[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

lenovo lion t510 osx mountain lion

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
If you try to do 10.8.2 clean install osx should start with fakesmc and replaced ACPIPlatform, other kexts is not so important to start osx, but some devices won't work without it

I don't know what apple did in 10.8.2 update but since it installed osx can't even boot with native ACPIPlatform (10.8 can do) it stuck at some cpu detection code in log. I tested it on my dev ML installation and it stuck after that

So beware install and reboot osx after update without rollbacking ACPIPlatform

Hmmm not really.
The only kexts I've seen updated are not the ones provided by Joshhh.
Anyway, I've copied over the ones provided again with no luck.
Right now, even the safe mode won't start.
There's a change however. There's no activity indicator [finally remembered how this damn thing is called ;) ] when loading the system, and the HDD led blinks from time to time.
So I'm testing my patience to see if it will boot eventually.

EDIT:
no luck... I've tried installing OS again and performing update without applying kexts/dsdts and... no luck as well.
Damn :/

Any thoughts?

sledgehammer89

sledgehammer89

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
I have 10.8.2 running like 10.8.0. Even the small update for 10.8.2 is installed.

paulee

paulee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Joshhh firstly thanks for putting such an excellent guide together. I have followed your steps on my W510 using the dsdt you posted for the W510 (renaming it to dsdt.aml and copying over the dsdt.aml you had zipped up in the Extra folder. I boot to the bootloader and enter the "-v -f npci=0x2000" value. The drive boots but stops at the end of loading the .Kext files and appears to lockup (CapsLk stops working)

The final 3 messages on screen are:

[ PCI configuration begin ]
[PCI configuration end, bridges 1 devices 15]

The machine then stops and does not continue.

I am very keen to follow your method as I would like to get my shutdown/sleep/hibernate to disk functions working. I have been trying a few other methods to get the machine working but so far everything is working - except the power management and battery functions. If I can get your method working I think I'll be there - bar the hack on the Bios to allow me to use an intenal Wifi card).

Can you suggest what might be going wrong? Have I dont the right thing by copying the other w510 dsdt.aml into the Extra folder and overwriting yours?

What causes the hang at this point normally?

Thanks again for all your inputs on this approach - looks ideal for me to learn more on.

Paul

paulee

paulee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Also can you advise where I can get a whitelist w510 workable Bios to allow me to use a different Wifi card?

Re. the dsdt.aml file - I have been searching all over for a newbie's guide to help me understand this in more detail. I am assuming the dsdt.aml may well differ from machine to machine based on the Bios levels etc. Should I run a dsdt editor in Windows and import the dsdt you have posted and recompile it? What is the right way to get a correctly configured dsdt.aml (sorry for my lack of knowledge in this space). Can you point me to any good infosource on both dsdt.aml and approached to create a whitelist/w510 bios (or better still direct me to a bios already having it done!)

Thanks

Paul

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hello Paul!

I can patch latest bios and remove whitelist from it. Also you can flash now latest version of bios and get dsdt from working machine, most of parts in dsdt should be the same but memory allocation regions may differ. So you can get it from live cd ubuntu or from AIDA64 in windows

About

[PCI configuration end, bridges 1 devices 15]

in common situation this may be FakeSMC error or maybe or AppleACPIPlatform, wold be great if you make photo of boot log so I can get more details from it

Also with Clover bootloader there is a way to boot completely without dsdt with DSDT patch mask 0xFFFF in boot menu - button O. It could be installed on USB flash latest version, attached below

Also can you advise where I can get a whitelist w510 workable Bios to allow me to use a different Wifi card?

Re. the dsdt.aml file - I have been searching all over for a newbie's guide to help me understand this in more detail. I am assuming the dsdt.aml may well differ from machine to machine based on the Bios levels etc. Should I run a dsdt editor in Windows and import the dsdt you have posted and recompile it? What is the right way to get a correctly configured dsdt.aml (sorry for my lack of knowledge in this space). Can you point me to any good infosource on both dsdt.aml and approached to create a whitelist/w510 bios (or better still direct me to a bios already having it done!)

Thanks

Paul

Attached Files

paulee

paulee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hi Joshhh

here is a pic of the hang.

You mention USB. Should I copy the file onto the hard drive I have been building the image with?

Paul

I've installed Aida64 but not entirely clear what I should extract. Here is the HW report for the machine.

I've also extraceted the DSDT and attached.

Attached Files

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
In AIDA64 on left bottom side right click ACPI submenu - and something like extract tables or dsdt extract

Are you definitely boot with -v -f npci=0x2000 with no quotes? Possible npci=0x3000 may help instead of 0x2000

Hi Joshhh

here is a pic of the hang.

You mention USB. Should I copy the file onto the hard drive I have been building the image with?

Paul

I've installed Aida64 but not entirely clear what I should extract. Here is the HW report for the machine.

I've also extraceted the DSDT and attached.

krst

krst

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I have 10.8.2 running like 10.8.0. Even the small update for 10.8.2 is installed.

Are you running on T410? If so, can you share your kexts/dsdt?

paulee

paulee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

In AIDA64 on left bottom side right click ACPI submenu - and something like extract tables or dsdt extract

Are you definitely boot with -v -f npci=0x2000 with no quotes? Possible npci=0x3000 may help instead of 0x2000

Joshhh I have made some progress since my last message. "The machine is now booting to DSMOS has arrived"! I have tried setting GraphicsEnabler=no but it still just stops there. When I boot to the single user/command line I dont have a keyboard. I think have finally worked out how to extract the DSDT.bin ( :thumbsup_anim: ) and have added it to this post. Slowly getting there I think.Here is my DSDT

Attached Files

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
OK here is little modded dsdt for memory and gfx

boot with graphicsenabler=yes this time

Joshhh I have made some progress since my last message. "The machine is now booting to DSMOS has arrived"! I have tried setting GraphicsEnabler=no but it still just stops there. When I boot to the single user/command line I dont have a keyboard. I think have finally worked out how to extract the DSDT.bin ( :thumbsup_anim: ) and have added it to this post. Slowly getting there I think.Here is my DSDT

Attached Files

paulee

paulee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

OK here is little modded dsdt for memory and gfx

boot with graphicsenabler=yes this time

I have renamed the .aml file to dsdt.aml and copied it into the extra folder. graphicsenabler=yes makes not difference to the behavior. Does the cloverleaf boot option need to have dsdt.aml specified? It have an option for DSDT with a value "BIOS.aml" next to it....

The symptoms I am seeing are still the same. THe machine's keyboard stops taking inputs when the ACPI stuff kicks in. I am using the voodoops2controller from the .zip files you shared. Is there another one I should be using?

Can you confirm the full string I need to use?

right now I have been using

-v -f graphicsenabler=yes npci=0x2000 (and also 0x3000)

I have renamed the .aml file to dsdt.aml and copied it into the extra folder. graphicsenabler=yes makes not difference to the behavior. Does the cloverleaf boot option need to have dsdt.aml specified? It have an option for DSDT with a value "BIOS.aml" next to it....

The symptoms I am seeing are still the same. THe machine's keyboard stops taking inputs when the ACPI stuff kicks in. I am using the voodoops2controller from the .zip files you shared. Is there another one I should be using?

Can you confirm the full string I need to use?

right now I have been using

-v -f graphicsenabler=yes npci=0x2000 (and also 0x3000)

Progress. I used -v -f graphicsenabler=yes npci=0x4000 and was able to boot to the GUI. Still no keyboard and trackpad/trackpoint I dont have a spare USB keyboard :os

I've used the voodoops2controller.kext you shared in your guide. What other options are there for me to try? What are the .kext files I need to replace in order to get the internal keyboard/trackpad and trackpoint working?

themusicalduck

themusicalduck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Has anyone tried out the firewire with ML yet? According to System Information, the firewire is detected:

FireWire Bus:
  Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

I'm considering buying an audio interface and just wondering if it's worth trying out a firewire one.

Also, been getting occasional NVDAResman.kext kernel panics lately in 10.8.2. Not sure if it's because of the eGPU or something else. It generally just happens when doing something pretty simple.

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I can try to connect my old dv camcoder to ieee bus tomorrow and check it. I think it should work fine

And I also had one kp related to video drivers after 10.8.2 update once after wake from sleep. more than two weeks with no kp or freezes at all

Has anyone tried out the firewire with ML yet? According to System Information, the firewire is detected:

FireWire Bus:
Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

I'm considering buying an audio interface and just wondering if it's worth trying out a firewire one.

Also, been getting occasional NVDAResman.kext kernel panics lately in 10.8.2. Not sure if it's because of the eGPU or something else. It generally just happens when doing something pretty simple.

themusicalduck

themusicalduck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

And I also had one kp related to video drivers after 10.8.2 update once after wake from sleep. more than two weeks with no kp or freezes at all

Could be onto something there. The laptop went into sleep mode while I wasn't there, before I had remembered to disable it in power settings. Although the KP didn't happen until a little while after wakeup. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Thanks for offering to check the firewire. It'll be good to know if it works properly.

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
DV camcoder works well

Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-10-21 at 20.09.19.png   99.37KB   38 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0508-.jpg   404.18KB   29 downloads

I think its also possible to use IEEE port as network adaptor as I did a lot time before with my first generation 15" unibody macbook pro and desktop hackintosh

Could be onto something there. The laptop went into sleep mode while I wasn't there, before I had remembered to disable it in power settings. Although the KP didn't happen until a little while after wakeup. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Thanks for offering to check the firewire. It'll be good to know if it works properly.

Attached Files

themusicalduck

themusicalduck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the info on the firewire. Good to see it works.

What is the PXHCD.kext attachment for? Is that related to firewire? Google suggests it is to do with USB 3.0.

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thats for w510 with usb3.0 for another forum member

Thanks for the info on the firewire. Good to see it works.

What is the PXHCD.kext attachment for? Is that related to firewire? Google suggests it is to do with USB 3.0.

paulee

paulee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Joshhh I had to install the Cloverefi 750 bootloader to get the machine to boot from the MBR partitioned drive. The machine has Windows 7 on one partition and OSX on the other. They both now boot up okay (with no USB attached) - but I have noticed the hibernate feature in Windows does not recover from Hibernate when I attempt to boot using the Clover EFI loader. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? Do I need to specify the DSDT.aml generated from Windows in the boot options and switch off all other options/fixes? What is the trick here? Why would the bootloader be impacting the recover from hibernate windows 7 function?

P

paulee

paulee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Thats for w510 with usb3.0 for another forum member

Joshhh the kext loaded (shown in KextWizzard as loaded) but none of the USB devices attached to the USB3 ports are seen.... (according to the report I posted earlier it is a "NEC uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller") Is this supported by the Kext? (Later on in the report it also lists it as " Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller 2.1.19.0 Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub 2.1.19.0

But I think this may be the problematic Windows driver incorrectly reporting it. (it regularly drops out from Windows and needs to be disabled/re-enabled in device manager (a common/known issue on the W510 with the older NEC chipsets).

I note on the osx86 thread on the text the following "It works with Renesas and Etron ( which requires adding 0x70231b6f to IOPCIPrimaryMatch in Info.plist ) on 10.7/10.8." Do I need to add anything into the Info.plist to get this Kext to work with this device?

In the OSX's Hardware Info it shows the device as :

USB Super-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
Host Controller Driver: PXHCD
PCI Device ID: 0x7fb400000194
PCI Revision ID: 0x7fb400000003
PCI Vendor ID: 0x7fb400001033
Bus Number: 0xdc

It's not seeing any USB3.0 drives attached. >>> It IS seeing USB2.0 drives!

More research... Seems to be an issue withe the way the controller is handshaking USB3.0 devices (happens with all USB3).

Paul

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hello folks!

Finally I have good news about brightness restore on Lenovo laptops and OSX. With latest revision of Clover bootloader we're able to store and restore screen brightness after reboot or shutdown. Now I'm waiting stable release of Clover to make package files for our laptops.

Stay tuned!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lenovo, lion, t510, osx, mountain lion

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy