[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

What is the best way to go about enabling proper wifi? Does the Atheros AR9280 AR5BHB92 work well in ML or is there a better option? Is it difficult to install? (doesn't appear too bad from this page - http://support.lenov...ocID=MIGR-74460).

Would using an Expresscard slot adapter be better?

I using a AR9280 (Half size minipcie, [168c:002a]) and it gets detected automatically. I still have to check if it's running at full speed though, I have a full size AR9390 (but needed space for the wwan card) and I had way better speeds on file transfers.

BTW, joshhh is there a reason there is no ThinkpadUltraNav.kext in the T410 package (or any other package, for that matter)? Is it not working properly? (Ok, I just found it inside the VoodooPS2Controller.kext)

The Track Point is not working for me

I might consider using a full sized card then, since I don't think I'll ever need the WWAN card. Although the one you suggested is a bit pricey compared to the half sized one.

There's also this http://www.ebay.co.u...N-/170834184793 which certainly looks like it's identical to the other cards. So it might fit fine.

Do you know if the speed problem is to do with that particular chipset or half sized cards in general?

There is a list of current half and full size WLAN cards working native in OSX

I use Atheros AR5BHB92 (Atheros 9280) in my T510i

And one important remark about full size cards in all lenovo lineup - WWAN slot is only USB or USB+mSATA capable on Lenovos, there is no mini-PCIe lines in WWAN slot - so full size cards won't work at all. Only way to drive it is to make some mini-PCIe cable extender for WLAN slot and place connected to that cable card instead of WWAN.

Half size cards

Atheros AR5B93

- 802.11 b/g/n

- single-band: 2.4GHz only. МасOS up to 150 Mbps, Windows up to 300 Mbps.

- PCI-id [168c:002a]

- Native in Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 и 10.8. AirDrop Works.

Atheros AR5BHB92

- 802.11 a/b/g/n

- dual-band: 2.4GHz + 5GHz. МасOS up to 150 Mbps on 2.4GHz and up to 300 Mbps on 5GHz, Windows up to 300 Mbps on both bands.

Broadcom BCM94322HM8L

- 802.11 a/b/g/n

- dual-band: 2.4GHz + 5GHz. МасOS up to 150 Mbps on 2.4GHz and up to 300 Mbps on 5GHz, Windows up to 300 Mbps on both bands.

- PCI-id [14e4,432b]

Full size cards

Atheros AR5BXB92

- 802.11 a/b/g/n

- single-band: 2.4GHz only. МасOS up to 150 Mbps, Windows up to 300 Mbps.

Broadcom BCM94322MC

- 802.11 a/b/g/n

- PCI-id [14e4,432b]

Atheros AR5BXB112

- 802.11 a/b/g/n

- dual-band: 2.4GHz + 5GHz. МасOS up to 225 Mbps on 2.4GHz and up to 450 Mbps on 5GHz, Windows up to 450 Mbps on both bands.

- MIMO 3x3 - three antennas for 450 Mbps needed

- PCI-id [168c,0030]

full size card is not a good idea for Lenovo

I might consider using a full sized card then, since I don't think I'll ever need the WWAN card. Although the one you suggested is a bit pricey compared to the half sized one.

There's also this http://www.ebay.co.u...N-/170834184793 which certainly looks like it's identical to the other cards. So it might fit fine.

Do you know if the speed problem is to do with that particular chipset or half sized cards in general?

To get max speed from AR9280 you need dual band router set up N mode at 5GHz so real speed about 100-150Mbps will be reached

Don't know if AR9390 will work at all in OSX. I had AR9380 450Mbps full size card and it works fine in OSX but doesn't fit Lenovo and don't work in WWAN slot as I explain. But you can try to place your full size card in WLAN slot without screwing card and test it, mine AR9380 works like that. Maybe OSX will work with it or maybe Atheros40.kext needs some device id edits for it...

ThinkpadUnav.kext from VoodooPS2Controller little modified by me to match Voodoo virtual devices and works together with trackpad. So this version of Unav won't work alone or with other version of VoodooPS2/ApplePS2 or something else in combination

I using a AR9280 (Half size minipcie, [168c:002a]) and it gets detected automatically. I still have to check if it's running at full speed though, I have a full size AR9390 (but needed space for the wwan card) and I had way better speeds on file transfers.

BTW, joshhh is there a reason there is no ThinkpadUltraNav.kext in the T410 package (or any other package, for that matter)? Is it not working properly? (Ok, I just found it inside the VoodooPS2Controller.kext)

The Track Point is not working for me

• Like 1

Hi Joshhh,

first, thanks a lot for your work, building a DSDT, collecting kext's and writing a small installation-guide.

I've installed Lion on my T410 i7 with NVidia/256 and it works mostly perfect. Lion is 10.7.5 and BIOS is updated to the latest original-lenovo 1.44.

But I do not get any sound-output from the internal speakers, if I plug in headphones I have sound as expected. Any idea?

And some other questions:

How can I check if speedstep and powermanagement are working correctly? The hardware-monitor shows me the temperatures around 50°C, the CPU toggles between 1,2 and 2,66 GHz, sometimes I also see other frequencies and the GPU also changes it's frequency. Can expect that it is working as it should?

What is about bluetooth, should it work oob? If yes, is there a way to test it? The system profiler tells me that it can't find any information about bluetooth.

And finally, what are the Wifi-option we have today? Either you have to flash the BIOS to a version with removed whitelist or you have to use a USB-wifi-stick.

So the best card I think is half AR9280 or possible AR9380 3x3 MIMO up to 450mbps on 5ghz. I ordered AR5BHB112 AR9380 card few weeks ago for replacement of AR9280.
You recommend the AR9280, but this has only 2 connectors, while the build in Intel has three of them. I don't expect much speed with three antenas, but probably the signal might be stronger.

You already got your "Atheros AR5BHB112 AR9380" and have experiences if it works with your ThinkPad on Lion?

Thank you very much for your tips,

mac4tp

About sound:

To check your configuration I need IORegistryExplorer dump + sound dump from Ubuntu live CD, possible your T410 config may little differ from common

About CPU:

CPU power management works if you see frequency changes and see in system log in console application lines like this

Nov 15 09:51:29 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 0035

BT:

BT should definitely works OOB but in some cases it should be enabled in windows by FN+F5 or its also possible to enable it un live cd Ubuntu when its completely loads into unity desktop

Wi-Fi:

I used a lot of time officially unsupported but working Atheros AR9285 half-size module, typically its a/b/g/n but with only 1x1 MIMO max speed on N is about 75Mbps something like G 54Mbps in most cases. But my one was locked to a/b/g modes only cause N was draft in release time and some vendors lock N mode (like ASUS in my case). Finally it works with small device Id edits.

Also I know AR9283 should work, but it also works only with edits.

USB Wi-FI dongles may be good idea for desktop computers. And I still have Dlink DWA-140, in OSX it gives 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz mode and its good. But it uses its own software to connect and its incompatible with AirDrop and one USB is missing with it.

So best idea is any half-size module from list I posted yesterday.

I got both half Atheros AR5BHB112 and full Atheros AR5BXB112. Since BXB is used in current iMacs it works fine. But BHB has different layout and some elements and it doesn't work. OSX detects it OOB but cant connect to any network and log connection initialization errors. So don't try BHB at all.

Best one for lenovo I think only two cards: Atheros AR5BHB92 or Broadcom BCM94322HM8L

Hi Joshhh,

first, thanks a lot for your work, building a DSDT, collecting kext's and writing a small installation-guide.

I've installed Lion on my T410 i7 with NVidia/256 and it works mostly perfect. Lion is 10.7.5 and BIOS is updated to the latest original-lenovo 1.44.

But I do not get any sound-output from the internal speakers, if I plug in headphones I have sound as expected. Any idea?

And some other questions:

How can I check if speedstep and powermanagement are working correctly? The hardware-monitor shows me the temperatures around 50°C, the CPU toggles between 1,2 and 2,66 GHz, sometimes I also see other frequencies and the GPU also changes it's frequency. Can expect that it is working as it should?

What is about bluetooth, should it work oob? If yes, is there a way to test it? The system profiler tells me that it can't find any information about bluetooth.

And finally, what are the Wifi-option we have today? Either you have to flash the BIOS to a version with removed whitelist or you have to use a USB-wifi-stick.

You recommend the AR9280, but this has only 2 connectors, while the build in Intel has three of them. I don't expect much speed with three antenas, but probably the signal might be stronger.

You already got your "Atheros AR5BHB112 AR9380" and have experiences if it works with your ThinkPad on Lion?

Thank you very much for your tips,

mac4tp

• Like 1

Hi joshhh,

thank you very much for your response.

To check your configuration I need IORegistryExplorer dump + sound dump from Ubuntu live CD, possible your T410 config may little differ from common

This is how I created the dumps:

ioreg -lw0 > ioreg_dump.txt
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > codec_dump.txt
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 >> codec_dump.txt

I attached both files plus an lspci to this post.

This seems to be some quite interesting information about creating hardware-dumps on Mac OS:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=359

But it seems that I have an other small problem. While shutdown, reboot and suspend/resume are working correctly, it seems that I can not wake up the system if it fails to sleep by himself after long time. Any idea?

BT should definitely works OOB but in some cases it should be enabled in windows by FN+F5 or its also possible to enable it un live cd Ubuntu when its completely loads into unity desktop
Yes, it's working. I had to enable it in Windows.

OSX detects it OOB but cant connect to any network and log connection initialization errors. So don't try BHB at all.
Too bad, because this would have been my favorite choice.

Best one for lenovo I think only two cards: Atheros AR5BHB92 or Broadcom BCM94322HM8L
OK, thanks, so I will look for the Atheros or for the USB-stick.

Thanks again for your great support.

lspcivv_t410_2522-3fg.txt

ioreg_t410_2522-3fg.txt

codec_dump_t410_2522-3fg.txt

I just want to confirm that the minipcie slot on the T410 is working with a Atheros 9380 full size card bought from eBay, more specifically:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9300 Wireless LAN adaptor [168c:0030] (rev 01)

The details are in this page: http://www.sparklan.com/product.php?func=view&prod_id=181

just in case someone has troubles finding a half size card or has another one lying around :-)

Hi all,

managed to rip hard disks from my T510 and install a small one (40Gb) to test this out. I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] on USB and booted and installed just fine (onboard mouse/keyboard working). Video I cannot confirm but seems ok. In short tried various combinations of the kext files here and tried to follow most of the conversations but totally lost. With Ethernet cable connected it works most of the times but seems to loose connection now and then.

Is there a guide for a clean install with Mountain Lion? The video assumes existing installation.

Also I cannot get battery, sleep, audio, wifi (from what i've read on-board card will not work), plus the ethernet connection seems unstable.

Tried following the instructions on the video as well as installing the kexts via Kext Utility. None seem to make a difference. If I add the Extra folder from latest update it doesnt boot (btw, still booting from Usinbeast USB - haven't installed a bootloader)

Should I be using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ?

Any guide on these would help.

(re-installing for the 7th time after messing up kexts - any way of rolling back ???)

10X

Notification about whitelisted bioses. There was my miss in whitelist patch that affected WWAN cards. WLAN with this patch works great but I missed to remove WWAN card check. So WWAN cards won't work in full size slot. But it's not a problem, I've already patched and fixed my miss and now WWAN cards works great too...

Bios updates will be released within few days...

Few screenshots from system profiler with Sierra MC8781 WWAN card, it works great at 3G HSPA speed

post-120553-0-50706500-1353746968_thumb.png

post-120553-0-29409900-1353746974_thumb.png

joshhh - any chance that your whitelist BIOS fix can applied to for T420? the latest is 1.41 (or 1.42).... i would like to put a full size wireless card in that slot in the bottom... so far any of the whitelist bios i have tried -- the system still just seems to ignore the presence of this card. the card is AR5BXB72. thanks.

I think I can patch T420/520/W520 bioses. It's not so difficult, but I think T420 bottom mini-pcie slot is only USB+mSATA as I see on pic from notebookcheck

there is some WWAN card Ericsson or Gobi installed

post-120553-0-99679200-1353767737_thumb.jpg

So three is no chance to use this card in WWAN slot and you need to replace your Intel WLAN located under keyboard

joshhh - any chance that your whitelist BIOS fix can applied to for T420? the latest is 1.41 (or 1.42).... i would like to put a full size wireless card in that slot in the bottom... so far any of the whitelist bios i have tried -- the system still just seems to ignore the presence of this card. the card is AR5BXB72. thanks.

Just so I don't leave my question hanging, I did in the end manage to get most things running. I basically skipped some files from Extra folder and tried one by one the Kext (with back each time) to ensure all was well. Been running 10.8.0 for the past 3-4 days happily (no battery yet but sound is there). May look to upgrade to 10.8.2 but first want to have a solid backup to avoid any headaches.

Thanks to all for the effort here. :thumbsup_anim:

Install Update and rollback AppleACPIPlatform and AppleHDA before reboot

Just so I don't leave my question hanging, I did in the end manage to get most things running. I basically skipped some files from Extra folder and tried one by one the Kext (with back each time) to ensure all was well. Been running 10.8.0 for the past 3-4 days happily (no battery yet but sound is there). May look to upgrade to 10.8.2 but first want to have a solid backup to avoid any headaches.

Thanks to all for the effort here. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Lenovo ThinkPad T510i 4314-6BG

Core i7 640M 2,8Ghz (upgraded from Core i3 330M 2,13GHz)

8gb Ram

Nvidia NVS3100M 512mb

Connexant 20585 AppleHDA

Airport Atheros 9280 b/g/n (upgraded from Intel WiFi Link 1000)

Intel 82577LM Gigabit LAN

1920*1080 AUO B156HW01 V5 95% Gamut (upgraded from 1366*768)

OSX 10.8 GM, 10.7.4

Geekbench - 6550

Hi Josh, really great what you're doing here :thumbsup_anim:

I want to ask what model of T510 you have or can you give the specs?

Install Update and rollback AppleACPIPlatform and AppleHDA before reboot

Thanks joshhh !

Will do.

Also, any suggestion as to why battery is still reporting "no battery available"? (it would help with time machine and automatic backups as with battery always reporting 0% backups don't run)

Thanks again

First off, thanks for all the hard work Joshhh!!

I tried this yesterday on my W510 and everything went pretty smooth using your files. I had to install the PXHCD.KEXT found on page 9 to get USB 3.0(super speed) working.

I am using Clover-boot with your attached files.

I ordered the Atheros AR5BHB9 and hopefully it will just work when i get it.

The only 2 things I dont have working are the SD Card Reader and Adjustable Brightness.

For the SD Card Reader it sounds like no one has gotten that to work and to be honest, i dont care much about it. But for the Adjustable Brightness i have tried using the DSDT.aml from the "Extra" folder of your "W510-Files.zip" as well as the other DSDT.aml file from your https://www.dropbox.com/s/rd1mninhu0jyqfk/DSDT-for-Thinkpads.zip since mine is the

W510 with Quadro 880M but the FN+home/end doesnt affect brightness once the Mountain Lion Login screen appears. I've read about a slider in the "Display settings" as well, but don't see it. Unplugging the laptop doesnt affect it either.

Is FN+home/end still the correct hotkeys? Sorry for the ignorance (I'm a hackintosh noob), but should i be doing something with the .DSL files? I am unsure of their purpose.

Lastly, how do i know or how can i tell if speedstep and turbo are working?

Thanks again!

skforty,

Usually the brightness control is mapped to ScrLk and Pause. You can remap brightness control to whatever keys you want in Mountain Lion in System Preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts/Display

If you don't see the slider for Brightness in System Preferences/Display, it's probably not working.

I have the same question about SpeedStep myself. The only tools I have to definitively test this are from previous hackintosh installs and are 32-bit only. I can say you'll see a big difference in CPU temp compared to when it's not working.

• Like 1

Brightness controls is binded to ScrLk/Pause by VoodooPS2. Its impossible to bind Fn+Home/End to do this because this combo doesn't generate any key codes and talk with bios WMI features only available from Windows, so we can't use it at all...

About speedstep and boost - see in boot log text like AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement success and Turbo Ratios 0035. First one is for speedster, second is for boost. OSX doesn't show boots ratios in monitoring software.

First off, thanks for all the hard work Joshhh!!

I tried this yesterday on my W510 and everything went pretty smooth using your files. I had to install the PXHCD.KEXT found on page 9 to get USB 3.0(super speed) working.

I am using Clover-boot with your attached files.

I ordered the Atheros AR5BHB9 and hopefully it will just work when i get it.

The only 2 things I dont have working are the SD Card Reader and Adjustable Brightness.

For the SD Card Reader it sounds like no one has gotten that to work and to be honest, i dont care much about it. But for the Adjustable Brightness i have tried using the DSDT.aml from the "Extra" folder of your "W510-Files.zip" as well as the other DSDT.aml file from your https://www.dropbox....r-Thinkpads.zip since mine is the

W510 with Quadro 880M but the FN+home/end doesnt affect brightness once the Mountain Lion Login screen appears. I've read about a slider in the "Display settings" as well, but don't see it. Unplugging the laptop doesnt affect it either.

Is FN+home/end still the correct hotkeys? Sorry for the ignorance (I'm a hackintosh noob), but should i be doing something with the .DSL files? I am unsure of their purpose.

Lastly, how do i know or how can i tell if speedstep and turbo are working?

Thanks again!

skforty,

Usually the brightness control is mapped to ScrLk and Pause. You can remap brightness control to whatever keys you want in Mountain Lion in System Preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts/Display

If you don't see the slider for Brightness in System Preferences/Display, it's probably not working.

I have the same question about SpeedStep myself. The only tools I have to definitively test this are from previous hackintosh installs and are 32-bit only. I can say you'll see a big difference in CPU temp compared to when it's not working.

Brightness controls is binded to ScrLk/Pause by VoodooPS2.

(mostly) cool and monitor preferences are bound to Alt/Opt + ScrLk :-)

Decreasing the brightness with ScrLk works, while increasing with Pause does not, any idea?

You already has been able to build a current (1.44) BIOS for the T410 with disabled whitelist for Wifi and WAN?

And finally, did you found some time to look into the logs I attached in post #209 to eventually give me a hint how to get working the sound with speakers?

Thanks a lot for your brilliant work,