Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Thank you Kogen Mantis, UEFI is a great way to go (and install). My 4236DE2 build is flawless (sound,sleep,display port) with a quick load (UEFI w/ clover IS quicker). Had to add a vodoo battery kext. After playing with several DSDTs I used manwe150's from the other T420 big thread with the "DualLink to 0"fix from post 32 (I have the low resolution monitor). Changed the folder name on EFI partition and bingo. I was getting that black screen before the dual link fix, although connecting an external monitor worked.

I simply swapped the drive to my wife's 420: 4177CTR. And all but sound works. No folder change. System profiler even shows her 16 RAM at 1600 MHz(GSkill) and a Firewire port. I can't wait to try the Firewire with a MIDI external soundcard I have.

My wife's is a refub bet a hellava Macbook. One thing, I put win7 on another Partition and clover wont boot it. Even if the bios is only legacy.myKexts.zip

Good to hear that...

This is an issue with lenovo UEFI Bios (it simply won't allow You to boot GPT disks in legacy mode). The only option for us is reinstalling Win7 64Bit in UEFI Only - but I have not tried this yet (whole disk used by OSX).

Attached is the darwin dump of my whole system.

I have successfully dual boot using UEFI on both Win8 and ML.

I followed all the instructions but my setup is a little different.

I have 2 HDs on my machine. I am not using the CD tray. You can get a HD tray replacement on Amazon fairly cheap. I got mine for around 50 2 years ago.

The deal is as follows: Install Win8 on first drive (original HD slot). Then install ML on 2nd HD/CD bay and partition as needed -- I am using 240GB SSD so I split in half. Half for data and half for OSX.

This is where I differ from the original post. Instead of writing the EFI contents to the EFI partition, I mount the EFI partition from the FIRST drive with Win8. I renamed the Boot to Boot.old and copy over the rest so you'll get in the EFI partition, you'll get ACPI, BOOT, ROM, kexts, and Windows. Reboot.

When you do not press F12, it'll boot into Windows as before. If you press F12, you can select HD1 and Clover menu shows up. At that point, you can either boot into Windows, OSX, or OSX recovery. :)

I still have to deal with Audio but that's a whole different issue.

Kogen, I can send you screen shots or post the screen shots of the changes here the the EFI partition so people can dual boot as well. I figure if you keep it in one post, it's easier to find for all rather than dig thru the whole thread.

DarwinDumper_2.6.4_Lenovo_ML_root.zip

This is where I differ from the original post. Instead of writing the EFI contents to the EFI partition, I mount the EFI partition from the FIRST drive with Win8. I renamed the Boot to Boot.old and copy over the rest so you'll get in the EFI partition, you'll get ACPI, BOOT, ROM, kexts, and Windows. Reboot.

When you do not press F12, it'll boot into Windows as before. If you press F12, you can select HD1 and Clover menu shows up. At that point, you can either boot into Windows, OSX, or OSX recovery. :)

I still have to deal with Audio but that's a whole different issue.

Kogen, I can send you screen shots or post the screen shots of the changes here the the EFI partition so people can dual boot as well. I figure if you keep it in one post, it's easier to find for all rather than dig thru the whole thread.

Excellent. I guess you should make Clover boot by default now :)

I'm still searching for the best sound solution and I even found one - but it is not as elegant as I would expect. You can fix your sound by moving original AppleHDA.kext out of /S/L/E:

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext /System/

Run myFix (quick) to rebuild caches.

I plan to update the first post soon with some references to interesting posts from this thread. That is why I'd rather You update your post with pictures and working solution for dual booting with Windows 8. I'll then link to it in the first post.

I'll write up an howto dual boot this weekend. I am still trying to perfect the machine. So far, when i move the AppleHDA out to /system/ it worked for the next boot but since it has not worked. Also I do not have video out from Display port or VGA. I thought your setup has it running. Anything I should be watching out for on this setup?

I'll write up an howto dual boot this weekend. I am still trying to perfect the machine. So far, when i move the AppleHDA out to /system/ it worked for the next boot but since it has not worked. Also I do not have video out from Display port or VGA. I thought your setup has it running. Anything I should be watching out for on this setup?

Yes I see Clover auto detect your machine as MacbookPro8,3. Try setting 8,1 by hand in EFI\OEM\41786WU\config.plist by adding:

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
</dict>

I have came across excellent VoodooPS2Controller.kext replacement by RehabMan on GitHub. Believe me this are the best drivers you will get. You can program your three fingers swipe to whatever shortcut you wan plus the inertial/smooth scrolling works just like on a real mac!

I'll include new drivers in the next release of LenovoEFI_Pack_Beta3 stay tuned.

Update: For those who can't wait - attached the drivers I'm using now.

My keyboard shortcuts settings:

post-112035-0-67923600-1361012041_thumb.png

VoodooPS2Controller_RehabMan.zip

Edited by Kogen Mantis
  • Like 1

Thanks for the share, i try it using the How to) but got KP and loop boots

Waiting the new pack :)

my pack is available in my signature (i use it in SLE) cos i switch from Chameleon to Clover

my EFI/Config is Kogen Mantis' one

your /EFI/OEM/find your code on the upper your barcode sticker : type 4236-Y33 give you 4236Y33/config.plist

-----

usefull information to add in your config.plist

<key>CustomUUID</key>

<string>ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep \"system-id</string>

<key>DefaultBootVolume</key>

<string>name of your HD</string>

<key>InjectSystemID</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>LegacyBoot</key>

<string>PBR</string>

<key>SystemId</key>

<string>system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk '/Hardware UUID/'</string>

<key>VolumeString</key>

<string>diskutil info /dev/disk0s1 | awk '/Volume UUID/'</string>

<key>boot-args</key>

<string>npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>ioreg -lw0 -p IODeviceTree -n efi -r -x | grep device-properties | sed 's/.*<//;s/>.*//;'</string>

usefull other info :(use terminal.app)

ioreg -r -d 1 -k IOPlatformUUID

Edited by Tetonne

Thanks for the share, i try it using the How to) but got KP and loop boots

Waiting the new pack :)

my pack is available in my signature (i use it in SLE) cos i switch from Chameleon to Clover

my EFI/Config is Kogen Mantis

your /EFI/OEM/find your code on the upper your barcode sticker : type 4236-Y33 give you 4236Y33/config :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>DualLink</key>

<string>0</string>

<key>GraphicsInjector</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<dict>

<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>

<string>04/22/11</string>

<key>BiosVendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>BiosVersion</key>

<string>MBP81.88Z.0047.B0E.1104221557</string>

<key>BoardSerialNumber</key>

<string>xxxxxxxxxx</string>

<key>Manufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>ProductName</key>

<key>SerialNumber</key>

<string>use Chameleon Wizard (SMSBIOS)</string>

<key>Version</key>

<string>1.0</string>

</dict>

<key>SystemParameters</key>

<dict>

<key>CustomUUID</key>

<string>diskutil info /dev/disk0s1 | awk '/Volume UUID/'</string>

<key>DefaultBootVolume</key>

<string>name of your HD</string>

<key>InjectSystemID</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>LegacyBoot</key>

<string>PBR</string>

<key>VolumeString</key>

<string>number is given at bios boot, I try to find better how to</string>

<key>boot-args</key>

<string>npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>see post 38</string>

<key>efi-boot-device-data</key>

<string>I try to find a how to</string>

<key>prev-lang:kbd</key>

<string>fr:1111</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

usefull other info :(use terminal.app)

system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk '/Hardware UUID/'

diskutil info /dev/disk0s2 | awk '/Volume UUID/'

ioreg -r -d 1 -k IOPlatformUUID

Make a DarwinDumperReport I'll see what is causing the KP. But most likely You still have VoodooPS2Controller.kext somewhere.

Check:

• EFI/OEM/4236Y33/kexts/10.8/
  • /System/Library/Extensions/
  • /System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ (if you are using myHack)

Yes I see Clover auto detect your machine as MacbookPro8,3. Try setting 8,1 by hand in EFI\OEM\41786WU\config.plist by adding:

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>ProductName</key>
<dict>

I tried MBP 8,1 8,3. Both are not working. Odd. I even changed the number of ports from 1 to 3. Something else is missing. Also when I am not in verbose mode for booting, the apple logo seems big (somewhat off scale) but boots into 1600x900 without issues though.

How to fix the iMessage login problem on your Hackintosh (with Clover) :

http://www.macbreake...problem-on.html

add this

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>MLB</key>

<string>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</string>

</dict>

in your config.plist

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 17-character serial number compose this your SMBIOS SerialNumber + y number or letter

• Like 1

Hey!

You're looking for feedback from other Thinkpad users. Here I am - proud owner of a X220 :-) I'm currently running 10.7.4 on it and would like to update to ML, but unfortunately all my attempts (clover / chameleon) have not leaded to success. I have the i7 2640M version with usb 3.0.

I followed your guide and can't even completely boot the installer. The GUI is launched (I see a grey screen), but then I get different types of KP... sometimes reboots, sometimes I see a mouse, sometimes not. Really weird. See screenshots of different KPs and logs below.

I have not changed any of the config files you submitted. Anything I could try?

system.log.zip

post-1042507-0-20520600-1361118489_thumb.jpg

post-1042507-0-13500500-1361118515_thumb.jpg

post-1042507-0-04630100-1361118536_thumb.jpg

Yes this is a common issue in newer OSX versions and since you are using 10.8.2 you must drop DMAR table or disable VT-d in ThinkPad Setup. (just like in post #46).

Update: Try this striped EFI folder for installing. Updated Clover to r1133, fixed theme selector color, new LAN drivers, new PS2 drivers, new FakeSMC and DualLink=0 by default

LenovoEFI_InstallPack.zip

Edited by Kogen Mantis
  • Like 2

Thanks Kogen! Amazing... this had been holding off my ML install for more than a month now!

However, after the install I can still use VT-d, right? Will reinstall wipe applications or will it keep everything? I have some custom kexts installed for Chameleon, but those should get replaced, right? Or would you recommend a complete fresh install (if reinstall is not that anyway).

Thanks again!

Thanks Kogen! Amazing... this had been holding off my ML install for more than a month now!

However, after the install I can still use VT-d, right? Will reinstall wipe applications or will it keep everything? I have some custom kexts installed for Chameleon, but those should get replaced, right? Or would you recommend a complete fresh install (if reinstall is not that anyway).

Thanks again!

Sure You can use VT-d [Enabled] - just remember to downgrade AppleACPIPlatform.kext to the one from ML 10.8.0 or Lion. As for installation, I recommend you make a fresh install and use myHack for your custom kexts (put them in /Extra/Extensions/ and myHack will do the rest). This way you will leave your /S/L/E almost untouched (the only exeption is moving AppleHDA.kext away) + the method will be compatible with chameleon.

Ok, cool, I'll see if I find the time to try this this weekend. If not it will have to wait after my holiday ;-)

Whats the reason of using MyHack vs. Clover's own fsinject to load texts without touching System/Library/Extension? My startup disk is GPT (I also run a windows EFI from another partition), so I guess it is not compatible with Chameleon anyway, or am I wrong here?

Ok, cool, I'll see if I find the time to try this this weekend. If not it will have to wait after my holiday ;-)

Whats the reason of using MyHack vs. Clover's own fsinject to load texts without touching System/Library/Extension? My startup disk is GPT (I also run a windows EFI from another partition), so I guess it is not compatible with Chameleon anyway, or am I wrong here?

1. I have found that some kexts won't work using Clover's fsinject.

2. myHack is clean. It makes only one ID bumped myHack.kext (kexts are loaded first) with plugins folder that includes all kexts you put in /Extra/Extensions (you just have to run myfix -t /)

As for compatibility the difference is that Chameleon does not operate in UEFI, but in BIOS environment. It just fools OSX into believing that it's booting in EFI environment by passing fake EFI runtime services to the system.

Hi there again!

OK, good things first. I bought a Lenovo X220, brand new, heavily discounted since the model is not longer manufactured. Beautiful little thing :)

Specs:

Intel Core i7 2.8

IPS Panel

RAM 4GB

HD 160SSD

Fingerprint, 3G, GPS, USB 3.0 and blah blah blah.

The installation went really smooth, amazingly smooth. The most difficult part shockingly was creating a USB installation disk with Lion DiskMaker. I won't go into much detail, it was a localization problem related to how the Mountain Lion Installation app is named in Spanish making it unrecognizable to DiskMaker. If anyone is interested I can explain him the easy workaround.

Tools I used:

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 installation

The Stripped EFI Folder posted on #63

And I came out nicely and smooth. I even updated Safari and some other stuff without any problems, after being prompted by the App Store app on the dock. I must say the IPS 12.5" looks gorgeous on Mac OS X, much better than on Windows 7 and the system feels faster and more responsive than in Windows, which I honestly find a little bit puzzling.

The system says it's a MacBook Pro 17inch, Early 2011 with a 2.81 Ghz Intel Core i7. The display profile says spdisplays_display 17" (1366x768). Any way to change that? No that it matters much as I said the screen looks terrific.

Working

· Power-On with fingerprint. I stored it previously using the ThinkPad software, since it is a BIOS set up it works independently of the OS. Nice feature.

· Ethernet

· Webcam

· The funny little lamp besides the webcam (Fn+PgUp)

· ExpressCard slot

Working with issues

· Sleep mode works after doing as suggested on post #27. Closing the lid doesn't seem to make the computer enter sleep mode. When the lid passes a certain angle on its way to be closed, the Fn+F4 combination for sleep mode doesn't work either.

· USB 2.0 inputs. USB 3.0 doesn't work, any ideas?

· The trackpad works so-so. Precision of the pointer is smother than in Windows 7 (again I'm puzzled by this), but two finger scrolling works in the opposite direction (if you swipe towards the keyboard the page goes down and vice-versa). Pinch zoom and rotate don't work. Three and four fingers are equivalent to using F11. That's it. Any suggestion is very welcome.

· Battery doesn't show remaining time nearby the icon or percentage. Just on the foldable menu. Anyway to change that?

Not working

· No Wifi obviously. The Dell 1515 card has arrived today though I'm a little bit reluctant to flash the BIOS. Does it void the warranty? Would I be able to return to the original BIOS? Would it be possible to modify the Dell 1515 vendor-ID to bypass the whitelist but still be recognized by Mac OS X as an airport card? It's an appealing approach, though maybe it doesn't make sense what I'm saying... Still thinking about it, is not such a big issue anyway since I can use a wifi nano-usb in the mean time. They're dirt cheap.

· No sound. At all. At first boot the mute and volume keys increased and decreased the bar, now when you press them the volume logo shows up with a forbidden sign. There's no sound card recognized. Any idea where to begin exploring?

· No microphone detected. Is it paired with the sound issue?

· No bluetooth.

· Card reader doesn't work. I think it's a known unsolvable issue so I don't worry much.

Untested

· VGA-out

· Display port

· WAN card for mobile data

Is there any program that kind of "checks" the system to see what is working and what it is detected?

Is there any way to check if the kexts are being applied correctly? I assume they are placed in System/Library/Extensions. Is that correct?

Many years ago with my first hackintosh I remember you had to repair permissions in the Terminal every time you modified the kexts, I understand that now that's done by running myHack, is that so? do you have to reboot afterwards?

I think I messed something up with AppleHDA.kext because I removed the original (kept in on another folder) and placed the one which was on the Extras folder on S/L/E.

Is there any way to stop the messages at startup? I think I read something about line 461 AppleHDA or whatever before entering the desktop.

I haven't touched the dsdt.asml file, should I?

I'm really sorry for the long message, I got carried away :-) Thank you very much for all the job you're doing. It is amazing.

I'm going to gather information and will get back to edit the message if I manage to solve anything.

Regards to everybody!

The system says it's a MacBook Pro 17inch, Early 2011 with a 2.81 Ghz Intel Core i7. The display profile says spdisplays_display 17" (1366x768). Any way to change that?

Yes you can do a Display Override as I did in #13 or use nice little app Tetonne mentioned in #39

Sleep mode works after doing as suggested on post #27. Closing the lid doesn't seem to make the computer enter sleep mode. When the lid passes a certain angle on its way to be closed, the Fn+F4 combination for sleep mode doesn't work either.

For this you need proper dsdt

USB 2.0 inputs. USB 3.0 doesn't work, any ideas?

Search for USB3 kext... I have fount interesting post about AppleUSBXHCI.kext patching for native USB3 support. Since I don't have USB3 - You will be the one to test it out.

To make long story short add this to your clover config:

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<dict>
<key>0</key>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleUSBXHCI</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>dVs=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>61s=</data>
</dict>
<key>1</key>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>Zj0AAQ==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>Zj0AAA==</data>
</dict>
<key>2</key>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>gUkIAABAAA==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>gUkIAAAAAA==</data>
</dict>
<key>3</key>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>QcdEJAgAAEAA</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>QcdEJAgAAAAA</data>
</dict>
<key>4</key>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>QcdGCAAAQAA=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>QcdGCAAAAAA=</data>
</dict>
<key>5</key>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>xoDIAAAAAQ==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>xoDIAAAAAA==</data>
</dict>
<key>6</key>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>dSZIi7voAQAA</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>6yZIi7voAQAA</data>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>

The trackpad works so-so. Precision of the pointer is smother than in Windows 7 (again I'm puzzled by this), but two finger scrolling works in the opposite direction (if you swipe towards the keyboard the page goes down and vice-versa). Pinch zoom and rotate don't work. Three and four fingers are equivalent to using F11. That's it. Any suggestion is very welcome.
try playing with touchpad and keyboard settings. (we still don't have true multitouch drivers)

· No Wifi obviously. The Dell 1515 card has arrived today though I'm a little bit reluctant to flash the BIOS. Does it void the warranty? Would I be able to return to the original BIOS? Would it be possible to modify the Dell 1515 vendor-ID to bypass the whitelist but still be recognized by Mac OS X as an airport card? It's an appealing approach, though maybe it doesn't make sense what I'm saying... Still thinking about it, is not such a big issue anyway since I can use a wifi nano-usb in the mean time. They're dirt cheap.

· No sound. At all. At first boot the mute and volume keys increased and decreased the bar, now when you press them the volume logo shows up with a forbidden sign. There's no sound card recognized. Any idea where to begin exploring?

· No microphone detected. Is it paired with the sound issue?

· No bluetooth.

· Card reader doesn't work. I think it's a known unsolvable issue so I don't worry much.

Untested

· VGA-out

· Display port

· WAN card for mobile data

Is there any program that kind of "checks" the system to see what is working and what it is detected?

Is there any way to check if the kexts are being applied correctly? I assume they are placed in System/Library/Extensions. Is that correct?

Many years ago with my first hackintosh I remember you had to repair permissions in the Terminal every time you modified the kexts, I understand that now that's done by running myHack, is that so? do you have to reboot afterwards?

I think I messed something up with AppleHDA.kext because I removed the original (kept in on another folder) and placed the one which was on the Extras folder on S/L/E.

Is there any way to stop the messages at startup? I think I read something about line 461 AppleHDA or whatever before entering the desktop.

I haven't touched the dsdt.asml file, should I?

I'm really sorry for the long message, I got carried away :-) Thank you very much for all the job you're doing. It is amazing.

I'm going to gather information and will get back to edit the message if I manage to solve anything.

Regards to everybody!

OK I'm tired ;)

Just send your full Darwin Dumper Report here and I'll try to help you out.

Edited by Kogen Mantis

You have used older DarwinDumper - pleas update your post with latest one (some info is missing)

Sorry about that here's the latest one:

DarwinDumper_2.6.5_Lenovo_ML_root.zip

I tried pasting the code you gave me for USB 3.0. I mounted the EFI volume and modified the config.plist file but got a KP on boot. I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures, I'll look through the post you referred to see if I can get it working.

Thanks!!!

Sorry about that here's the latest one:

DarwinDumper_2.6.5_Lenovo_ML_root.zip

I tried pasting the code you gave me for USB 3.0. I mounted the EFI volume and modified the config.plist file but got a KP on boot. I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures, I'll look through the post you referred to see if I can get it working.

Thanks!!!

I have attached dsdt file for you based on your ACPI dumps.

I recommend you work on your OEM folder now in case of any failure you can always rename it and boot the system from the oryginal striped EFI folder config.

dsdt-x220-126001.aml.zip

I have attached dsdt file for you based on your ACPI dumps.

I recommend you work on your OEM folder now in case of any failure you can always rename it and boot the system from the oryginal striped EFI folder config.

Hello again,

Thanks a lot for your time, it's appreciated. I placed the dsdt file on the OEM folder and run myHack. Nothing changed. So I placed it on ACPI/Patched and it boots to a black screen and this is what I saw before going black:

post-36060-0-57346700-1362067451_thumb.jpg

Now I try to boot from the USB disk and I also get the black screen and this is the last thing I get to see:

post-36060-0-14132900-1362068651_thumb.jpg

I don't get why it doesn't boot from the USB since it hasn't been mod. Any way to safely start and repair the EFI folder?

Send me to hell if I'm annoying you. I'm trying to figure this out myself but it looks like I lack some basic knowledge :(

Hello again,

Thanks a lot for your time, it's appreciated. I placed the dsdt file on the OEM folder and run myHack. Nothing changed. So I placed it on ACPI/Patched and it boots to a black screen and this is what I saw before going black:

post-36060-0-57346700-1362067451_thumb.jpg

Now I try to boot from the USB disk and I also get the black screen and this is the last thing I get to see:

post-36060-0-14132900-1362068651_thumb.jpg

I don't get why it doesn't boot from the USB since it hasn't been mod. Any way to safely start and repair the EFI folder?

Send me to hell if I'm annoying you. I'm trying to figure this out myself but it looks like I lack some basic knowledge :(

By OEM folder I mean (in Your case):

EFI/OEM/42914BG

So your custom dsdt goes to:

EFI/OEM/42914BG/ACPI/patched

And kexts you use goes to

EFI/OEM/42914BG/kexts/10.8/

look inside to see how my old OEM folder looks like.

EFI Shell is much like an good old DOS in use + all the UNIX like commands.

So to get you started find your EFI drive (it is listed on the beginning) and if it's fs0 just type:

fs0:[ENTER]

rest is just like in any normal shell, use commands like: ls, mv, cp, edit, etc.

Edited by Kogen Mantis