[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

My future eGPU for T510=) GTX280 1Gb for Adobe Premiere CS5/6

post-120553-0-41842100-1340174060_thumb.jpg

I'm curious how you plan to use that as an eGPU? Through the mini pci-e?

I did a bit of research on eGPUs before and concluded that it wouldn't be possible with the T510, so perhaps there is something I missed.

edit: after a bit more googling, looks like it is doable. Still wondering what you might personally be using for it though. I have a GTX260 I might connect up.

לילה טוב

I've just cut my latest DSDT a bit, removed a lot of useless MS code contained WMI methods and functions. Size of decompiled DSDT reduced from ~550kb to ~380kb

In process of cleaning DSDT I figured out that we don't have native methods to control LCD brightness. No brightness levels, no methods, methods I though control brightness was useless and not called from any part of code.

So brightness control and USB lost after sleep is our TO DO now

Also I at last upgraded my cpu from i3 330m 2.13 GHz to i7 640m 2.8 GHz. Works fine and I got about 6550 points in GeekBench instead of 4500 on i3 cpu.

Some issues with roots from Lion and some new

My own

1) Chameleon show incorrect cpu speed in ATM window 2.79 instead of 2.80ghz as Clover's do

2) Don't know how to check is TurboBoost working well with my replaced cpu - i7-640M 2.8 GHz

With HWMonitor I got only one +1 state for now -> 2.8 GHz + 133 MHz = 2.93 GHz

By Intel specs for i7-640m should

be 2.8+133+133+133 (+3 states) = 3.2 Ghz for two cores

and 2.8+133+133+133+133+133 (+5 states) = 3.46 Ghz for one core

• custom SSDT with all cpu states drops cpu settings to 2.8 Ghz max, no boost at all
  • dropSSDT option lock cpu at 1.2Ghz, no speedstep at all, and no boost too

Possible not only my

3) Don't know why but in about 15-30 seconds after wake from sleep laptop freeze and only reset helps. So all working programs lost data

Really don't know why is that happens. No errors in system log after reboot

Also I've compiled from GIT repo new versions of FakeSMC and Hardware sensors kexts + HWMonitor bar application

4) WIth new FakeSMC and plugins I can't get FAN speed RPMs in iStat and HWMonitor, possible only few edits in DSDT is required, need to check

5) Is not issue but a note - as ML complete is 64bit OS so it's better to use 64bit only kexts to generate proper kextcache (not all Apple's kexts is fully 64bit, but less than 10 of them contains i386 part, other is complete x86_64 )

I used system app to cut off i386 part of all T510 specific kext and now cache could be generated flawlessly

With following terminal commands you can check your own cache

Step 1)

sudo chown root:admin /

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

If there is no errors in log after that - cache is generated

So next step is only some library and permission fixes for working OS volume

Step 2)

sudo chown root:admin /

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -debug -force -root /

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -root / -force

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

After all terminal commands in Finder go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

and remove any files contains i386 in filename. Then reboot with your new kextcache

Yes usage of eGPU on T510 is possible via ExpressCard and via miniPCIe. TOLUD limit is enough to run GPU well so only problem is to connect it.

I want to use it 50/50 for games and acceleration in Adobe Premiere CS6 if it wold be possible and take advantage through 1x link.

On motherboard we have one unsoldered miniPCIe and AIDA64 from win shows one unused slot, if slot is working I could get 2x link when replace my WLAN card and connect to cables to eGPU

I'm curious how you plan to use that as an eGPU? Through the mini pci-e?

I did a bit of research on eGPUs before and concluded that it wouldn't be possible with the T510, so perhaps there is something I missed.

edit: after a bit more googling, looks like it is doable. Still wondering what you might personally be using for it though. I have a GTX260 I might connect up.

Little update for previous post

1. About speed step and turboboost

If TurboBoost is working in system log you see something like this

8/1/12 11:52:22.000 AM kernel: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 0035

8/1/12 11:52:22.000 AM kernel: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: (built 23:03:24 Jun 24 2012) initialization complete

8/1/12 11:52:22.000 AM kernel: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

DropSSDT=Yes

GenerateCStates=Yes

GeneratePStates=Yes

in chameleon.boot.plist should be enough to make speed step and boost working. No more need to patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

2. Fixed my latest cutted DSDT for fan rpm detection

3. Checked NVMT section, no result, just boots and no changes, brightness is still 100%

New kext pack with dsdt in attachment

Old ones

ACPISensors.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IntelCPUMonitor.kext

NVClockX.kext

Should be removed and replaced with new

ACPISensors.kext

CPUSensors.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NouveauSensors.kext

Lenovo-T510-10.8-GM-Install-update-1

hm... too many errors like:

com.apple.kextd[12]: kextcache error while updating / (error count: 26)

com.apple.kextd[12]: /: kextcache has had enough tries; not launching any more

and cannot create/recreate kextcache by itself.

but i think it's because of kext IntelCPUMonitor. : IntelCPUMonitor.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.

OK, I deleted it, but now a cannot monitor CPU speed (by SMC Monitor or HWMonitor)

And another errors in log every minute:

Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2175 (and 3095)

But sound works perfectly

Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2175 (and 3095) is not fixable for now, I'll try some

possibilities but not sure this help

Use new FakeSMC and its modules, IntelCPUMonitor is from old ones

ACPISensors.kext

CPUSensors.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NouveauSensors.kext

remove old ones, marked blue, and after that cache should be recreated well

Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2175 (and 3095) is not fixable for now, I'll try some

possibilities but not sure this help

Use new FakeSMC and its modules, IntelCPUMonitor is from old ones

ACPISensors.kext

CPUSensors.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NouveauSensors.kext

remove old ones, marked blue, and after that cache should be recreated well

Yes, I replaced kexts, and that's why i wrote it =)

Errors started after i did it =)

• 2 weeks later...

My post today is not so software specific but it's fine

If your T510 is a switchable graphics version with Intel HD' date=' then suggest disable the NVS3100M and run it with an NVidia Fermi or Keplar card for maximum performance.

[b']Lenovo T510 can run a [port3+port4] x2 link[/b]

If you have only the NVS3100M version then to get decent smoothness would require running a x2 link. The schematic shows it has port1=wifi/mPCIe, port3=UWB/mPCIe, port4=expresscard. So you could run a [port3+4] x2 link.

Wrong wrong wrong

Let's show you my T510 PCIe config

0_99556_fb7832bf_XL.jpg

Port #1 is empty, but this is not WWAN miniPCIe slot, WWAN slot is only USB+mSATA capable, so no x2 link with this!

So where is x1 port?

Right down tour touchpad, see picture

Slot #1 is unsoldered, so to get it working you should solder it and use after

0_99555_60323dde_XL.jpg

There are few ore questions about this motherboard - what is unsoldered slot pins right from PCH - there are about 50 pins on each side ~100 both. Maybe this is also PCIe lanes from chipset? QM57 has 8 x1 lanes - 4 (#1, #2, #4, #5) of them is cards and devices, #3 is possible sound controller, #6 is possible LAN(not sure about lan cause its

use chipset PHY port so 8 PCIe lanes may be untouched ) Maybe its 7th-8th lanes of PCH? If so is there some way to use it or simply test what kind of signal on it?

0_99557_19e73159_XL.jpg

UPDATE: Based on info from block diagram

Physically:

#1 WLAN > AIDA #2

#2 Our unsoldered slot > AIDA #1

#3 WWAN > AIDAs missing #3

#4 ExpressCard > AIDA #4

#5 Ricoh CardReader+FW > AIDA #5

#8 GLAN

So even with this info we got ports 6-7 unused there

Hope I'll have much time to finish this job tis month, solder this bracket and try to run my GeForce GTX 280 as eGPU with my CPU modded T510 and OSX

Hey joshhh and all of you guys. I have a couple of noobish questions, I hope I wont annoy you, but if I will sorry about that.

So the questions are:

1. I have a T510i laptop with integrated graphics only (on a i5 430m CPU), will I be able to run Mac OS in that case?

2. Does the latest "Short installation guide for OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion" can be used for the 1-st time Mac OS install on my t510i or is it only an update manual and I have to have an already working machine with previous Mac OS version?

Thank you for your answers.

Received old Intel iMac 17" IR-Receiver yesterday. Solder it today to USB connector and it just works!

Controlling iTunes and VLC well with my exMacBook Pro unibody 2008 white IR controller

0_997f9_20cc7254_XL.jpg

0_997fa_1ee96f51_XL.jpg

Next step is to place it inside laptop

Hi folks! I think I've found a way to control brightness on boot(for now just set predefined level, not 100% on each boot) of laptop lcd in ML. It's DSDT dependent and I upload it tomorrow when test it a bit harder

OK about brightness:

I can set screen brightness on boot if I add method to LCD0 device

Method (_BQC, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (0x1E)

}

0x1E is sample hex value of 30%, max value is 0x64=100%

next, I should remove pwm-info value from gfx DSM method so osx can control and set brightness on boot

Downside of this - we can't control brightness no more with hotkeys

Continue digging with this issue

Bonus: dsdt with some optimizations

DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 1

Wow! That's interesting! Can you post screenshot with LCD disabled?

Only way I figured out how to use only external displays on T510 is to mod NVCAP in dsdt, but its not fully tested

If you need my EDID from my internal T510 Display with 1600x900px, here you find it.

If anyone remember, i wanted to use only the external display. I found a solution: ScreenResX

With this tool i was able to disable the internal display.

1600x900 T510 LED.zip

EDIT with sort of fix:

Apparently Apple only supports DVI output on a PCI card. I unplugged my VGA monitor (with adapter) and now the card works.

So I plugged the VGA monitor into my laptop VGA output and it works with all 3 screens. Although it's a little inconvenient to switch cables around for booting another OS, this is pretty cool.

What I don't understand, is that VGA worked fine when I was on Leopard. Did they actually decide to remove functionality in later versions?

I'm going to keep working a bit on it and see if I can drive both monitors with the eGPU.

Hi joshhh, following on the conversation about using an eGPU - I've managed to get hold of a PE4H and done some testing with a GTX260. While it works well in Windows and Linux, Mountain Lion does not want to play nice with it. I'm not entirely sure if it is possible at this moment, although I am making threads in other places asking for advice.

The funny (and frustrating) thing is, the GTX260 is detected and listed in System Information along with the NVS, but none of the displays are detected and the vram is listed as being 1MB only (which may not make a difference, but it is a bit strange).

Here though - http://www.tonymacx8...html#post409185 it suggests that someone has got it all working with a very similar setup, the difference being that the internal graphics card is Intel and ours is Nvidia.

Of course, booting up with the Intel card enabled instead in BIOS does not work at all for me.

This thread - http://forum.noteboo...xperiences.html suggests that the device ID must be added to NVDAGF100Hal.kext, but that hasn't helped for me (besides, the card is already detected, just not working).

I've had this GTX card working in Leopard before (after installing Nvidia drivers which should all be included in ML now) so I can't see any reason for it not to work, but it'd be good to do some more testing and see if it is actually possible, especially before people go out and spend money on their own eGPU setups.

I'm wondering if something needs to be added to the dsdt file, but that is beyond me.

Hm...

About 3 displays

Both 3 displays works in osx? I'm right? LCD + VGA + DP outs?

The eGPU problem I think is chameleon. Don't know what revision of chameleon support dual and triple nvidia cards. Need to test it. 1Mb ram of card tells that card is not loaded by drivers at all.

So to solutions for eGPU - check chameleon with dual nvidia or add another nvidia section to dsdt.

EDIT with sort of fix:

Apparently Apple only supports DVI output on a PCI card. I unplugged my VGA monitor (with adapter) and now the card works.

So I plugged the VGA monitor into my laptop VGA output and it works with all 3 screens. Although it's a little inconvenient to switch cables around for booting another OS, this is pretty cool.

What I don't understand, is that VGA worked fine when I was on Leopard. Did they actually decide to remove functionality in later versions?

I'm going to keep working a bit on it and see if I can drive both monitors with the eGPU.

Hi joshhh, following on the conversation about using an eGPU - I've managed to get hold of a PE4H and done some testing with a GTX260. While it works well in Windows and Linux, Mountain Lion does not want to play nice with it. I'm not entirely sure if it is possible at this moment, although I am making threads in other places asking for advice.

The funny (and frustrating) thing is, the GTX260 is detected and listed in System Information along with the NVS, but none of the displays are detected and the vram is listed as being 1MB only (which may not make a difference, but it is a bit strange).

Here though - http://www.tonymacx8...html#post409185 it suggests that someone has got it all working with a very similar setup, the difference being that the internal graphics card is Intel and ours is Nvidia.

Of course, booting up with the Intel card enabled instead in BIOS does not work at all for me.

This thread - http://forum.noteboo...xperiences.html suggests that the device ID must be added to NVDAGF100Hal.kext, but that hasn't helped for me (besides, the card is already detected, just not working).

I've had this GTX card working in Leopard before (after installing Nvidia drivers which should all be included in ML now) so I can't see any reason for it not to work, but it'd be good to do some more testing and see if it is actually possible, especially before people go out and spend money on their own eGPU setups.

I'm wondering if something needs to be added to the dsdt file, but that is beyond me.

Could you make some screenshots and photos with it?

Well, I have no idea why this has worked. I swapped the DVI and the VGA/Adapter around on the eGPU and now it all works perfectly.

I guess the DVI has to be in the first slot and VGA in second.

Thanks goodness it was all an easy fix in the end.

Ok I'll add it to my reminder. Make it tonight

Hi,

Could you patched the 10.8 HDA kext for W520 again?

I tried many times to port 10.7.4 to 10.8 but all failed.

THX!!

Hi there,

i got an ThinkPad x121e. ML is working fine, but I got some truble with sleep. I am using a DSDT I once patched. I also patched sleep but it is not working without SleepEnabler. But SE unloads my ThinkPad Ultra Nav kext every time. Can someone maybe tell me how u got sleep on T510 gona work? Maybe u can give me your working DSDT mod.

Thx

XmodD

Proper combination for sleep is:

1) patched HPET, TIMR, RTC, PIC sections

2) patched EHCI/UHCI sections

3) patched AppleLPC kext to match chipset id

4) removed NullCPUPowerManagement, SleepEnabler

5) patched AppleRTC kext to solve CMOS reset after sleep

After that sleep should work

my latest DSDT is few posts above

Hi there,

i got an ThinkPad x121e. ML is working fine, but I got some truble with sleep. I am using a DSDT I once patched. I also patched sleep but it is not working without SleepEnabler. But SE unloads my ThinkPad Ultra Nav kext every time. Can someone maybe tell me how u got sleep on T510 gona work? Maybe u can give me your working DSDT mod.

Thx

XmodD

OK about brightness:

I can set screen brightness on boot if I add method to LCD0 device

Method (_BQC, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (0x1E)

}

0x1E is sample hex value of 30%, max value is 0x64=100%

next, I should remove pwm-info value from gfx DSM method so osx can control and set brightness on boot

Downside of this - we can't control brightness no more with hotkeys

Continue digging with this issue

Bonus: dsdt with some optimizations

DSDT.aml.zip

This new dsdt.aml doesn't work on my T510. I still have 100% brightness on boot, and the shortcuts to adjust brightness are still there.

I can upload this dsdt with brightness setup but you'll lose ability to control it

This new dsdt.aml doesn't work on my T510. I still have 100% brightness on boot, and the shortcuts to adjust brightness are still there.

Seems like I've generated a new (although minor) problem in ML and I'm not sure how.

If I boot with UseKernelCache enabled, I'll get a kernel panic related to kernel_task (or the text will just freeze after a few seconds).

This only happens if I'm using the dsdt.aml provided here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=274218&view=findpost&p=1833466

if the dsdt file isn't there then it boots fine, but of course I lose sound and battery monitoring.

Funnily enough it was working before, until I removed it to test something else, and then put it back later on.

It's only a minor problem. I can live with a few extra seconds of boot time, but it's worth mentioning anyway.

I have no KP at all, but have dead freeze on resume from sleep

I think it's related to version of bios and version of dsdt. Since I suffer from random freeze after sleep I'll tray to check older dsdt from 10.7 system(need to mod some devices to ensure compatibility with latest kexts)

You can try to test dsdt from this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=274218&view=findpost&p=1845663

Seems like I've generated a new (although minor) problem in ML and I'm not sure how.

If I boot with UseKernelCache enabled, I'll get a kernel panic related to kernel_task (or the text will just freeze after a few seconds).

This only happens if I'm using the dsdt.aml provided here http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1833466

if the dsdt file isn't there then it boots fine, but of course I lose sound and battery monitoring.

Funnily enough it was working before, until I removed it to test something else, and then put it back later on.

It's only a minor problem. I can live with a few extra seconds of boot time, but it's worth mentioning anyway.