CMOS Resets by AppleRTC.kext

rayap

69 posts in this topic

With the new AppleRTC kext version 1.5, got rid of CMOS Resets on my setup with this perl script [Edit: for arch=x86_64].Basically jumps over the checksum updates.

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /Extra/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

AppleRTC.kext v1.5 does not jive with Lion when in E/E (multi boot); leave it in S/L/E .

• Like 3

Hi rayap - We meet again :)

Well done with your quick work here, though to be honest I haven't tried it yet as I don't even have ML installed. But at least I know where to come if and when I need it.

Regards

blackosx

EDIT:

This does the job nicely. Thanks rayap.

• Like 1

I'll need to check this out, but I believe rayap's edit allows for auto sleep and the original from Riley Freeman's post does not.

-Stell

EDIT: Auto-sleep works before patching AppleRTC in 10.8 DP1. However CMOS reset still occurs without patching. I'd like to see a KEXT that can override this edit altogether, but I'll save that for smarter men.

• Like 1

I applied this old Lion fix to mine and it seems to have worked too. Yours is a bit more compact though.

Thanks for testing it (so I won't have to) :)

It actually isn't less compact. The reason it is longer is to avoid matching on some relative address jumps that tend to change if the source code is changed so it's not completely accidental that it works :) In addition it patches both the 32-bit and 64-bit kernel.

Ah, thanks for the info tseug. I usually run in 64-bit mode so didn't notice that the other patch only works on the 64-bit kernel. I'll have to test yours for sleep as I don't use it. I only wanted the CMOS reset fix.

None of the patches are designed to do anything to sleep. They only fix the CMOS reset.

Hi,

Strangley none of these fix CMOS reset after sleep for me.

I patched the AppleRTC in place on the seperate drive I've installed 10.8 onto. rebuilt caches etc, but still get a cmos reset.

These patches have worked fine for me in Lion. Hmm.

Jon

Hi,

Strangley none of these fix CMOS reset after sleep for me.

I patched the AppleRTC in place on the seperate drive I've installed 10.8 onto. rebuilt caches etc, but still get a cmos reset.

These patches have worked fine for me in Lion. Hmm.

Jon

works now, I don't think I rebuilt the caches properly first time.

Thanks

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
A few days ago when I installed DP-2 I spent some time trying to get the Opening Post patch to work reliably with the DP-2 kext but it never worked for more than one sleep/awake cycle. I gave up and used the patched DP-1 kext. After reading your post I tried again several times but no joy...

Cycled thro 'Total Sleep/Wakes since boot:4' and rebooted without problems.

Patch works fine in ML dp2 p5k plain.

Before patching, when restart in lion, cmos reset. because fsb went up ridiculously.

This time in ML, it didn't make cmos reset. but it lowered the fsb from 333 to 280.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Again, it seems like the patch in the Opening Post is working for AppleRTC.kext in DP3.

Unless I'm mistaken, or have forgotten about some other patch I've applied somewhere, I no longer need to patch the AppleRTC binary for 10.8 DP3. Rebooting after a sleep/wake cycle now performs normally without any CMOS error.

Can somebody else check this on their setup?

Maybe is the wrong place, sorry please.

Unless I'm mistaken, or have forgotten about some other patch I've applied somewhere, I no longer need to patch the AppleRTC binary for 10.8 DP3. Rebooting after a sleep/wake cycle now performs normally without any CMOS error.

+1. But here now in 10.7.4 (11E52) on sandy bridge laptop. Vanilla AppleRTC (1.5), and I just have the fix IRQ8 out of Device:

Device (RTC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                   Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0070,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0070,             // Range Maximum
                           0x01,               // Alignment
                           0x08,               // Length
                           )
/*
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {8}
*/
                   })
               }

Same here, and I acctually don't need it in 10.7.3 either. Got a Asus P8Z68-V LX and the 3k version of the UEFI-BIOSes for Asus z68-boards seems like made for hacks.

Have you changed AHCi to ESB2?

Have changed ICH10 to ESB2, I don't need patch AppleRTC.kext anymore, both 10.7 and 10.8

• 4 weeks later...