SATA 6GB/s / SATA III - PCIe Card - Works in LION !

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Frankiep

Frankiep

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
hey so can i hope to get good performance from my ssd samsung 830????? O_O now i use the native SATAII slot cause SATAIII is powerful by MARVELL 9120 -.-
So can u confirm that this card works OOB (without kexts?) and it works for boot drive? Thanks

edit: i read of incompatibility with some SSDs like mine SAMSUNG 830...do u know something?

BALDY_MAN

BALDY_MAN

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 306 posts
i have 2 ssd,s one with osx and windows 7 works out of box . i can boot from any of my drives which are 2 corsair 120s Sata 3

Wanna Hack

Wanna Hack

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

The card currently shows as Unknown controller but I'm seeing if one of the other admins can help make a simple kext to change those aesthetics.

There is a simple way to address this "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" and change it to "ASMedia AHCI Standard Controller" -- or anything text that you want to be displayed. This involves installing LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext to S/L/E.

But first you should edit the Info.plist of the kext. Look under the GenericAHCI and change the string for "Vendor Name" to ASMedia. If you want to change the AHCI Standard Controller, it's the string for "Chipset Name".

This is superficial and purely cosmetic change as GenericAHCI is being utilized to support this controller under OS X. And that's exactly what System Profiler is reporting.

What would happen if you needed additional SATA ports and bought an expansion card made my BADassMedia that is similarly supported under OS X? The System Profiler would report that this card is "ASMedia AHCI Standard Controller" or whatever you'll be calling it.

Anyhow... good luck and make sure you clear/update your cache.

Ashand

Ashand

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
mine is not working...i cant see the card in the boot (might be MB configuration) ... any other suggestions?

do i need to mess with the DIP configuration?

ergot

ergot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
notshy, few questions...how is your jumper configuration? can you upload a pic? do you have a RED LED light turn on all the time on the card?

pinarek

pinarek

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
Thank for this offer for a Sata3 PCIe Card.

I hav on my motherboard (see my Signature) only Sata2 Ports. i have a SSD Intel 330 Series with Sata3 Option.

When i install this as media 1061 Sata3 PCIe card in my Hackintosh, muss install special kext for Mac OSX 10.8.1 ??

Thank you for answer.

tot318

tot318

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Install the kext I'm attaching with kext wizard and reboot, you'll see the Asmedia ASM1061 in system profile like this. I'm using 2 x Intel 330 60GB SSD in RAID 0.

Posted Image

Attached Files

pinarek

pinarek

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
hello tot318... verry thank for this tipp and kext.

I have order today by ebay this PCIe-Sata3-Card with Asmedia1061 Chip from China.

When i have this controller-card and install this in my MSI-7583 P55 GD65 Board an i select in Bios "boot first from Sata3-Card"
( I hope this option in the BIOS then there is) can i work for TRIM with Trimenabler 2.0 we bevor, with Boot from sata2 port an Motherboard ?

I see on your Picture, to you work Trimsupport = yes. Is this with TRIM-Enabler activate ?

The TRIM-Enabler change many Options in IOAHCIFamily.kext and then acts on the SATA3 controller with AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext ?

Is with you after installing the PCIe SATA3 controller card in the BIOS options in "boot select" come about ?
As you boot up your Intel SSD PCIe cards from the SATA3 controller ?
Please write times as it looks at you.

Excuse me my bad english i life in Germany and have translatet with Google Translater.

tot318

tot318

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok let me see if I understand what were you trying to ask. Yes this card is capable of booting any drives that are connected to it's ports. In the BIOS you can have the option to set the drive that is being connected to it to be the first in boot order.

Yes both of my Intel 330 60GB SSDs are TRIM enable. I'm using this application ( http://chameleon.ale...ni.it/index.php ) to enable the TRIM support on 10.8.1.

I have set my Intel 330 60GB SSDs as a boot drive configured with RAID 0 using AppleRAID software. If you are interested on doing the same setup or configuration, you can go to this thread ( http://www.insanelym...howtopic=282274 ) and read all about it.

You can install the kext even though you don't have the ASM1061 card plug in yet. I hope that I have answered all your questions.

Edited by Gringo Vermelho, 27 January 2013 - 01:05 PM.
Please don't quote entire posts when replying directly below them.

pinarek

pinarek

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
hello to318

big thanks for your info, especially the chameleon-trim enabler, that was pretty interesting, and perhaps an alternative to Trimenabler, which I previously used.

I will not set up a RAID, I just like the Intel 330 (180GB) boots on the Asmedia controller and will leave the other (3pcs SSD) to the Sata2 ports.

I have an A-Data SSD Sata2 is installed on the Windows 7 and Win8 intended as before booting from the sata2 ports on the motherboard.

Then I have a Mushkin SSD (240GB) Sata2 which runs as a general data storage.

I have found a card that I get to test tomorrow, here:

InLine ® interface card, 2x SATA 6Gb / s, PCIe, and 2-fold with RAID HDD Caddy

if I have to see if that is bootable and how to write and read speed of the Intel 330.

I'll write again then.

Greeting Pinarek

Update 20.9.2012

Today I have this card:

http://www.amazon.co...ess x1 2.0 Card

and get the runs on ML 10.8.2 under Lion 10.7.5.

The card is bootable and will appear as "IDE SSD as a depending on the type of SSD" option in the BIOS.
Then a small menu where you can see what's inside SSD in one of 2 Caddy.
Then boots normally like before the chameleon and ML 10.8.2 will boot without problems.

I tested it only with an Intel 330 Series (180GB) SSD as a simple, non-RAID option.

Now to the actual goal of the full speed of the Intel 330 Series (180GB) as an Sata third

In this card, a Marvell chip (ever not good!) 91.xx installed. I was inside the card in my MSI P55-GD65-7583 board, in a free PCIe x16 slot.

Speed ​​tests were then read and write sobering.
The write speed dropped to about 235 MB / s compared to the Sata2 with about 285 MB / s

In reading, there was profit to about 400 MB / s compared to the Sata2 port on the motherboard with only about 290 MB / s

Nevertheless, I not keep this card, I would like the map to which it is here in the thread. I think the ONLY this card also
full speed in reading of about 510 MB / s and write about 480 MB / s makes.

I ordered the map here in the thread already in China via Ebay. But will take about 30 days before it is here.

The AHCI_3rdParty_ Sata.kext goes well, the system report (About this Mac) and the Marvell chip is displayed accurately.

That was the report card to the InLine ® interface card, 2x SATA 6Gb / s, PCIe, and 2-fold with RAID HDD Caddy

Translate with Google-Translater

Pinarek

pinarek

pinarek

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
Hello again.

I have found in Ebay-USA a Card:
http://www.ebay.de/i...#ht_1430wt_1414

Have this the same Features we the Card here this here:
http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_7582wt_1429

I think yes or ?

Is in USA and have free shipping... is better as Buy in China.

I will next week Buy this Card.

ergot

ergot

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
The ASM card can work with only 1 connector the second one is not working...anyone knows why?

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
either broken, or....They have horrible connectors that will not allow sata cables to lock on, even the locking style ones, so the stiffness of the cable wiggling just a tad can break the connection (seemed to happen everytime I put the side panel back on the case. I actually put a small little square of electrical tape on the sata port (on the side without the gold pins) which gave it the little bit of extra thickness and grip it needed to keep the sata cables in place, zero problems since.

kocoman

kocoman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

(...)

I have found a card that I get to test tomorrow, here:

if I have to see if that is bootable and how to write and read speed of the Intel 330.

(...)

Today I have this card:

http://www.amazon.co...ess x1 2.0 Card

and get the runs on ML 10.8.2 under Lion 10.7.5.

The card is bootable and will appear as "IDE SSD as a depending on the type of SSD" option in the BIOS.
Then a small menu where you can see what's inside SSD in one of 2 Caddy.
Then boots normally like before the chameleon and ML 10.8.2 will boot without problems.

I tested it only with an Intel 330 Series (180GB) SSD as a simple, non-RAID option.

Now to the actual goal of the full speed of the Intel 330 Series (180GB) as an Sata third

In this card, a Marvell chip (ever not good!) 91.xx installed. I was inside the card in my MSI P55-GD65-7583 board, in a free PCIe x16 slot.

(...)

So Marvell chipset also works?

Edit: if your CMOS/bios hangs or is incompatible with the asm1061 boot rom, just keep pressing "n" on boot and it will disable the option boot rom

edit2: Has anyone got IRQ conflicts with this?

edit3: has anyone used port multiplier with this in OSX and ZFS it? (I seen post in pg 1 and pg2 about port multiplier testing but no updates)

Edited by Gringo Vermelho, 27 January 2013 - 01:07 PM.
Redundant quoting removed.

VirusX

VirusX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
bought this controller ASM1061 off ebay
http://www.ebay.de/i...#ht_1874wt_1165
plugged it into my second x16, attached my SSD to it and it works in 10.8.2 and win7 without any drivers.
needs like 3 seconds longer to boot now, because it 'detects' the card and the attached drive but whatever.
thanks for these posts here!

CJP2

CJP2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I just upgraded to 10.8.2 from 10.7.3 and have no problems with the card as well (aside from that short bios wait which occurs no matter what OS you're booting into).

andersson.j

andersson.j

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

bought this controller ASM1061 off ebay
http://www.ebay.de/i...#ht_1874wt_1165
plugged it into my second x16, attached my SSD to it and it works in 10.8.2 and win7 without any drivers.
needs like 3 seconds longer to boot now, because it 'detects' the card and the attached drive but whatever.
thanks for these posts here!

What speeds are you getting with this card?

I'm getting 207/258 MBps on SATA2 but I'd like to get the most out of my Samsung 830 so I'm looking for a suitable SATA3 PCIe card. With the price of these cards varying from $20-$200 I figure the cheaper ones might not perform as well as the more expensive ones. I don't need 4 ports and raid, only one port, full speed and trouble free installation on 10.8.2. Any recommendations?

KrypteX

KrypteX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, guys !

I've just registered in order to give you the latest firmware for the ASMedia ASM106x PCI-Express v2.0 (x1) to SATA 6.0 Gb/s add-in card, version 0.951. I compiled it myself from the station-drivers.com site.
Here you go:
https://mega.co.nz/#!IpMnUZCB!cF_tFleAJNEIYVhjMtalbXHAmvpsVvx6IcPPKibWZgI
or here:
http://www.freefileh...net/106spi24dos

You need to unpack the folder on a DOS bootable USB stick and boot into DOS (you can use Hiren's Boot CD, for example).
Then change directory to the 106spi2.4_DOS folder.
If you want to update to 0.951 in AHCI mode, run AHCI0951.bat. For IDE mode, run IDE0951.bat
If you want to go back to 0.95, run AHCI.bat or IDE.bat.
After the update completed, shut down the computer and start back up (power cycle). You should be on 0.951 (press any key to see the ROM version). From my findings, 0.951 boots quicker and has better performance.

*Note 1: For those wondering how did I do it, I took the 106spi.exe updater package, version 2.4, from tonymacx86.com and took the 0.951 bin file from station-drivers.com and made the necessary modifications to transform it into a rom file.
*Note 2: Personally, I'm using the OWC Accelsior M (PCIe to mSATA) add-in card, with an ASMedia ASM1061 chip.
*Note 3: This package is NOT the Option ROM (OROM) for any motherboard BIOS (for that, one would need to integrate the 0.951 bin file from station-drivers.com into the BIOS OROM package, specific for each motherboard). The firmware I'm giving you here is ONLY to be used for an add-in PCI-Express to SATA (or mSATA) card with ASMedia ASM106x chipset.

Hope this helps !
KrypteX

CJP2

CJP2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I'm getting speeds of about 130 write / 370 read on my Samsung840 120GB (non pro) using Black Magic Speed test as things are now, much better than my old Corsair Force3 60GB drive.

I've always wondered about the PC card showing up as an IDE device in bios so may try the above just to see if there are any speed differences with the new FW or any system differences booting into ACHI instead of IDE. Seems I've always read to set bios to AHCI to get the most benefit out of a SSD so I've always wondered if the card recognized as IDE had any detrimental affect.

Any thoughts from anyone who knows more about this?

PS: for the record, I have one of the cheap ebay cards that cost less than $20.00 shipped.

KrypteX

KrypteX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
AHCI gives you NCQ and hot swap, compared to IDE mode. So definitely AHCI recommended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy