SATA 6GB/s / SATA III - PCIe Card - Works in LION !

notshy

100 posts in this topic

bought this controller ASM1061 off ebay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/221123406872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1874wt_1165

plugged it into my second x16, attached my SSD to it and it works in 10.8.2 and win7 without any drivers.

needs like 3 seconds longer to boot now, because it 'detects' the card and the attached drive but whatever.

thanks for these posts here!

• 2 weeks later...

bought this controller ASM1061 off ebay

http://www.ebay.de/i...#ht_1874wt_1165

plugged it into my second x16, attached my SSD to it and it works in 10.8.2 and win7 without any drivers.

needs like 3 seconds longer to boot now, because it 'detects' the card and the attached drive but whatever.

thanks for these posts here!

What speeds are you getting with this card?

I'm getting 207/258 MBps on SATA2 but I'd like to get the most out of my Samsung 830 so I'm looking for a suitable SATA3 PCIe card. With the price of these cards varying from $20-$200 I figure the cheaper ones might not perform as well as the more expensive ones. I don't need 4 ports and raid, only one port, full speed and trouble free installation on 10.8.2. Any recommendations?

Hello, guys !

I've just registered in order to give you the latest firmware for the ASMedia ASM106x PCI-Express v2.0 (x1) to SATA 6.0 Gb/s add-in card, version 0.951. I compiled it myself from the station-drivers.com site.

Here you go:

https://mega.co.nz/#!IpMnUZCB!cF_tFleAJNEIYVhjMtalbXHAmvpsVvx6IcPPKibWZgI

or here:

http://www.freefileh...net/106spi24dos

You need to unpack the folder on a DOS bootable USB stick and boot into DOS (you can use Hiren's Boot CD, for example).

Then change directory to the 106spi2.4_DOS folder.

If you want to update to 0.951 in AHCI mode, run AHCI0951.bat. For IDE mode, run IDE0951.bat

If you want to go back to 0.95, run AHCI.bat or IDE.bat.

After the update completed, shut down the computer and start back up (power cycle). You should be on 0.951 (press any key to see the ROM version). From my findings, 0.951 boots quicker and has better performance.

*Note 1: For those wondering how did I do it, I took the 106spi.exe updater package, version 2.4, from tonymacx86.com and took the 0.951 bin file from station-drivers.com and made the necessary modifications to transform it into a rom file.

*Note 2: Personally, I'm using the OWC Accelsior M (PCIe to mSATA) add-in card, with an ASMedia ASM1061 chip.

*Note 3: This package is NOT the Option ROM (OROM) for any motherboard BIOS (for that, one would need to integrate the 0.951 bin file from station-drivers.com into the BIOS OROM package, specific for each motherboard). The firmware I'm giving you here is ONLY to be used for an add-in PCI-Express to SATA (or mSATA) card with ASMedia ASM106x chipset.

Hope this helps !

KrypteX

• Like 1

I'm getting speeds of about 130 write / 370 read on my Samsung840 120GB (non pro) using Black Magic Speed test as things are now, much better than my old Corsair Force3 60GB drive.

I've always wondered about the PC card showing up as an IDE device in bios so may try the above just to see if there are any speed differences with the new FW or any system differences booting into ACHI instead of IDE. Seems I've always read to set bios to AHCI to get the most benefit out of a SSD so I've always wondered if the card recognized as IDE had any detrimental affect.

Any thoughts from anyone who knows more about this?

PS: for the record, I have one of the cheap ebay cards that cost less than $20.00 shipped.

I'm getting speeds of about 130 write / 370 read on my Samsung840 120GB (non pro) using Black Magic Speed test as things are now, much better than my old Corsair Force3 60GB drive.

Isn't 130 write way to slow for a Samsung 840 on SATA3?

I get ~200 write / 250 read with my Samsung 830 512GB on SATA2 in Black Magic. Are these numbers unrealistic?Is Black Magic giving me false data? I'll try some other benchmarks when I have time.

I used to get around 110/130 before I started messing around with the disks being displayed as external, TRIM, AHCI, etc.

@CJP2: Is your SSD displayed as an external disk? Have you enabled TRIM? Maybe try to get these things + AHCI going and report back with new Black Magic results?

I'm still interested in which PCIe SATA3 card to get for maximum performance on 10.8.2. Please share any results and leads you might have!

Ok, I did the fw flash last night and there are small improvements in disk speed test - 138/write and 392/read. I think this is about on par with what my 120GB SSD can do, speeds improve with larger GB drives. Also I've read that the older Samsung 830s have better performance than the newer non-pro 840 series so your results are probably correct. I have TRIM enabled and the disks show as internal in System Profiler.

This has been bugging me for awhile now so thanks KrypteX for finding the fw, I feel much better now that the hardware is running in AHCI mode at the bios level now for the SSDs.

I found a far easier approach to making the USB bootable DOS than KrypteX, check out Making DOS USB images on a Mac download the FREEDOS.img he has at the top of his post, skip down to Prepare your USB flash drive section and follow the instructions from there. After the usb stick remounts rename the 106spi2.4_DOS folder that KryteX provided to FWDOS (or any simple filename, just makes it easier to cd to that folder in the DOS console) and drag it to the root of the usb directory.

Reboot from the usb drive and cd to the FWDOS (or whatever you renamed it) directory and run the file. For me I merely typed in "AHCI0951.bat" without quotes and it ran the fw update. Exit DOS power down the computer, start up and you're all set.

A very handy DOS.img that I'll be keeping handy, nice to just drop bios or firmware into the usb rather than re-burning CDs or building a new ISO.

CJP2, I'm glad the firmware worked for you !

Regarding the DOS bootable CD/USB drive, I just gave an example in my post (the first that came to mind). You can, however, use any DOS bootable tool that suits you better.

The point of my post was in building and providing, for everyone interested, a working 0.951 firmware (AHCI and IDE versions). I haven't seen any other successfully functioning package out there yet...

VERY much appreciated KrypteX, I had looked for fw for the Asmedia chip myself but never found the site you did.

The point in linking to the DOS.img was because not everyone (including me) remembers all their early programming and I, quite frankly, was at a loss navigating the Hiren's boot CD easily. Plus, as I mentioned, the DOS.img I linked to has all sorts of other potential uses for folks that need to flash anything from GPUs to chipsets. I should post it in another forum section.

Thanks again for putting together the driver folder.

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if other people with Asmedia SATA III have the same issue I'm experiencing with Read. From cold start, Blackmagic Disk Speed Test report Read speed of close to 400 MB/s on my Vertex. The system would sleep (or I can put it to sleep from Apple Menu), and upon wake when I run the speed test again, the Read is below 200 MB/s. I'm on Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.

Would someone see if your result is similar to mine?

1) Cold boot/restart

2) Run Blackmagic Disk Speed Test

3) Put the system to sleep

4) Wake and run Blackmagic

Thank you. This has been driving me crazy that I'm losing nearly 50% in Read.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

First I want to say thank you to KrypteX, with your help update process was very easy and super fast - it took about 2s to update ROM - AHCI0951.

Second my new Samsung 840 Pro is quite fast on SATA III, as my mb P5Q-E is limited to SATA II.

With new firmware my readings from SSD are - 340/write and 380/read.

post-695598-0-07875400-1388318408_thumb.jpg

I have an Hackintosy with Mavericks.

My PC has a free PCI Express Gen2. I would like to buy a brige from PCI express to SATA3 and connect an SSD disk to it.

What model of bridge do you raccomend to me? And what SSD model?

My Bios has not AHCI MODE, only RAID and ATA. Is this a problem?

Thanks ;)

try to upgrade your BIOS.

Hi! My Bios has not AHCI MODE, only RAID and ATA. Is this a problem?

In my case if I turn AHCI off in BIOS, OSX wont see my HDD connected to SATA ports on mobo.

This PCIe card will use AHCI any way, if you flash it with new rom 0.951AHCI.

try to upgrade your BIOS.

In my case if I turn AHCI off in BIOS, OSX wont see my HDD connected to SATA ports on mobo.

This PCIe card will use AHCI any way, if you flash it with new rom 0.951AHCI.

There are not update. So I have only RAID and ATA mode. How can I solve the problem?

If you will buy this card off Amazon, you will connect SDD or HDD to this card. Then you can forget about BIOS on your mobo, as you will use PCIe SATA card with AHCI support build in.

Okay thank you very much, so will it work both with ATA and RAID mode set in the mobo BIOS?

The only thing I have to do when I buy the card is connected my SSD to it and restore my image backup of Mavericks?

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought the Card but when I boot the PC it reports "Using PCIe gen 1" and the speed is only 170MB/S.

How can I enable PCI GEN 2?

PS My motherboard's pcie ports are all gen 2

From Dell

Gen2 x1 slot bi-directional speed — 500 MB/s

Gen2 x16 slot bi-directional speed — 16 GB/s