• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

Farelle

Farelle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I read on Cnet news, that the quad cores will be for dual-processor servers. So that does mean that there wont be any quad-core models for boards like the iMac.

Did you get to work the 7900 card, as im really interested in finding out if itll work as im getting the iMac soon.

Thnx!

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I spoke to some developers who work with Intel that stated the quads will be used in several areas. The Xeons will be quad as well as the desktop and laptop to follow.

As for the 7900, I have yet to install it. I'm waiting on a possible firmware hack from the 7600 that might let the apple use it. Like I said before, the first card I tried did not work in the OS X mode, but did function under XP.

henry z

henry z

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Mine came with a Seagate 250. I replaced it with a Maxtor 500. The few people I have talked with thet got 500s installed from Apple, said they were Maxtor 500s. SATA II 16 meg cache drives with 7200 rpm only due to heat issues.

Also you can upgrade the old Intel core duo with the cor 2 duo processor. So if you get a cheap deal it's worth it. The new 20s are the machine with a newer processor. Sam socket and everything else.

where is the hard drive? can't see it in your pics... was it easy to install...

thanks,

henry

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
It is very easy to see and change, you are looking at the bottom of the hard drive in my pics.

henry z

henry z

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

It is very easy to see and change, you are looking at the bottom of the hard drive in my pics.

thanks... i see now... i assume the hd is screwed in somewhere to the imac...

had a question on ram upgrade... sounds like the cheapest option is to go through apple (2 gigs for $175)
rather than a 3rd party like owc (2 gigs matched pair for $270)....

any thoughts...

thanks,

henry

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Two gig is a great option if you are not using large files in PhotoShop and such. The hard drive has a plastic clip screwed into it that clips into a metal part on the iMac frame. It's so simple you would have to be a complete computer novice to mess anything up. It's very simple to work on.

henry z

henry z

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Two gig is a great option if you are not using large files in PhotoShop and such. The hard drive has a plastic clip screwed into it that clips into a metal part on the iMac frame. It's so simple you would have to be a complete computer novice to mess anything up. It's very simple to work on.

thanks again... yeah will be using ae and fcp - editing film and video projects... will use as a transportable unit, working over seas ... nice screen size and great for editing hdv and mini dv...

acutally, owc is providing a $70 rebate for the built in ram on the 24" imac and macconnection is offering $150 rabate on the imac so i'll peace meal the intel duo... i'll end up saving about $300 using macconnection and owc... so the final configuration will be 2gb of ram and a 500 gb seagate...

thanks for the photos and info - very helpful... good thing i googled - the apple guy at the apple store said that replacing the hd was very difficult... right....

thanks,

h

spbcat

spbcat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Caslon, I have a little request to you.
Can you extract Russian.pkg (System-->Installation-->Packages) from the install disk of Mac OS X, which comes with your iMac?
And put it, for example, to www.depositfiles.com or www.rapidshare.de

lev

lev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Aloha everybody,

first of all thanks for this great thread. It answered a lot of my questions. But I would also like to add one myself.
This one is for Caslon.

In your pictures I cannot see how the Display is connected inside the imac. If it were simply with something like an internal dvi connector you could easily hook up the imac to, say a mac pro once you want to upgrade your hardware. That way you would not loose that beautiful display and could use it with the new mac.

any thoughts???

bye,
lev

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
there are two connectors for the LCD panel. One on either side of the memory banks.

lev

lev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So I guess one is for power and one for the video input. Were you able to identify the shape of the video input connector???

lev

Don Luca

Don Luca

The Random Factor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Oh my... this is really interesting!!!
Calson, if you manage to discover what kind of video input the 24" has, we can hook a TV-Box and trnasform our Mac in a Multimedia Center!
And it would be great!

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
The connector is very much like an IDE hard drive connector, just not as big.

That's funny Don Lucha. I have no idea why anyone would mess with the display. You can already hook it up via the Mini DVI connector. Besides, I would use a Mac Mini for my media center, not an iMac.

Don Luca

Don Luca

The Random Factor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
err... I'm afraid you misunderstood...

The mini-DVI on the back of the iMac is a Video-out connector...
If I undestrood well, the connector you were talking about is a Video-In connector... which means I can hook external devices and use the 24" iMac's monitor to watch TV or play with my PS2...

lev

lev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I agree with Caslon concerning the media center. Still, with the imac you can do that already via some elgato-toy (watching tv I mean)

!!! But as far as I know you cannot hook up the imac to a different mac and use the imac's display for that new mac.
You can only mirror/expand the imac's desktop via the imac's mini-dvi-out

That's why it would be interesting to know if the internal connector (which ,I suppose, feeds the video signal into the imac-tft) can be replaced by the dvi-out of another graphics unit...

EDIT: sorry, went to take a coffee while composing the message. Did not notice that Don Luca responded in the mean time :-)

JeffDM

JeffDM

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I read on Cnet news, that the quad cores will be for dual-processor servers. So that does mean that there wont be any quad-core models for boards like the iMac.Thnx!

In a word, no. You probably will not be able to convert any current iMac to a quad core.

The quads coming this year will be for servers & workstations and there will be a high end desktop version. The problem is that the iMac uses mobile chips, which has a different socket than the the desktop chips. There will eventually be a mobile quad chip, but the socket is going to change to a different mobile socket before then.

Farelle

Farelle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well that sux, i guess the only upgrade option we have to look into is that graphics now.

Caslon

Caslon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I think we will have to wait and see what Apple does. Two years ago no one would have thought there would be a dual processor iMac and yet here it is.

lev

lev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry to be a pain in the a$$ ;-) but are there any news on the display-connector-front? Do you recall the shape or have some fotos you did not post so far?

thanks,
lev

odedia

odedia

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Yeah, i'm wondering that myself...

I just ordered a near-maxed-out 24" iMac, and I would love to know if the screen will be usable in the future, and if the graphics card is replacable for the 7900 or other cards in the future.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy