[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

On my phone so can't recall the exact step but you need to install nullcpupowermanagement; the explanation of how to do it is in the guide

Thanks for the prompt reply, Rockinron.

I have the nullcpupowermanagement.kext placed in my USB in S/L/E. Should manually install it through a 2nd bootable OS?

You need to do step 3.b in the guide

My deepest apology. I assumed the underlined text as "boot with the USB" rather than "boot into".

After proceeding with 3.b, I'm now in ML. Proceeding to DSDT patching now.

Thanks a bunch for the great guide, Rockinron!!

• Like 1

Thanks for creating this guide. I have read through it even though I actually used the beast method, I guess because I was a total noob 2 days ago and it looked most eyecatching to a untrained eye ;) But some info here will help me with some issues I have I think. Made a thread in 10.8 thread that I can only boot from usb and with PCIRootUID=0 flag. With some info about chameleon and dsdt I can probably fix. Otherwise my graphics, sound and network seems to work fine

Thanks again

Dumb question, but will this boot with 1gb of ram at all?

If it did it would be laggy - I could never recommend running an OS with specs below those recommended.

Thanks for creating this guide. I have read through it even though I actually used the beast method, I guess because I was a total noob 2 days ago and it looked most eyecatching to a untrained eye ;) But some info here will help me with some issues I have I think. Made a thread in 10.8 thread that I can only boot from usb and with PCIRootUID=0 flag. With some info about chameleon and dsdt I can probably fix. Otherwise my graphics, sound and network seems to work fine

Thanks again

Boot from the usb, install chameleon (included in the attachment) -> boot from your hdd typing pciroot... -> if it panics post a screenshot if not use chameleon wizard to set the pciroot... flag permanently

Take your FireWire card out / disable it in bios if it's on board. See if it sleeps then.

With a pc installer of chameleon (afaik doesn't exist atm) you could probably make the installer on a pc but without access to a mac you can't download a copy of os x making the process illegal hence in keeping with the ethos of this forum I haven't explored that option...

I was thinking along the lines of EasyBSD.... but not sure if that will do the trick....

Have another major issue... The clock is wrong....!!! tried everything even reverting back to a non-patched dsdt and kexts.... Not sure if its a bug or an issue with the time servers. even replaced my mobo battery! Looks like I'll have to restart from scratch and install fresh to troubleshoot... put it on manual for the moment! WIll keep the firewire thing in mind...

UPDATE

Disabled firewire in Bios, Rebooted... sleep shuts down the cpu lights everything... when I wake with the mouse it seems to think about what it wants to do but instead of waking goes into the reboot cycle. Added back in SleepEnabler.kext... no difference!

2ag82gy.jpg

I don't have the hackintosh plugged in right now but just before I screenshotted the panic error. Will try the other stuff later tonight. I think I installed chameleon right but guess I need to edit some files also :) Thanks

I was thinking along the lines of EasyBSD.... but not sure if that will do the trick....

Have another major issue... The clock is wrong....!!! tried everything even reverting back to a non-patched dsdt and kexts.... Not sure if its a bug or an issue with the time servers. even replaced my mobo battery! Looks like I'll have to restart from scratch and install fresh to troubleshoot... put it on manual for the moment! WIll keep the firewire thing in mind...

UPDATE

Disabled firewire in Bios, Rebooted... sleep shuts down the cpu lights everything... when I wake with the mouse it seems to think about what it wants to do but instead of waking goes into the reboot cycle. Added back in SleepEnabler.kext... no difference!

Maybe try generate p&c states in org.chameleon... Or the sleep fix. Or disable legacy usb devices in Bios. There the basic fixes I can recall right now. Play about a bit. Not sure there's much more I can offer so if you can't get it going post to a new thread in the forum; given that it sleeps fine someone should be able to help you make it wake.

If you re-enable the firewire card and remove the _PWR event for it from your DSDT that should stop it waking the pc

hi I have a problem... when i boot the installer of ML i get a black screen after a while... I've tryied PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1 but i have the same problem how i can solve this??

sory for my very bad english but I'm italian

asus p5kpl-am se

intel pentium E6800

nVidia geforce gt220

hi I have a problem... when i boot the installer of ML i get a black screen after a while... I've tryied PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1 but i have the same problem how i can solve this??

asus p5kpl-am se

intel pentium E6800

nVidia geforce gt220

visto las ASUS P5Q están dando bastante follón, pero se soluciona con poner en Disabled el Max CPUID Value Limit.

Thanks! Did 3.b and installed a fresh chameleon. Changes some stuff in the chameleon file and got it working. However when I skipped usb loader I could not g et network working. But after finding a atheros kext, I used a kext tool and voila, now everything seems to work fine.

I wonder what to do next when it comes to optimize. Will read further about it. Thanks for the guide, it gave me alot of insight

asus p5kpl-am se

intel pentium E6800

nVidia geforce gt220

Have you tried also GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No?

I have PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Have you tried also GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No?

I have PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

i' ve tried everything... npci=0x3000 (with this it don' t stuck on pci configuration begin but after a while it return to the black screen too) graphicsenabler pcirootuid and more... but nothing

Hey,

I make the process with Iomega Prestige 2TB compatiblite with USB 3.0 and I have one P8Z68-V PRO/GEN 3, and when I connect the external hard drive to the USB 3.0 Port or 2.0 Port, I enter on UEFI/F8 and don't detect.

What I do?

Sorry for my french! :king: Thanks in advance!

Hi ron...

Started a new thread and Gringo Vermehlo is very kindly helping out there...

Thanks for all your help.

I do now that If I can get the sleep fixed for once and for all I will definitely be looking for a place to post the dsdt. There are many people with this board from what I've seen these past 2 years or so and noone seemingly has ever got a dsdt that will work as expected... or is properly explained.

Only hope we can get it resolved.

and once again as I mentioned... Not a hope of booting with the standard IOPCIFamily.kext,,, always boots without the spinner and rarely if ever gets past the [ pci config begin ] stage

With Netkas's patched file,,, boots every time and with the wheel! =)

Jakuya... it sounds to me as if you did not install the boot loader....you need to follow the instructions step-by-step. You should not need F8 or any other F key.... If your Bios is correctly set up it will see the boot loader (Chemeleon or Chimera) on boot....

Ah so the white screen is what you notice when using an ATI6xxx card. I know this series has been troublesome, though some didn't experience the issue, I was trying to see if I could be one of the lucky ones =P, though I didn't know what to look out for.

Great guide. All manual steps, the same ones I've been following all throughout Lion, and aside from the quirks of an InstallESD.dmg, this is how I've always installed OS X since 10.5. I always updated my installers too, whenever there was a new updated dmg. With Lion and onwards, it's great because the app store updates it with every point update. I'm curious if once I can get a hold of a 10.8.1 dmg, if I could see if this ATI6xxx kext permission issue is resolved.

On another note, I was getting stuck at IOACPIFamily kext KP's. I couldn't find much concrete answers, though some people have had to use patched kexts for their setups, which I'm reluctant to do. I decided to try a different dmg source, and this one brought me up to a white screen! Hah.

Hey,

I just finished installing Mountain Lion on my HP Dv9838ca except I'm having issues booting using my HDD.

I can boot using the bootloader that was installed on the USB that I used to install the OS but not directly from the HDD.

I started this thread: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=282272 to provide more detail as to what I did.

Thanks for any help!

Everything is actually working with the BeSweet Guide (a while ago) only one slight problem, is that when I shutdown the computer it turns itself on again. I have a "wake on lan from s5" feature that says next to it "power on" in Bios in gray color which means I cannot change it, I tried DSDT patcher with no luck now i'll try the DSDT editor and see if I'll fix it. thanks for the guide! :)

I used both custom DSDT(.aml) and DropSSDT and I still have the same problem, if there's a fix for it, please let me know. this problem happened to me on both Lion and Mountain Lion, but it never happened in L or SL. (probably because of the variety of kexts such as OpenHaltRestart & EvOreboot)

As a ATI6000 user, I was dreading the workaround for getting past the white screen. Found another user with a neat trick. To quote him:

Solved all my 6870 problems by reinstalling without removing any kexts using a SATA HD instead of a USB dongle, then, when you get stuck at the white screen with the mouse cursor, just press the power button to put the computer to sleep, and wake it back up. after that the apple installation screen magically pops up.

Note that I still used a usb flash drive, though the trick works well for me. Also, sleep needs to be able to work, so no nullcpupowermanagement.kext for the installer. Lastly, since you'll be sleeping it, and since my setup requires the cmos reset patch, it will reset the cmos at next restart =P. No biggie though.

Sleep is only required to work for 69xx series AFAIK, certainly 68xx series don't need to sleep to access the installer it you've removed the kext. Also the sleep fix didn't work for my hd6870; but with fixes like this its all a bit hand-wavey anyway so if it works for you then great!

Everything is actually working with the BeSweet Guide (a while ago) only one slight problem, is that when I shutdown the computer it turns itself on again. I have a "wake on lan from s5" feature that says next to it "power on" in Bios in gray color which means I cannot change it, I tried DSDT patcher with no luck now i'll try the DSDT editor and see if I'll fix it. thanks for the guide! :)

I used both custom DSDT(.aml) and DropSSDT and I still have the same problem, if there's a fix for it, please let me know. this problem happened to me on both Lion and Mountain Lion, but it never happened in L or SL. (probably because of the variety of kexts such as OpenHaltRestart & EvOreboot)

Open org.chemeleon.boot.plist and check the restart fix, failing that If evoreboot fixed your problem last time then try it this time as well.

Well I'm on a 6850 here, and the trick worked for me.

On another note, I updated Cham on my drive (so won't have to use the usb installer) to boot my 10.8 install, and while it works great, it no longer boots my Lion install.

Went from build 1627 to 2048, any insights anyone? Will have to rollback to get to it.

Edit: Reverted, all is back. What's strange to me is that I used the same 2048 for both a ML usb installer, and a Lion 10.7.4 usb installer. The other thing I may have done simultaneously was path my AppleRTC.kext, but that wouldn't cause it right? Bah.