Apple applications soon coming to Windows

nikongeek

47 posts in this topic

I know this forum is meant for MacOS X either on Apple or x86 hardware, but I just happened to notice that Apple has made an "Apple Software Update" tool for Windows. The iTunes 7.0 installer remarked that it was for "iTunes and other Apple software".

No reason to have a separated update tool if Apple only has one application available for Windows (quicktime not included).

Which MacOS applications do you want to see come to the Windows operating system?

Personally, I would be ecstatic to see some iLife '06 apps or the Studio apps show up... they are a great solution for some basic needs on Windows. I noticed the updater, too nikongeek, and I believe they will be adding some Windows apps soon.... We can only wait and see.

I don't want to see any on windows, degrades mac, there's to many mac hater's out there. and the more apple's genius migrates the windows the more it degrades mac itself. but i guess more money makes anyone happy.

I don't see that providing the 95% user base out there with some nice useful tools as degrading mac. The mac hardware will stand on it's own. Apple had to do it to sell the number of iPods they have to date. So, Apple should just be a niche player?

So as to not be platform biased, I'd like iTunes, Quicktime, and iChat AV on Linux too, please :-)

Won't happen. iTunes and Quicktime only got ported so the poor Windows users could a] play QT content and b] buy from the iTunes Music Store. They have no reason to take the other apps into Windows development.

You seem pretty sure.

I'm not so sure. There seems to be an opportunity here to allow other OS users to use .mac ( a very seamless blogging, podcasting, photo publishing, movie publishing site using the iLife apps), and maybe leverage the tremendous success of places like myspaces.

I pray to god none, but there's evidence that Safari will soon be ported to Windows (such as the fact that the WebKit SVN is now Windows compatible). I don't hope for anymore, but I expect iChat will be, too. None besides these will be ported, I'm sure.

I pray to god none, but there's evidence that Safari will soon be ported to Windows (such as the fact that the WebKit SVN is now Windows compatible). I don't hope for anymore, but I expect iChat will be, too. None besides these will be ported, I'm sure.

Safari is being ported to Windows, but not by Apple. There's a little open-source project in beta called Swift that is working on getting the WebKit engine working on Windows with a decent user interface. Honestly, as I said before, why on Earth would Apple port Safari? They would gain nothing by that.

Safari is being ported to Windows, but not by Apple. There's a little open-source project in beta called Swift that is working on getting the WebKit engine working on Windows with a decent user interface. Honestly, as I said before, why on Earth would Apple port Safari? They would gain nothing by that.

*sigh* Swift is being developed by one of my friends, Zim (Chris). How do you think he was able to create a UI around WebKit? Because Apple Ported WebKit.

My feeling is that the statements that "Apple Won't" and "Apple would NEVER" are all very much too strong, and unless we have inside information, saying never is bound to bite.

So let's review:

Quicktime was available for Windows to allow Windows users to view Apple's QT movies.

Apple introduced the iPod with Mac iTunes, and the consencous was that Apple would tie the iPod to it's computers, then Apple released iTunes for Windows to allow Windows users to buy and use iPods.

When rumours of Apple switching to Intel processors surfaced, the cry was never, but the transition happened and is going rather smoothly. The Mac OSX and Mac hardware experience is still in tact.

The hackers started on trying to get Windows to run on these Intel Mac machines, and the cry was blasphemy, why would anyone want to do that. Apple then released Bootcamp to make it easier.

So, here we are today. Apple is enhancing .mac to create more services such as web spaces, podcasting, backup, sync, etc. Apple is also on the verge of releasing new hardware, in the shape of possibly a Phone, a TV console, and maybe a larger widescreen iPod.

While this is all good, Apple are not going to sell a lot of these things, unless they also include the Windows world to partake in these wonderful gadgets, as they did with the iPod.

What would be needed to enhance the experience of Windows users that want to buy in to the Apple experience with these new devices. I do not claim that these are accurate, rumors, or otherwise, thery are only my thoughts on what Apple might need to create, to drive wide adoption of these devices.

Phone (possibly with built-in camera, and tunes player). iTunes is already available for the tunes player, but things like iCal, AddressBook, etc would also be useful and very handy for the phone purchaser. If the Phone has a camera, what better way to collect the pics then with iPhoto.

Widescreen Movie playing iPod (wonder if this will also have a camera built-in). iTunes is the major application for this device, with tunes, games, tv shows, and movies all feeding in. What about creating my own content for this device? iMovie maybe? photos? I have a recorded movie of my kids 1st birthday that I bring to the office or to the grandparents home, how do I create the content so that iTunes can sync it to the device, when I'm a Windows user. If you just limit this device to Mac users, then you limit the market to sell this device into. Having the user collect all kinds of third-party apps and freeware to do it, is not the experience that Apple is pushing.

iTV, nice device, great for playing content on my mac. What about content on my Windows machines? How do I view that? Maybe Windows iTunes can be upgraded to stream content in other formats to the iTV, as an example recorded TV from an MCE box, or a MythTV box, or a TIVO box. But wait, the iTV can show pictures in slide show format from you pictures folders, or is that your iPhoto folders.

.mac. Interesting service, but not widely used, why? Because only Mac users can use it. Does Apple want to expand out this service, and go head to head with Microsoft and their Communicate Live service? Maybe, maybe not. I can think of at least iChat AV. But if they do want to expand, then think of the applications needed to attract Windows users to this service. iWeb? I'm sure you'll come up with a few.

Great success for the iPod was achieved when Apple let Windows users in to the fold. Some are converts to Mac as well. To achieve large successes with these other devices, I believe Apple will do the same. They're smart, they want to be the market leader in these devices, but won't if they are only tied to the Mac platform. Some software has to cross-over for this to happen, and you can't stick everything in to iTunes.

Don't be a smartass. I knew apple would move to intel and I was called an idiot on PearPC forums. iLife is a software package that is one of the main points apple uses to switch, so why put it on windows? They won't.

Heh.. I'll prolly have to apologize. I was most likely one the people that called you an idiot over there back then.

*sigh*

I Hope that Nothing of ilife of mac apps go windows, thn those mac haters will get it and be like "Thats the only thing apple is good for" and no one will really get a mac, iLife is one of the best apps on OS X

apple made itunes for windows so they can sell so many ore ipods, if they didnt then what? they would have sold like 100 ipods

*sigh* Swift is being developed by one of my friends, Zim (Chris). How do you think he was able to create a UI around WebKit? Because Apple Ported WebKit.

I know quite well what Chris is doing. And I know that it took a decent amount of work on his part to even get WebKit to compile on Windows. But the fact you're missing is that WebKit (read: not Safari) is an open-source project. The work they're doing to make it compile properly on Windows is being provided by 3rd-party contributors. I'm sure that Apple (as an organization) could honestly care less if WebKit compiled and ran on Windows.