• Please log in to reply
5610 replies to this topic

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

In general, on a Hackintosh, we should NOT be accepting any Mac OS updates or "upgrades" because it will generally break your installation because we have specialized kexts--unless your hardware is "100%" compatible.

I speak from experience, unfortunately. Even though the statement seems obvious now, I did the recent update for 10.8.2, and paid dearly for it. Haha, even "real Apple" owners have problems.

The only Kext I have are FakeSMC.kext thanks to Clover. :)
  • cyf likes this

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Hey Devs,

I was just thinking. Can you guys/girls add an option to the Clover main menu to override the current Smbios settings like you have with so many other conf.plist setting?

Maybe a sub menu for SMBios were we can check off what Mac model we would temporarily like to boot with?

Is this possible? Something that would be worth adding? Would other like this feature?

I'd live to here your comments.

Thanks

-Mrengles

I think programmers have several options:

1. Having a menu item allowing people to enter the name of the config.plist (like what you have with the DSDT.aml file).
2. Break apart the smbios portion into a separate list a la Chameleon and allowing users to specify same (maybe even use the same SMBios field names).
3. Add sub-menu system per Mrengles.

1 would be simplest to program? Would allow users to preconfigure many config.plists. Later possibilities could including populating a menu with a list of config.plist's to allow selection at Clover options screen. Per my understanding, many entries in the smbios settings are mostly cosmetic, except for the model which apparently affects how the OS and other programs treats the system?
2 would allow a smaller config.plist file and, with regard to the smbios field names being the same as Chameleon, would allow people to have one smbios file they can transition from a BIOS set-up using the other tools, including the AHEM *beast tools. Does Apple have a standard smbios field name list? Maybe Chameleon needs to change? I'm sure someone eventually can create a field name converter.
3 would allow easy change to a few parameters, but more work to implement?

I personally vote for 1 or 2 because it seems like the smbios info only needs to change every once in a while? I mean, once I will have my system set-up, I will never change it because I have a laptop with almost zero configuration abilities (i.e., Utlrabook with fixed hardware). I envision constant tweaking of my DSDT (to remove things as I figure out what to let Clover handle, for example :wink2: , but maybe other people have other reasons for needing to modify the smbios all the time.

I definitely would LOVE being able to change config.plist before boot to test various set-ups out, which would even allow different DSDT to be chosen in the config.plist as that is already a field name.

antoniodapc

antoniodapc

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 546 posts
Will you give me help for install Clover Efi on my HP Dv7 7202 ?

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Gentlemen (and Ladies):

Have been giving a lot of thought re: User's Guide and reading through the thought-out and constructive posts. From someone that's read--or at least skimmed, a lot of the past articles, it seems that Clover has grown in leaps and bounds from something that has been a "hacker" tool to something that is becoming more user friendly to common users every day (and with each revision).

With that being said, I have also seen more and more people become aware of this great tool (I certainly mention it to others because I think it's so awesome -- 3TB drives are now in the $99 range on Slickdeals! so more people will undoubtedly switch to GPT and UEFI goes hand-in-hand with it--also Windoze 8), and along with that, more "basic" user questions. I also see questions being asked in multiple forums, which leads to difficulty for users to figure out where to find information. It also seems that different forums have different audiences, with osx86 catering to "basic" users, this forum being for intermediates, and projectosx being for advance discussions.

I believe having a Wiki or central repository would be great. I have been super busy with work, but would love to help integrate everything and rewrite things to "give back" and allow the devs to do what they do best and not have to answer basic questions over-and-over again. Maybe a completely separate forum with pinned topics for each of the different parts (e.g., DSDT, What is Clover (including what is UEFI, GPT, etc.), set-up questions--i.e., getting to Clover boot selection screen, etc.) or separate sub-forums for the separate parts.

One central place for help docs and then people can ask questions in whatever forum/site they wish? <-- comments/suggestions?

My comments re: user guide has been to try and be helpful, and I appreciate the incredible amount of thought and skill that has gone into Clover.

@kynnder, I thought what you did was great from the standpoint of showing someone a pure UEFI option, so my comment was meant to support what you did. I would have probably not gotten around to uploading something, or at least taking forever about it. :-)

And, no, I don't think the current guides are "bad" or "incomprehensible", I do think (my opinion only) that it needs to be in one place and edited for translation purposes (being a ESL (English as a Second Language) person, I appreciate the difficulties in translating from Russian to English, so I am very appreciative that people have actually bothered to do so). I would just like to help organize and edit.

The set-up was only confusing because I guess I wanted to create a pure UEFI set-up, and get rid of mixed MBR/GPT (at that time I thought I was going to dual-boot with Windows 8 (bleh! since I've used it for a little bit--going back to Windows 7 UEFI if I ever install Windows again), and I didn't realize how little was needed for that set-up. Now I understand the reasons for having the BIOS boot files after knowing the difference between UEFI and traditional BIOS, but ironically it was only after understanding how simple UEFI boot set-up is (or is supposed to be) that I understand the relationship. Most users will probably be coming from a BIOS/MBT set-up for now, so I guess my situation is different though I think more users will be going to use UEFI with Windoze 8.

Will you give me help for install Clover Efi on my HP Dv7 7202 ?

Do you have OS X already running? http://www.osx86.net...n-detected.html

Read the first few posts from this forum. You're more likely to get help if you have specific questions and more info.

MAik

MAik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Errors like this usually occurs when thee is no "slide=0" in boot args when booting ML. Can you check that?

Yes, I forgot the "slide=0" Clover v897 works great. Thank you.

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Can someone help me make a stock mountain lion usb installer?

Every time I restore the Installer ESD.dmg to a USB flash drive and try to boot the disk using Clover UEFI I get stuck at a whitish gray screen with a spinning beach ball.

I've read the Install OS X in /EFI/doc but its not very clear.

And remover the kernalcache like the guide days does nothing to fix the problem.

My goal is to make a Stock ML installer that creates the recovery partition from the first install. If I can get it working.. I'll be sure to type up a nice guid for us Clover users.

Any ideas? The white screen is not from my GPU I've tried both gtx670 and hd4000.

Thanks
-mrengles

Taruga

Taruga

Retired

• Retired Developers
  • 528 posts
try putting fakesmc.kext on extensions

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

try putting fakesmc.kext on extensions

Firstly you don't need FakeSMC.kext when booting the 10.8 Mountain Lion installer. Secondly When you restore the Installer ESD.dmg The "System Folder" and all the necessary boot files are self contained in a disk image Mac OS X Base System. I've tried booting with FakeSMC.kext injected by Clover but that does not make a difference.

The 10.8.2 ML Installer USB boots, but then it gets to the main screen were you need to agree to the TOC of the OS X Installer. The entire screen is white/gray with the spinning beach ball. No amount of time waited changes this scenario.

I've boot verbos, with and without kext injection and nothing indicates a problem.

Whats weird I'm able to boot the recovery partition just find, with a few modifications. But the ML Installer being very similar to the Recovery HD cant get past the initial white screen with the same modifications.

Thanks for the help though. I owe you a coke. =)

-Mrengles

Liquid Ice

Liquid Ice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Hello World.

I need your help. I have been trying to boot of Clover for the past week with no success. I Installed the pkg to a usb stick. Had to change theme in the config file, otherwise would get a blank screen. I loaded the FS drivers into the UEFI64 directory. I have selected UEFI in the installer, under customization.

When I try and select the 10.8 partition it says UUID is = large number and then freezes.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

Liquid ice

Firstly you don't need FakeSMC.kext when booting the 10.8 Mountain Lion installer. Secondly When you restore the Installer ESD.dmg The "System Folder" and all the necessary boot files are self contained in a disk image Mac OS X Base System. I've tried booting with FakeSMC.kext injected by Clover but that does not make a difference.

Sorry sir, but you are wrong.

You always need fakesmc to boot any OSX, whether its the OS or the Installer. FAKESMC emulates the SMC chip on real macs, without it the os wont boot.

please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

dmazar

dmazar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 266 posts
ML install does not need FakeSMC. First time heard it from Trauma here (23/03/2011, some time ago). My response was:

But if Apple one day releases OSX that does (not) need some SMC fix, I would not be surprised if it gets unnoticed for a while, since we are all automatically adding FakeSMC to every install. :)

Well, installed OSX needs it, but not installer.

Liquid Ice

Liquid Ice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
@dmazar

Thanks for the clarification

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hello World.

I need your help. I have been trying to boot of Clover for the past week with no success. I Installed the pkg to a usb stick. Had to change theme in the config file, otherwise would get a blank screen. I loaded the FS drivers into the UEFI64 directory. I have selected UEFI in the installer, under customization.

When I try and select the 10.8 partition it says UUID is = large number and then freezes.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

Liquid ice

Sorry sir, but you are wrong.

You always need fakesmc to boot any OSX, whether its the OS or the Installer. FAKESMC emulates the SMC chip on real macs, without it the os wont boot.

please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

You have been corrected your wrong. :)

Liquid Ice

Liquid Ice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

You have been corrected your wrong. :)

You win this round :) ..

Nice work with the theme, if I ever get Clover working I may use it.

Taruga

Taruga

Retired

• Retired Developers
  • 528 posts
Yesterday I had a nightmare with my board, while testing sleep/wake, etc... my z77x-ud5h got to a state where I couldn't boot from any disk anymore, couldn't enter bios setup. Cmos reset didn't help.
I was like... WTF ?!
After a lot of headache, I removed the graphics card (560ti) and finally the system booted and I could enter bios again.
I took the opportunity to flash my bios, and all seemed to be working.
Then I put the graphics card again, and all the problems came back. Only post screen, can't get to bios setup, can't boot from any disk, etc
I thought... maybe the graphics card is damaged. Ok, no problem, lets use the onboard one. And once again, problems. My board DVI only outputs 1920x1200 and my LCD is 2560x1440 and I only got image on my second monitor.
I was getting really mad and desperate with the situation and started unplugging things, to make sure if it was being caused by something else, like some usb device, etc

After some hours I solved the problem, it was caused by one or both my ssd´s. I disconnected them and finally I could boot my system, enter bios settings, etc with my 560ti.

Plugged in again both my ssd´s and the problem came back, no boot anymore, no enter bios settings anymore... :wallbash:

Then, I switched the ssd cables, ssd1 to port of ssd2 and vice versa and voila !!! :thumbsup_anim:

All started working fine again

What the hell happened here ?

kyndder

kyndder

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I had a similar situation once....

And incredibly, the culprit apparently was also a HDD, but later I discovered that because of a power surge,
most components had entered into a form of "Static freezing"....

Remove all components and plug them back was the only solution also...

tonydickinson

tonydickinson

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 188 posts

Can someone help me make a stock mountain lion usb installer?

Every time I restore the Installer ESD.dmg to a USB flash drive and try to boot the disk using Clover UEFI I get stuck at a whitish gray screen with a spinning beach ball.

I've read the Install OS X in /EFI/doc but its not very clear.

And remover the kernalcache like the guide days does nothing to fix the problem.

My goal is to make a Stock ML installer that creates the recovery partition from the first install. If I can get it working.. I'll be sure to type up a nice guid for us Clover users.

Any ideas? The white screen is not from my GPU I've tried both gtx670 and hd4000.

Thanks
-mrengles

I would second this I have exactly the same issue while trying to boot Clover and InstallESD.dmg - or indeed boot Clover from an install OSX partition.

Kynnder over at OSx86 has been more than helpful, but it refuses to work here, tried many different options, but no go...

:wallbash:

Warning: don't do this upgrade, you will find when you restart the bios reset

I agree, if you try to install it on a hack, it will write to the EFI partition on the disk you are booted from - I do not have Clover in that partition otherwise it might have been overwritten....!!!

Liquid Ice

Liquid Ice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Yesterday I had a nightmare with my board, while testing sleep/wake, etc... my z77x-ud5h got to a state where I couldn't boot from any disk anymore, couldn't enter bios setup. Cmos reset didn't help.
I was like... WTF ?!
After a lot of headache, I removed the graphics card (560ti) and finally the system booted and I could enter bios again.
I took the opportunity to flash my bios, and all seemed to be working.
Then I put the graphics card again, and all the problems came back. Only post screen, can't get to bios setup, can't boot from any disk, etc
I thought... maybe the graphics card is damaged. Ok, no problem, lets use the onboard one. And once again, problems. My board DVI only outputs 1920x1200 and my LCD is 2560x1440 and I only got image on my second monitor.
I was getting really mad and desperate with the situation and started unplugging things, to make sure if it was being caused by something else, like some usb device, etc

After some hours I solved the problem, it was caused by one or both my ssd´s. I disconnected them and finally I could boot my system, enter bios settings, etc with my 560ti.

Plugged in again both my ssd´s and the problem came back, no boot anymore, no enter bios settings anymore... :wallbash:

Then, I switched the ssd cables, ssd1 to port of ssd2 and vice versa and voila !!! :thumbsup_anim:

All started working fine again

@Taruga

Can you help me configure Clover I have the same/similiar board z77x up5 th with an AMD 6780. I will figure out graphicinjector after I can get this too boot. Please provide step by step instructions. I have already spent a week trying different things.

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,124 posts
CloverGrowerV4.2
bug fix, Update edk2 IF Clover updated, was NOT doing it.
Check post#2

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

@Taruga

Can you help me configure Clover I have the same/similiar board z77x up5 th with an AMD 6780. I will figure out graphicinjector after I can get this too boot. Please provide step by step instructions. I have already spent a week trying different things.

For the 6780 you need graphics injector=Yes and that's it. Clover will do the rest for that card.

Why don't you post your conf.plist so we can help.

antoniodapc

antoniodapc

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 546 posts
I have a problem so I split the disk

100 Mb Fat32 UEFI
50GB MacOSX
50GB Win7
300Gb Storage

My problem is not being able to make bootable the partition UEFI-Fat32 where I installed Clover

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bootloader, EFI, Clover

8 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy