• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
After reviewing a few posts on AppleHDA.kext based on 10.8.x, I tried a few of the kexts posted recently but I did not seem to find any that work as well as the one I found based on 10.7.3

I think this is where I found it. (it is included in a previous post.)

Ref: http://forum.thinkpa...p?f=32&t=102098
http://forum.thinkpa...p?f=32&t=102098
this site was very useful also
http://www.tinhte.vn/threads/1481524/

Anyway for what its worth attached is an AppleHDA.kext for CX20590 for Lenovo T420 with 10.8.2.
It was based on standard 10.8.2 AppleHDA, with just 4 modifications. Note: It is very similar in function to the 10.7.3 version as it has 4 ports.
  • internal speaker
  • internal microphone
which automatically switch over to use:
  • external speaker/headphone (if plugged in the jack front/right)
  • Linein/external mic (if plugged in the jack front/right)
For example, plug-in a headset with microphone and no I/O selection required. it just works!
Or if you just plug in external speakers, then the internal mic is used.

However, this version expects layout ID 12 (0x0C) in dsdt.aml.

Device (HDEF)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
				Name (_S3D, 0x03)
				Name (RID, Zero)
				Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D,
					0x04
				})
				Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
				{
					Noop
				}
		 	 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0A)
						{
							"codec-id",
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
				 			 0x6E, 0x50, 0xF1, 0x14
							},
							"layout-id",
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
							// for 10.8.x use layout12
					 		 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							// 0x6E, 0x50, 0x00, 0x00
							},
							"PinConfigurations",
							Buffer (Zero) {},
							"hda-gfx",
							Buffer (0x0A)
							{
								"onboard-1"
							},
							"device-type",
							Buffer (0x11)
							{
								"Conexant CX20590"
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

Besides the dsdt change, there are 3 files that need to replaced

1) /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
2)
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/layout12.xml.zlib
3)
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml.zlib

These are the “verbs” that are used in Info.plist

01971C30 01971D10 01971E21 01971F01
01B71C20 01B71D10 01B71EA1 01B71F01
01F71C40 01F71D01 01F71E10 01F71F90
02371CA0 02371D01 02371EA0 02371F90
01B70C02

The final change is to patch the binary to use a existing codec for the Conexant chipset.

Thanks to bcc9 who posted an excellent bin-patching script ref:
http://www.insanelym...y-for-osx107108

I added the codec info for Conexant in the file patch-hda-codecs.pl and ran:

# ./patch-hda.pl 14f1506e

{ name => 'Conexant' ,
	 target_id => 0x14f1506e,
	 patch_id => 0x11d4198b					 #Conexant
	},

The attached zip has the modified AppleHDA.kext, dsdt.aml (and dsl), and some tools/files used to build it.
updated: 11-30-2012 to be consistent with 10.8.2 kext pack below.

Attached Files

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

AppleHDA share

Thanks a lot for this share and explanation.

this allow me to patch my

dsdt.aml to learn (with other tut i got

error)

i replace my dsdt.aml with tluck same with applehda.kext. reboot is ok :)

i have sound now :)

i try to use tluck pack updated with this stuff (no boot system found)

so i get back to my pack with this new applehda and dsdt.aml with can be found in my signature
thanks to tluck with tuto is great and you made my t420 better
i will now be able to watch movie on my computer :)

honeywell

honeywell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Read through the thread, not entirely sure where we're at with of Moutain Lion (10.8.2) on the T420. What works, what doesn't work? The original post is for 10.7.3 I think. How did you guys get 10.8.2 working? What doesn't work on 10.8.2?

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Update June 18, 2013 - revised 10.8.4 kext pack - see post #117

Update March 22, 2013 - 10.8.3 kext pack is here

--------

@honeywell et al,

I moved up to 10.8.2 (made a few minor changes... updated FakeSMC, AppleHDA etc etc)
For 10.8.2 here is my updated Extra and kext pack
I previously posted my experience on going to 10.7.x (see #85) and then to 10.8.0

Note: i have this system: T420-4236 (HD3000 gfx only with 1600x900 display)

Model ID : MacBookPro6,1 KernelMode: x86_64
CPU TYPE : Intel® Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Core : 2491MHz Bus: 25MHz FSB: 100MHz
CPU ID : Ox206A7 (132775) Cache L2: 0Mb
RAM : 8192Mb HibernateMode: 0

Updated: 11-30-2012 - kext pack was re-upload (with slightly revised AppleHDA)

Attached Files

honeywell

honeywell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Thanks for replying tluck. As I understand it, in order to get OS X working with wifi on the T420, I'll need to first flash my bios with the modded bios posted in the OP, then install a new card. I looked online and found that the Dell 1510 half card should work.

The main problem I have right now is that I don't have access to a system with OS X running on it. This means I won't be able to create the USB required in tony's guide. However, I looked online for an alternative solution, and found that something called a Nawcom ModCD will be able to install 10.7.3 on the T420. After I do that, I should be able to download multibst and tweak from there. Is this a sound plan? I'm probably going to try to update to 10.8.2.

Also, kind of off topic, but the T420 that I purchased will have the HD screen (1366x768). I think it's possible to upgrade it to the 1600x900 HD+ screen manually. How would this effect my OS X install?

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
@honeywell
well you dont need a modded bios. i am running standard version 1.41. the reason people do that (afaik) is to run a non-standard pci express card. however, the built-in ethernet works and there are USB wifi cards that work. i have am airlink 101 300n and asus n10 jobbie that work fine. i use my laptop docked so its more like a desktop most of the time.

sure there are a number of ways to get up and running. its been a while but i think i used i-boot with a mac CD to get the first disk running on GPT. then i copied it over to MBR format with chameleon/chimera (or m-beast).
you could get up 10.7.3 or 10.8.x. i have bootable USB instead of CD. the low-res screen may not require the dsdt (dual-link) definition otherwise everything else ought be pretty much the same.

honeywell

honeywell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Thanks for the help so far. My thinkpad has yet to arrive, but I will probably be posting here once I get started and run into my first speedbump.

ag6952563

ag6952563

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

@honeywell et al,

i previously posted my experience on going to 10.7.x (see #85) and then to 10.8.0 (see #117)

subsequently I moved up to 10.8.2 (made a few minor changes... updated FakeSMC, AppleHDA etc etc)

i am running 10.8.2 now here is my updated Extra and kext pack:

i have this system: T420-4236

Model ID : MacBookPro6,1 KernelMode: x86_64
CPU TYPE : Intel® Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Core : 2491MHz Bus: 25MHz FSB: 100MHz
CPU ID : Ox206A7 (132775) Cache L2: 0Mb
RAM : 8192Mb HibernateMode: 0

Hi tluck-
I cannot download your file, it says it cannot find it when you click on it. Can you please check it?

Also, would you please give a quick explanation of what's required to run 10.8.2? I am on 10.8.1 and I have not been able to successfully get to 10.8.2.

Thanks,
AJ

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
@aj - odd. i re-uploaded and the attachment seems to be there now.

ag6952563

ag6952563

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

@aj - odd. i re-uploaded and the attachment seems to be there now.

Thanks tluck. The download works now. I will try to upgrade to 10.8.2 using your kexts.
Regards,
AJ

ag6952563

ag6952563

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Thanks tluck. The download works now. I will try to upgrade to 10.8.2 using your kexts.
Regards,
AJ

Thanks, upgraded to 10.8.2 using you kexts. All seems to work fine.
Thanks again,
AJ

honeywell

honeywell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Thinkpad T420 arrived. I upgraded the bios to 1.33 already, but I'm a bit confused on how to remove the whitelist (yes, I'm planning on replacing the wifi card with the same one mentioned in OP). I went to this link as posted on OP http://forums.mydigi...ll=1#post489534 , downloaded the link, but it's a folder with some files in it. How do I use it? Thanks.

ag6952563

ag6952563

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Thinkpad T420 arrived. I upgraded the bios to 1.33 already, but I'm a bit confused on how to remove the whitelist (yes, I'm planning on replacing the wifi card with the same one mentioned in OP). I went to this link as posted on OP http://forums.mydigi...ll=1#post489534 , downloaded the link, but it's a folder with some files in it. How do I use it? Thanks.

Hi honeywell-
I think that once you downgrade the bios to the modded 1.33 (by installing the executable file on that link) the limitation on wifi cards is removed, so you can basically install any compatible wifi card. If you don't have the modded bios, you get an error at boot that the wifi card is not allowed (or something like that).

Regards,
AJ

honeywell

honeywell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I decided to install OS X using iAtk0s L2 today - I read somewhere that it works with the T420. Needless to say, it was a huge pain in the ass, and it barely works. I'm able to get into the actual system and I've created a user. USB ports work thank god, but keyboard/trackpad/trackpoint don't work. USB mouse has some really weird behavior, and so does the power cable, but I won't elaborate now, it's beyond the point. I'm on 10.7.2, and I don't have internet because the card I ordered isn't here yet, so I've just been using a USB stick to transfer files over. Anyway, I installed voodoops2 and followed the instructions about ultranav in the original post, and I still have nothing in terms of native keyboard/mouse functionality. (I have to use a USB mouse and keyboard) I used kextutility to install voodoops2, then replaced one of the files in voodops2.kext with ultranav.kext, and then set the permissions again. I did forget to update kextcache, not sure if that could effect it - but that would only effect the ultranav part. Kext utility should have installed voodoops2 correctly, including updating the cache, so I'm really stumped as to why the keyboard doesn't work.

Also, to even boot, I had to remove AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and AppleIntelSNBGraphics kexts, and must use "GraphicsEnabler"="No" in order to get it to work. The resolution is horrendous. I also applied the SpeedStepper patch to AICPUPM, and also forgot to update kextcache there. (again, not sure if that matters, it probably does)

I'm a bit weary about applying Multibeaste with the DSDT linked in the original post. There are two files, one is .aml and the other is .dsl - could someone explain to me which one or both I need? Do I need to rename them to just dsdt.aml/dsl and place them on the desktop, or can I leave them named dsdt.manwe150.*? I tried it once by just copy and pasting them on to the desktop, and applying Multibeaste, and then rebooting, and I couldn't boot so I had to reinstall the entire thing from iAtk0s again (it could have been due to me installing a kext though, I was being reckless the first time I got it to boot). The CD takes 40-50 minutes to get to the install screen, so wasn't fast.

Small note - USB ports seem to not work in iAtk0s when the laptop is plugged in for charging (in fact I think the installer hangs when it's plugged in)

My top priorities right now are native keyboard and trackpad, then graphics working. Any and all help is appreciated, I'm pretty much clueless as to what I'm doing.

stevenplanet

stevenplanet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I decided to install OS X using iAtk0s L2 today - I read somewhere that it works with the T420. Needless to say, it was a huge pain in the ass, and it barely works. I'm able to get into the actual system and I've created a user. USB ports work thank god, but keyboard/trackpad/trackpoint don't work. USB mouse has some really weird behavior, and so does the power cable, but I won't elaborate now, it's beyond the point. I'm on 10.7.2, and I don't have internet because the card I ordered isn't here yet, so I've just been using a USB stick to transfer files over. Anyway, I installed voodoops2 and followed the instructions about ultranav in the original post, and I still have nothing in terms of native keyboard/mouse functionality. (I have to use a USB mouse and keyboard) I used kextutility to install voodoops2, then replaced one of the files in voodops2.kext with ultranav.kext, and then set the permissions again. I did forget to update kextcache, not sure if that could effect it - but that would only effect the ultranav part. Kext utility should have installed voodoops2 correctly, including updating the cache, so I'm really stumped as to why the keyboard doesn't work.

Also, to even boot, I had to remove AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and AppleIntelSNBGraphics kexts, and must use "GraphicsEnabler"="No" in order to get it to work. The resolution is horrendous. I also applied the SpeedStepper patch to AICPUPM, and also forgot to update kextcache there. (again, not sure if that matters, it probably does)

I'm a bit weary about applying Multibeaste with the DSDT linked in the original post. There are two files, one is .aml and the other is .dsl - could someone explain to me which one or both I need? Do I need to rename them to just dsdt.aml/dsl and place them on the desktop, or can I leave them named dsdt.manwe150.*? I tried it once by just copy and pasting them on to the desktop, and applying Multibeaste, and then rebooting, and I couldn't boot so I had to reinstall the entire thing from iAtk0s again (it could have been due to me installing a kext though, I was being reckless the first time I got it to boot). The CD takes 40-50 minutes to get to the install screen, so wasn't fast.

Small note - USB ports seem to not work in iAtk0s when the laptop is plugged in for charging (in fact I think the installer hangs when it's plugged in)

My top priorities right now are native keyboard and trackpad, then graphics working. Any and all help is appreciated, I'm pretty much clueless as to what I'm doing.

Don't use iAtk0s. Do a clean install using Unibe@$t with a 10.7 Golden master. 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 feature the infamous graphics glitches, but with 10.7 you should be fine. It'll make everything a lot smoother. Upon your first boot move everything with AppleIntelSNB* in the front to a folder called backup in S/L/E. Then once you're in run ###### with Macbook 8,1 Presets. Once you're through with that replace the original AppleIntelSNB*s and graphics should run natively. Keyboard should work as well after running multibe@st. I'm successfully running 10.7 Lion on my T420 with Sound, Wifi, full Graphics, 1600x900, Keyboard,Mouse, and even freaking multitouch haha. Just the SD card reader doesnt work but ahh who cares (in my case)

GOOD LUCK!

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

@honeywell - I agree with @stevenplanet... follow the recipe from manwe150 - thats how i got up and running on 10.7.x as well without major hassle.
you will need to put dsdt.aml (assembled machine language) version in /Extra to provide a number of definitions missing. the dsl is the source version for any mods you may wish to add. everything works except 2 ( as many point out) : SD card reader and native intel wifi.

these are the kexts installed/patched in S/L/E on my machine (many are the same for 10.7.x - except the IOAHCI delay was not needed then):

$ ls -1
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
AppleACPIPlatform.kext
AppleHDA.kext
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
AppleRTC.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IOAHCIFamily.kext
ThinkpadUltraNav.kext
VoodooBattery.kext

i recall using NULLcpupm until i got the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext in place.

I moved up to 10.8.x - it seems to be a tad less buggy as far as HD3000 buffer hangs. not perfect but it occurs way less often for my rig.

honeywell

honeywell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hhhaha, alright. The main thing that was preventing me from using tony's guide with 10.7 and Unib3@$t was that I don't have access to a Mac to format a USB as MBR. I'll try to find a Virtual (hint) way to do it, I guess. I'll get back to you guys with results soon. Hopefully it's as easy as you made it sound stevenplanet.

Edit: Actually, what the hell - I have a "working" OS X on the T420 right now, I'll just use that to format the necessary parts. :thumbsup_anim:

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
yeah a key thing is that the levovos seem to only really like to boot from MBR. I created a usb (mbr) to boot (and install) from. instead of going thru all the tricks to change the installer to support a target MBR drive, i used 2 disks. 1) installed to external EFI format disk. 2) then i copied it over to a 2nd (internal/main) drive that is MBR. then installed chimera to boot from the MBR (internal) disk. I also have an i-boot CD and SnowLeopard DVD that i used to get going what seems ages ago!

honeywell

honeywell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi again! I finally have 10.7 up and running almost perfectly - resolution/screen is great, sound works along with headphones, battery indicator works, usb works, nub works, multitouch works, sleep works, wifi works! I followed the instructions in the original post, and used MultiB34st to install the kexts mentioned in the original post, along with the dsdt linked to in the original post.

However, I still have several problems, which I hope you guys can help me fix... I went through the thread, and most posts seem to regard 10.8 or 10.7.1+, so no luck there.

prtsc does not work as a "brightness up" key. A very minor glitch is that I get a kernel panic when I boot with my headphones plugged in. Possibly a non-issue, but still relevant, is the occasional graphics lag/hang, for example if I open spotlight, type in terminal, and press enter very quickly - it will freeze for about 10 seconds then launch terminal; also, the + (zoom) button will be pretty laggy in Safari and not Finder (this might be normal or unsolvable, so it's minor). Also, one time I started up and clicked on Safari and it just froze, so I had to hard reboot. This might just have been a one time thing though. I know the dsdt installed because pressing the ThinkVantage button will increase the fan from auto to high.

A couple last questions - 1) I can't boot without the USB - is that normal? 2) Will I be able to keep all these changes when I go to 10.8.2 (and how do I update to 10.8.2 in the first place)? Or will I have to install fresh?

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and helped - you guys are a godsend.

honeywell

honeywell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Time for an update.

Upgraded to 10.8.2, using tluck's pack. In order to boot, I had to patch his AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext using the new patch that works for 10.8.x that is also in the thread linked in the original post. Overall, everything works great, except two things - I still can't boot without the USB, and I get relatively frequent ring stalls. (sometimes I must hard reboot) I will examine tluck's dsdt to see how it is edited and if it follows the guide posted in the original post. Also, I tried Clover as suggested on page 8, but that didn't work, and I still needed the USB to boot. Any help would be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy