macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

Sure, I followed the instructions from Brabbelbla on the previous page.

You'll need the modified bios posted in an earlier post in this topic.

@Zpecter

Can't really think of anything else than a wrong DSDT. You could try to replace your current one by the latest one mackyreddy posted in his package. Think they were updated, but don't know.

@webcivilian

Alright. DSDT is no problem at all. I am using the DSDT from mackyreddy too. Both work. To be absolutely clear to everyone: what I am going to write now, is about setting up Clover for UEFI booting mode, not 'regular' Clover, and it only works in this exact way for this laptop.

1. Get the Clover UEFI-only package, can be found here, and extract it. For trying Clover, it is best placed on a single-partition MBR USB drive. This must be a FAT32 partition. Get mackyreddy's kext pack, and the Lx02X package from here.

2. Add EmuVariableRuntimeDxe.efi found here to EFI/Drivers64UEFI on the USB drive. The drivers in that folder are there because the UEFI boot mode of our Phoenix Technologies', and many other firms', firmware ('BIOS') does not perfectly fit in with OS X and some sort of a transition layer has to be provided.

3. Extract InstallESD.dmg to yet another USB drive, extract System/Library/Extensions from BaseSystem.dmg inside InstallESD.dmg to this USB drive. Add required kexts (FakeSMC, USB3, keyboard etc., whatever you need) to S/L/E.

4. Place the DSDT and the SSDT tables for your model in the EFI/ACPI/patched folder on the Clover drive.

5. Edit the config.plist file in EFI: specify the name of your DSDT file, make it drop OEM SSDT tables, generate C-states and enable GraphicsInjector. Clover will detect the best SMBIOS for your laptop, probably MacBook Pro 8,3, which it will return to OS X. If you use mackyreddy's NVIDIA-off DSDT, you also have to provide the DeviceProperties string that in in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in his kext pack. My config.plist is attached: config.plist.zip

6. (Re)boot your Lx02X, enter BIOS setup, enable UEFI boot under Advanced -> Boot Configuration. From now on the machine will, for every device, try first to boot in UEFI mode, and if nothing is found it will try in BIOS/Legacy mode.

7. Insert the Clover USB drive and boot it. Insert the OS X install USB drive, Clover will recognise it, press space and boot "...with extra kexts (skips cache)".

8. Do whatever you want inside the installer, for instance, like you said, convert the drive for OS X to GPT with Disk Utility, and make it move the files to the partition you want. About the partition layout: Disk Utility will create an EFI system partition as first partition, on every GPT drive it partitions. You will then add an OS X partition, and the OS X installer will create a recovery partition. That's it. AFAIK the recovery partition can be deleted; you probably won't use FileVault.

9. Copy mach_kernel and the S/L/E folder from your installer USB drive to the partition where OS X is to be installed.

10. Restart, boot Clover and then OS X Install "with extra kexts" from the partition concerned. Let installation take place. It returned "Installation failed" to me, but that's not a problem.

11. Make sure mach_kernel and boot.efi are present in the root of your OS X partition. Else, copy them.

12. Boot Clover, then OS X "with extra kexts". Delete OS X Install Data from the partition, install the kexts from mackyreddy's kext pack, just to be sure you have everything, except for VoodooBattery. Run the Lx02X installer package, only install the IOAHCIFamily patch and SmartBatteryManagement. Repair kext permissions and delete caches as described here. From now on, you should be able to boot using kernelcache, so you won't need to boot "with extra kexts" anymore.

Maybe I forgot something, but I think you should now have a working Hackintosh installation, on a GPT drive, with UEFI boot. Quite a guide it has become. If this all works, you can move Clover to the EFI system partition on your second (or first, 'Mac') HDD, but I will not describe that now.

Let me know if you need more direction. I had to do this a couple of times as I deleted too many kexts and had issues rebuilding the cache.

Once you have it up and running you can use these directions to get Clover to boot from your HDD instead of the USB: http://www.projectos...682

I was not able to get my Clover shell to work, I get this error : Assert_Efi_Error (Status = Device Error) (line 431 in autogen.c) so I used the directions to copy the EFI in OSX.

After changing to Clover my Geekbench Score went from around 8200 on Chameleon to 10969 on Clover...big difference.

Hope this helps.

@raviji and @jjbravo

1) What bootloader are you using? I had the same issue. To fix this you need to download the latest version of Chameleon Wizard (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257464-chameleon-wizard-utility-for-chameleon/) and Kext Wizard. (google, don't use the ones from Kext pack)

• First run the Kext Wizard and install all the kexts again in SLE
  • Run the Kext Wizard and only fix the permissions.
  • Run the Kext Wizard and only rebuild cache.
  • Reboot with -v -f flags
  • If for some reason your keyboard/trackpad or USB 3 does not work only re-install those kexts.
  • Now run Chameleon wizard and install the latest bootloader from Dropbox (click the Dropbox tab on top) onto your ML partition.
  • In Chameleon plist add 'Use KernelCache' using the Chameleon Wizard. Save the changes.
  • Restart your computer but with the flags: -v -f
  • Everything should be normal no artifacts.
  • Now restart again with the flag: -v
  • If you see "Still Waiting for Root Device" then force shutdown the system.
  • Again boot with the flags: -v -f
  • Download and install bcc's patch (link: http://www.insanelym...some-disks-fix/) script using Terminal by running the perl command and the script location.
  • Run the Kext Wizard and only fix the permissions.
  • Run the Kext Wizard and only rebuild cache.
  • Now restart again with the flag: -v
  • Everything should work and you can start ML without any flags.

2) For USB download the 1.0.10 PXHCD.kext (google). This solved all my problems except when waking from sleep, you have to re-plug the device.

3) I would use the eSATA/USB port for the WiFi dongle (bluetooth now). Works great on that port, every other port gives me some issue (with the doogles) on both Windows and OS X. Or you could buy and install Dell DW1510 half mini card (eBay, Amazon, Dell). It works natively on OS X.

My system will not go to sleep automatically when power is plugged in. It works while on battery or if I close the lid.

Thanks bro! My artifact problem solved by following your instructions :)

Now hopefully I can get clover thingy working :)

@ webcivilian

I'd be happy to, but I simply followed the other guides on this thread. Is there any specific instructions you're looking for? Or are you stuck at one of the instructions?

Sorry, I'm happy to help. Just don't want to repeat what others have already explained.

@ jjbravo

Did you start with a fresh build? Did you create Clover partition or you used the partition created by ML? I guess I'm looking for the best way to start. Can you post your clover config files.

1. I created a USB Fat 32 MBR partition, copied the EFI folder from UEFI x64 only link above.

2. I added the DSDT.aml file from the Nvidia Off DSDT to the EFI/ACPI/Patched folder.

3. I added the config.plist from step 5 above.

4. I changed my bios to boot UEFI and I tested the USB drive to make sure it booted up.

Once I confirmed that the clover could boot. I continued with making another USB drive following the steps on the first page skipping steps 13 + 14, 17 + 18 + 19 + 20.

The installation failed at around 3 min remaining for me because I deleted too many kexts (I got a little generous when deleting some of the IOFireWire ones), so it was unable to create the cache.

Before rebooting the installation for the next steps I opened a Terminal and deleted/copied the kexts on the newly installed drive. (The installation installs the out of the box kexts again, so they need to be cleaned up and the ones I copied on the USB install have to be put on the HDD) Also remember to fix permissions on these.

Then I rebooted and finished the install. Once finished I followed the guide to put the EFI files into the EFI partition on the HDD so I didn't need the USB EFI boot again.

I read somewhere, they said Quickset is used to call by BIOS, now it was controlled by ACPI, so we need to play around with ACPI options in BIOS setup. Because I reverse my system back to BIOS so I can't check with UEFI. If you guys still on UEFI, I wonder if you could check the ACPI options and try to reinstall quickset on windows 8 to see if it fixed?

I read somewhere, they said Quickset is used to call by BIOS, now it was controlled by ACPI, so we need to play around with ACPI options in BIOS setup. Because I reverse my system back to BIOS so I can't check with UEFI. If you guys still on UEFI, I wonder if you could check the ACPI options and try to reinstall quickset on windows 8 to see if it fixed?

Installing the quickset software one windows 8 on UEFI setup causes a hard lock of the system. Ive tried several times never to any success.

• Like 1

Installing the quickset software one windows 8 on UEFI setup causes a hard lock of the system. Ive tried several times never to any success.

so you did tried some ACPI options in BIOS setup? dell needs to do something with this problems

@Lil W

ACPI exists both in BIOS mode and in UEFI mode. Some pages earlier, TimeWalker said that it probably is the WMI device, of which I have no idea what it is. My idea is that Dell included a fix for this in the Compatibility Support Module (CSM), used for BIOS/Legacy boot, but not in the UEFI itself, as it is not supposed to be used. Meddling with ACPI settings is a bad idea, and I haven't seen anything interesting/related.

@TimeWalker75a

What did you mean when mentioning the 'WMI device'? The only things that came up when I searched for it, were Windows-related, which the 'freezing' problem is not. Pressing Fn+F2 in OS X causes the machine to freeze just as in Windows.

EDIT: No, it is not purely Windows-related. Of course. Still, would you mind to explain a little?

@All

Do any of you know of a (Clover-compatible) installer version that installs OS X directly from the environment booted from the external media? With me, the procedure is as follows: boot from external media -> select hard drive to install to -> copy installer files to hard drive -> boot from hard drive -> install OS X. I say this should be easier.

Edited by Brabbelbla

Hi guys, finally I could boot into Mountain Lion. My problem was due to an old version of Chameleon for Windows I was using, but for now, I need a bootable dvd with ML to make it works, but at least, it works. :wink2:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, does anybody know how to change the keyboard layout?? I have the 'Windows' button, which should work as 'Command', is working as 'ALT' and 'ALT' button is working as 'Command', how can we change their behaviour??

PS: Happy new year to all.

Hello, does anybody know how to change the keyboard layout?? I have the 'Windows' button, which should work as 'Command', is working as 'ALT' and 'ALT' button is working as 'Command', how can we change their behaviour??

Not sure, but hey, iAtkos ML just released!!!!!!!! Happy new year!

PS2 keyboard kext info.plist has an option set to true.

<key>Swap alt and windows key</key>
<true/>

@TimeWalker75a

What did you mean when mentioning the 'WMI device'? The only things that came up when I searched for it, were Windows-related, which the 'freezing' problem is not. Pressing Fn+F2 in OS X causes the machine to freeze just as in Windows.

EDIT: No, it is not purely Windows-related. Of course. Still, would you mind to explain a little?

Yeah I get this too now with UEFI Clover.. seems like a common problem for SCT Dell-Phoenix. Stupid Dell will never learn.

WMI device is what you see in DSDT as AMW0. It's a bridge between hardware and software. When you press an Fn combination (expect Media keys and sound) a respective EC Query (_Q80 = Brightness Up, _Q81 = Brightness Down, _Q8C = Wireless Toggle) is called, some registers are set some values, then WMI INFO variable gets filled with data to perform certain operations and give certain output (visual mostly) that operation has been performed: adjust brightness -> display visual brightness bar.

KeyFixer, esta app la executas y ya lo tienes. Como configurar "correctamente" el teclado de un Mac

@Zpecter

Rebuilt caches after editing the plist?

@All

Not sure if this was already sorted out somewhere in this thread, but the patched IOAudioFamily found here (IOAudioFamily_1.8.9_Node#14_Spk.kext.zip) made my internal speakers to work after sleep. Woot!

• Like 1