Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

I prefer installer, because that's how Clover is distributed. And to install Clover on USB stick, you just need start installer and click through it (ok, maybe some additional notes on what to click could help) - end you end up with USB stick with Clover that is:

- BIOS bootable

- UEFI bootable

- plus you can put your Chameleon on it

- and even XPC

But that's just start. Then you need to set right options to make it work and finally install it to HDD.

I already pointed for dmazar's tip to have many boot loaders at one USB Stick, but apparently anyone saw...

The stick is what I've gotten since moving from Chameleon. And it does bring its jobs nicely until now. I would switch back to Chameleon at any times.

However, regarding to recalling Chameleon (with press 1) after I moved Clover into my HDD, it just ignores my /Extra in Clover's partition. Instead I have to put it back in the root of OS X partition. It seems not right. Ideally, I would like to have chances to totally wipe out any of working OS X to repeat a clean installation, without concerning to reinstall bootloader's package.

Yes, the USB stick can be a life saver but I couldn't figure out why I can't have its features in my HDD. Is it as simple as because Clover's partition is on GPT, while the stick is on MBR ? Both are formatted as FAT32...

Thanks

After reading all of the Clover Guide posts in this thread, I'm starting to think a good way for "all" the Cover information be moved to its own section of this forum, and from there Clover sub sections. That way us the users, can writeup/create own own Users guides specific to our hardware and software. The Developers having to create a "Users Guide" with all the different hardware and software combinations could be very difficult and time consuming. This would also make it much easier for new users to find the information they seek "How to get clover working on my hardware".

As a community we need to keep them "developers" working on the software, fixing bugs, creating new code the list goes one. They could write there own "User Guides" that would also be very welcome, but having a section just for Clover Bootloader User Builds will help organize the massive amounts of information, and keep from having to create a new massive Clover Guide/Instructions.

The Different sub sections can be moderated to keep people on task, and help keep the Clover Forum Section clean. We could have stickies for well written posts, a place to post Installer screen shots, configurations post for your hardware, Q & A section, development section this list goes on...

I think this would really help. More "better" information is not the answer, better organized information will help new clover users find the material they need to get started, and continue to learn about the project.

The danger of what you suggest is that you are encouraging people not to think or understand what they are doing and create even more reading, like what happens elsewhere where they offer to do things for you asking for a donation, then leave it up to others to clear up the mess they created, with all manner of points of view - the blind leading the blind would describe what you are suggesting - not a good idea...

:hammer:

Clover Easter Egg. I've only tested this while booting UEFI. Acts like holding the Option key when booting a real Mac.

I have my refit.conf timeout set to "0", this setting keeps Clover from showing the main menu and automatically boots the default drive. If you rapidly hit the right or left arrow key on the keyboard, just after the UEFI/Bios post screen, When Clover would normally be getting ready to show the main menu, it will halt the auto selection option and allow you access to the main menu as if you had the timeout set to "-0". You will now have full access to the Clover main menu.

Don't ask me how I figured this out, It just kinda happened. Now that I'm thinking about it, you might be able to just hold the Arrow key down as apposed to rapidly pressing one of them. I'll have to test my notion the next time I restart or boot my computer.

-Mrengles

I have a very strange problem with my ThinkPad W520.

My W520 works very good with Chameleon and I installed Clover with the dsdt and 8 ssdt files I used with Chameleon.

The new ML system looks very good. Everything works including sleep, reboot and shutdown.

But after the hard driver test with NovaBench, the system died when I put it to sleep.

And I also found the system would die randomly when I put it to sleep after several times sleep and waking up.

I used this W520 with Chameleon for 10 months and never found this issue before.

Can anyone help me? THX!

[New Updates]

I used the legacy mode to boot Clover this morning, everything worked fine.

So it should be the problem of Phoenix UEFI.

Edited by zhangqq

Guys ... keep in mind that Slice (and all help him) make an extraordinary effort in an attempt to documenting the project.

Who asks for a Clover F.A.Q. section.

I remind you that in the first twenty-five replies of this topic is present a section to the FAQ.

That post (Post#23 F.A.Q.) is currently a work in progress :moil:.... so

I invite anyone to write simple questions and answers that we can include in the Clover F.A.Q. post.

Fabio

• Like 3

Hey Devs,

I was just thinking. Can you guys/girls add an option to the Clover main menu to override the current Smbios settings like you have with so many other conf.plist setting?

Maybe a sub menu for SMBios were we can check off what Mac model we would temporarily like to boot with?

Is this possible? Something that would be worth adding? Would other like this feature?

I'd live to here your comments.

Thanks

-Mrengles

Have again upgrade on my pc ...

EFI firmware update for iMac EFI firmware update on your computer. The computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working electrical outlet. IMac is restarted you will see a gray screen with a progress bar indicating the progress of the upgrade. To complete the update will take several minutes. Do not disconnect or turn off your iMac during the upgrade

schermata20121125alle22.png

to any of you do the same?

Have again upgrade on my pc ...

EFI firmware update for iMac EFI firmware update on your computer. The computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working electrical outlet. IMac is restarted you will see a gray screen with a progress bar indicating the progress of the upgrade. To complete the update will take several minutes. Do not disconnect or turn off your iMac during the upgrade

schermata20121125alle22.png

to any of you do the same?

That up date won't work on a hackintosh because we use mfg UEFI and clover UEFI not apples EFI. You can try but it won't install.

No issues at all. System reboots after EFI-upgrade but nothing happens. After reboot the update can be installed again. So with other words, it just doesn't do anything.

One serious warning: Today I performed a Disk Repair on my HDD where OS X is installed (Inside Disk Utility). It 'repaired' my EFI-partition by deleting the EFI-partition and creating a new one. :(

That up date won't work on a hackintosh because we use mfg UEFI and clover UEFI not apples EFI. You can try but it won't install.

:wallbash:

Warning: don't do this upgrade, you will find when you restart the bios reset

No issues at all. System reboots after EFI-upgrade but nothing happens. After reboot the update can be installed again. So with other words, it just doesn't do anything.

One serious warning: Today I performed a Disk Repair on my HDD where OS X is installed (Inside Disk Utility). It 'repaired' my EFI-partition by deleting the EFI-partition and creating a new one. :(

In general, on a Hackintosh, we should NOT be accepting any Mac OS updates or "upgrades" because it will generally break your installation because we have specialized kexts--unless your hardware is "100%" compatible.

I speak from experience, unfortunately. Even though the statement seems obvious now, I did the recent update for 10.8.2, and paid dearly for it. Haha, even "real Apple" owners have problems.

In general, on a Hackintosh, we should NOT be accepting any Mac OS updates or "upgrades" because it will generally break your installation because we have specialized kexts--unless your hardware is "100%" compatible.

I speak from experience, unfortunately. Even though the statement seems obvious now, I did the recent update for 10.8.2, and paid dearly for it. Haha, even "real Apple" owners have problems.

The only Kext I have are FakeSMC.kext thanks to Clover. :)

• Like 1

Hey Devs,

I was just thinking. Can you guys/girls add an option to the Clover main menu to override the current Smbios settings like you have with so many other conf.plist setting?

Maybe a sub menu for SMBios were we can check off what Mac model we would temporarily like to boot with?

Is this possible? Something that would be worth adding? Would other like this feature?

I'd live to here your comments.

Thanks

-Mrengles

I think programmers have several options:

1. Having a menu item allowing people to enter the name of the config.plist (like what you have with the DSDT.aml file).

2. Break apart the smbios portion into a separate list a la Chameleon and allowing users to specify same (maybe even use the same SMBios field names).

3. Add sub-menu system per Mrengles.

1 would be simplest to program? Would allow users to preconfigure many config.plists. Later possibilities could including populating a menu with a list of config.plist's to allow selection at Clover options screen. Per my understanding, many entries in the smbios settings are mostly cosmetic, except for the model which apparently affects how the OS and other programs treats the system?

2 would allow a smaller config.plist file and, with regard to the smbios field names being the same as Chameleon, would allow people to have one smbios file they can transition from a BIOS set-up using the other tools, including the AHEM *beast tools. Does Apple have a standard smbios field name list? Maybe Chameleon needs to change? I'm sure someone eventually can create a field name converter.

3 would allow easy change to a few parameters, but more work to implement?

I personally vote for 1 or 2 because it seems like the smbios info only needs to change every once in a while? I mean, once I will have my system set-up, I will never change it because I have a laptop with almost zero configuration abilities (i.e., Utlrabook with fixed hardware). I envision constant tweaking of my DSDT (to remove things as I figure out what to let Clover handle, for example :wink2: , but maybe other people have other reasons for needing to modify the smbios all the time.

I definitely would LOVE being able to change config.plist before boot to test various set-ups out, which would even allow different DSDT to be chosen in the config.plist as that is already a field name.

Gentlemen (and Ladies):

Have been giving a lot of thought re: User's Guide and reading through the thought-out and constructive posts. From someone that's read--or at least skimmed, a lot of the past articles, it seems that Clover has grown in leaps and bounds from something that has been a "hacker" tool to something that is becoming more user friendly to common users every day (and with each revision).

With that being said, I have also seen more and more people become aware of this great tool (I certainly mention it to others because I think it's so awesome -- 3TB drives are now in the $99 range on Slickdeals! so more people will undoubtedly switch to GPT and UEFI goes hand-in-hand with it--also Windoze 8), and along with that, more "basic" user questions. I also see questions being asked in multiple forums, which leads to difficulty for users to figure out where to find information. It also seems that different forums have different audiences, with osx86 catering to "basic" users, this forum being for intermediates, and projectosx being for advance discussions.

I believe having a Wiki or central repository would be great. I have been super busy with work, but would love to help integrate everything and rewrite things to "give back" and allow the devs to do what they do best and not have to answer basic questions over-and-over again. Maybe a completely separate forum with pinned topics for each of the different parts (e.g., DSDT, What is Clover (including what is UEFI, GPT, etc.), set-up questions--i.e., getting to Clover boot selection screen, etc.) or separate sub-forums for the separate parts.

One central place for help docs and then people can ask questions in whatever forum/site they wish? <-- comments/suggestions?

My comments re: user guide has been to try and be helpful, and I appreciate the incredible amount of thought and skill that has gone into Clover.

@kynnder, I thought what you did was great from the standpoint of showing someone a pure UEFI option, so my comment was meant to support what you did. I would have probably not gotten around to uploading something, or at least taking forever about it. :-)

And, no, I don't think the current guides are "bad" or "incomprehensible", I do think (my opinion only) that it needs to be in one place and edited for translation purposes (being a ESL (English as a Second Language) person, I appreciate the difficulties in translating from Russian to English, so I am very appreciative that people have actually bothered to do so). I would just like to help organize and edit.

The set-up was only confusing because I guess I wanted to create a pure UEFI set-up, and get rid of mixed MBR/GPT (at that time I thought I was going to dual-boot with Windows 8 (bleh! since I've used it for a little bit--going back to Windows 7 UEFI if I ever install Windows again), and I didn't realize how little was needed for that set-up. Now I understand the reasons for having the BIOS boot files after knowing the difference between UEFI and traditional BIOS, but ironically it was only after understanding how simple UEFI boot set-up is (or is supposed to be) that I understand the relationship. Most users will probably be coming from a BIOS/MBT set-up for now, so I guess my situation is different though I think more users will be going to use UEFI with Windoze 8.

Will you give me help for install Clover Efi on my HP Dv7 7202 ?

Do you have OS X already running? http://www.osx86.net/10-8-mountain-lion/18893-hp-dv7-7012nr-ml-no-any-internal-hdd-partition-detected.html

Read the first few posts from this forum. You're more likely to get help if you have specific questions and more info.

• Like 1

Can someone help me make a stock mountain lion usb installer?

Every time I restore the Installer ESD.dmg to a USB flash drive and try to boot the disk using Clover UEFI I get stuck at a whitish gray screen with a spinning beach ball.

I've read the Install OS X in /EFI/doc but its not very clear.

And remover the kernalcache like the guide days does nothing to fix the problem.

My goal is to make a Stock ML installer that creates the recovery partition from the first install. If I can get it working.. I'll be sure to type up a nice guid for us Clover users.

Any ideas? The white screen is not from my GPU I've tried both gtx670 and hd4000.

Thanks

-mrengles

• Like 1

try putting fakesmc.kext on extensions

Firstly you don't need FakeSMC.kext when booting the 10.8 Mountain Lion installer. Secondly When you restore the Installer ESD.dmg The "System Folder" and all the necessary boot files are self contained in a disk image Mac OS X Base System. I've tried booting with FakeSMC.kext injected by Clover but that does not make a difference.

The 10.8.2 ML Installer USB boots, but then it gets to the main screen were you need to agree to the TOC of the OS X Installer. The entire screen is white/gray with the spinning beach ball. No amount of time waited changes this scenario.

I've boot verbos, with and without kext injection and nothing indicates a problem.

Whats weird I'm able to boot the recovery partition just find, with a few modifications. But the ML Installer being very similar to the Recovery HD cant get past the initial white screen with the same modifications.

Thanks for the help though. I owe you a coke. =)

-Mrengles

Hello World.

I need your help. I have been trying to boot of Clover for the past week with no success. I Installed the pkg to a usb stick. Had to change theme in the config file, otherwise would get a blank screen. I loaded the FS drivers into the UEFI64 directory. I have selected UEFI in the installer, under customization.

When I try and select the 10.8 partition it says UUID is = large number and then freezes.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

Liquid ice

Firstly you don't need FakeSMC.kext when booting the 10.8 Mountain Lion installer. Secondly When you restore the Installer ESD.dmg The "System Folder" and all the necessary boot files are self contained in a disk image Mac OS X Base System. I've tried booting with FakeSMC.kext injected by Clover but that does not make a difference.

Sorry sir, but you are wrong.

You always need fakesmc to boot any OSX, whether its the OS or the Installer. FAKESMC emulates the SMC chip on real macs, without it the os wont boot.

please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

ML install does not need FakeSMC. First time heard it from Trauma here (23/03/2011, some time ago). My response was:

But if Apple one day releases OSX that does (not) need some SMC fix, I would not be surprised if it gets unnoticed for a while, since we are all automatically adding FakeSMC to every install.

:)

Well, installed OSX needs it, but not installer.