Driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS family

dukzcry

402 posts in this topic

That second installer worked for my Sierra installation, too - used Mountain Lion for the other installer.

The kexts and tool worked in both circumstances for me on Sierra - just had to unpack them. Was just curious about the installer being corrupted. :)

That's great it worked for you both!! Hopefully others will find these too.

@drowsyhaze: Not sure why you had to unpack the installer and I'm really unsure about it being corrupt. Worked fine for me. My first guess would be to blame Sierra but I'm still in El Capitan so I can't confirm. Furthermore, the installer worked just fine according to VJWZ so it may not be Sierra. Where both installers corrupted on your machine? Did you attempt to re-download the ZIPs?

Yup, tried those things. The second installer worked on Sierra. The first one did not, verified on three installations (two hacks and one macbook pro).

I also tried to compile from the GitHub source but no luck on Sierra or ML Xcode. Worked on 10.10 though (didn't try 10.9 or 10.11).

The installer is totally unnecessary - just move the files to the appropriate locations.

I am curious about the kext differences, though - one is from 2013 the other from 2014, and the latter is half the size of the former. I'm assuming the latter is the 64-bit only version someone had mentioned compiling and posting in this thread? I'll check when I'm back on my desktop :)

Hi. The driver is great, but PERC 6/i with latest firmware on EL Capitan (latest as well) is freezes after some major file operations. Freezes for good, finder goes unresponsive so bad that I can't even do soft reboot, only power reset helps.

When idle it doesn't freeze for weeks. Having 2 raids type 1, 4 sas drives 600G each, using release kext, nothing crazy. Changed drives back and forth, all drives are brand new. What is wrong with it?

@drowsyhaze: I can't comment on the differences. Only shared what was found on my drive. You are correct, the installer is unnecessary for advanced users. However, it's an easier method for those less savvy. :wink_anim:

@Neolo:  edit: Be certain that the heatsink has PLENTY of airflow, direct airflow if possible. Also, if you haven't done so already, apply some new thermal paste. That card is likely almost a decade old. I replaced the original heatsink with one of these chipset heatsink with fan.

@Neolo:  edit: Be certain that the heatsink has PLENTY of airflow, direct airflow if possible. Also, if you haven't done so already, apply some new thermal paste. That card is likely almost a decade old. I replaced the original heatsink with one of these chipset heatsink with fan.

Actually yes, remaking the cooling system seems helped, no mo freezes or degraded arrays. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually NO, still locks up on PERC 6/i after some random access load, until I power reset it. It's not a cooling problem, but driver. Very unreliable. Such a frustration.

Dang....  My next suggestion would be to rollback the firmware.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a D2607-A11 card and flash into LSI 9211-8i IT mode, can it be used in Sierra using this SASMegaRAID.kext driver?

From what I've read over the years, this will not work with card in IT mode. You can try it but the OS might not recognize the drives. If you use IT mode to gain JBOD, you might use RAID 0 instead.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Just Installed a perc h310 into my mac pro 3,1. the adapter shows up in the scsi section using the sasmegaraid kext, drives are visible in mfiutil only BUT i have no acces to the drives. I tried to build a volume through mfiutil but is not possible, it says: current driver configuration won't allow any changes.

I have a PC and I tried to replace the dell firmware with lasi9211 but the PC won.t boot unless I cover the pins 4 and 5 on the adapter and when I do this the H310 won't show up at all.

any ideas?

I need to create a raid0 from two ssd

thank you

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just Installed a perc h310 into my mac pro 3,1. the adapter shows up in the scsi section using the sasmegaraid kext, drives are visible in mfiutil only BUT i have no acces to the drives. I tried to build a volume through mfiutil but is not possible, it says: current driver configuration won't allow any changes.

I have a PC and I tried to replace the dell firmware with lasi9211 but the PC won.t boot unless I cover the pins 4 and 5 on the adapter and when I do this the H310 won't show up at all.

any ideas?

I need to create a raid0 from two ssd

thank you

Have you tried booting in legacy mode to access the perc bios and setup the array that way?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have both LSI 9211-8i and PERC H310 cards. None of them show up in El Capitan. Do I need to upgrade to Sierra? If read somewhere High Sierra has it's own driver for LSI / Poweredge.

Regardless of if I put the kext in SLE or Clover EFI or both. The kext shows as not loaded in System Report.  

The card shows in during boot and shows number of attached disks. 

Do I have to create array of disks even for card to show up?

I only have one 8TB SAS drive to attach. That's what the second card was bought for.

I use the first one to test SSDs before sale on eBay, 8 at a time. Both cards seem to be pretty well supported by your driver. Is it OS version independent?

David

Edit: I run the sudo kextutil -v /System/Library/Extensions/SASMegaRAID.kext with fellowing results

Defaulting to kernel file '/System/Library/Kernels/kernel'
Diagnostics for /System/Library/Extensions/SASMegaRAID.kext:
Code Signing Failure: not code signed
/System/Library/Extensions/SASMegaRAID.kext appears to be loadable (not including linkage for on-disk libraries).
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/SASMegaRAID.kext"
kext signature failure override allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/SASMegaRAID.kext"
Loading /System/Library/Extensions/SASMegaRAID.kext.
/System/Library/Extensions/SASMegaRAID.kext successfully loaded (or already loaded).

After this kext shows as loaded in Profiler extensions but no cards show up anywhere and it shows up as not loaded after restart.

Edited by kurbads

• 3 weeks later...

I see it's based on a LSISAS2208 (aka Thunderbolt), so unfortunately no (see https://github.com/druga/osx-goodies/blob/master/raid/README.mkd)

dZihan,

No, but i've just followed my guide to you for the test, and got sleep working. So there's something wrong on your side.

That's what i did:

- Done an install from package Release.zip http://www.osx86.net/files/download/304-sasmegaraidkext/

- Tested, no sleep

- Got plist from Unsafe settings unlocked.zip http://www.osx86.net/files/download/304-sasmegaraidkext/, changed AllowSleep preference from 'false' to 'true' and overwritten kext's Info.plist by it, run kext utility, rebooted

- Tested, tied to console (opened a terminal and issued 'tail -f /var/log/system.log | grep SAS' command), sleep works! Waked up the machine, waited a bit, a console message 'Resumed after sleep' appeared. Used a volume on the controller a bit for the test, done reboot, repeated this step. All OK!

Hi,

The links to these files, have been deleted. Does anyone know where I can get them from ? I want to be able to put my system to sleep and I can't due to "System sleep preventers: SASMegaRAID"

Does anyone have this working ? And could help me out ?

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this LSI 9211-8i on eBay. Loaded it with the latest firmware and bios. Created a RAID array on Windows on the same machine. Boot into Mac - nothing, as if there was no sign of it. Edited dukzcry kext 0x73001000 to 0x72001000 no luck. The prefer MSI is already set to 'false'. Is this my destiny?

post-16757-0-85162700-1510607048_thumb.png
post-16757-0-62283800-1510607058_thumb.png
post-16757-0-14453600-1510607123_thumb.png
post-16757-0-31049600-1510607304_thumb.png

post-16757-0-85162700-1510607048_thumb.png

post-16757-0-62283800-1510607058_thumb.png

post-16757-0-14453600-1510607123_thumb.png

post-16757-0-31049600-1510607304_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Found them, they work!

Dukzcry, please add these drivers to your main page as people who look for these will find your page first. Also because you are paying so much attention to aspect that your driver is not for 'fusion' cards, please explain what it is and how does it matter. Point out that there is a driver for fusion cards.

Here is the device list the driver works with

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
   <string>0x00641000&0xFFFFFFFF 0x00651000&0xFFFFFFFF 0x00701000&0xFFFFFFFF 0x00721000&0xFFFFFFFF 0x007E1000&0xFFFFFFFF 0x00861000&0xFFFFFFFF 0x00871000&0xFFFFFFFF 0x006E1000&0xFFFFFFFF</string>

Cheers!

David

LSI_2308_DRIVERS.zip

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello all! I have installed the supplied kext and it has worked beautifully, thank you to dukzcry for ll of your hard work on this. I am now seeing all of the hard disk on my external server individually.

I am trying to figure out how to access this card from boot to configure RAID, or if this is even possible from my motherboard. I have an ASUS x79 GENE IV, which is an 1150 board. I've been hunting around to see if anyone else has attempted to access a PCIe boot configuration from this board,m but I'm not finding much. Any advice you could give me on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. The boot section that seems most appicable has the following options:

LAUNCH CSM:

--ENABLE

--DISABLE

--BOOT DEVICE CONTROL:

-----UEFI AND LEGACY OPROM

-----LEGACY OPROM ONLY

-----UEFI ONLY

--BOOT FROM NETWORK DEVICES

----ENABLED

----DISABLED

--BOOT FROM STORAGE DEVICES

----BOTH, LEGACY OPROM FIRST

----BOTH UEFI FIRST

----LEGACY OPROM FIRST

----UEFI DRIVER FIRST

----IGNORE

BOOT FROM PCIe EXPANSION DEVICES

--OPROM FIRST

--UEFI FIRST

I've tried both options for PCIe as well as combinations of the other options, but I don't seem to get any prompt for the card. I also do not see the drives as boot options in the BIOS.

I've seen suggestions that Ctrl-h or ctrl-l at boot might access the boot option, but that doesn't seem to work on my computer.

I have pictures of all this and can get other pictures as well. Any hints on what I should try to research next would be greatly appreciated.

This looked like it might be tangentially related, but I don't quite understand everything in it. I can study it more if you guys think it might be heading in the right direction:
https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html