext).
The KP is most likely your CPU - in clover try unchecking P and C states generation, than try SSDT table drop unchecked etc. Also experiment with different UEFI Bios settings (try using Intel HD 3000). Good luck and report back.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Attached File  post-638501-0-53236700-1360428974_thumb.jpg   11.53KB   107 downloads

solved by

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>GraphicsInjector</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>DualLink</key>
<string>0</string>

</dict>

Thanks to

Kogen Mantis :)

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

try Clover_v2_r1112 but went back to Clover_v2_r1050 cos i got that
Attached File  post-638501-0-53236700-1360428974_thumb.jpg   11.53KB   107 downloads

Help would be great
i try to move dsdt.aml
no result

boot.log under 1050
under 1112

The systemlog says that you are running r1050 but anyways. (ok You have added the seccond one) :) 1112... This is because latest Clover builds are using DualLink enabled by default. Just disable it in config.plist and see if this helps.
<key>Graphics</key>
	 <dict>
			 <string>Yes</string>
			 <key>DualLink</key>
			 <string>0</string>
	 </dict>

Edited by Kogen Mantis, 11 February 2013 - 07:50 PM.

seraph1024

seraph1024

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You are getting closer... Dropping DMAR table will be essential for you cause you have new installer 10.8.2 (you will fix that later with AppleACPIPlatform.kext).
The KP is most likely your CPU - in clover try unchecking P and C states generation, than try SSDT table drop unchecked etc. Also experiment with different UEFI Bios settings (try using Intel HD 3000). Good luck and report back.

I figured it out. It was the dropping DMAR and going to bios and turning off the NVIDIA optimus mode off. That took care of the whole install and all.

Yes I got the T420 about 2 years ago. So it was right as the T430 begin to come out. The motherboard can handle 16GB RAM. I am dual booting right now. One SSD (128) holds Win8. The 256 is partitioned in 2. Half for data shared between 2 OSes and half for OSX. Working good so far. I also got a small USB wifi module so that goes in the USB slot by the battery bay so it's out of the way. Just remember to turn of the power feature on BIOS.

Well, 3 things so far: 1:Not sure which format to use but clover is now installed on mac HD and still does not show up as bootable drive thru BIOS. 2:Audio is not working but I assume some kext is missing or needed to be modified. And finally 3: Everytime OSX is booted, Bluetooth keeps searching for Keyboard. Odd. Typing from T420 on Mac mode so it's good so far though. Thanks for all the help.

Attached Files

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

Well, 3 things so far: 1:Not sure which format to use but clover is now installed on mac HD and still does not show up as bootable drive thru BIOS. 2:Audio is not working but I assume some kext is missing or needed to be modified. And finally 3: Everytime OSX is booted, Bluetooth keeps searching for Keyboard. Odd. Typing from T420 on Mac mode so it's good so far though. Thanks for all the help.

Niece to see you progressing with the setup.

The bluetooth "phenomena" is normal cause OSX doesn't accept PS2 devices as valid controllers (keyboard/mouse) and thinks that they aren't connected. Just disable the bluetooth check.
Attached File  bluetooth-tip.png   146.43KB   25 downloads
As for audio. You are most likely using wrong driver or missing one. Now that you have OSX running update your post with DarwinDumperReport available here.

raffitaffy

raffitaffy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Thank you Kogen Mantis, UEFI is a great way to go (and install). My 4236DE2 build is flawless (sound,sleep,display port) with a quick load (UEFI w/ clover IS quicker). Had to add a vodoo battery kext. After playing with several DSDTs I used manwe150's from the other T420 big thread with the "DualLink to 0"fix from post 32 (I have the low resolution monitor). Changed the folder name on EFI partition and bingo. I was getting that black screen before the dual link fix, although connecting an external monitor worked.

I simply swapped the drive to my wife's 420: 4177CTR. And all but sound works. No folder change. System profiler even shows her 16 RAM at 1600 MHz(GSkill) and a Firewire port. I can't wait to try the Firewire with a MIDI external soundcard I have.

My wife's is a refub but a hellava Macbook. One thing, I put win7 on another Partition and clover wont boot it. Even if the bios is only legacy.Attached File  myKexts.zip   2MB   66 downloads

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

Thank you Kogen Mantis, UEFI is a great way to go (and install). My 4236DE2 build is flawless (sound,sleep,display port) with a quick load (UEFI w/ clover IS quicker). Had to add a vodoo battery kext. After playing with several DSDTs I used manwe150's from the other T420 big thread with the "DualLink to 0"fix from post 32 (I have the low resolution monitor). Changed the folder name on EFI partition and bingo. I was getting that black screen before the dual link fix, although connecting an external monitor worked.

I simply swapped the drive to my wife's 420: 4177CTR. And all but sound works. No folder change. System profiler even shows her 16 RAM at 1600 MHz(GSkill) and a Firewire port. I can't wait to try the Firewire with a MIDI external soundcard I have.

My wife's is a refub bet a hellava Macbook. One thing, I put win7 on another Partition and clover wont boot it. Even if the bios is only legacy.Attached File  myKexts.zip   2MB   66 downloads

Good to hear that...
This is an issue with lenovo UEFI Bios (it simply won't allow You to boot GPT disks in legacy mode). The only option for us is reinstalling Win7 64Bit in UEFI Only - but I have not tried this yet (whole disk used by OSX).

seraph1024

seraph1024

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Attached is the darwin dump of my whole system.

I have successfully dual boot using UEFI on both Win8 and ML.

I followed all the instructions but my setup is a little different.

I have 2 HDs on my machine. I am not using the CD tray. You can get a HD tray replacement on Amazon fairly cheap. I got mine for around 50 2 years ago.

The deal is as follows: Install Win8 on first drive (original HD slot). Then install ML on 2nd HD/CD bay and partition as needed -- I am using 240GB SSD so I split in half. Half for data and half for OSX.

This is where I differ from the original post. Instead of writing the EFI contents to the EFI partition, I mount the EFI partition from the FIRST drive with Win8. I renamed the Boot to Boot.old and copy over the rest so you'll get in the EFI partition, you'll get ACPI, BOOT, ROM, kexts, and Windows. Reboot.

When you do not press F12, it'll boot into Windows as before. If you press F12, you can select HD1 and Clover menu shows up. At that point, you can either boot into Windows, OSX, or OSX recovery. :)

I still have to deal with Audio but that's a whole different issue.

Kogen, I can send you screen shots or post the screen shots of the changes here the the EFI partition so people can dual boot as well. I figure if you keep it in one post, it's easier to find for all rather than dig thru the whole thread.

Attached Files

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

This is where I differ from the original post. Instead of writing the EFI contents to the EFI partition, I mount the EFI partition from the FIRST drive with Win8. I renamed the Boot to Boot.old and copy over the rest so you'll get in the EFI partition, you'll get ACPI, BOOT, ROM, kexts, and Windows. Reboot.

When you do not press F12, it'll boot into Windows as before. If you press F12, you can select HD1 and Clover menu shows up. At that point, you can either boot into Windows, OSX, or OSX recovery. :)

I still have to deal with Audio but that's a whole different issue.

Kogen, I can send you screen shots or post the screen shots of the changes here the the EFI partition so people can dual boot as well. I figure if you keep it in one post, it's easier to find for all rather than dig thru the whole thread.

Excellent. I guess you should make Clover boot by default now :)
I'm still searching for the best sound solution and I even found one - but it is not as elegant as I would expect. You can fix your sound by moving original AppleHDA.kext out of /S/L/E:
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext /System/
Run myFix (quick) to rebuild caches.
I plan to update the first post soon with some references to interesting posts from this thread. That is why I'd rather You update your post with pictures and working solution for dual booting with Windows 8. I'll then link to it in the first post.

seraph1024

seraph1024

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'll write up an howto dual boot this weekend. I am still trying to perfect the machine. So far, when i move the AppleHDA out to /system/ it worked for the next boot but since it has not worked. Also I do not have video out from Display port or VGA. I thought your setup has it running. Anything I should be watching out for on this setup?

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

I'll write up an howto dual boot this weekend. I am still trying to perfect the machine. So far, when i move the AppleHDA out to /system/ it worked for the next boot but since it has not worked. Also I do not have video out from Display port or VGA. I thought your setup has it running. Anything I should be watching out for on this setup?

Yes I see Clover auto detect your machine as MacbookPro8,3. Try setting 8,1 by hand in EFI\OEM\41786WU\config.plist by adding:
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
</dict>

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts
I have came across excellent VoodooPS2Controller.kext replacement by RehabMan on GitHub. Believe me this are the best drivers you will get. You can program your three fingers swipe to whatever shortcut you wan plus the inertial/smooth scrolling works just like on a real mac!
I'll include new drivers in the next release of LenovoEFI_Pack_Beta3 stay tuned.

Update: For those who can't wait - attached the drivers I'm using now.

My keyboard shortcuts settings:

Attached File  keyboard_shortcuts.png   137.28KB   52 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by Kogen Mantis, 16 February 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Thanks for the share, i try it using the How to) but got KP and loop boots
Waiting the new pack :)

my pack is available in my signature (i use it in SLE) cos i switch from Chameleon to Clover
my EFI/Config is Kogen Mantis' one
your /EFI/OEM/find your code on the upper your barcode sticker : type 4236-Y33 give you 4236Y33/config.plist
-----

usefull information to add in your config.plist

<key>CustomUUID</key>
<string>ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep \"system-id</string>
<key>DefaultBootVolume</key>
<string>name of your HD</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>LegacyBoot</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>SystemId</key>
<string>system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk '/Hardware UUID/'</string>
<key>VolumeString</key>
<string>diskutil info /dev/disk0s1 | awk '/Volume UUID/'</string>
<key>boot-args</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>ioreg -lw0 -p IODeviceTree -n efi -r -x | grep device-properties | sed 's/.*<//;s/>.*//;'</string>

usefull other info :(use terminal.app)

ioreg -r -d 1 -k IOPlatformUUID

Edited by Tetonne, 16 February 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

Thanks for the share, i try it using the How to) but got KP and loop boots
Waiting the new pack :)
my pack is available in my signature (i use it in SLE) cos i switch from Chameleon to Clover
my EFI/Config is Kogen Mantis
your /EFI/OEM/find your code on the upper your barcode sticker : type 4236-Y33 give you 4236Y33/config :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>DualLink</key>
<string>0</string>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
<string>04/22/11</string>
<key>BiosVendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>MBP81.88Z.0047.B0E.1104221557</string>
<key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
<string>xxxxxxxxxx</string>
<key>Manufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<string>use Chameleon Wizard (SMSBIOS)</string>
<key>Version</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>CustomUUID</key>
<string>diskutil info /dev/disk0s1 | awk '/Volume UUID/'</string>
<key>DefaultBootVolume</key>
<string>name of your HD</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>LegacyBoot</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>VolumeString</key>
<string>number is given at bios boot, I try to find better how to</string>
<key>boot-args</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>see post 38</string>
<key>efi-boot-device-data</key>
<string>I try to find a how to</string>
<key>prev-lang:kbd</key>
<string>fr:1111</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

usefull other info :(use terminal.app)
system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk '/Hardware UUID/'

diskutil info /dev/disk0s2 | awk '/Volume UUID/'
ioreg -r -d 1 -k IOPlatformUUID

Make a DarwinDumperReport I'll see what is causing the KP. But most likely You still have VoodooPS2Controller.kext somewhere.
Check:
  • EFI/OEM/4236Y33/kexts/10.8/
  • /System/Library/Extensions/
  • /System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ (if you are using myHack)

seraph1024

seraph1024

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Yes I see Clover auto detect your machine as MacbookPro8,3. Try setting 8,1 by hand in EFI\OEM\41786WU\config.plist by adding:

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>ProductName</key>
<dict>

I tried MBP 8,1 8,3. Both are not working. Odd. I even changed the number of ports from 1 to 3. Something else is missing. Also when I am not in verbose mode for booting, the apple logo seems big (somewhat off scale) but boots into 1600x900 without issues though.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
How to fix the iMessage login problem on your Hackintosh (with Clover) :

http://www.macbreake...problem-on.html

add this

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>MLB</key>

<string>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</string>

</dict>

in your config.plist

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 17-character serial number compose this your SMBIOS SerialNumber + y number or letter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UEFI, ThinkPad, T420, Lenovo, Clover

Topic Stats Last Post Info

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy