Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Tony,

If the solder joints are to small to use a iron, try a percision torch. If you only need to reset the solder, it might help. Obviously you know at your own risk it's not my fault, yada yada yada.

The GTX 670 it a much better card then the 6870. You could go with the stock 2gb non-overclocked model especially if you're not a gamer. The only reason I picked up the 4 GB model because it powers two displays and an HD projector. The extra VRAM helps Significantly with the "3rd" display.

-mrengles

I just use one monitor, but I understand better now. Thanks

The GTX 670 it a much better card then the 6870.

Not agree. NVidia faster with DirectX while Radeon is more qualitative with OpenGL.

The extra VRAM helps Significantly with the "3rd" display.

Extra RAM has no relation to 2D graphics.

Compute: 2560x1440x32bit=16Mb Ram. Multiply by a number of monitors. How much VideoRAM do you need? It seems 128Mb will be more then enough.

More memory is used for 3D textures.

Not agree. NVidia faster with DirectX while Radeon is more qualitative with OpenGL.

Extra RAM has no relation to 2D graphics.

Compute: 2560x1440x32bit=16Mb Ram. Multiply by a number of monitors. How much VideoRAM do you need? It seems 128Mb will be more then enough.

More memory is used for 3D textures.

When rendering video in FCPx the 6870 isn't even in the same ballpark with 670. There is no "rendering video" when using the 670. Also when scrolling huge DWG files, you can definitely notice a difference with the extra vRAM. The 6870 is choppy almost when compared to the Nvidia 670.

Hey guys, long time no see... :)

(I'm working on my college entrance exam, so I don't have much time to play with my hackintosh. :wallbash: )

Any way, I saw you guys talking about "pure" EFI boot with Clover.

I found this topic a month ago, maybe this may give ATI/AMD cards some help in terms of EFI Vios:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,692.0.html

By the way, mrengles, your Clover boot is really awesome! And Silce, good luck on the Clover development! :)

[EDITED AGAIN !!!] - SOLVED

Thank you, Thank Slice, Thank Mrengles, Thank the whole Team!!!

God Bless Clover!!!

P.S. As a bonus, I got a small and cute boot screen of the mobo's native instead of the extended one.

And I changed the attachment to new successful ones - preboot.log in 1920x1080 + screenshot.

P.S-2: Please look at the cursor position. There's no spare space.

Sorry, could you explain the process? I tried with my asus en9800gt and then the boot screen is smaller, not extended. Maybe I did something bad. The steps was:

I did a USB boot msdos and I copied the nvflash program. I restarted the system and booted from usb.

I did a backup of my original vbios. I Restarted

Once in windows I opened the original file with nbitor and checked the option Non-Native Display Panel. I saved the file. I Restarted

Once in usb msdos I run nvflash with the new file and flashed the vbios (eeprom). I Restarted

When the system booted the logo and the clover gui is smaller tan before. Black bars bigger!!!

Thanks

Sorry, could you explain the process? I tried with my asus en9800gt and then the boot screen is smaller, not extended. Maybe I did something bad. The steps was:

I did a USB boot msdos and I copied the nvflash program. I restarted the system and booted from usb.

I did a backup of my original vbios. I Restarted

Once in windows I opened the original file with nbitor and checked the option Non-Native Display Panel. I saved the file. I Restarted

Once in usb msdos I run nvflash with the new file and flashed the vbios (eeprom). I Restarted

When the system booted the logo and the clover gui is smaller tan before. Black bars bigger!!!

Thanks

Hi, eurisko1

Did you change the resolution parameters in /EFI/Boot/refit.config?

Yes, but I saw just in the boot than the motherboard´s logo is not in full screen, too.... nothing

Same here. A smaller Giga logo.

But Clover boot screen is in the full size, 1920x1080.

If you can't see the full size in Clover, how about checking config.plist.

PatchVBios=Yes under Graphics there worked in my case.

Refer to slice's comment > http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/page__st__740#entry1874339

Same here. A smaller Giga logo.

But Clover boot screen is in the full size, 1920x1080.

If you can't see the full size in Clover, how about checking config.plist.

PatchVBios=Yes under Graphics there worked in my case.

Refer to slice's comment > http://www.insanelym...40#entry1874339

Yes, I have this flag in config.plist. Have you got something else? My graphic section is graphicsinjector=yes and patchvbios=yes only. Another question. Have you changed something else in vbios, or only non native display panel? Could you explain me the steps you followed?

EDIT: SOLVED

I had videoports=3 in config.plist because my graphic card has 1 dvi, 1 vga and 1 hdmi but I onIy use the dvi port. I have removed this line and now works.

Thanks for you answer and thanks to everyone that helps in this project.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!!!

Yes, I have this flag in config.plist. Have you got something else? My graphic section is graphicsinjector=yes and patchvbios=yes only. Another question. Have you changed something else in vbios, or only non native display panel? Could you explain me the steps you followed?

EDIT: SOLVED

I had videoports=3 in config.plist because my graphic card has 1 dvi, 1 vga and 1 hdmi but I onIy use the dvi port. I have removed this line and now works.

Thanks for you answer and thanks to everyone that helps in this project.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!!!

Great! Congrats and Happy Holidays!

Dear Dev Team,

I have one strange thing regarding Clover installation.

I don't think this is a big issue, but for the beginners, they may suffer from the difference.

So for a widespread use of Clover, I think this thing may need a touch.

Even though I choose drivers in the Installer as follows;

screenshot20121224at804.png

the result is as follows;

screenshot20121224at813.png

All three driver folders, including drivers32, driver64, drivers64UEFI, are installed.

And all efi files are installed in the drivers64UEFI.

So I have to delete 3 files out of them - DataHubDxe-64.efi, OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi, and PartitionDxe-64.efi - to boot normally.

Otherwise, the booting process stops after I choose the boot drive in the Clover boot option screen.

Can this difference be handled?

Thank you & Merry Christmas!!! :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Hi Mr Comwave,

Yep I agree, however I understand that the installer was put together by the Chameleon team and crazybirdy. I recall reading recently that Slice suggested that crazybirdy is not involved anymore. I was hoping that Blackosx might take his place..., perhaps its still in discussion with the devs.

I would also add that this noob wishes that each release contained a brief change log as often it takes a while to determine what the changes are and if any mods are required to the config.plist.

Have a good Christmas,

Namaste/Tony.

Yep I agree, however I understand that the installer was put together by the Chameleon team and crazybirdy. I recall reading recently that Slice suggested that crazybirdy is not involved anymore. I was hoping that Blackosx might take his place..., perhaps its still in discussion with the devs.

How are you, Tony? Did you have a nice trip?

Thank you for enlightening me.

I didn't know my question has such a history. I think I'd better wait to see.

Happy Holidays~

I just use one monitor, but I understand better now. Thanks

I have been looking around here for UEFI capable graphics cards, and by all accounts the HD7770 is "UEFIReady", I appreciate that these are not high end cards, but they are relatively cheap here at the moment. Talk is that 10.8.3 will fully support them, not sure about 10.8.2. I also like the fact that they have full size DP out, but not being a gamer it would be adequate.

Has anyone any experience of using the cards. Guess I would like to disable the CSM in the Asus UEFI BIOS to achieve true UEFI Booting.

I have been looking around here for UEFI capable graphics cards, and by all accounts the HD7770 is "UEFIReady", I appreciate that these are not high end cards, but they are relatively cheap here at the moment. Talk is that 10.8.3 will fully support them, not sure about 10.8.2. I also like the fact that they have full size DP out, but not being a gamer it would be adequate.

Has anyone any experience of using the cards. Guess I would like to disable the CSM in the Asus UEFI BIOS to achieve true UEFI Booting.

but you will always need a motherboard with superfast boot

but you will always need a motherboard with superfast boot

As far as i am aware most of the Asus Z77 Range and the sibling ASRock do have a fast boot facility, it is achieved by disabling the legacy BIOS (CSM) in the UEFI setup.

Buone Natale - hope that is correct - My Italian is a bit rusty.

As far as i am aware most of the Asus Z77 Range and the sibling ASRock do have a fast boot facility, it is achieved by disabling the legacy BIOS (CSM) in the UEFI setup.

honestly this I do not know

Merry christmans

My Asrock board has Fast Boot, Disabled, and Ultra Fast Boot (UFB). The last option prevents the Bios post screen, and requires a GTP installation on a HD or SSD. No USB allowed with the UFB option. The UFB option is intended only for booting windows 8, but since Clover & OSX can also use a GTP formatted drive we Clover UEFI users luck out.

My ASUS has Fast Boot, and Disabled. No signs of Ultra Fast Boot, or anything similar. This doesn't me it won't be added to a future bios update.

As far as Legacy Mode (CSM) both boards have this feature, and both can be disabled to allow 100% UEFI booting. This however doesn't increase the boot speed, at least not noticeable to me.

Now to give some details for UFB on the asrock motherboard. It does work, however my system will sometimes boot showing the bios post scene even though it should be disabled, I guess this must be a bug on asrock's part or AMI since they actually developed the UEFI/BIOS for these boards and many others like MSI, asus, asrock, gigabyte, Foxconn...

Hope this clears up the Ultra Fast Boot option, and we see it debugged and added to more AMI UEFI motherboards soon now that Windows 8 has been out for some time.

Mrengles

REAL APPLE HARDWARE TESTED

Testcase real MacBookPro 3,1:

This Machine boots the clover CD ISO 929-64 in BIOS mode to a workable native highress CLOVER GUI, internal keyboard works and adding external usb storage will let clover detect/add the bootable volumes ICONS on the FLY. Internal volumes also detected. Haven't actually tested booting MountainLion with clover, since the MBP3,1 support MountainLion natively. Booting a legacy (BIOS) grub2 PBR linux partition on a external USB disk doesn't work from the Clover bootloader!

Updated Testcase real MacBookPro 5.1:

http://www.insanelym...00#entry1873065

Logs / DSDT (darwin)dumps MacPro 2.1 octo /8core:

Earlier descriped NEEDED workarounds to let the Clover bootloader start on a REAL MacPro 2.1 can be found here: http://www.insanelym...20#entry1873641

The bootloader itself hangs on a blackscreen with white cursor (topleft-corner) if any "internal" SATA/PATA disks are connected. Workaround see linked post.

*Clover GUI bootloader 954 will instantly load from internal PATA disk if installed when boot0 instead of boot0hfs option is chosen during install!

*I was unable to boot MountainLion with Clover 929 on this MacPro2,1 while chimera (with its own limitations) does. Therefor I upload some logs and dsdt files to help figure out some MP2.1 clover related problems and make this Vintage MacPro 2.1 Mountain Lion compatible.

*Clover only detects 4 cores and 1 cpu, instead of 4 cores 2 cpu's and It hangs/freezes booting MountainLion after "corecrypto.kext FIPS POST passed!"

Attachments:

The "929mp21dsdt-log-bin.zip" has been made in BIOS mode on the MP2.1 booting from a fat32 Clover CD/USBStick, it contains dsdt/prebootlog/vbios dump.

The "nativeEFImp21dardwindumperselected.zip" has been made on the MP2.1 natively running Apple EFI with MacOSX 10.6.8.

929mp21dsdt-log-bin.zip

nativeEFImp21dardwindumperselected.zip

REAL APPLE HARDWARE TESTED

Updated MacPro 2.1 clover954 testcase:

*Solved booting the bootloader itself in one instance to a Clover GUI, upgrading to clover 954 on the internal pata volume and choosing boot0 vs boot0hfs during install of the bootloader gets you to a working Clover GUI with icons and keyboard interaction :-D when booting the Mac in BIOS mode. So no more workaround is need with CD's or USB disks or disconnecting of all internal PATA/SATA devices to get the bootloader itself to a working state.

*Problems of not being able to boot MountainLion which hangs on CoreCrypteSupport.kext passed is still there, will play around with several Clover ACPI /DSDT fixes.

Anyone with a Dual CPU XEON setup around this forum?

Hi Shiecidk,

Great theme, a happy new year to you and all readers of this forum. Goods luck too with the exams - please just remain positive regarding the results as it is very easy now to manifest good things in our lives - we are what we think, and being positive is important, do not consider a retake as being an option that is acceptable to you. Hope it doesn't sound too crazy man, but it is a fact now. Just hold the intention of a successful outcome and all will be well.

Just a quickie question - I get the best speedstep results using your MacPro5_1 profile. I am wonder whether you have changed it at all recently?

• Like 1

Hi Shiecidk,

Great theme, a happy new year to you and all readers of this forum. Goods luck too with the exams - please just remain positive regarding the results as it is very easy now to manifest good things in our lives - we are what we think, and being positive is important, do not consider a retake as being an option that is acceptable to you. Hope it doesn't sound too crazy man, but it is a fact now. Just hold the intention of a successful outcome and all will be well.

Just a quickie question - I get the best speedstep results using your MacPro5_1 profile. I am wonder whether you have changed it at all recently?

Thanks, that's a good point. :)

I still use the same one - replacing the "StepDataDict" in the plist with the one in MacBookPro8_1. (or 8_2, 8_3 They are the same).

You could tried the StepDataDict in Macmini5_1 (same as 5_2, 5_3) to get same amount of steps as MacBookPro8_1's one. But I found my CPU have better speedstep results with MacBookPro8_1's StepDataDict.

Your CPU is i7-3770K. Maybe you could try the StepDataDict in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources. These are all , I think, ivy bridge platform's plist. I don't know why apple divided them to another kext.