[GUIDE] Lion 10.7 on Asus X58 (LGA 1366) i7 9xx

ErmaC

870 posts in this topic

thank you

My board is Asus P6T (vanilla/plain) and yours is P6T Deluxe so my DSDT can't be used with yours. IIRC Ermac has an updated DSDT for P6T Deluxe. as for AppleRTC.kext, I attached the one that I'm using.

Thank you, will try out the kext + the dsdt from mountain lionizer.

here is "The Patch"

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

What is the sleep/wake issue you have? Can't have a wake issue unless sleep works :)

Console logs from when you sleep and wake would be useful

you must also not be using NullAplleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

here is "The Patch"

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

What is the sleep/wake issue you have? Can't have a wake issue unless sleep works :)

Console logs from when you sleep and wake would be useful

you must also not be using NullAplleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

NullAppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is NOT installed.

My issue: When my hackintosh goes to sleep, after a while it wakes up (because of the "Wake on Lan") but hangs. The harddisks spin up, the fans are running, but there is always a black screen, and even over VNC it is not reachable. And after a short time i hear the DVD-Drive reinitializing.

If i send my computer manually to sleep and try to wake it over lan, the same thing happen.

I have to power off completely the machine, because if i just push the reset button, or push the powerbutton longer, it won't start osx.

Here the system.log from a sleep/wakeup cycle:

Oct 5 15:53:12 newcore.lan WindowServer[113]: Created shield window 0x4b for display 0x0b40b5b0
Oct 5 15:53:12 newcore.lan WindowServer[113]: device_generate_desktop_screenshot: authw 0x7f9e3b42e3a0(2000), shield 0x7f9e3c1432e0(2001)
Oct 5 15:53:12 newcore.lan WindowServer[113]: device_generate_lock_screen_screenshot: authw 0x7f9e3b42e3a0(2000), shield 0x7f9e3c1432e0(2001)
Oct 5 15:53:14 newcore.lan com.apple.time[11]: Next maintenance wake [backup Interval]:  Fri Oct 05 16:49:23 2012 CEST (approx)
Oct 5 15:53:14 newcore.lan com.apple.time[11]: Requesting maintenance wake [backup Interval]:  Fri Oct 05 16:49:23 2012 CEST (approx)
Oct 5 15:53:43 newcore kernel[0]: Wake reason: ETH0 (Network)
Oct 5 15:53:43 newcore.local configd[17]: setting hostname to "newcore.local"
Oct 5 15:53:43 newcore.local configd[17]: network changed: v4(en0-:192.168.1.3) v6(en0-:fe80::224:a5ff:febd:91f2) DNS- Proxy- SMB-
Oct 5 15:53:45 newcore kernel[0]: Ethernet [AppleYukon2]: Link up on en0, 1-Gigabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [796d,af08,0de1,0200,cde1,3800]
Oct 5 15:53:45 newcore.local configd[17]: network changed: v4(en0+:192.168.1.3) DNS+ Proxy+ SMB+
Oct 5 15:53:45 newcore.local configd[17]: network changed: v4(en0:192.168.1.3) v6(en0+:fe80::224:a5ff:febd:91f2) DNS! Proxy SMB
Oct 5 15:53:45 newcore.lan configd[17]: setting hostname to "newcore.lan"
Oct 5 15:53:53 newcore kernel[0]: Graphics suppressed 9502 ms
Oct 5 15:54:07 newcore kernel[0]: HID tickle 23687 ms
Oct 5 15:54:38 newcore kernel[0]: NVDA::setPowerState(0xffffff8025cbd800, 0 -> 1) timed out after 45392 ms
Oct 5 15:54:48 newcore.lan mdworker[293]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
Oct 5 15:54:48 newcore.lan mdworker[292]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
Oct 5 15:54:48 newcore.lan sandboxd[294] ([293]): mdworker(293) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
Oct 5 15:54:48 newcore.lan sandboxd[294] ([292]): mdworker(292) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
Oct 5 15:54:48 newcore kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(294) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd

Check the follow settings in BIOS. First under the Power section:

Suspend Mode = S3 only

Repost Video On Resume = No // you can also try Yes here, depending on prior setting

ACPI 2.0 = Enabled

ACPI APIC support = Enabled

APM Configuration = Disable all of them except maybe Restore on AC power loss

In advanced tab:

PCIPnP = Yes

You can also try dumping your SSDT tables and having them loaded by chameleon from /Extra

It would appear you problem revolves around this line here

"Oct 5 15:54:38 newcore kernel[0]: NVDA::setPowerState(0xffffff8025cbd800, 0 -> 1) timed out after 45392 ms"

and it gave up trying to wake up your GPU after 45 seconds. Do all the above and use the patch in my first post if you haven't, set your smbios for MacPro5,1 and verify AppleGraphicsPM is loaded along with AppleLPC. Can't recall off top of my head if any editing of graphicsPM is needed for nVidia or if method used to enable GPU acceleration plays a role, but I don't think so.

Check the follow settings in BIOS. First under the Power section:

Suspend Mode = S3 only

Repost Video On Resume = No // you can also try Yes here, depending on prior setting

ACPI 2.0 = Enabled

ACPI APIC support = Enabled

APM Configuration = Disable all of them except maybe Restore on AC power loss

In advanced tab:

PCIPnP = Yes

You can also try dumping your SSDT tables and having them loaded by chameleon from /Extra

It would appear you problem revolves around this line here

"Oct 5 15:54:38 newcore kernel[0]: NVDA::setPowerState(0xffffff8025cbd800, 0 -> 1) timed out after 45392 ms"

and it gave up trying to wake up your GPU after 45 seconds. Do all the above and use the patch in my first post if you haven't, set your smbios for MacPro5,1 and verify AppleGraphicsPM is loaded along with AppleLPC. Can't recall off top of my head if any editing of graphicsPM is needed for nVidia or if method used to enable GPU acceleration plays a role, but I don't think so.

Done everything what you suggested.

AppleGraphicsPM is indeed NOT loaded. But i don't know how i can load it. AppleLPC is loaded.

Didn't try dumping SSDT tables, as i don't know how :)

be sure AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded too. SSDT tables can be dumped using DSDTSE in OSX or Everest (or whatever they changed the name to) in Windows. You have 9500GT device ID 0640? If so this is one of only 2 cards that already have their info listed in the GraphicsPM kext for MacPro5,1 so make sure smbios is 100% correct, try with GE=No and Yes

Hey, I'm having a sleep/wake problem and I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat (10.8.2 with DP3 nvidia kexts): Most of the time it works flawlessly (even auto sleep!) but every so often I'm unable to wake the computer using any usb device (or bluetooth keyboard/mouse) and when waking it with the power button, the screen stays black and I have to do a hard reset.

Anyone ran into this and fixed it somehow?

be sure AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded too. SSDT tables can be dumped using DSDTSE in OSX or Everest (or whatever they changed the name to) in Windows. You have 9500GT device ID 0640? If so this is one of only 2 cards that already have their info listed in the GraphicsPM kext for MacPro5,1 so make sure smbios is 100% correct, try with GE=No and Yes

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext is loaded.

SSDT tables had no effect.

If i start with GE=No i don't get any graphics-output. I have to enable Graphics Enabler.

smbios.plist is configured with the Mac Pro 5,1 template in Chameleon Wizard.

Well, just black screen and no VNC/Airdisplay connection after wakeup. Only spinning disks and clicked-clack now and then from the dvd-drive. :)

Any more suggestions? :)

Installed the new nVIDIA graphics driver. Now it seems autosleep + wake up is working correctly. More testing.

Edited by Rossini

maybe DP3 Nvidia kexts is the problem? What Nvidia card? Check console logs after it does this as soon a you reboot and see if any error shows

GeForce 560Ti. Other kexts cause even more regular amounts of freezing :( (especially the latest 10.8.2 kexts.. there's a big thread about it on tony mac site for the 550ti)

as a general guideline, should I enable p and c state generation? use the cst using sysIO ? USB bus fix? force HPET? what settings could fix this?

also, i think I modified my AppleRTC kext. Some places i've seen saydelete the Apple TyMCE driver. Should this make a difference? What does that driver do, anyway?

Finally, I have a weird feeling that it might have something to do with the USB drivers. Are there any DSDT fixes?

Also here's the log (I left the house earlier in the day, and just now in the evening I had to reboot it)

post-166335-0-96245900-1349834500_thumb.png

Nothing that appears GPU related, looks like your USB devices might be ejecting on sleep, maybe just the UHCI (USB 1.1) devices, USBBusFix is supposed to fix that if DSDT doesn't. Most patched DSDT only have extensive edits for EHCI and sometimes UHCI gets overlooked, which has caused some problems in ML for people where in Lion it was not a problem. I use it because for some unknown reason it also increases my benchmark scores 5-10%. P&C states or Cstates using sysIO would apply to speed step, which can also be enabled via DSDT and/or SSDT. If you have HWmonitor installed with FakeSMC monitoring plug-ins, there is a CPU frequency option where you can see it go from the low x12 multiplier to whatever you set as your high multiplier in bios. Even though you'll likely have more than 2 states enabled, it will only show the high/low but in graph view can see it hitting the different states in-between. Try with and without P&C states and see if any difference in this behavior and if any difference in the cpu temps. Prob don't need force HPET, but won't hurt to use it. If you use the Perl command I posted a few posts back, that will patch AppleRTC. Some systems if using MacPro 5,1 smbios will KP during boot from AppleTyMCE, so you would know if you need to remove it :)

Here's my org.chameleon.Boot.plist, some of which is not 100% necessary and graphics stuff specific to my card, UUID stuff specific to RAID-0 booting:

<dict>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Uakari</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>ForceHPET</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GUI</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=uuid boot-uuid=92496DB5-5DB1-365B-B82B-533C19F4945B -v npci=0x3000</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>

Disabling the pretty GUI speeds up the Chameleon boot time between selecting boot drive in Chameleon and Chameleon's pass off to OSX bootloader quite a bit. Also purposely using wrong resolution for Graphics Mode because if I do enable the GUI, LogIn to Lion theme has a artifact in bottom right corner at 1920x1200.

random question: what would forceHPET do? Also, let's say we wanted to generate C and P states. There's the two separate options, and then theres the newer CST using system io option. Does that replace both of the older bits, or would I need to still have those flags enabled for sysio to work as well? (unrelated, as my DSDT seems to have all of these pre-defined, and I get speedstepping without using chameleon's flags)

I have sound working on my P6T WS Pro, but I don't have a line-in since using the updated method for 10.8. I'm using layout-id, Unicode("c"), which shows as 99 in System Report. I really want line in.

Also, did anyone get a proper DSDT going for one of these so we don't have to use the old ACPI kext? I finally gave up and started using it, but I'd rather not have to.

If you want to use the stock ACPI kext you will need to patch the AppleRTC.Kext:

To patch AppleRTC.kext in 10.8 just move it to the /Extra/Extensions and run:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /Extra/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

This keeps it nice and vanilla, and yes it must be in /Extra/Extensions or it wont load!

I have sound working on my P6T WS Pro, but I don't have a line-in since using the updated method for 10.8. I'm using layout-id, Unicode("c"), which shows as 99 in System Report. I really want line in.

Also, did anyone get a proper DSDT going for one of these so we don't have to use the old ACPI kext? I finally gave up and started using it, but I'd rather not have to.

Hey! I got a P6T6 WS Pro and sound is still not working. Did you use the system provided AppleHDA with custom .xml definition files or an entirely new kext ?

thx in advance :)

If you want to use the stock ACPI kext you will need to patch the AppleRTC.Kext:

To patch AppleRTC.kext in 10.8 just move it to the /Extra/Extensions and run:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /Extra/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

This keeps it nice and vanilla, and yes it must be in /Extra/Extensions or it wont load!

AppleRTC can be patched without moving it by changing the path

And loads fine and also included in kernel cache which can't be done from /Extra. Fixes possible sleep issues, but personally have not seen this impact ACPI one way or another, stock AppleACPIPlatform only causes large boot delay for me however and not a KP, so maybe a difference there

Hi!,

In my case, i succeded to install 10.8.2 on my P6T SE + i7 930 + AMD Radeon HD 6450 Silent with the server.app

I've got a big hard reset problem... computer reset every 3 minuts or so, or when I login or when I launch a program... I've tried to patch the AppleRTC.kext... Any idea how I can find the problem? Console doesn't seems to tell something but I'm a newbie in this.

Any help?

Overclocked?

Turbo enabled?

VT-d enabled?

Well, as a newbie, what I can tell is I don't think so... the bios is almost configured by default, with the last 0908 bios update (not patched) and I didn't followed or installed specific stuffs with this kinds of objectives. (except VT-Enabled, is it a bios option?)

For the moment, I've just succeed to install Tuxera NTFS (one of the hard disk (only datas) is NTFS) and for the last 5 minuts, I don't have a reset. Maybe the solution... I'm trying it at the moment.

EDIT: 10 more minuts without reset and normal use... but NEW RESET AGAIN... damned!

EDIT: now the system is a little bit more stable (less resets) but the problem still exist.

Is there a way to get a AppleRTC patched for a P6T SE?

VT-d is a bios option. There is VT-x and VT-d, not all x58's have VT-d, but most do. Both of them are virtualization related (running another OS virtually from inside your booted OS, like Parallels or VMware) VT-d gives added ability for virtual machine to have more direct control over various hardware. It's is not needed to run in VM and can sometimes cause stability issues. Same with turbo, which IS usually enabled by default, so unless you went into the BIOS and disabled it, it may be enabled still.

To patch appleRTC run the same command in terminal I posted earlier

This is the same for any Intel 64bit system, although some motherboards may need it more than others, and generally is only done to prevent cmos reset (all bios settings going back to default) when waking from sleep

• Like 1

This is the same for any Intel 64bit system, although some motherboards may need it more than others, and generally is only done to prevent cmos reset (all bios settings going back to default) when waking from sleep

Thanx a lot for the help.

- Original appleRTC.kext patched (original kept before, reinstaled y re-patched) using kext wizard. Rebuilt system cache.

- Bios Option VT-d not enable.

- Bios Option Turbo mode Tech was indeed enabled and is now desactivated.

The problem persist... unfortunately. It crashed and reset on login... as usual for 50% of the cases.

My question: the appleRTC patch is only to prevent CMOS reset when waking from sleep? In my case, it occure when system is awake!!!

Also, I'm trying the patch on a 10.8.2 version... is it there a problem?